You are not logged in.

#26 2022-08-30 22:20:01

loqs

Re: How to bisect the kernel using the linux-git PKGBUILD? (Part 2) [SOLV]

frumble wrote:

But it started nonetheless with this kernel version and "cat /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy" reports "max_performance", even before I did set anything new, now too. The output hasn’t changed.

The kernel commit added your SATA controller to those supporting ALPM and the kernel config set the default LPM policy from CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY=3 where
The value set has the following meanings: 0 => Keep firmware settings 1 => Maximum performance 2 => Medium power 3 => Medium power with Device Initiated PM enabled 4 => Minimum power
Everything matches with ALPM being set to medium and that causing Hot Swap support to be disabled apart from the value reported by "cat /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/link_power_management_policy"

#27 2022-08-30 22:45:25

frumble
Website

But– that’s not how this should work, is my perspective so wrong? I have this problem since a 3/4 year and got desperate trying to debug my hardware cables, my UEFI settings, then later the kernel versions FOR MONTHS. It has worked before for 1,5 years OOTB and stopped working out of nowhere and there isn’t even a simple release note remark about this change that non-hackers can understand. This isn’t even a notebook but a tower PC, the setting is still called "ahci.mobile_lpm_policy" where no sane person would expect it. This is a stinking pile of nerd arrogance thrown at users.
Before this X570 board, I was on an AM3+ board which also did not ever need this obscure "ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=0" setting for SATA Hot-Plug, which you can’t even read about in popular wikis. This is a farce.

Last edited by frumble (2022-08-30 22:57:58)

#28 2022-09-03 00:07:46

frumble
Website

Still many thanks for your help!

Board footer