You are not logged in.

#51 2009-08-27 03:27:55

sand_man
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-06-10
Posts: 2,164

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

I switched my server from Arch to FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE last week and I absolutely love everything about it!
Don't worry Arch, I love you too. FreeBSD would never work on my laptop so there is always a place for you. wink


neutral

Offline

#52 2009-09-01 14:01:21

oli
Member
From: 127.0.0.1
Registered: 2006-02-07
Posts: 164
Website

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

CodeBlock wrote:
SpeedVin wrote:

What vesion of FreeBSD you are using 7.2 or 8.0 Beta 1?

7.2-RELEASE. Thinking about trying 8-BETA2, have not yet though.

As far as VM software, VirtualBox works for me on BSD, however it is not complete yet. VMware3 is in ports. As I don't use VMware I'm not sure how old that is, but it is there- it uses Linux compat, another nice BSD feature.

VMware port in FreeBSD is old as a rock and not usable with SMP or multicores.


Use UNIX or die.

Offline

#53 2012-01-20 16:51:46

Chowchilla
Member
Registered: 2011-11-13
Posts: 46

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

Anyone here given the recently released FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE a whirl?

I ask because I'm thinking of trying it out on my desktop, about a decade old, which is in need of a stable OS. Have been using Debian Squeeze, but have had some issues.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips in advance of me installing it.

(In the meantime I have my Arch lappy.)

Offline

#54 2012-01-20 17:39:10

hadrons123
Member
From: chennai
Registered: 2011-10-07
Posts: 1,249

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

I have installed FreeBSD 9.0.
If you are thinking about installing gnome,just forget about FreeBSD.Go install ghostBSD or something else.It will save your time.

Apart from that if you want to tweak the OS, you can go digging all the way!


LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Offline

#55 2012-01-20 18:49:11

ratcheer
Member
Registered: 2011-10-09
Posts: 516

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

hadrons123 wrote:

If you are thinking about installing gnome,just forget about FreeBSD.Go install ghostBSD or something else.It will save your time.

I agree 100%!

Tim

Offline

#56 2012-01-25 18:18:00

Chowchilla
Member
Registered: 2011-11-13
Posts: 46

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

hadrons123 wrote:

I have installed FreeBSD 9.0.
If you are thinking about installing gnome,just forget about FreeBSD.Go install ghostBSD or something else.It will save your time.

Apart from that if you want to tweak the OS, you can go digging all the way!

Why exactly is that? Update times?

Would XFCE fare any better? Or should I just use a custom DE like my Arch setup (Openbox, tint2, etc.)?

Offline

#57 2012-01-25 23:35:42

hadrons123
Member
From: chennai
Registered: 2011-10-07
Posts: 1,249

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

Setting up the desktop with auto-mounting devices on gnome 2 is not working in 9.0-RELEASE.For that matter I am not able to auto-mount devices at all.The packagekit has a bug and lots of other issues too.Gnome-shell doesn't build.I don't think gnome 3 will appear on FreeBSD anytime soon.

edit:

For the list of current problems

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free … 26874.html

Last edited by hadrons123 (2012-01-28 19:10:14)


LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Offline

#58 2012-01-26 00:09:33

/dev/zero
Member
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2011-10-20
Posts: 1,176
Website

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

Chowchilla wrote:

Anyone here given the recently released FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE a whirl?

I ask because I'm thinking of trying it out on my desktop, about a decade old, which is in need of a stable OS. Have been using Debian Squeeze, but have had some issues.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips in advance of me installing it.

(In the meantime I have my Arch lappy.)

I tried FreeBSD 9.0. I generally like it. I decided not to stick with it because I couldn't get it to work with geli.


Linux is NOT Windows | The Rootless Root
Toshiba Satellite i5-3230M 2.6GHz CPUs, 4Gb RAM, ArchLinux, wmii, nVidia GeForce GT 740M.

Offline

#59 2012-01-26 02:56:16

hadrons123
Member
From: chennai
Registered: 2011-10-07
Posts: 1,249

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

They say documentation is good in FreeBSD, but for routine troubles and hiccups there is not enough documentation on website.This is exactly where Arch Linux wins with wiki and moreover our forum is great.The ports are good in FreeBSD compared to ABS but updating ports is such PITA and a whole system update, like 'pacman -Syu' functionality in FreeBSD shall take 3-4 days and it definitely pushes the older hardware to its limits. binary update is not very good, pkg_add is not available for RELEASE versions with recent updates.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2012-01-26 02:56:46)


LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

Offline

#60 2012-02-14 21:28:38

Janarto
Member
From: Paris
Registered: 2008-09-23
Posts: 80

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

i'm considering switching one of my laptops to freebsd 9.0 for a number of reason

- I would like to check if there is a notable difference in system stability on long uptime
- I like the BSD licence better than the GPLv2 and v3. Even if love Eben Moglen's work, i disagree with some of his arguments (mainly i think that the gplv3 will slow down and not accelerate the use o free software.
- I think there is an issue with the fact that linux as a central role, so that in the end, linux is not really more "bazaar" than "cathedral"
- I like the BSD init and that's why i love arch as a linux distribution
- I would like to give llvm / clang a try
- I don't really think of something that you can do on a linux distro but not on bsd
- i think the daily experience of a kde or dwm user is the same on both platform

Offline

#61 2012-02-14 21:32:34

neowolf
Member
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2008-01-27
Posts: 105

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

Janarto wrote:

i'm considering switching one of my laptops to freebsd 9.0 for a number of reason

- I would like to check if there is a notable difference in system stability on long uptime
- I like the BSD licence better than the GPLv2 and v3. Even if love Eben Moglen's work, i disagree with some of his arguments (mainly i think that the gplv3 will slow down and not accelerate the use o free software.
- I think there is an issue with the fact that linux as a central role, so that in the end, linux is not really more "bazaar" than "cathedral"
- I like the BSD init and that's why i love arch as a linux distribution
- I would like to give llvm / clang a try
- I don't really think of something that you can do on a linux distro but not on bsd
- i think the daily experience of a kde or dwm user is the same on both platform

I'm planning to do the same.. on my next desktop. It's too painful to stick just to packages for updates with FreeBSD in my experience, and my laptop isn't really up for all that compiling.

Offline

#62 2012-02-14 21:33:46

Janarto
Member
From: Paris
Registered: 2008-09-23
Posts: 80

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

hadrons123 wrote:

They say documentation is good in FreeBSD, but for routine troubles and hiccups there is not enough documentation on website.This is exactly where Arch Linux wins with wiki and moreover our forum is great.The ports are good in FreeBSD compared to ABS but updating ports is such PITA and a whole system update, like 'pacman -Syu' functionality in FreeBSD shall take 3-4 days and it definitely pushes the older hardware to its limits. binary update is not very good, pkg_add is not available for RELEASE versions with recent updates.

to me this is the main issue, most freebsd supporters agree that the binary side is not really well supported and that's a drain on this os

Offline

#63 2012-02-14 21:35:02

Janarto
Member
From: Paris
Registered: 2008-09-23
Posts: 80

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

neowolf wrote:
Janarto wrote:

i'm considering switching one of my laptops to freebsd 9.0 for a number of reason

- I would like to check if there is a notable difference in system stability on long uptime
- I like the BSD licence better than the GPLv2 and v3. Even if love Eben Moglen's work, i disagree with some of his arguments (mainly i think that the gplv3 will slow down and not accelerate the use o free software.
- I think there is an issue with the fact that linux as a central role, so that in the end, linux is not really more "bazaar" than "cathedral"
- I like the BSD init and that's why i love arch as a linux distribution
- I would like to give llvm / clang a try
- I don't really think of something that you can do on a linux distro but not on bsd
- i think the daily experience of a kde or dwm user is the same on both platform

I'm planning to do the same.. on my next desktop. It's too painful to stick just to packages for updates with FreeBSD in my experience, and my laptop isn't really up for all that compiling.

I intend to use a very small (suckless like) system with dwm, dmenu, surf, urxvt ...

Offline

#64 2012-02-14 22:34:24

1archgamenon2
Banned
Registered: 2011-07-12
Posts: 201

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

Chowchilla wrote:

Chowchilla
2012-01-20 13:51:46

dude...https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette#Old_Threads.2F.27Necro-Bumping.27

Offline

#65 2012-02-14 23:38:35

/dev/zero
Member
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2011-10-20
Posts: 1,176
Website

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

1archgamenon2 wrote:
Chowchilla wrote:

Chowchilla
2012-01-20 13:51:46

dude...https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette#Old_Threads.2F.27Necro-Bumping.27

  1. There exist exceptions to that rule; Chowchilla's post was valid in context.

  2. You're three or four weeks late.

  3. If you do see a necrothread, you should report it to the mods and let them handle it.


Linux is NOT Windows | The Rootless Root
Toshiba Satellite i5-3230M 2.6GHz CPUs, 4Gb RAM, ArchLinux, wmii, nVidia GeForce GT 740M.

Offline

#66 2012-02-15 01:23:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow
From: Between Thailand and Singapore
Registered: 2009-03-17
Posts: 6,831

Re: Arch vs FreeBSD

I'll just close this as its pretty old and probably not representative of current status (at least the first two pages). If someone starts a new thread on the topic he/she can just link back to this one.


Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB