You are not logged in.

#26 2006-12-20 21:48:53

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: Pacman3 & Frugalware [split]

tardo wrote:

So what does someone have to do to contribute patches for pacman? I've looked around but don't see a roadmap for pacman 3...

First, join the mailing list and don't just read the archives. Start talking and asking questions. Make a patch and just submit it to the mailing list. I started doing this about a month ago and have been helping out with what I can.
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacm … hread.html
Even just today there has been a lot of activity on the list, and at least two patches for things posted.

I looked at FS but there are bugs as old as June (perhaps even older), so I have no clue which are being worked on, have been worked on, have been fixed, etc.

Ask on the list, or better yet, submit a patch. Phrak has been marking bugs as we fix them.

The mailing-list is informative, but seems lately a lot of politics is involved...

There haven't been any politics in two weeks at least, we've been getting a good amount of discussion and work done. We don't have a roadmap, but are just working on the parts we feel like we can work with.

Back to my original question... *besides testing* what does one have to do to contribute patches for pacman?

I think I covered it above, just join the mailing list and start asking questions and submitting patches on things you feel comfortable doing.

I'm sure your help (and any one else that reads this) would be appreciated on the project.

#27 2006-12-20 21:54:06

arooaroo
Website

I think what tardo is asking is to contribute in a way that is at least working on a task that AL pacman devs actually want solving. I'm guessing that he doesn't want to work on something that turns out to be the next MaxTries.

The point is that there ought to be some todo list or at least a vocal leader to keep the people who wish to work on pacman all walking along the same path. IMHO.

#28 2006-12-20 22:01:10

tardo

arooaroo wrote:

I think what tardo is asking is to contribute in a way that is at least working on a task that AL pacman devs actually want solving. I'm guessing that he doesn't want to work on something that turns out to be the next MaxTries.

The point is that there ought to be some todo list or at least a vocal leader to keep the people who wish to work on pacman all walking along the same path. IMHO.

Right on. I'm not asking for anything complicated like flyspray-type web-apps, hell even uploading a simple text file telling us what we're trying to accomplish with the next version would help.

#29 2006-12-20 22:04:06

insane

dtw wrote:

/me runs off to code an ascii art pron patch

/me asks where to sign up for testing

#30 2006-12-20 22:14:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

tardo wrote:

Right on. I'm not asking for anything complicated like flyspray-type web-apps, hell even uploading a simple text file telling us what we're trying to accomplish with the next version would help.

Right now I'm focusing on stability.  I inherited all this code, and I want to make sure it's up to my standards.

There are a handful of TODO files in cvs that you can use as a sort-of roadmap.  Also, flyspray features / bugs are always in the future.
http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcv … oot=Pacman

Mostly, it's open ended.  If you have an idea for a feature, bring it up on the pacman-dev list.  It's much the same way professional software places work - design first, then implementation.  We'll consider pacman-dev a "design meeting" of sorts.

#31 2006-12-20 22:22:05

tardo

excellent. I can work with that.

#32 2006-12-20 22:38:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Another thing that would be REALLY nice is some additional pactest support and test cases.  Right now it doesn't appear to cover all cases (i.e. pacman -Qe output, things like that).

If someone wants to work on some python, I would definitely suggest checking out pactest (in cvs)

#33 2006-12-21 12:20:05

noriko
Website

@phrak , r u sure he got [upset] just b'cos his patch got rejected?
wh? hwat? lol
i still can't sotp laughing, at the though of it..

all i can say is, i'd like to tell him one thing..
pacman is very much like the kernel and pretty much every other open-source project out there, the majority of patches r likely to get rejected, often with a request to fix one or two things.. afterall, the devs have better things to do than fix ur code ...

ahhahah omfg,
@[mod] -  feel free to delete this post if u like..

[mod-cactus]Removed lyrics link[/mod-cactus]

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#34 2007-02-21 11:01:15

krix

noriko wrote:

@phrak , r u sure he got [upset] just b'cos his patch got rejected?
wh? hwat? lol
i still can't sotp laughing, at the though of it..

all i can say is, i'd like to tell him one thing..
pacman is very much like the kernel and pretty much every other open-source project out there, the majority of patches r likely to get rejected, often with a request to fix one or two things.. afterall, the devs have better things to do than fix ur code ...

ahhahah omfg,
@[mod] -  feel free to delete this post if u like..

Aha. Okay, well you never know what was our improvments to pacman3 (before phreak joined to pacman-dev team) . He migrated many of our patches (frm frugalware tree) We send right patches for pacman3 back (after phreak joined) and acceppted.

Now there was some flame war on mailling lists. Nevermind. phreak changed the "API" (was some code cosmetics and other) and then our patch does not fit into pacman-dev code ... Then rejected with invalid .... What the hell ? We did much more work that you can see actually for pacman3. And that is backcommitted to arch's pacman. Just see pacman-dev levlist archive (before aaron and after aaron).

Half (or more) of the pacman3 new features are from frugalware team (from us) (just check the pacman-dev list..) . So better to think again when laughing at someone. ...

And developers got better things to do for fixing patches ? Oh yes for sure ... But this was not a good point, because phreak changed the API (with cosmetics) then patch wont apply. If i'M a developer and i see that a "contributor" (who contributer much more back into my project) send me a patch, and that does not apply, because yesterday i changed the API with cosmetics, then i see the patch and update it to the newer API.. (this patch was not a 200000000000000000+ lines patch so not a big "job" to fix it for new API (which was cosmetics..))

I love ppls who say opinions without backreading levlists and other things.

Regards

Christian Hamar alias krix
Frugalware Development Team
Hungary

[mod-cactus]Removed lyrics link[/mod-cactus]

#35 2007-02-21 12:11:11

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

lockage.

Board footer