You are not logged in.

#26 2021-12-09 20:46:21

DrMaex

Re: Multimonitor shows black picture on boot

seth wrote:

Compositing is not active

So that's not it sad

Since the output is already enabled, what if you turn them off before?

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --off # only one of those is likely necessary - the one for the black output
xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --auto
xrandr --output DisplayPort-2 --off
xrandr --output DisplayPort-2 --primary --auto --left-of DisplayPort-0

Hi, sorry that I didnt answer. I have tried that, but it was very strange behavior. They turned off but didn't turn on again, at least as long i was patient enough to wait until i resettet the pc. I tried to turn them off in sddm Xsetup script and to turn them on in plasma script which is run at the beginning

#27 2021-12-09 21:17:42

seth

They turned off but didn't turn on again … I tried to turn them off in sddm Xsetup script and to turn them on in plasma script which is run at the beginning

Did you ensure the second script was actually invoked?

#28 2021-12-10 21:25:14

DrMaex

seth wrote:

They turned off but didn't turn on again … I tried to turn them off in sddm Xsetup script and to turn them on in plasma script which is run at the beginning

Did you ensure the second script was actually invoked?

i tried it again today, but i think it didnt run. is it possible that KDE refuses to start without an active output?

also set  to off and then reconfigure again as you suggested in Xsetup didn't work somehow. it started even with both monitors on (after a loooong time hanging in splash screen), but the secondary display went to standby. after selecting kde properties i could see thtat it was available but not active at all. after activating the primary monitor went grey and secondary remained black and nothing happened anymore. couldn't even press CTRL+ALT+F3, had to hard reboot

#29 2021-12-11 08:55:18

seth

but i think believe it didnt run

Make the script do sth. monitorable, eg. "date >> /tmp/script.debug"

also set  to off and then reconfigure again as you suggested in Xsetup didn't work somehow.

Because the SDDM script is too early if the problem is your plasma session.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p2006972
You may even want to prepend a short "sleep 5" to see whether you can wait out kscreen

#30 2021-12-14 17:25:01

DrMaex

I have tried to comment out everythink i xsetup and move turning off sleep and turning on with configuring into the plasma startup script. it was executed because the monitors went off but didn't turn on again, even with a sleep between turning on off and on. Also reconfiguring twice with a delay in between does not seem to make any difference

Here is the content of my current plasma startup script

#!/bin/sh

xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --primary --auto # this will enable DisplayPort-0 w/ the default resolution
xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --auto --right-of DisplayPort-0 # this will do the same for DisplayPort-1 and position it right of DisplayPort-0 - if it exists
#sleep 3

#xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --off
#xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --off

sleep 3

xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --primary --auto # this will enable DisplayPort-0 w/ the default resolution
xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --auto --right-of DisplayPort-0 # this will do the same for DisplayPort-1 and position it right of DisplayPort-0 - if it exists

date >> ~/kde_autostart.log

also it happened again that after after editing the configs and restart both monitors came up as expected but after second restart i has the same issue as always. I still suspect that it must be something with the timing how graphics card driver (amdgpu) is iterating over the ports and wakeup state of the monitors which a turning off and on during boot so they dont respond fast enough. When i start with one active black monitor and try to switch it on from system setting (it is makred as off but present) the whole plasma session just crashes and shows a monochromatic screen where and cant do anything except of pushing the switch button of the pc

Board footer