You are not logged in.

#26 2023-10-14 14:16:30

Ranon

Re: Solved: Polydock Requires X11 - Using X11 - Computer is confused

Thanks again for getting back to me. I have read the github links you provided and the solution to the issue was not super obvious to me

What did you mean by "This looks shady"..? is that in a I am hacked context or just the program being silly?

I read through the error message and cannot make too much sense at what I am looking at...

I may require a simpler explanation of what the error is and how to fix it.

As far as I can tell.. one of the files needs to be edited to include gtk_init and that the XServer is not using providing the correct paths to Polydock or Polydock is not attempting to open up a socket?

#27 2023-10-14 15:09:37

seth

It's "shady" because the client tries to getpeername on stderr instead of a a socket (typically FD 3 becomes the X11 socket) - I don't think there's anything hacked, it's just a completely unexpected and nonsensical call (leading to an error)

I *suspect* that polydock fails to run gtk_init or establish an X11 connection by other means before attempting to use wnck and based on teh upstream bug (and every bit of info you've provided) I don't think think this is something about your config but simply a bug in polydock. It might have silently relied on gtk_init (that's a C function, I've no idea what the JS bindings/invocation look like) being called by something else™ but now wnck fires before something else™ and runs against a wall.

#metoo on https://github.com/folke/polydock/issues/54 and get the developer to fix that.
I suspect the cause is around https://github.com/folke/polydock/pull/55/commits - but that's purely circumstancial speculation.

#28 2024-03-07 05:12:04

Ranon

After some time looking at it I have decided to use a different set up. Thanks again for everyone for replying and helping out.

Board footer