You are not logged in.

#2526 2012-07-09 16:03:42

KleinerMann

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi all. My name is Umberto, i'm italian and I use Archlinux since January 2011 big_smile

I'm in love with my Awesome WM big_smile
Happy Tiling big_smile

#2527 2012-07-09 16:06:13

nierro

Welcome big_smile

#2528 2012-07-09 18:14:08

KleinerMann

thanks nierro big_smile

#2529 2012-07-10 16:23:00

Caelum
Website

Hey guys. I'm Cael, just another newbie, and I somehow convinced myself I need to use Arch as my main OS after years of using Windows and only some basic experience tinkering with various Linux distros. Not entirely sure how that happened. I think I fell in love with it or something. My past few days have been filled with excessive amounts of time spent scouring the Arch wiki while I figure Arch out in a VM. Hoping to replace Windows with it soonish.

So, uh, yeah. Hi. smile

#2530 2012-07-10 16:25:11

es20641
Website

Caelum wrote:

Hey guys. I'm Cael, just another newbie, and I somehow convinced myself I need to use Arch as my main OS after years of using Windows and only some basic experience tinkering with various Linux distros. Not entirely sure how that happened. I think I fell in love with it or something. My past few days have been filled with excessive amounts of time spent scouring the Arch wiki while I figure Arch out in a VM. Hoping to replace Windows with it soonish.

So, uh, yeah. Hi. smile

Hi Cael. Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you own't regret your switch from windows to Arch. If you get frustrated or can't figure something out, the wiki is your best bet and if you can't find your answer there the forums are a (mostly) friendly place to ask questions big_smile

Have a great day!

#2531 2012-07-11 10:56:42

DeadWolfSA

Hello everybody! Recent Arch convert here. I just did my first install on my work laptop, and I must say that I love every bit of it. I use to use Fedora at work and Ubuntu at home. I had pretty much stopped using Linux as a desktop when the switch to Gnome 3 and Unity came around. I could not get use to the new DEs, and I've never been a fan of KDE, LXDE, and XFCE. It seemed that Linux had moved on and left me in the past. I had discovered Mate, but with Ubuntu and Fedora it had to be installed alongside other DEs. Gentoo seemed like the only option that offered the customization that I wanted, but what a pain keeping it up to date and maintaining. All hope was lost... Until the blue Arch logo appeared in front of me. Could it be true? A Linux that is easy to use? That offered great customization and rolling release? I couldn't believe what I was reading. Needless to say I downloaded the Netinstall and followed the fantastic documentation to install my very own personal Linux. A system built just for me.

Thank you Arch, for bringing back to Linux!

#2532 2012-07-13 04:34:44

plasmid

Howdy Arch folks.

I've been a Windows user for most of my life, until I put Fedora on my harddrive a few months ago.  I had just gotten into a pretty serious cycling accident, so I had plenty of idle time on my hands to figure out Linux.  I still feel pretty new to it, but learning about it is extremely satisfying!

In the past couple days, I've replaced Fedora with Arch + xmonad + xmobar, with no regrets except that I wish I had done it sooner.  So far so good, and soon I hope to have wine replace my last few remaining Windows applications (mostly just Starcraft 2, actually).

I must say, I couldn't have done it without the awesome documentation and community.  Way to go everyone here, and yes: Hello World!

Last edited by plasmid (2012-07-13 04:35:09)

#2533 2012-07-14 05:18:13

c7r7a7z7y

Hello Everyone! I've hopped from distro to distro until I found Arch. Plan on staying with Arch until I die. tongue

#2534 2012-07-14 06:21:05

x33a
Forum Fellow

c7r7a7z7y wrote:

Hello Everyone! I've hopped from distro to distro until I found Arch. Plan on staying with Arch until I die. tongue

What if arch dies first !!

#2535 2012-07-14 14:57:10

c7r7a7z7y

x33a wrote:
c7r7a7z7y wrote:

What if arch dies first !!

Noooooo! If it does, then I will probably go back to distro hopping until something as good as Arch comes along again. big_smile

#2536 2012-07-14 20:12:41

ctarx

Hi Everyone! I'm another newbie here. I used Ubuntu before.

#2537 2012-07-15 00:01:34

dab1414

Hello all.
     New here to Arch. Found linux 7-8 years ago. Started with ubuntu, then progressed through the major distros. About 3-4 years ago wanted to divulge myself into learning more, so began my quest, first stop was LFS. After that exhausting tour gentoo and slackware was to follow. Then when my work schedule changed it was Salix Os for the last 2 years. Never quite happy the search began again. So after some 30 or so linux installations, including those ive tried before, here comes Arch, just what I want in an OS. Kinda sad never tried this distro before, but on other hand testing about every other flavour makes me appreciate everything that Arch and it's community has to offer. So now if I can only decide what WM/DE is best for me...

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
-Unknown

#2538 2012-07-15 18:26:53

boorg

Hi everyone.
I am using Arch few years. Like some people I tried few other distros, but this is the best for me.

#2539 2012-07-15 19:57:25

bobbyd3
Website

Greetings,

I've been using Arch for a little over a year now. Long time lurker first time poster. I've recently made the decision to start contributing more within the community since it's provided so much help in the past. You know a community is great when things are so well documented that you can lurk around and find 99% of the answers you need.

Thanks!

#2540 2012-07-16 13:46:22

eskatrem

Hello there,
I am an Arch noob. Used Ubuntu before, switched to Arch to get something more "hard core" that will force me to properly understand how stuff work behind the hood.

#2541 2012-07-16 18:22:28

Rawketman

Hello everyone, I'm new here (just passed my forum registration exam today lol, took me a little bit to figure that out).

I started with ubuntu and have been using that for 3 years or so now. I tried debian yesterday, but after 30 minutes, still couldn't get things to work, so I moved to Arch last night. It was actually easier. Still trying to figure it all out, but that's why I'm here.

Anyways, good to be here, heard lots of good things about Arch. I'm a total newbie, so forgive my ignorance.

#2542 2012-07-16 18:24:24

es20641
Website

Rawketman wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new here (just passed my forum registration exam today lol, took me a little bit to figure that out).

I started with ubuntu and have been using that for 3 years or so now. I tried debian yesterday, but after 30 minutes, still couldn't get things to work, so I moved to Arch last night. It was actually easier. Still trying to figure it all out, but that's why I'm here.

Anyways, good to be here, heard lots of good things about Arch. I'm a total newbie, so forgive my ignorance.

We're glad to have you, Rawketman. I hope you enjoy using Arch Linux. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. We just ask that you go to the Wiki with questions first. It is a great resource where most frequently asked questions can be solved.

#2543 2012-07-18 16:25:08

s33d

Hello everyone,

I've been using Arch for years, I just figured that I'd finally stop in and say hello...

There's not much else to say really, I'm currently just a computer science student trying to get by.

Registered Linux User: 553222 | G+ | Zoom, kick, persuasion, tech...

#2544 2012-07-18 16:57:02

HungGarTiger

Caelum wrote:

So, uh, yeah. Hi. smile

As one newbie to another, you have made the right choice. Just do your homework and everything will turn out allright

As previously stated these forums are a friendly place as long as you make a serious effort to fix things on your own first, all help will be forthcoming. But don't forget about the excellent wiki and superb forum searching facility (that seems to offer the Official Openbox Desktop thread as the first result to almost every search criterea) big_smile

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#2545 2012-07-18 23:23:40

thorion

Hey everyone!

I'm thorion, and I'm 16. I was a Mac user for a really long time, but as my dad's work machine (which I used to mess around with) had Fedora installed, I became interested in it. I began using Fedora as my main OS around 2 years ago, and then I began to experiment with different desktop environments, trying to find something light and customizable - I settled on Xfce. Going off that philosophy of customizability, I gave Arch a try a few months ago, but gave up because I was used to easy graphical installations and everything working out of the box.

Yesterday, I decided to actually give it a shot this time, and now I have a running system and have learned a lot about Linux in the process - and I look forward to learning more and actually knowing what's going on behind the scenes for a change.

#2546 2012-07-19 09:18:38

webspider

(Warning: Somewhat long story ahead)

Hello guys.

I've used Windows for quite a long time. My dad switched to a mac pro and gave me his old desktop. In school my teacher introduced us to linux (he was sysadmin for everything and didn't really have an idea what to teach us, so he did whatever felt right) and gave us macbooks to work on trivial stuff (we had a recharging station for about 30 of them). This kind of opened my eyes and showed me that there's other stuff you can do with computers than just surfing around, playing games or screwing with photoshop.

I decided to try something different, so I popped in a Knoppix-CD in my tower, fiddled around, somehow got wireless working (it was a major pain in the ass because only the proprietary drivers worked via ndis_wrapper and even these weren't stable and crashed every half an hour) and installed it to my hard drive. I was surprised to see a completely different logo, because at that time I didn't know that it's a debian-based distribution. I hated fiddling around that much despite Linux being touted as flexible and the OS that made the internet possible. After that I spent my time with making everything else work I was used to (like WMV-support in the browser for example), installed every package and broke it after a failed upgrade.

Although I read a book about linux in general and prepared a bit, it didn't feel good at all. Getting information on how to fix stuff without internet access was the worst part. I hated dual-booting most (the first attempt fucked up my MBR) and that even when I installed it to a single hard drive the selection screen remained. I think what bugged me most was the unprofessional appearance stuff had on standard settings. Somebody told me that if operating systems were vehicles, Windows would be a tricycle for kids and Linux a bunch of Ferrari parts you've got together with a comprehensive construction for free. To me it was more of a riced VW Golf.

So I got back to Windows, spent my time designing with photoshop and occasionally learning to code. After I finished high school, I got a new laptop for university. Everything after that would have went the usual way if my mother didn't decide to get herself a new laptop just to get convinced by a young store employee to buy a macbook pro. After quite a discussion, we've decided on swapping laptops and me paying the remaining money (because obviously, a mbp is more expensive than most laptops).

I didn't expect to like OS X. Despite it still having its problems (like not cutting files or creating new ones in vanilla finder), it was once you've found all necessary apps and understood the apple design choices a more coherent experience than windows. After I've started coding in uni, I started learning to finally use the commandline and since working with it was so much more painless, I buffed up my python skills. I still couldn't believe how much more productive I got than I ever was on windows and kept learning new stuff.

Occasionally I was thinking about testing linux for fun now that I've started enjoying minimalism, customization, coding and the feel of unix-like systems, but Ubuntu kind of horrified me. I never liked its appearance and found it a mystery how it got the most popular distribution ever. Most other distributions seemed to be more of a selection of packages than having their own distinctive philosophy. Gentoo looked like overkill (compiling almost everything?) and more of a joke on 4chan's /g/ to me. I read about Arch and tried it in a vm, not sure whether it was as good as it was touted.

Guess I'm hooked. I've installed it on a netbook I bought recently, tried Gentoo for fun in another vm (didn't expect my i5 to compile the kernel in just 10 minutes) and yeah, looks like I've finally found my distribution. Unfortunately I can't work with my netbook right now because of a stupid mistake I did, but can't await to go on. Thank you very much guys, I didn't really expect to start using Linux again.

tl;dr: Used windows for a very long time and thought linux sucked, got a mbp and became a power user, found out about arch and installed it on my netbook.

#2547 2012-07-19 10:56:27

SanskritFritz
Website

lol the tl;dr section at the end big_smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2548 2012-07-20 06:53:34

Luiji

I first encountered Arch Linux about a year ago (I think) and thought it was really nice to be able to build up a custom system, but it was so hard that I was scared it would break down quickly and I stayed with openSUSE. Later I used Fedora, then Ubuntu, I've been switching between these systems since I first started using Linux a few years ago, my first encounter being Fedora. A month ago I tried Arch Linux again; however, this time I actually READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. Things went by much, MUCH smoother. In fact, my Arch system was giving me much less grief then either of the "big three" Linuxes. All of the packages actually WORKED. You won't believe how many packages I found that didn't work and, sometimes, couldn't uninstall -- in fact, once it turned out Ubuntu KNEW about one of these types of uninstallable packages for MONTHS and they wouldn't fix it until the next really. I mean, come on!

That's how I first became interested in Arch, anyway. I was talking on a different forum about rolling release systems and it got recommended to me. Plenty of people have told me that rolling release systems require more maintenance, but I've found that as long as you RTFM its a hell of a lot better then most other distributions. I now use Arch exclusively on my desktop, laptop and netbook, and I've been able to spend more time using my computer then trying to figure out why my newly-installed program raises a segmentation fault when I start it. (That's happened to me...literally. I think it was a driver error IIRC.)

Arch Linux is the best. In the words of Jack Black, "you gotta believe, it's not an opinion! Yeah, rock on!" (From Tribute.)

Thank you to everyone who is involved in making this system as great as it is. smile

I rarely post because usually somebody else asked the question already and it's already been answered. That's one thing I love about Arch.

#2549 2012-07-21 16:34:08

arhuman

Hello

I'm a looooooooooooooong time Linux user and a brand new Arch learner.
Thanks to all the people contributing to this project.

#2550 2012-07-22 14:10:02

Robb

Oh! My first post here! Arch? It is great! I think to have found my final linux distro after having tested (in the order)

- Fedora: Impossible to keep control of packages (1 year);
- Ubuntu: Not so stable, it's a marmelade (2 years);
- Debian: good and stable distro, difficult to make hands on kernel (6 months);
- Gentoo: great distro, but you have to cross the fingers everytime you start un update (2 years);
- Arch: simple, configurable, zen! (6 months)

I hope to help someone and to receive help!

See you in the forum!

Board footer