You are not logged in.

#26 2007-04-10 21:28:46

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: wtf?! pacman 3.0.1-1 raped my system (not happy)

toofishes wrote:

How about this:

find /var/lib/pacman/local/ -name "install" | xargs grep ld.so.conf

Oh right, that's perfect, I didn't even notice the install files were in there smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#27 2007-04-12 15:59:12

swiergot

Today it happened to me, too. Looks like files to overwrite are picked pretty randomly. From /var/log/pacman.log:

[2007-04-12 13:30] warning: /etc/passwd installed as /etc/passwd.pacnew
[2007-04-12 13:30] warning: /etc/shadow installed as /etc/shadow.pacnew
[2007-04-12 13:30] warning: /etc/ld.so.conf installed as /etc/ld.so.conf.pacnew

So far I've noticed only two files having been overwritten: /etc/fstab and /etc/group. Some other like /etc/crypttab and /etc/hosts, although had been changed by me in the past, were not touched (and thanks God as I managed to forgot the password for my /home).

#28 2007-04-12 16:06:59

Romashka
Forum Fellow

swiergot wrote:

Today it happened to me, too. Looks like files to overwrite are picked pretty randomly.

Nope, there is a reason for overwrites. And this is because incorrect behaviour of pacman2 when writing file hashes into local db (however this should be investigated more, to be sure there's no other reason for this).
Please read recent pacman-dev ML messages for more details (you can read archives if you're not subscribed).

to live is to die

#29 2007-04-23 07:34:46

toofishes
Developer
Website

Hey guys, read this thread for details on how we fixed it, albeit a bit late for some:

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-d … 08153.html

#30 2007-04-23 16:19:42

desertViking

Hey guys, read this thread for details on how we fixed it, albeit a bit late for some:

Thx, Too.  I'm sorry for being a bit obtuse, but I'm not sure exactly what to do here.  I borked my system yesterday by upgrading, then figured out to remove and add the necessary users by hand, so I'm sort of running again.
What I'm guessing is that as a workaround, if one upgrades to pacman 3, you would want to run this script to identify the NoUpgrade files correctly, then proceed with a system upgrade.  Is that right?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#31 2007-04-23 18:45:09

toofishes
Developer
Website

desertViking wrote:

Thx, Too.  I'm sorry for being a bit obtuse, but I'm not sure exactly what to do here.  I borked my system yesterday by upgrading, then figured out to remove and add the necessary users by hand, so I'm sort of running again.
What I'm guessing is that as a workaround, if one upgrades to pacman 3, you would want to run this script to identify the NoUpgrade files correctly, then proceed with a system upgrade.  Is that right?

Currently we added it to the pacman.install file as a one time run. This will keep any problems from occurring later on, and the only inconvenience will be a few extra pacnew files. To the end user, this is pretty transparent- upgrading pacman will take care of everything for all future upgraders.

If you are curious, look at your abs tree and the pacman.install file for details.

#32 2007-04-25 14:55:59

sabooky

toofishes wrote:
desertViking wrote:

Currently we added it to the pacman.install file as a one time run. This will keep any problems from occurring later on, and the only inconvenience will be a few extra pacnew files. To the end user, this is pretty transparent- upgrading pacman will take care of everything for all future upgraders.

If you are curious, look at your abs tree and the pacman.install file for details.

Awesome, great news...
and yea as far as it being a bit late for some, eh...to be honest not sure I'd enjoy linux as much if it didn't blow up in my face every once in a while tongue. Plus, the package was in testing...

interesting... apparently  I don't have a /etc/abs/supfile.testing file, guess i could make my own..

#33 2007-04-25 16:20:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

sabooky wrote:

Awesome, great news...
and yea as far as it being a bit late for some, eh...to be honest not sure I'd enjoy linux as much if it didn't blow up in my face every once in a while tongue. Plus, the package was in testing...

interesting... apparently  I don't have a /etc/abs/supfile.testing file, guess i could make my own..

Hah, I agree.  Minor things going poof keeps you on your toes.  And lets face it, some of us like challenges.

Regarding the missing supfile - it should be installed as part of the pacman package... hmm, I'll have to look into that

Board footer