You are not logged in.

#2476 2012-06-15 10:15:58

ian.simonson

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey everyone,

I'm Ian,

I'm completely new to Arch, and mostly new to Linux.

After continuously installing linux, uninstalling, and then a few months later repeating the cycle, I've finally stumbled onto ArchLinux.  I installed Arch on VirtualBox already (wasn't too painful, just took a few hours of reading documentation) and am hoping to soon have it installed on my actual harddrive, dual-booting with Windows.

So far the Arch-Wiki's been great.

I look forward to actually being able to stick with Linux for once.

#2477 2012-06-15 14:14:08

dsplayer14
Website

I guess I'll give some input. Cool thread idea by the way.

Started using Arch a few days ago, and I have been using Linux for well over a year. Really, all I have been doing that year is distro hopping, trying to find a distro that fits me. I think Arch covers what I want in a distro. Sure, the beginning was rough, and long, but once you got the basics working (Internet connection, X server, some needed applications like a web browser) it's really a beautiful distro. It can be anything you want it to be and it is honestly, really fast. It takes at most, 10 seconds to boot on my laptop. Hopefully all these packages I am downloading don't slow it down like in Windows (Is it okay that I said that?).

KDE rocks btw. Just sayin.

Please excuse my stupidity.

#2478 2012-06-15 16:08:48

tonysilva

Hello everybody. +1 to Arch's Army

Last edited by tonysilva (2013-11-04 23:11:06)

#2479 2012-06-15 16:46:41

High Ritz

Hey all! I have been using Ubuntu since 8.04.  I have tried other distros, including Fedora, Puppylinux, Damn Small Linux, Linux Mint, and I am sure a couple of others that I am failing to recall.  I have stuck with Ubuntu because it just seems to work with minimal frustration.  Ultimately, though, I am unhappy with how bloated Ubuntu is, especially with the new Unity DE.  The alternative Ubuntu distros (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu) have also been a disappointment.  Arch Linux looks like it may be the solution to my problems.  I am looking forward to being able to take full control of my system!

Oh, and I almost forgot...Hooray!!! \o/

Last edited by High Ritz (2012-06-15 16:47:14)

#2480 2012-06-17 20:57:51

RGErrDay

Hey guys, Im RGErrDay big_smile i used ubuntu until when they got unity then i switched to debian testing until today when i switched to arch big_smile

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you anything you want A Small House or America

#2481 2012-06-18 03:51:08

jeffsebring
Website

Hello Archers,

I'm jumping in with both my laptop and desktop after getting tired of Ubuntu and deciding to get control.

I use my computer for web development ( mainly WordPress dev and Ruby scripting ), graphics, and hopefully A/V production in the future as tools improve.

The documentation and community here are some of the best I've seen in any open source project.

Perhaps someday I'll be able to contribute in some way, but for now I'll just try not to ask dumb questions as I learn!

Cheers,

Jeff Sebring

Last edited by jeffsebring (2012-06-18 03:53:51)

"To run a cycle with parts in it you've made yourself gives you a special feeling you can't possibly get from strictly store bought parts." - Pirsig

#2482 2012-06-18 09:20:28

Akali

Hello everyone. Long time linux user, for about 3 years. Have allways been using linux for my server, mainly Debian based distros. I allmost allways been running linux on my laptops, startet using Archbang a while ago and really liked it.
Then recently i changed my server to "proxmox" and got a new laptop (lenovo s12) that I'm planing to install archlinux on.
I must admit, i still use windows 7 on my main computer, and i don't think that's gonna change anytime soon. Because i use it for high end gaming.

Last edited by Akali (2012-06-18 09:20:38)

#2483 2012-06-18 15:41:40

es20641
Website

Akali wrote:

Hello everyone. Long time linux user, for about 3 years. Have allways been using linux for my server, mainly Debian based distros. I allmost allways been running linux on my laptops, startet using Archbang a while ago and really liked it.
Then recently i changed my server to "proxmox" and got a new laptop (lenovo s12) that I'm planing to install archlinux on.
I must admit, i still use windows 7 on my main computer, and i don't think that's gonna change anytime soon. Because i use it for high end gaming.

Hello Akali, welcome to the ArchLinux forums! I hope you enjoy your time here and become involved in the ArchLinux community. I have a very similar setup with my computers. My laptop is running ArchLinux, but my desktop runs Windows 7 for gaming. Wine has gotten to the point where you can actually play some windows games quite easily, but sometimes I just don't want to mess with configuring wine. big_smile

#2484 2012-06-18 15:45:46

es20641
Website

jeffsebring wrote:

Hello Archers,

I'm jumping in with both my laptop and desktop after getting tired of Ubuntu and deciding to get control.

I use my computer for web development ( mainly WordPress dev and Ruby scripting ), graphics, and hopefully A/V production in the future as tools improve.

The documentation and community here are some of the best I've seen in any open source project.

Perhaps someday I'll be able to contribute in some way, but for now I'll just try not to ask dumb questions as I learn!

Cheers,

Jeff Sebring

Hi Jeff! I switched to ArchLinux for the same reason. It's nearly impossible to find another community that has such a great set up for finding solutions to your problems. I jumped around between distros for a while and eventually settled back down with ArchLinux. I just missed the wiki too much. It's so easy to find an answer to my questions.

I hope you stick with Arch Linux for a while and enjoy your stay on the forums!

#2485 2012-06-18 17:32:05

Hello everyone

Ive had Arch installed now for a month or so, i first got bitten by the bug when i gave it a try in virtualbox.
Since then its installed on my asus eee pc, my desktop pc, and im in the process of turning my embedded pc into an arch file server for home use.

I used to be a real debian fan, and prefer a minimalistic system, and mostly used command line programs. Im currently a student in the UK doing a degree with a fair amount of programming, unforunatley most of this involves the use of visual studio and .net framework.

I agree with everybody when I say the wiki is fantastc, and I would like to thank all those who take the time to maintain the wiki as it is an invaluable resource.

That's all folks.

AJ

#2486 2012-06-20 00:03:23

Torignit

I have this nasty problem of sticking with what's familiar; I'd been using a decade old Win2000 machine for about 5 years, and about halfway through that the motherboard had stopped recognizing that the disk drive-- any disk drive-- existed. The efforts to even figure out what the problem could be were slow and arduous; the former because I mostly used virtual drives anyway, and the latter because I didn't use the normal Windows' functions with any regularity. Eventually came a day in which I needed to write something to a disk (lo and behold, an Ubuntu boot disk, for laptop elsewhere), and thus after re-confirming the controller had no idea it even had a connection for a disk drive, I proceeded to download the "Windows Update Manager" in case it helped.
_The system then proceeded to "crash" and give me an error message that turned out to mean that I had violated their contract by tampering with the system, then it write-protected the hard-drive just to be spiteful. Now, I had never agreed to any contract when I got the computer, but I had scrapped several pieces of the operating system for free space, and altered anything that annoyed me.

I think I am ready for an operating system I don't have to fight every step of the way, for it will be the Arch Way instead.

Last edited by Torignit (2012-06-20 00:04:01)

#2487 2012-06-20 01:09:29

Pacopag

That's a great story.  I commend you for being able to hang on to a system for 5 years.  I hope you like arch.  It takes some getting used to, but it rocks in so many ways.

#2488 2012-06-20 05:31:34

abkumar
Website

Hello everyone,

I am Abhishek from Gurgaon, India. Currently working in a support department at a hosting company. I have 2 years of experience with Linux professionally and around 10 years of playing with Linux personally as a hobby.

I am very much new to archlinux and currently installed it in a vmware and learning the arch way smile

I hope to have a interesting journey ahead with arch.

Cheers
~Abhishek

#2489 2012-06-20 14:14:28

AyeCapn

Pacopag wrote:

I hope you like arch.  It takes some getting used to, but it rocks in so many ways.

This is exactly why I like it - it's uncomfortable to use. It forces me to think about what I want to do and how to do it.

A healthy sense of discomfort causes improvement and innovation.

"I just don't know what went wrong" - Derpy

#2490 2012-06-20 15:29:02

Akali

AyeCapn wrote:
Pacopag wrote:

I hope you like arch.  It takes some getting used to, but it rocks in so many ways.

This is exactly why I like it - it's uncomfortable to use. It forces me to think about what I want to do and how to do it.

A healthy sense of discomfort causes improvement and innovation.

Like your point! That is why I came here in the first place, and why I love it so much. It's a "do it yourself" kinda system. Forces you to learn.

#2491 2012-06-21 07:37:23

Arogers10

HI i'm Aaron. I just turned twenty and i've spent 3 years with Linux so far. 2 with Ubuntu and one with Debian and I really want to learn more about Linux so I switched to Arch and i'm loving it! I want to learn programming and the like and I feel like this is the best place to start!

#2492 2012-06-21 18:14:34

rndmz

Hello everyone!,

I'm a new archer now. I've tested Debian and Debian-like distros, But arch is tons better. I'm using Arch on a Lenovo z475 laptop, and I use Slim and Xfce4(with goodies). This work amazing but still left to configure the media keys and multi-touch gestures. But well... I'm from Chile, so please sorry about my English, i hope to learn more about that language in here.
Greetings from Chile.
Till we meet you again bros!

#2493 2012-06-22 03:16:02

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Hey everyone. I've been a long-time user of Fedora (first installed Fc7 shortly after it was released), but I took the dive and switched to Arch primarily because I greatly prefer the rolling release system of Arch and because Fedora makes it very difficult to prune packages and comes with a lot of unneeded junk installed (clearly not the case with Arch). And let's not forget just how awesome the AUR and ABS are. Fedora has nothing like that, and they are perhaps the coolest things that have happened to me in my entire experience with GNU/Linux.

That's my "Hello, World" piece; thanks for listening.

All the best,

-HG

#2494 2012-06-22 13:28:28

Mulan

Hi there everyone! :3
I just used ubuntu because it's nice and user friendly but after some time passed. I found myself  spending quite some time after installing ubuntu configuring everythink the way I like it. Than I got always diaspointed that during updates and ubrades (those are dark sometimes X.x) my configuration got destroied. Friend sugested me that I should consider Arch but I was like "U serious? That Is some complicatet stuff I am no proffesional or anything I cant do that!"
However One day efter I have spent 4 hours trying to fix my linux that once again didnt survive upgrade I got so angry that I download Arch and In next 4 hours I got it set up with network, sound, graphic, DM and everithing so it was usable. I went for gnome 3 and LightDM. This LightDM and AWN bar tought me whole AUR thing ;D  I am still kind of amazed how it is not so complicated and I have my own cossy little linux now ^^ BTW big thanks for the wiki I would not be able to make it if documentation was not so cool wink
So that's it.

#2495 2012-06-23 01:39:13

morgenthau

hi everyone,

just registered. i am new to arch and i still use ubuntu. just got my raspberry pi board and that's why i want to try arch. if i can manage installing arch on that device, i will use arch on my pc&laptop as well. my room-mate also uses arch and often tried to convince me to use it too.

cheers,
morgenthau

#2496 2012-06-25 01:10:25

keepitsimpleengineer

Hello world...

Trying out Arch Linux, looking to replace my well used, trusty 64bit workstation. 10.04 LTS, as apparently Conical, et al, is abandoning much of the functionality I use.

Al Einstein: "Man soll die Dinge so einfach machen wie möglich ~ aber nicht einfacher." (Things should be as simple as possible ~ but not too simple.) ~ Al (Einstein) war ein Cousin von Albert, "Al" ist die Abkürzung für Aloysius

#2497 2012-06-25 01:14:50

xorro

Hello everybody,

I have a bit of experience with other linux distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, and the UNIX like FreeBSD (don't worry, I'm not from those forums big_smile). I recently installed Arch the other day after a friend told me how great it was, and he was right. I'm currently using openbox and trying to configure a GUI.

I am here to learn more about Arch and engage in the community.

-Xorro

Last edited by xorro (2012-06-25 01:16:48)

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H | NVIDIA 9500 GT 1GB | 6GB Corsair DDR3-1333 | Corsair HX650W | Arch Linux & WIndows 7

#2498 2012-06-25 01:50:57

Doritos

Hi.

I like arch, it mostly works.

I hate your anti-spam question. Anything that breaks when you're a) not in front of a linux machine and b) forget to untick daylight savings is a bad idea.

Last edited by Doritos (2012-06-25 02:01:08)

#2499 2012-06-25 18:54:42

eu-slack

Hello World! big_smile

#2500 2012-06-25 21:47:43

es20641
Website

xorro wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have a bit of experience with other linux distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, and the UNIX like FreeBSD (don't worry, I'm not from those forums big_smile). I recently installed Arch the other day after a friend told me how great it was, and he was right. I'm currently using openbox and trying to configure a GUI.

I am here to learn more about Arch and engage in the community.

-Xorro

Having a bit of experience with other distros is great. Arch Linux should be a good distro to give you a much better understanding of how Linux/Unix works. I hope you find the forums friendly and enjoy your usage of Arch big_smile

Board footer