You are not logged in.

#26 2023-12-30 16:50:20

kermit63

Re: Userstyle to improve the default, mobile-centric, Archlinux wiki

seth wrote:

And just ftr, the reason why it's not helpful to hardcode a width is that there're actually people who look at this on a real monitor...

Yup, guilty as charged. I'm one such person. In my 8+ years using arch and reading the wiki, the only time I used my smartphone to browse the wiki is when there was this brouhaha about it for mobile devices, just to see what it really looks like. I'll be a little irritated with a small fixed width over a widescreen monitor.

But then again, I'm a cranky old man used to seeing the wiki in a certain way. So if major formatting changes were to happen, my tired old brain will have difficulty adjusting to it. smile I'll probably adjust to it eventually, but I won't be happy about it.

#27 2023-12-30 16:55:22

seth

Re: Userstyle to improve the default, mobile-centric, Archlinux wiki

@blero
The recommendation for tech docs isn't "unlimited" but 80-100 columns, more than the 50-60 columns for novels, because it's more likely to contain longer words, be "scanned" rather than "read" (ie. you're glancing through it, searching the interesting part) and addresses a different audience (code for "your average engineer is smarter than the average wine-mom", the recommendation for reading novices, ie. kids is 40cpl or less wink

Board footer