You are not logged in.

#26 2007-03-03 05:17:08

ToastedToad

Re: Most stable, secure, fast web browser? In that order :p

Tried most of 'em. Always end up back using firefox.

#27 2007-03-03 11:48:08

aquila_deus
Website

cougar wrote:

Epiphany for Gnome lovers

epiphany-aqd you mean? wink

#28 2007-03-03 11:51:10

aquila_deus
Website

daedalusman wrote:

I'm curiouse, does anybody know of a good browser that uses gtkhtml rendering engine? I have heard this engine is quite nice and would like to check out any browsers that use. Thanks and sorry for being a bit off topic.

It's only good for help viewers. Real web browsers need a lot more than that it provides: rendering while downloading, support for flash/movies, javascript, css etc.

I think gnome devs already dropped the engine in favor of xulrunner (gecko lib)

#29 2007-03-03 21:51:23

daedalusman

aquila_deus wrote:
daedalusman wrote:

I'm curiouse, does anybody know of a good browser that uses gtkhtml rendering engine? I have heard this engine is quite nice and would like to check out any browsers that use. Thanks and sorry for being a bit off topic.

It's only good for help viewers. Real web browsers need a lot more than that it provides: rendering while downloading, support for flash/movies, javascript, css etc.

I think gnome devs already dropped the engine in favor of xulrunner (gecko lib)

Ahh I see, I didn't realize it was so feature lacking. Well I guess I will just have to hope that gecko/FF/TB get better at memory management and rendering speed.

#30 2007-03-04 11:13:08

cougar

aquila_deus wrote:

Sure I will try. I'd like to see the speed improvement.

#31 2007-03-07 06:48:17

George_K

lucke wrote:

privoxy set up as a local proxy to get rid of ads (especially flash ones - I don't think konqueror's adblock is capable of handling them)

To block flash from konqueror simply add '*.swf' to the adblock list. If you want to have predefined list of content to block, download any opera`s filter.ini (for example 'http://members.chello.nl/b.kroonspecker … filter.ini'), remove section '[include]', rename '[exclude]' to '[AdBlock]' and maybe delete all comments and empty lines.
Also you may be interested in 'kde-adblock-improvement' (pacman -S kde-adblock-improvement).

#32 2007-03-07 07:44:46

mucknert

aquila_deus wrote:
cougar wrote:

Epiphany for Gnome lovers

If you want to promote your packages do it in a seperate thread so people can ignore it if they chose to. Your post is Off-Topic, blow your own trumpet somewhere else.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#33 2007-03-07 07:52:05

tbroderick

fishonadish wrote:

Re: GtkHTML

Not GtkHTML but there is Gtk+ WebCore that looks promising;

"Gtk+ WebCore is a Linux/Gtk+ port of Apple Computer Inc.'s WebCore KHTML html rendering engine including a web component."

http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/

And there is Atlantis based on Gtk+ WebCore;

http://www.akcaagac.com/index_atlantis.html

Haven't tried it, but it looks interesting.

#34 2007-03-07 09:36:05

AndyRTR
Developer

Atlantis based on Gtk+ WebCore - looks nice. Maybe also a good choice for Xfce users. When will we see it in AUR?

#35 2007-03-07 11:20:53

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Atlantis would be great if it wasnt nearly 2 years old and unmaintained.

James

#36 2007-03-07 12:18:50

klixon

firefox + adblock plus and noscript plugins cool

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#37 2007-03-07 14:11:46

caust1c

does someone know how to get the forward/backward keys on the mouse working in konqueror?

#38 2007-03-07 14:35:45

Master One

George_K wrote:

To block flash from konqueror simply add '*.swf' to the adblock list. If you want to have predefined list of content to block, download any opera`s filter.ini (for example 'http://members.chello.nl/b.kroonspecker … filter.ini'), remove section '[include]', rename '[exclude]' to '[AdBlock]' and maybe delete all comments and empty lines.
Also you may be interested in 'kde-adblock-improvement' (pacman -S kde-adblock-improvement).

Thanks for this hint, this really works great. smile

#39 2007-03-07 14:37:42

Master One

caust1c wrote:

does someone know how to get the forward/backward keys on the mouse working in konqueror?

Although others wrote, that it should be able with setting the options "Buttons" and "ButtonMapping" in xorg.conf, I only got it working with imwheel.

#40 2007-03-07 17:53:41

Captain Spaulding
Website

I always were under the impression that Dillo used gtkhtml, but a quick visit to www.dillo.org told otherwise. Nonetheless, for quick browsing a patched up Dillo is a nice and almost feature-complete  choice.

#41 2007-03-07 18:31:24

Mikos
Website

Konqueror! The best browser I know, much faster than Firefox and with far better CSS support (Konqueror almost completely supports CSS 3 - for example it is the only browser which passes all of the tests in CSS 3 selector testsuite).

And Konqueror is Free Software (not like proprietary Opera), this really matters for me.

#42 2007-03-07 19:28:52

fk

Mikos wrote:

Konqueror! The best browser I know, much faster than Firefox and with far better CSS support (Konqueror almost completely supports CSS 3 - for example it is the only browser which passes all of the tests in CSS 3 selector testsuite).

And Konqueror is Free Software (not like proprietary Opera), this really matters for me.

year that's right, but at one site very good css support, on the other site bad js support.

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#43 2007-03-07 19:47:05

TomE

If anyone wants to try gtk-webcore I've uploaded osb-browser-svn PKGBULID to AUR, it's a bit unstable and you have to put http:// in front of everything, but its very fast

#44 2007-03-08 01:08:45

eyolf
Website

Opera. Same experience as the original poster with Firefox: slow startup, and, at least for me, ends up stealing lots of memory in a  pretty short time of browsing.
Opera is quick, and far more customizable than any other browser I've come across.
What I miss there, is - surprise - the extensions and the community (which for me means basically the same thing: I'm not really interested in the community as a place to communicate, but  as a creative pool which comes up with new extensions all the time...)
For this reason, I've made attempts to turn back to Firefox, after a year or so of not using it at all, but the problems are still there, it seems, so I don't know...

#45 2007-03-08 16:44:46

TSP

I use firefox but it takesa a year to starty is a good pc (amd 64 3200+ 1 Gb ddr2 dual channel).
I hope webkit the next kde web browser will replace ff

#46 2007-03-09 11:01:45

Master One

I really thought I would stick with Konqueror, because it worked flawlessly until now, but my opinion just changed, because it does not work with the java-applet of my bank for securely signing transactions with my signature-smartcard. That applet (from German SecCommerce) works just fine in Firefox & Opera, but spits out an error when the signature should be submitted (I already tried all the Java&Javascript settings the Konqueror setup offers, but that didn't help). That applet is partly working, it let's me login by signature-smartcard, but I can not sign any transactions, no idea how that comes.

No idea, what to do now. I hate to have to use different apps for the same task, Firefox is slow and has a memory management problem, Opera is closed sources and I don't really like its look & feel. Pretty sad, that we are stuck with just these alternatives, and none of these is just working correctly for everything... sad

#47 2007-03-09 11:05:54

iphitus
Forum Fellow

stable, secure, fastest?

well, elinks is damned stable, it seems secure enough -- it's certainly not targeted, but it's slow tongue

James

#48 2007-03-12 10:32:28

Susu
Website

I love konquerer because of its integration into the KDE desktop, but switched to a self-compiled optimized firefox (compiler switches taken from the swiftfox project) with fasterfox-plugin - simply because it's much faster than konqueror. PLUS konquerer has problems with some of my favourite sites. Sad but true...

Last edited by Susu (2007-03-12 10:35:09)

Album reviews (in german): http://schallwelle.filzo.de

#49 2007-03-12 11:24:41

Zoranthus

I used mozilla for years then firefox until it's slowliness started to annoy me. Then switched to opera, which was alot faster on startup but even less responsive when broswing. I ended up using swiftfox. It's firefox without annoying speed problems for me.

With so many ppl using konqueror I'll give that a try too soon I guess. I can't help it, but I like the look and feel of KDE.

Last edited by Zoranthus (2007-03-12 11:25:47)

#50 2007-03-12 17:10:45

Susu
Website

Okay, I was testing my Last.fm profile site. With a clean cache my optimized firefox (with fasterfox plugin) needed 14.8 seconds to load the site, konquerer was about 32.4 seconds. So the case is clear: Although I like konqueror better, I'll stick with firefox. The one think that disappoints me a bit is that firefox obviously doesn't work with akregator.

Album reviews (in german): http://schallwelle.filzo.de

Board footer