You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-05 16:47:36

foxbunny
Website

digiKam odd behavior

When I browse albums in digiKam, I can see that with each thumbnail generated, memory gets consumed. The more thumbnails get shown, the less free memory I have. Finally, after I browse through 200-300 photos, digiKam eats up all the swap space and the system is no longer responding.

I checked the bug tracker for digikam, but no one seems to have had any similar experience. The KSysGuard is showing that the most memory is being used by a process called 'kio_digikamthumbnail'. If I kill the process, the memory gets freed and the systems stabilizes.

Is this a kio_digikamthumbnail bug, or is it just Arch package issue? Is kio_digikamthumbnail part of digikam, or is it some KDE component? (In other words, where do I file the bug report?)

This has been going on since 0.9.0. Before that it was okay.

#2 2007-01-05 20:10:27

dienadel

Re: digiKam odd behavior

I have similar behaviour, but only when new photos are shown... better, when each thumnail is generated are saved in $HOME/.thumbnails/large. Once that album has its thumnails, all goes fine.

#3 2007-01-05 20:25:20

foxbunny
Website

Re: digiKam odd behavior

Yeah, I've just discovered that, too. But it's a bit awkward, since I've just recovered some thousands of photos from my crashed HDD and I need to have them indexed. Also, I notice my swap partition doesn't get emptied after I shut down digiKam.

Is there a way to flush swap space by force? Physical memory is half-empty, so I see no reason for swap space to be used. (I have 512Mb RAM + 512Mb swap space.)

Board footer