You are not logged in.

#26 2007-01-17 10:33:30

Zoranthus

Re: Proposal for a new archlinux logo

I like freigeist's logo alot for it's design, but I think it lacks simplicity. If I just saw it somewhere without paying much attention, I would not remember anything but maybe the colors later. "Four white arches on blue ground" is too much to remember on the long run. "Blue 'A' " sticks better.

There's probably still room for improvement - I'm no expert at all, but maybe we could force some golden sections into the many relations there are between position, length, dimension and expansion of the two arches.

#27 2007-01-17 19:11:08

Acid7711
Website

I absolutely love the ones you uploaded with your first post. Great work. I wish I had the abilities to make things like that.

#28 2007-01-22 12:07:28

Mikos
Website

I love current Arch Linux logo much more than logo you have presented in this thread. It is nice, but I don't like that "multiple-archs" approach. I don't want current Arch logo to be changed, I really like it.

#29 2007-01-22 21:43:41

NeOnsKuLL

The logo freigeist did looks nice, but I really prefer the current Archlinux logo. That's my opinion.

See you.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz | 2x1GB 667MHz | 250+750GB Seageate SATAII | Samsung 19" TFT 1440x900
Openbox + obmenugen + PyTyle | bmpanel2 | oblogout | conky | pyBgSetter (with Esetroot as backend)
Projects: obmenugen, pyBgSetter

#30 2007-03-20 17:51:38

bjorn
Website

I  LOVE your logos. Do you mind if i use those for my unofficial arch site?

I never said anything about that.
(archlinux.no)

#31 2007-03-21 07:46:57

freigeist

bjorn wrote:

I  LOVE your logos. Do you mind if i use those for my unofficial arch site?

Feel free to use them.

Last edited by freigeist (2007-03-21 07:47:13)

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#32 2007-03-21 12:11:47

eyolf
Website

Two cents here:
I think the current logo works, but there are some buts:
1. I never saw it as an "A" until reading this thread. The blue arch is nice - clearly an arch, but not just a simple "up, bend, down" - it has some character. But the black one? It disrupts the perspective, it's shaped so differently from the blue one (pointed edges, positioned at a specific place on the left leg of the blue) that it seems intentional, but what the intention is, beats me.
2. The shadow - what is it a shadow of? Certainly not of any of the arches.
3. The gradient effects on both of the arches together with the shadow suggest some kind of lighting, a perspective, a 3d effect, but it seems inconsistent: I don't get a clear impression of what kind of beast this is. Again, the main culprit is the black arch; the only way the light could fall on it the way the effects indicate, would be if it was seriously warped... or at least twisted somehow, which makes me wonder "why is that strip of iron back there twisted like that", rather than thinking: "hey, cool logo".

My first-glance impression of it has always been that the black arch is the shadow, but then I've seen the real shadow, and the positioning of the black one, which rules out that possibility. But for a revised design, I'd suggest working with such a possibility, perhaps even letting the shadow fall in such a way as to make the "A" character clearer.
On a related note, IF it is supposed to look like an A, there should perhaps be a closer association between the font for the name and the shape of the A.

#33 2007-06-16 20:24:47

guano
Website

I like them both.
freigeist, do you mind sharing some svg's ?

BTW, does anyone know which is the font used in the "official" logo?

cheers

"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke

#34 2007-06-16 23:25:04

iphitus
Forum Fellow

guano wrote:

I like them both.
freigeist, do you mind sharing some svg's ?

BTW, does anyone know which is the font used in the "official" logo?

cheers

yep, I did a search for it a while back. The font is Karat. Unfortunately, the Karat fontset costs money, but you can get a shareware version which contains the font used for the 'linux' part. http://www.rubicon.ca/samp_pg3.htm

James

#35 2007-06-29 13:08:24

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I love the "new" logos. I would really appreciate if I could get hold of some SVG's pleeeeeeeeease smile You know I could make some nice wallpapers and stuff..
Thanks smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#36 2007-06-29 15:47:43

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

finferflu:
http://www.archlinux.org/art/
The svg is linked under the logo. The one the site is using is the second one down on the left side.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#37 2007-06-29 22:46:01

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Cactus, I meant the other logos, the ones made by freigeist. I can't seem to see them on that page. I've already used the current logo for a wallpaper, but I would like to use more logos. I like the idea of a flexible logo. It gives the impression that Arch is not a prepackaged distro (I mean "ready-made", like Ubuntu, OpenSuSe and so on), but a concept. Well I don't know if that sounds correct, but I hope you get my point anyways big_smile

Thanks anyways smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#38 2007-06-29 23:15:55

slackhack

i really like the transparent multiple arches. i don't like the white ones at all. cactus makes a very important point about scalability. it might not work on that basis alone, or it might be useful only in certain contexts.

the only other comment i would have is that the black font should be the same as the one in the arches (which is a much cooler looking font, imho). the black one looks kind of dated, like a tech company in the 80-90s or something. plus it just should be the same on general principle, b/c they're similar (both with the dot under the A, for example), so when some things don't match (e.g., the R or the H) it makes it look like a "mistake" or kluge. nice job overall though.

Last edited by slackhack (2007-06-29 23:18:47)

#39 2007-06-30 05:46:29

pedepy

I like the new logo a lot personnally ... used it as fbsplash screen for a while until I got bored ... I dunno if its really important for the logo to be simple ?? .. whats that about the current logo needing only two colors ? just look at it at the top left corner of this forum page .. it as gradients and all .. so why not the 4 transparent arches ? ... eye candy is (perhaps sadly) pretty important these days ... i think alot of people for instance are attracted to gentoo for its logo and available artwork (only to bump into what gentoo actually is later on..)..

aint no shame in looking beautiful ... and if you REALLY want my opinion regargin simplicity, it think that new proposal is much "simpler" in design than the old arch .. arch ! ..

so yeah id love to see it adopted on "official" arch linux projects. that were my two cents. smile<

(by the way Ive been meaning to create artwork based on this new arch logo myself, but I cant find a "template" to work from .. like a muti layered .xcf file or .svg image, just the arches , you know ? care to make that available ? to create splash screens and wallpapers and all..)

Last edited by pedepy (2007-06-30 05:48:04)

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#40 2007-06-30 06:09:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

finferflu wrote:

Cactus, I meant the other logos, the ones made by freigeist.
Thanks anyways smile

haha.
whoops.
yeah. I had completely misinterpreted your question.

tongue

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#41 2007-06-30 07:38:54

emmybear

I think that this logo looks really neat, but it would probably be best to upgrade to a better looking or whatever version of the current Arch logo simply because of its scalability and how it is well known at this point. On the other hand, I still think that the current logo looks really neat. :3

It would be neat to include several options via some arch-fanart package or something like that though. Perhaps sometime in the future, and for now people can brainstorm and stuff. ;3

#42 2007-06-30 13:45:26

pelle.k

i think alot of people for instance are attracted to gentoo for its logo and available artwork

Totally agree! I've always thought gentoo wallpapers, splash screens, logos etc were the best.
btw, shouldn't _we_ be the ones with a shiny silver pacman?
Why did they rob us of pacman!? Why, oh why!?

The current logo looks a bit too much "the 60's". The "Star Trek" connection just make that impression stronger. But i agree a logo should be kept simple.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#43 2007-07-01 01:48:56

Mikko777

pelle.k wrote:

i think alot of people for instance are attracted to gentoo for its logo and available artwork

Totally agree! I've always thought gentoo wallpapers, splash screens, logos etc were the best.
btw, shouldn't _we_ be the ones with a shiny silver pacman?
Why did they rob us of pacman!? Why, oh why!?

The current logo looks a bit too much "the 60's". The "Star Trek" connection just make that impression stronger. But i agree a logo should be kept simple.

+1

Wohooo interesting first time i agree with a swede! big_smile

(if you mean that gayfreist's logo rocks!)

big_smile

#44 2007-07-06 21:31:48

osc~
Website

PLEASE change the current logo.
it really looks like  the star trek logo, for me that is a turn off.
i like the slackware logo and the gentoo logo as well. not too geeky not too messy. just fine.
i liked freigeist's logo. it is a bit agressive like the claws of a lynx but without being explicit.
also the font should not be proprietary. that is a must!
cheers

#45 2007-07-06 22:44:33

thayer
Fellow
Website

osc~, this is one topic we do agree on smile

I've been thinking about it for a while now and your post caused me to finally sit down and draft up an idea or two.  Here's something I whipped up in Fireworks:

arch-logo-draft02-thayerw.gif

I don't have access to the karat typeface, however I do agree it would be nice if it was open source, or if Arch owned the rights to distribute.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-07-06 22:45:24)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#46 2007-07-06 23:35:40

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

those look neat thayer.
I like the blue one.
smile

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#47 2007-07-06 23:49:35

ProzacR

Ahh, I am adicted to old logo.

#48 2007-07-07 02:44:11

pelle.k

those look neat thayer.
I like the blue one.

I want the white one!

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#49 2007-07-07 05:59:13

thayer
Fellow
Website

Glad you guys like'em... the top 3 were the primary ideas, a 1-colour, a 2-colour (b&w mixed) and a 3-colour using a shade of blue similar to Arch's existing logo colours.  The bottom 3 were just examples of what folks could do with it.

I'm a fan of simple logos, nothing layered or too fancy... I think it's safe to say that the most recognized logos in the world are simple 1 and 2 color designs... no gradients, drop shadows or anything of the sort.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#50 2007-07-07 19:09:44

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

If you look at the branding for any major and identifiable logo like Chevrolet, for instance, it goes through many many updates, while still remaining true to the original.
http://images.google.com/images?q=chevr … ision&cd=1
Some are red, blue, silver, gold, a combination, but they are all easily ane certainly identifiable as "Chevy".

I think this is a recipe for success. Namely, keep the Arch logo, but stretch it, facelift it, add color, remove color, wait for the original to become "classic", and then revamp the classic, and move on.
Looking at chevy logos from the 60's and comparing them to those on new cars, one can unmistakenly identify what they're looking at.

My $.02 is keep the same logo, but jazz it up in various forms, while keeping it true to the original.
Also, it's OK to have more than one logo! Harley Davidson has quite a few ways of writing "Harley Davidson", but all are, again, unmistakenly identifiable.

Board footer