You are not logged in.

#26 2007-05-14 14:00:17

IsSuE

Re: Ideas for a new kernel patchset

whats the problem with kamikaze patchset?
i just looked at its "feature list" and it looks quite nice.

#27 2007-05-19 07:51:40

ekerazha

IsSuE wrote:

Yeah it is nice, but it lacks useful (imho) patches and it has dangerous patches (ex. 4k stacks: with 4k stacks users can't run most - all? - drivers with ndiswrapper, because Windows' drivers require stacks larger than 4k).

#28 2007-05-19 11:06:38

klixon

kamikaze-sources has a broken-out directory, so you can simply revert the 4k-stacks-default.patch...

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#29 2007-05-19 11:35:14

ekerazha

klixon wrote:

kamikaze-sources has a broken-out directory, so you can simply revert the 4k-stacks-default.patch...

Yeah... so "Adding patches" + "Removing patches" = "Make another patchset" wink

#30 2007-05-19 11:56:30

klixon

Hell, yeah!! lol
These guys over at gentoo trade patches amongst them so they're basically the same with another scheduler or some patches added/removed...

But... the question was

ekerazha wrote:
IsSuE wrote:

Yeah it is nice, but it lacks useful (imho) patches and it has dangerous patches (ex. 4k stacks: with 4k stacks users can't run most - all? - drivers with ndiswrapper, because Windows' drivers require stacks larger than 4k).

So, if 4k stacks are dangerous, revert it and use kamikaze-sources wink

It's how i build my kernel: I use viper-sources, revert suspend2 (cause it - used to? - flood my kernel-log with messages) and compile it as viper-sources... no biggie
I may even throw the 4k-stacks-default back in when i'm gonna recompile it

But enough thread-jacking (sorry guys...) hmm

Last edited by klixon (2007-05-19 12:00:00)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#31 2007-05-19 12:01:22

ekerazha

klixon wrote:

Hell, yeah!! lol
These guys over at gentoo trade patches amongst them so they're basically the same with another scheduler or some patches added/removed...

This is what I've said big_smile

But... the question was

ekerazha wrote:
IsSuE wrote:

So, if 4k stacks are dangerous, revert it and use kamikaze-sources wink

Well... as I've already said the "4k stacks" patch isn't the only thing I'd change, so: "Adding patches" + "Removing patches" = "Make another patchset" wink it's not just "-kamikaze w/o 4k stacks"

Last edited by ekerazha (2007-05-19 12:01:50)

#32 2007-05-19 12:12:46

klixon

Have you talked to the guys there yet?
They might have tried some of your proposed patches and ran into trouble...
And they are usually quite open to suggestions... Especially when you volunteer to do some work wink

#33 2007-05-19 12:36:10

ekerazha

klixon wrote:

Have you talked to the guys there yet?
They might have tried some of your proposed patches and ran into trouble...
And they are usually quite open to suggestions... Especially when you volunteer to do some work wink

I'd add AppArmor and maybe SKAS (nothing of very "critical") + I'd remove a lot of patches.

#34 2007-05-19 12:49:30

klixon

maybe they're porting those as we speak wink though i wouldn't get my hopes up to high...

dropping patches sounds like a great plan to me... which would you drop (apart from those already mentioned of course...)?

Ah... i see you just stepped into the lion's den (1st post on gentoo forums smile )

I'm curious as to what this becomes... If you need testing done, just let me know... I like to break stuff wink

Last edited by klixon (2007-05-19 12:54:11)

Board footer