You are not logged in.

#26 2007-02-28 18:51:09

foxbunny
Website

Re: a possible explanation why firefox is bloated

I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but FireFox (which I neither like nor dislike) fails the Acid2 test:

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

Konqueror and Opera pass the test no problem. Is this test relevant? Not really. What does it do? It tests XHTML+CSS2 compliance to the max, including some exotic features the world can live without.

Needless to say, IE7 devs aren't planning to pass this test (ever?) but FireFox? I expected more from Gecko, sigh.

#27 2007-02-28 20:01:50

magnum_opus

Eh, the acid2 test is as much about how the rendering engine handles broken CSS2 as it is about how it handles esoteric features (they even say so on the page). It's a nice feather in the cap for opera/khtml/webcore but being able to pass the test doesn't really mean much as far as the end user is concerned as long as the rendering engine handles the broken CSS safely even if not correctly.

although this is really more apologetics for why it's not unreasonable for the IE crew to say they never plan on passing it more so than for firefox

Last edited by magnum_opus (2007-02-28 20:08:31)

#28 2007-02-28 20:47:57

Sigi

And some nightly builds of Firefox minefield have recently passed the test. There's still hope for Firefox-users wink

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#29 2007-03-01 22:56:26

noriko
Website

well the 1.9? gecko passes it, that's been around in testing a quite a while I'm sure...
but the acid2 test proves nothing really...
because the lowest common web browser == i.e falls quite a but behind the rest, and still most people use it, so web designers still have to keep it in line with that in mind, which means they never touch anything the acid2 test, looks for.

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

Board footer