You are not logged in.

#51 2007-03-12 17:58:22

Zer0

Re: Most stable, secure, fast web browser? In that order :p

I recently switched from Firefox to swiftfox and I must say that I love it.  Install the lightweight "tweak network" plugin for easy control of about:config's pipelining and max connections etc..

#52 2007-03-27 11:10:25

Flying Saxman

cougar wrote:

There's a lot of opera users ! It's not open-source, guys !

I read a nice saying today: "Does freedom mean you are not free to choose closed-source-software?" So BECAUSE ArchLinux is a free distribution, you have the freedom to choose non-free-software. wink

btw.: Using mostly Opera (you may have recognized... big_smile), sometimes Konqueror and in some very rare cases (if both browsers do not work) I use Firefox

#53 2007-03-27 18:03:13

jinn

I use Firefox. Firefox is better than other browsers if you just count the extensions that can be installed for it.. I couldnt live without the foxmarks extensions. Otherwise I like konquerer now, only because its loading time is very fast. Going to try out swiftfox.

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#54 2007-04-15 14:59:01

sven

Opera here, I love the speed. Firefox starts up slowly, uses too much memory if I leave it on and browsing speed just is not enough.

Last edited by sven (2007-04-15 15:00:16)

#55 2007-04-15 15:26:29

Sole

Opera, never had any problems with it interms of security, neither did firefox, but opera always run faster on my machine, firefox have really good extensions, so I switch back to it every now and then, but I don't find myself using them that much, there're a few features I liked better in firefox but opera browses through the web faster for me and it's just more responsive, especially handling cached pages, I still couldn't figure out why firefox is so slow in going back and forward through cached pages but most of my friends told me it's just me sad

Last edited by Sole (2007-04-15 15:27:00)

#56 2007-05-10 11:36:35

aedonis

after reading this thread i've tried swiftfox instead of my firefox and it's really faster...thanks for tip!

and therefor my answer swiftfox, konqueror, kazehakase wink

#57 2007-05-12 01:57:25

N30N

Most stable: It's the only browser that has never crashed on me ever.
Most secure: With no scripting languages it's as safe as your gonna get.
Fast browser: No need to load images, style sheets or even a GUI.

No question lynx is what your after.

PS. I use konqueror as my default browser. wink

#58 2007-05-12 09:02:09

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't mind firefox slowness, it has a great community behind it (because it's open source) and that's why i want to use it.
The only thing *really* bothering me is how often it crashes.  I'm using 2.0.0.3 and often, when having many opened pages (15-20) or started downloads it just doesn't display anything anymore and I have to kill it sad  Yeah downloading stuff is hell with it.  it takes seconds before the little "downloads" screen pops up, and when downloading 3 or more things at the same time there's a big chance it will hang sad

Oh and I almost forgot, there is also this annoying issue that i can't get fixed sad (firefox not caching anything, and downloading everything over and over again)

Last edited by Dieter@be (2007-05-12 09:48:08)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#59 2007-05-12 09:14:21

antonik

dillo
konqueror
firefox

#60 2007-05-12 18:18:57

Phrodo_00
Website

lynx, links and elinks are the most stable, fast and secure you can get

#61 2007-05-13 11:57:41

Mandor

I prefer opera and konqueror, but as many people I often fall back to firefox for a single reason - it's the only browser that fully works with various google services. Of course, other browsers are not to be blamed for that, but google. I must throw out the devil and stop using those web documents and bookmarks ...

If opera ever open their code, or if KDE becomes less cluttered in 4.x (because all that konq super-funcionality is fully exploited only when using the DE), that may make me switch totally.

To the topic - stable, secure and fast browsers are ones with less functionality. It depends on what do you need and what you can do without.

Note: I don't know if I'm just freaked, but it seems that Firefox works better on win32...

If everything else fails, read the manual.

#62 2007-05-13 16:40:10

ataraxia

Mandor wrote:

Note: I don't know if I'm just freaked, but it seems that Firefox works better on win32...

Nah... If you want to have a sub-optimal Firefox experience, run it on Mac. It's still not that bad, but it's like having one GNOME app on an otherwise all-KDE desktop.

Firefox on Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Win32 feel about the same to me.

#63 2007-05-13 17:03:50

Davigetto

I see konqueror and Firefox as an equal, everyone have their advantages and disadvantages:

- Konqueror is 100% free, Firefox is not 100% free (the 100% free firefox version is called Iceweasel)
- Firefox is really easy to configure and use. Konqueror can twist newbies xD
- Firefox spends lot of memory, but is faster navigating. Konqueror is lighter, but navigating is a bit slower.
- Firefox is really and easy plugable. Konqueror is a bit harder to plug, because often needs sudo rights.
- With konqueror you can do lots of things: Navigate, see pdfs, see images... With firefox, the same except navigate on your own files.

Cause I use KDE, I prefer konqueror (it works with qt libraries and its faster on it), but, if anyone is capable to convert firefox to qt libraries instead of gtk libraries, I will use firefox smile

Only deaths can see the end of battles.

Blog: http://djmartinez.co.cc -> The life of a Computer Engineer

#64 2007-05-13 19:01:35

Phrodo_00
Website

Davigetto wrote:

- Konqueror is 100% free, Firefox is not 100% free (the 100% free firefox version is called Iceweasel)

that's not completely true, firefox' code is 100% free, what isn't completely free for trademark protecting issues is the logo and name, that's all. After all, firefox is a pretty strong name and it would be a shame if anybody could label anything as "firefox", it would only damage the firefox image and reputation it has gained. It's kind of like saying gpl is not free, sure it doesn't let you do anything you want, but it is to protect overall freedom. I this case, they are protecting opensource widespread use advances, as firefox one of the biggest open source entry points for average computer users.

Davigetto wrote:

if anyone is capable to convert firefox to qt libraries instead of gtk libraries, I will use firefox smile

I remember they did it once, dunno why it was dropped out.

Now, I don't use firefox, I don't even have it installed (I use epiphany), but I just had to say that.

#65 2007-08-22 17:20:25

islamguide.com

lucke wrote:

I've almost entirely moved to konqueror from opera, with privoxy set up as a local proxy to get rid of ads (especially flash ones - I don't think konqueror's adblock is capable of handling them), and my browsing experience is the most enjoyable.

Konqueror's adblock is comparable to Firefox's one. It can even use adblock's filterset.g since it supports regular expressions. Just go to http://www.pierceive.com/ and copy the filters over. The same could not be said of opera though...

To see a list of all blockable items on the page click on the 'funnel' icon on the bottom right side of the window... i know.. how verrry obscure...

Thanks in advance!

#66 2007-08-22 21:26:49

jinn

I think we need a poll.. I really would like the percentage on each browser that arch users use..

my order: swiftfox, firefox, konquerer, opera..

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#67 2007-08-22 21:40:36

shining
Pacman Developer

I already had a slight preference for firefox over konqueror or opera (which are both also nice), but vimperator now makes it even harder for me to switch : http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 84#p273884
These three browsers are all a bit too heavy for my taste though, but well..

As an alternative non-bloated browser, hv3 is pretty cool : http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#68 2007-08-23 10:06:29

miggols99

KDE is fast and looks good in KDE. I still have firefox for those website that refuse to work in Konqueror...

#69 2007-08-23 18:58:57

Crooksey
Website

Firefox gets my vote, for the plugins, ease of use and the fact that it is GTK based because I am a gnome user.

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#70 2007-08-24 13:41:38

wuischke

Referring to webkit-gdk: There's midori, but it's still in early alpha stage. Plus webkit-gdk is a bitch to build.

I use Opera as well, but Konqueror would be my runner-up.

#71 2010-02-18 02:39:33

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

I prefer using the swiftfox mod for firefox. I have seen about a 75% speed increase!

#72 2010-02-18 02:56:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

Holy crap! This thread is so old that I was still using something from KDE. I haven't even seen a panel on one of my machines in well over a year. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen window decorations in well over a year. Creepyzombielicious.

Board footer