Re: kernel panic

djclue917 wrote:
lumiwa wrote:

I don't know why I have so many messages in the /var/log/everything.log:
Dec 1 15:34:35 athena sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d
rive.
Dec 1 15:34:36 athena sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d
rive.
Dec 1 15:34:37 athena sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d....

CD plays okay as before, I didn't try to burn yet.
On previous kerels I didn't have this.

Have you added 'sg' to MODULES=() in /etc/rc.conf? Basing from the device name, yung CDROM is now under the SCSI subsystem. Load the sg kernel module to create the device nodes /dev/sg?.

I didn't. CDROM is not a SCSI. Do I need it?

#27 2006-12-06 05:07:53

djclue917

lumiwa wrote:
djclue917 wrote:
lumiwa wrote:

I don't know why I have so many messages in the /var/log/everything.log:
Dec 1 15:34:35 athena sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d
rive.
Dec 1 15:34:36 athena sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d
rive.
Dec 1 15:34:37 athena sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d....

CD plays okay as before, I didn't try to burn yet.
On previous kerels I didn't have this.

Have you added 'sg' to MODULES=() in /etc/rc.conf? Basing from the device name, yung CDROM is now under the SCSI subsystem. Load the sg kernel module to create the device nodes /dev/sg?.

Even if your CDROM is not a SCSI, in 2.6.19 (+ when you have an Intel chipset), when using the new pata drivers, your IDE cdrom would be under the scsi subsystem instead of the ide subsystem. You'll know if such a change occured if the device name of your cdrom has changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sr0 for example.

I assumed that happened in your case since your CDROM's device name is sr0 and based on what you've said that your CDROM is not a SCSI.

BTW, what's the output of "cdparanoia -Q"?

#28 2006-12-06 12:23:25

lumiwa

djclue917 wrote:
lumiwa wrote:
djclue917 wrote:

Even if your CDROM is not a SCSI, in 2.6.19 (+ when you have an Intel chipset), when using the new pata drivers, your IDE cdrom would be under the scsi subsystem instead of the ide subsystem. You'll know if such a change occured if the device name of your cdrom has changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sr0 for example.

I assumed that happened in your case since your CDROM's device name is sr0 and based on what you've said that your CDROM is not a SCSI.

BTW, what's the output of "cdparanoia -Q"?

I didn't add sg in the rc.conf yet.

cdparania -Q:

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Couldn't disable kernel command translation layer

Unable to open disc.
root@athena # mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
root@athena # cdparanoia -Q
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

#29 2006-12-06 12:37:43

lumiwa

I put "sg" in rc.conf modules and I have in /dev/sg1... but error or warning which I had before is still same:
sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d....
On kernel 2.6.18 and previous kernel I never had this warning and I have KsCD all the time in the panel.
I don't understand why I need to have sg in rc.conf if CDROM works, and I also burn one dvd and cd without this module?
cdparanoia -Q give me the same result as before.

Thanks.

#30 2006-12-06 13:22:26

djclue917

lumiwa wrote:

I put "sg" in rc.conf modules and I have in /dev/sg1... but error or warning which I had before is still same:
sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the d....
On kernel 2.6.18 and previous kernel I never had this warning and I have KsCD all the time in the panel.
I don't understand why I need to have sg in rc.conf if CDROM works, and I also burn one dvd and cd without this module?
cdparanoia -Q give me the same result as before.

Thanks.

Hmmm... If your CDROM is working without sg being loaded, then I guess it's safe to say that you don't actually need sg. I thought that your problem is the same as mine. Well, it wasn't.

#31 2006-12-06 20:49:49

yankees26

Just in case anyone is curious, the way I fixed the whole ata_piix and piix problem, with brain0's help, with it hanging at boot for a long time ("port too slow to respond" or something like that).  I fixed it by doing using the ide hook and left off sata and scsi (I don't really think scsi has anything to do with it, but I don't need it) and blacklisting ata_piix and ata_generic in /etc/rc.conf.  And TADA, it worked! without any hanging about the ports too slow to respond and no ":: Loading Udev uevents" slowdown, which turned out to be caused by the "port too slow to respond" stuff happening later, when the kernel messages are suppressed.

Board footer