You are not logged in.

#176 2007-06-06 06:18:38

gradgrind

Re: larch - latest news

( 37/105) installing fakeroot                       [########################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/fakeroot-1.7.1-1/install: line 3: grep: command not found
updating /etc/ld.so.conf... done.
( 38/105) installing zlib                           [########################] 100%
( 39/105) installing file                           [########################] 100%
warning: extracting /home/larchbuild/ArchImage/etc/ld.so.conf as /home/larchbuild/ArchImage/etc/ld.so.conf.pacnew
( 40/105) installing filesystem                     [########################] 100%

I've posted a bug report.

#177 2007-06-06 22:42:48

bt

How do you create an appendable dvd?

#178 2007-06-07 04:34:44

gradgrind

bt wrote:

How do you create an appendable dvd?

Something like this:

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -J -R /path/to/data

or

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=imagefile.iso

Just don't use the -dvd-compat option.

For subsequent writes use -M instead of -Z.

See the growisofs manual for further details.

#179 2007-07-04 15:02:00

gradgrind

If anyone's got a little time (and interest!) please test the version of aufs I've just uploaded to the larch repo. With a bit of luck it should fix some weird time-lag problems we were having.

#180 2007-07-05 20:26:38

raymano
Website

gradgrind wrote:

If anyone's got a little time (and interest!) please test the version of aufs I've just uploaded to the larch repo. With a bit of luck it should fix some weird time-lag problems we were having.

Looks good so far:

- pacman -Syu is now working.
- pacman -Sl is producing the complete list of packages right after a pacman -Sy.
- I don't experience a "cannot commit" failure when upgrading or installing packages anymore.
- Save session is working well.

I will keep an eye on it the next few days. If everything keeps working I will use it in the next release of FaunOS. cool

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#181 2007-07-07 09:42:44

gradgrind

New versions of larch (3.10) and pacin (2.7):

larch now allows (optionally) a customized mkinitcpio.conf to be placed in the profile, it will then be used to build the initramfs for the live cd. Please do not put any old thing in there - without the larch hooks it won't work! Take the version in the 'initcpio_larch' package as a starting point. This makes the ide versions of initcpio_larch redundant, and they will be removed sometime. The new example profile 'mini2' shows how to do this: aufs, ide.

I have reworked gen_repo to use repo-add from pacman, so packages with the new naming scheme should now work.

#182 2007-07-27 02:29:10

markc
Website

I'm trying out larch 3.9.1 from dev3a using larch-setup.sh on a Kubuntu gutsy system. I added [testing] so I probably got a later kernel so maybe that is the problem but when I get to the start init stage I get...

INIT: version 2.68 booting
Mounting system from boot device

and it just hangs. FWIW I also had to manually overlay pacman3 from current over larch/bin/* contents otherwise the included pacman would segfault with some kind of "floating point" error. It's pretty impressive to be able to build an AL liveCD on another system. Any suggestions to find the boot device for init ?

Update: Just checked on a coreduo intel Dell laptop, AMD 2800+ and Virtualbox, all give the same result. A Sabayon 3.3 liveCD using kernel 2.6.20 and initramfs works okay on all systems. Adding  ide-legacy to the grub kernel options does not help, neither does noapic and friends... in fact nosmp fails even earlier on my AMD 2800+ uniprocessor.

Last edited by markc (2007-07-28 04:38:23)

#183 2007-07-27 10:03:51

Flying Saxman

It seems to be the 2.6.22-Kernel that does not work with the current larch-scripts. Got the same problem. I'm using kernel26suspend2 as long as larch will work with the new kernel again. suspend2 still uses the old 2.6.21 and works with larch!

#184 2007-07-27 14:11:23

raymano
Website

It's working with the 2.6.22 kernel here. The only thing I had to do was to compile the aufs module from cvs.

#185 2007-07-28 03:36:34

markc
Website

raymano wrote:

It's working with the 2.6.22 kernel here. The only thing I had to do was to compile the aufs module from cvs.

That sounds like a better idea than reverting to kernel 2.6.21. Could you spare a few tips on exactly how to do this please ? Is it just a matter of pacman -S aufs for instance (which builds a new kernel, but how to apply to larch) ?

Update: I reread the above posting about mini2 and aufs so I just tried the mini2 profile and it seems to get past the the "Mounting system from boot device" stage but the next message is a bunch of "mount: unknown filesystem type 'aufs'" and then "INIT: cannot execute 'sbin/agetty'" etc, so it seems it's now just a problem with aufs and the etc.sqf overlay.

On my AMD system the boot stage does not get past the point where the kernel is trying to detect an SMP kernel (can't detect smp kernel) so it's not even getting to the INIT stage. FWIW I am also seeing this...

WARNING:
  You seem to have installed a package containing modules
which aren't compatible with your kernel.
Please check that this won't cause problems.
Maybe you need the corresponding package
for your kernel?
/lib/modules/2.6.21-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs/aufs.ko is owned by aufs 2.6.21cvs-3
   Package: aufs

Continue? [y/N]: y
// Kernel version: 2.6.22-ARCH
//  -> regenerating kernel dependencies

// copying cd-root to /home/admin/Desktop/Backup/Devel/larchbuild/cd
// copying kernel from /home/admin/Desktop/Backup/Devel/larchbuild/ArchImage/boot to /home/admin/Desktop/Backup/Devel/larchbuild/cd/boot/vmlinuz
//  ... using vmlinuz26
// copying kernel config to /home/admin/Desktop/Backup/Devel/larchbuild/cd/boot/kconfig
//  ... using kconfig26
// copying LiveCD profile information to /home/admin/Desktop/Backup/Devel/larchbuild/cd/profile.tar.gz
// copying additional packages/data to /home/admin/Desktop/Backup/Devel/larchbuild/cd/packages
// calling gen_larch_init to generate the initramfs
:: Begin build
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [udev]
:: Parsing hook [ide]
:: Parsing hook [scsi]
:: Parsing hook [sata]
:: Parsing hook [usb]
:: Parsing hook [larch1]
:: Parsing hook [larch2]
:: Parsing hook [larch3]
ERROR: module 'aufs' not found

Last edited by markc (2007-07-28 05:12:50)

#186 2007-07-28 04:41:44

raymano
Website

Sure, mate. Here are the steps to create the aufs module for the 2.6.22 kernel. You have to do this running in a 2.6.22 kernel environment:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@aufs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aufs
cvs login (hit enter when asked for password)
cvs co aufs
make -f local.mk

This will create aufs.ko for the 2.6.22 kernel.
Now do the following in your larch environment:

mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs
cp aufs.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs

That's it.

#187 2007-07-28 05:22:44

markc
Website

Thanks very much, this pretty well scripts your suggestion...

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@aufs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aufs
cvs login
cvs co aufs
cd aufs
make -f local.mk
mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs
cp aufs.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs
depmod
modprobe aufs

However I suspect there is a bit more to it to get this updated aufs module into the larch build. If you look above at my previous updated posting you can see the error I am getting when doing a mklarch -p mini2 ... the aufs module seems to be missing altogether. Perhaps yourself, or anyone, could put up a simple working profile for a 2.6.22 kernel build somewhere public ?

Hmm, could be interesting to have a repository of larch profiles ! Even better would be under Subversion or Git somewhere.

#188 2007-07-28 05:48:57

raymano
Website

Well, when gradgrind gets back, I am sure he will add an aufs package for 2.6.22 in his repo. Meanwhile you can create a package with a PKGBUILD that just makes the /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs and copies the aufs.ko module that you have previously created into it.

The way I do it is a little different since I build FaunOS from a separate partition on my hard drive (no pacin). All I have to do is to make sure aufs.ko is where it is supposed to be in my FaunOS partition.

I also like your idea for creating a repo specifically for larch profiles. How 'bout good old CVS? wink

Last edited by raymano (2007-07-28 05:49:37)

#189 2007-07-28 06:46:29

markc
Website

raymano wrote:

Meanwhile you can create a package with a PKGBUILD that just makes the /lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/aufs and copies the aufs.ko module that you have previously created into it.

I'm a bit lost with this suggestion. Say I created a PKGBUILD that emulated the steps listed above to build aufs.ko, quite feasible I think, then how would I make sure the package content (aufs.ko) is included into the kernel modules area that is installed within the pacin (larchbuild/ArchImage) area ?

The way I do it is a little different since I build FaunOS from a separate partition on my hard drive (no pacin). All I have to do is to make sure aufs.ko is where it is supposed to be in my FaunOS partition.

Is the separate partition so  you can boot into the system and make sure it works, and tweak it further before it becomes the liveCD system ? Or, why do you do it this way ?

I also like your idea for creating a repo specifically for larch profiles. How 'bout good old CVS? wink

3 things, subversion doesn't require the login step so it's easier to script, there is a better GUI tool (ksvn for me), and it's possible to include other external subversion repositories from within a single invocation (not possible with CVS) so pulling in this mythical profile repo could also update a dependent larch repo, if one existed. Git is altogether better again becuase it does not rely on any central repo at all, every instance is also a potential master repo, also much lighter in usage than either SVN or CVS and there is also a simple GUI app called qgit.

FWIW my aim with larch is to produce a liveCD that includes larch and is setup to make it as easy as possible to create a new custom larch based liveCD, with some simple GUI options to do so... start with bash/kdialog, maybe Kommander scripts and eventually maybe a simple KDE4 C++ frontend, or use PHP-QT.

Update: Thanks for the hints about aufs, I managed to boot all the way after copying the system aufs.ko module created from the above steps into .../larchbuild/ArchImage/lib/modules/2.6.22-ARCH/kernel/fs/ then did a chroot .../larchbuild/ArchImage/ and a depmod, then rebuilt the iso image with mklarch -b -p my_profile. VirtualBox doesn't get past the SMP kernel check on my AMD uniprocessor box but it works on my Intel coreduo laptop.

FWIW I have noticed an error at the "Configuring System Clock" stage since using kernel 2.6.22 in general, /sbin/hwclock is segfaulting at line 236 of /etc/rc.sysinit.

Last edited by markc (2007-07-28 07:34:40)

#190 2007-07-28 12:51:53

raymano
Website

Glad you got it working.

Yes. The separate partition I have is for booting into and customization. This is how FaunOS (http://www.faunos.com) gets built.
I do agree that both subversion and GIT are superior to CVS. The reason I mentioned CVS was for remaining consistent with Arch.

Last edited by raymano (2007-07-28 12:52:42)

#191 2007-07-29 06:41:14

markc
Website

Here is a PKGBUILD for aufs from CVS at Sourceforge that works with a 2.6.22 kernel. Make a directory at /var/abs/local/aufs2622 and copy and paste the contents below to a file called PKGBUILD, cd into /var/abs/local/aufs2622 and run makepkg and copy the resulting pkg.tar.gz somewhere that you keep your custom binary packages where it can be included into the larch build using the custom repo facility (read larch docs). This is basically a copy of the PKGBUILD from community/aufs-utils with some additions from raymanos previous post about compiling aufs from the Sourceforge cvs repository.

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.4 2007/07/17 08:38:04 dtw Exp $
# Packager: Mark Constable markc.at.renta.dot.net

pkgname=aufs2622
pkgver=20070729
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="aufs cvs"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://aufs.sourceforge.net/"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL')
makedepends=('cvs')
conflicts=('unionfs')
provides=('unionfs')
options=('!libtool')

_cvsroot=":pserver:anonymous:@aufs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/aufs"
_cvsmod="aufs"

build() {
  export MAKEFLAGS="-j1"
  cd $startdir/src/

msg "Connecting to $_cvsmod.sourceforge.net CVS server...."
  cvs -d$_cvsroot checkout $_cvsmod > /dev/null 2>&1

msg "CVS checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Compiling aufs module"

cd $startdir/src/aufs
  make -s -f local.mk || return 1
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/aufs
  install $startdir/src/aufs/aufs.ko $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/aufs
}

#192 2007-08-08 05:05:44

gradgrind

Hi, I'm back. I've uploaded an aufs package for 2.6.22, so please try it and let me know if there are any problems.

#193 2007-09-09 17:44:18

Sigi

There is something wrong with the repo:
Fehler: failed retrieving file 'larch.db.tar.gz' from archie.dotsrc.org : Protocol error
Fehler: Konnte larch nicht synchronisieren: Protocol error

Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#194 2007-09-09 19:56:09

gradgrind

Sigi wrote:

There is something wrong with the repo:
Fehler: failed retrieving file 'larch.db.tar.gz' from archie.dotsrc.org : Protocol error
Fehler: Konnte larch nicht synchronisieren: Protocol error

Cheers Sigi

That's probably dotsrc.org having trouble with their servers. See www.dotsrc.org

#195 2007-09-09 21:45:02

Sigi

Possibly...

News on dotsrc.org wrote:

Server breakdown
Saturday September 8th 2007
Unfortunately one of our servers broke down last night. This means that mail-services is currently unavailable. We are working on a solution but is seems that we won't get everything back to normal before monday.

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#196 2007-09-15 18:26:50

gradgrind

Thanks to raymono (the faunos developer), the larch repository is now available on his site:

http://www.faunos.com/larch/repo

He has also set up a forum for larch, see:

http://forum.faunos.com/

#197 2007-09-15 20:52:28

tolsis

Thanks, i also managed to build a live usb larch while archie was down by adding the larch packages from /var/cache/pacman to my custom packs folder smile

#198 2007-09-21 09:50:42

Kenzu

hey

I'am stock with "INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty", I think it has something to do with aufs?

In my addedpacks I have put aufs and initcpio_larch_aufs in top.
Added

[larch]
Server = http://www.faunos.com/larch/repo/

in my pacman.conf

anything I'am missing?

#199 2007-09-21 10:39:20

gradgrind

Kenzu wrote:

hey

I'am stock with "INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty", I think it has something to do with aufs?

Added

[larch]

in my pacman.conf

anything I'am missing?

Which kernel? Any other error messages?

#200 2007-09-21 11:16:42

Kenzu

gradgrind wrote:
Kenzu wrote:

hey

Added

[larch]

in my pacman.conf

anything I'am missing?

Which kernel? Any other error messages?

Kernel 2.6.22-ARCH (standard kernel)
other error messages... hmm no.... don't think so

EDIT: Tell's me that it cannot read base.sqf

Last edited by Kenzu (2007-09-21 11:22:36)

Board footer