You are not logged in.

#26 2022-08-11 17:25:41

seth

Re: [Closed] Lightdm was not starting after pacman update.

So the journal *never* gets synced to disc…

ps aux | grep journal
man 5 journald.conf

starts w/ listing some config locations, make sure nothing is in there that would negate the persistent storage setting…

#27 2022-08-11 18:15:50

pyrole

seth wrote:

So the journal *never* gets synced to disc…

ps aux | grep journal
man 5 journald.conf

starts w/ listing some config locations, make sure nothing is in there that would negate the persistent storage setting…

ps aux | grep journal:
http://ix.io/47jJ

My /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/volatile-storage.conf contains:

#
# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-3.0-or-later

[Journal]
Storage=volatile

Other than this i dont see anything that may negate persistent storage.

#28 2022-08-11 18:29:32

loqs

https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … orage.conf
Edit:

Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Starting Initializes Pacman keyring...
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Starting Authorization Manager...
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: SSH Key Generation was skipped because all trigger condition checks failed.
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Starting User Login Management...
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: VirtualBox Guest Service was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionVirtualization=oracle).
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan dbus-daemon[627]: dbus[627]: Unknown group "netdev" in message bus configuration file
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Unmute All Sound Card Controls For Use With The Live Arch Environment was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionKernelCommandLine=accessibility=on).
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Screen reader service was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionKernelCommandLine=accessibility=on).

Last edited by loqs (2022-08-11 19:18:17)

#29 2022-08-11 21:21:31

pyrole

loqs wrote:

https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … orage.conf
Edit:

Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Starting Initializes Pacman keyring...
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Starting Authorization Manager...
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: SSH Key Generation was skipped because all trigger condition checks failed.
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Starting User Login Management...
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: VirtualBox Guest Service was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionVirtualization=oracle).
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan dbus-daemon[627]: dbus[627]: Unknown group "netdev" in message bus configuration file
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Unmute All Sound Card Controls For Use With The Live Arch Environment was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionKernelCommandLine=accessibility=on).
Jul 23 15:45:04 Dell-G15-Aryan systemd[1]: Screen reader service was skipped because of a failed condition check (ConditionKernelCommandLine=accessibility=on).

What am i looking for here i didnt quiet understand?

#30 2022-08-11 21:33:03

seth

You seem to be running some sort or archiso live system?
Hence the volatile-storage.conf  from the archiso that *obviously* prevents logging.

I assume your other issues relate to "some sort or archiso live system"™ as well, so you might want to elaborate what distribution/OS/installation you're actually running there.

#31 2022-08-11 21:37:32

loqs

pyrole wrote:

What am i looking for here i didnt quiet understand?

The lack of journal and the presence of services used on the installation media but not supplied by any package would indicate /etc was copied across from the install media to the new installation.
What installation guide did you follow that had you do that?

#32 2022-08-11 21:41:18

pyrole

seth wrote:

You seem to be running some sort or archiso live system?
Hence the volatile-storage.conf  from the archiso that *obviously* prevents logging.

I assume your other issues relate to "some sort or archiso live system"™ as well, so you might want to elaborate what distribution/OS/installation you're actually running there.

Yes since it was my first time trying arch I used the arch gui iso which already installed few softwares.....

It still is pure arch only as far as ik like it's not a different distribution.

I can share the link or any more information about this if u need. Lemme know if I need to remove or edit that volatile storage file...

#33 2022-08-11 21:47:56

seth

pacman -Qo /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/volatile-storage.conf

And see/answer loqs' post.

#34 2022-08-12 03:15:48

pyrole

seth wrote:

pacman -Qo /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/volatile-storage.conf

And see/answer loqs' post.

The output is

error: No package owns /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/volatile-storage.conf

Also just an additional piece of info, whenever I do paru -Sua there is one extra line because of the custom iso I used:

packages not in the AUR: alg-firefox-settings  alg-xfce-settings  tela-circle-icon
 there is nothing to do

The alg refers to the custom iso I used and these 3 came preinstalled

Last edited by pyrole (2022-08-12 03:17:41)

#35 2022-08-12 06:46:47

seth

because of the custom iso I used

What "custom iso"?

#36 2022-08-12 06:51:36

pyrole

seth wrote:

because of the custom iso I used

What "custom iso"?

pyrole wrote:

Yes since it was my first time trying arch I used the arch gui iso which already installed few softwares.....

It still is pure arch only as far as ik like it's not a different distribution.

I can share the link or any more information about this if u need

The one i explained in this post, I didnt install perfect vanilla arch but a custom iso which had few softwares already installed like xfce, lightdm etc.....

#37 2022-08-12 07:04:55

seth

That's not an answer to the question, post a link or something to the iso you used.
I can tell you right away that it's probably bogus and left you with a broken system by shoving a bunch of nonsense onto your disk, but for any assessment *how* much crap it is, I need to know what iso you used specifically.

Also the obvious implication is already that unless you created the iso yourself (what's unlikely, because you've no idea what's on your system) you're technically not using archlinux, https://bbs.archlinux.org/misc.php?action=rules
It doesn't matter whether "custom iso" brands itself as a derivate distribution - it effectively is.

#38 2022-08-12 12:31:58

pyrole

seth wrote:

That's not an answer to the question, post a link or something to the iso you used.
I can tell you right away that it's probably bogus and left you with a broken system by shoving a bunch of nonsense onto your disk, but for any assessment *how* much crap it is, I need to know what iso you used specifically.

Also the obvious implication is already that unless you created the iso yourself (what's unlikely, because you've no idea what's on your system) you're technically not using archlinux, https://bbs.archlinux.org/misc.php?action=rules
It doesn't matter whether "custom iso" brands itself as a derivate distribution - it effectively is.

I used the xfce version here:

https://archlinuxgui.in/download.html#sec-3

Also I installed this because as a first time arch user, I have absolutely no Idea what the appropriate steps are to a standard installation.....
I didn't wanna follow any youtube video or third party article, I tried reading many many arch wiki's and they did help immensely, but still there is that fact that I didnt know what I needed to do exactly.

Example, if I need to install graphic drivers, or anything of that sort..... I didnt even know that i need to install them so I could not search the wiki for help there. Or installing X11 and many many packages with it I don't have the knowledge that I need to install all of these in the beginning which was my main problem.

Then there was this very big fear of mine (partitioning), I have read the arch wiki of partitions like 20 times lol but still every time i mess it up (like my issues with kernel updates) the problem is i didnt know what i did wrong and this iso made partitioning slighlty easier.

I am still trying to learn arch on a virtual machine and still I am searching for what all I really need to install in it before it can become usable for daily purposes. That was my only reason I installed this iso and not manjaro or some other distro..... I wanted to really learn arch so if you could provide any kind of help here it would be great but i understand if you refuse because its not EXACTLY vanilla.

Last edited by pyrole (2022-08-12 12:45:22)

#39 2022-08-12 12:36:07

Scimmia
Fellow

So you installed a different distro.

#40 2022-08-12 13:15:35

seth

https://github.com/arch-linux-gui
Also a discontinued one…

General Instructions wrote:

Watch tutorials on the Tutorials page for installation guide.

Did you?
Though since https://github.com/arch-linux-gui/arch- … nalisation seems to cleanup some stuff from the iso on the installed system, I guess it just copies itself there and the script "forgot" some files.

So now you have to clean up after them, congratulations.
You found one bogus file. Get rid of that so that you can inspect the journal for failing boots.
You'll then probably find more fuckup from that installer that causes your other problems - which is why we do not condone such tools.
They sell you a lie.

#41 2022-08-12 13:33:57

pyrole

seth wrote:

https://github.com/arch-linux-gui
Also a discontinued one…

General Instructions wrote:

Watch tutorials on the Tutorials page for installation guide.

Did you?

Yes I did follow all instructions.....

So what so you suggest, how do I proceed from here?

I don't wanna leave arch yet [dont wanna give up on arch yet ] but I dont know if i am ready for vanilla arch installation, I still have a lot to learn about it

#42 2022-08-12 14:29:22

seth

I don't wanna leave arch yet

This is a misconception. You are not using archlinux. At all. You're using a distribution that is an arch derivate and that put some garbage onto your hard disk (or maybe you did, idk - I'm not gonna watch some youtube tutorial to figure)

You can either try to clean up after those knuckleheads or you start over and install arch following https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide (This is NOT a click-through copy & paste guide! You have to understand what you're doing there)
If you run into problems w/ the latter, you can ask here (there's a subforum, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=17 )

That's your choice and nobody on this forum can or will make it for you.

Board footer