You are not logged in.

#26 2024-03-14 13:53:14

colegu

Re: [SOLVED]crash during system update, xorg-x11 not working, only wayland

i'm completely lost
i've explicitly specified "keycode 108 = Alt_R Meta_R" in my .Xmodmap file, yet the systemd log is still full of that message complaining about the missing meta key.

xset dpms force off

this does nothing in particular except adding an extra flicker on its own. but the problem still persist, and it really makes plasma/x11 completely unusable.

i don't think the culprit in this case is xmodmap, cause it worked just fine with kde5. heck, i've had no problem with it either with blackbox, fluxbox, wmi or kde 2 back in the day. i'm guessing the kde dev just introduced a similar feature  like the kmail2 baloo akonadi bulshit, to force people migrate to wayland, so that they'll end up complicating their lives when it comes to keyboard remapping.

also, strange that  the x11 devs decided not to support anymore newer HW in the xf86intel driver like they did before.  but i guess they have their reasoning behind these modifications.
i don't really see why you need to break software that worked previously just fine, but what do i know anyways, people adopted binary logs with the systemd crap, and we're wondering why we see longer boot times for new generation hardware when compared with older stuff that boots in 10 seconds ona 2.4 kernel on a crappy machine with 5.4k rpm hdds lol .

anyways, i'm not sure this is a x11issue, since fluxbox on x11 is working just fine. but i just got bored with the minimalist look of fluxbox and got tired of using it as i become older

cheers!

#27 2024-03-14 16:48:11

seth

The dpms check was to figure whether it's the DPMS or the locker that causes the flicker, apparently only the latter.
What if you don't map the meta key to altgr itfp? (Just so we know whether that's what causes the locker to go nuts)?

The driver functionality was continuously shifted towards the kernel module (i915) - I guess mostly becauee of wayland.

#28 2024-03-14 17:04:24

colegu

well, i wouldn't write dpms off, since disabling it caused a 1 second flicker to occur. most probably plasma/x11 has a weird way to probing HW...
i've disabled xmodmap alltogether. nothing happens though (except for the fact that it takes a crapton of time to grep something in a binary file lol smile)

$ time journalctl -b | grep xmodmap

real    0m6.636s
user    0m3.462s
sys     0m3.265s

#29 2024-03-14 17:38:18

seth

Running "xset dpms force off" can be expected to turn off your monitor until you press a key or juggle the mouse etc.
Is the "kf.windowsystem.keyserver.x11" warning gone?
Does the direct kscreenlocker invocation still cause the flicker?
Does eg. i3lock cause the same?

#30 2024-03-16 15:09:25

colegu

i've recently updated a bunch of plasma related apps and it seems that the flickering problem is now gone. if i lock the screen, for a really short period of time the screen turns black, but then all is back to normal.
the errors related to the meta key are not gone, and for a short period of time kglobacceld gets to eat like 30% cpu,and after that it settles..

funny thing is that the performance of WoW is almost as bad of that on wayland.. maybe that'll change in the future, but it is what it is, at least the screen does not flicker anymore

cheers!

#31 2024-03-16 15:19:02

seth

Does WoW perform better if you suspend the compositor (SHIFT+Alt+F12)?

#32 2024-03-17 17:05:08

colegu

nope. no difference. the only thing i can do is set the power profile to balance/performance, but then i have to bear the 3k+ fan noise which is quite annoying..
sometimes i prefer the lower FPS and noiseless fans smile

Board footer