You are not logged in.

#2551 2012-07-23 14:50:27

mjsfreitas

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi...
My name is Marcos Freitas (24)...I'm from Cape Verde
I'm one year clean.............of using windows at home...:)...but in my job i have to use it...
I'm about 1 year using Arch.
I love open-source, i'm a fan of open-knowledge...
I'm a self-taught designer and illustrator...
So my objective is to have a complete open-source system, from SO to App, that i can do my illustrations and animations...
I started with ubuntu, but Unity make me change to Mint, try Opensuse, and a friend of mine make me change to Arch...
After install Arch and Gnome, all working fine...dude i feel like a Pro (you feel it to right?)...wow...Installing Arch rise-up my knowledge about how linux work... amazing...Thanks you Beginner Guide Master...
So of course alot of difficult came, but Arch has a great wiki, with everything and forum etc...
Things i Love in Arch:
It works
Pacman (love Pacman simple)
Is a rolling release
Support Gnome
Support Blender
My thoughts about what Arch can implement:
A visual interface for the repositories at searching removing and installing softwares.
But i believe this is going to be implement only when Arch has a ready and easy installation out from the box.

Now the part that follow is long (new record), i will talk about some difficult i have with Arch, and my recently BIG mistake in Arch (Not Arch problem, my mistake)...

The major difficults i have was with Blender... i want to use test builds that wasn't avaiables at the repositories, and all that stuff of librarys make me crazy, but then i discover that open the software in the terminal helps me see what librarys are missing, now the other problem find the librarys, kind of complicated, finding YAOURT was amazing the AUR is so cool... help me a lot...
So after blender new releases go stable to official repositories make me happy.
Now is working just fine. Thanks to the Maintainers.
Past Friday i personalised my system with faenza icon (so smooth) and mediterraneannight-theme (when installing it arch says that it is not supported but i proceed any way) from AUR and some nice wallpaper from Devianart.

Ok now a big problem came, past sunday...
Wine was not working, so i search and i see that was because of some lib32_xxx (don't remember) so someone told me to finish the glibc update, ok that's easy:
So go to terminal: pacman -S glibc
humm...error
Ok so i remember to see --force command somewhere on the web, so why not use --force and so my glibc is updated and can see if wine work fine...(Big mistake, normally i don't read the news in Arch front page)
And...ok
so after that i see that everything i wrote on terminal output an error, something like directory or...don't remember...
So if i close terminal it want open again, nothing was opening, dude i start worrying, and posting at the forum https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145594, i was with afraid of restarting the system...But have to...kernel panic...wow...cool
My system that i just finish personalised....and everithing is cool... only wine but that's not a big problem...so i have to reinstall arch...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
So i don't remember how i finish at Archbang website (google effect), so i download an iso install them on usb and try chroot (read the wiki) from the terminal in Archbang...no sucess...even try  tutorial of some ubuntu forum "how to setup chroot"...no sucess. After i download archlinux official iso install them on usb (i use lili usb creator in windows, the interface sucks), i found a new problem, label, the pen drive has to be labeled correct, if not arch don't boot...
After that i try chroot...and nothing happen, the same error: bin/bash directory not found (some thing like that)
so no chroot but afterall my problem was with the lib folder, i copy the lib (copied full, my original lib folder was empty) and chroot works.
But i didn't make anything else, restart the system and it works, cool...even wine that start all my "Adventure" was back in the game...cool
The only difference is that my lib folder appear as a link....
So in this mid time i thinking in how sweet Windows are (regret), i have to reinstall arch again noooo....
But that chroot rocks...No need to reinstall, what a relieve... i quite don't understand right what i have done... but i feel now more comfortable with Arch. I have to study more about create live cd, for more mistakes in the future.

Now  @dolby  i can say ARCH ROCKS!
"ARCH i choose you!"
Thank you Arch community
And thanks a lot to @all that respond to the post helpping the newbies, to the moderators and administrator that do a great job
Long life to the newbies...be proud to be a newbie
@thanKyouAll

Last edited by mjsfreitas (2012-07-23 15:21:45)

#2552 2012-07-23 18:22:51

dkong

Hello!

My name is Daniel, I'm a rising sophomore in college majoring in physics, and I've used Linux for about two years now. I've mostly used Mint (first as a VM with a Windows 7 host, then dual booting with Windows 7), and will be installing Arch on the desktop that I built yesterday!

I still love Linux Mint and will continue to run it on my laptop, but the reasons why I want to use Arch on my desktop are:

- Rolling release. I can't say that I relish the idea of reinstalling my OS every few years to stay current.
- Excellent documentation (I've learned more about linux from the ArchWiki than from any other distribution's documentation)
- I really like understaing what is actually going on. While it's nice to have an OS that works straight out of the box, I don't really like GUIs that are designed to hide the details from the user.
- The community. I've lurked on these forums for a bit and really like the friendly/helpful culture here. I plan on contributing to it more in the future :-)

#2553 2012-07-24 07:51:23

Ariya

dolby wrote:

Non-Moderator Note: This is the unofficial "I'm a newbie to Arch" thread. Post here if you'd like to say hello to the friends you're going to make here, or to say hello to a friend u persuaded to join the wonderful world of Arch Linux. Feel free to explain your reasons.

Not much sense in posting if you just want to post that "Arch Rocks" (in whatever form of leetspeak you prefer, of course).

Naturally, we hope this thread will be the longest one in the forum history! :-)

below (if u scroll for a short while) you'll find some the first hello of this thread
and prolly some leet comments from ppl already using arch for a while

hello smile

ps. dont be afraid afraid to post. afterall everyone like noobs (mmm blood) tongue

I am not very sure this is a friendly forum now. I had just asked a question, which was deleted without giving a reply. It could be very simple to the geek, not to people like us. At least someone should direct somewhere to find the answer. sad

Last edited by Ariya (2012-07-24 07:53:30)

#2554 2012-07-24 08:53:15

SanskritFritz
Website

Ariya wrote:

I am not very sure this is a friendly forum now. I had just asked a question, which was deleted without giving a reply. It could be very simple to the geek, not to people like us. At least someone should direct somewhere to find the answer. sad

There was a reply for sure, which pointed you to the right direction. Read the news on hte homepage and the wiki page linked from it. What is not clear now? Don't be offended, just adapt to the rules and you'll be fine, you'll see. Want archlinux? Do your research, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2555 2012-07-24 09:24:57

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Ariya, we have a Forum Etiquette for a purpose. Please read it before complaining.
You were pointed to the solution. Just do your homework.

This is a warning. Don't be a help vampire. You will risk a ban otherwise.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#2556 2012-07-25 01:53:36

newtolinux

Hi Everyone,
Finally into the world of arch linux after a week of battle. This would be first manual install of linux. smile I enjoyed it! Every problem I faced ,there was a post with a fix.. I am lucky, i think! big_smile
Thank you all.

#2557 2012-07-25 10:14:09

rix

Hi to Everyone and pleased to meet You. smile

I'm a quite new Arch user from Italy and everything I know is self-taught, English included, so if I will make errors I will be glad if You let me know.

What else... I have an old Sony Vaio running Arch and Windows 7 (for Design reasons).
I use Arch most of the time in the Tty with Tmux and when not, I use Dwm and no DE.

I also really want to say thank to You all, for the Distro, the Wiki and for to be one of the best Community I ever seen.

Thanks for your work, I'm sure I will enjoy the stay.
See you soon right here. wink

Last edited by rix (2012-09-20 22:13:46)

#2558 2012-07-25 12:52:38

lorizean

Hi guys.

I just recently changed my netbook from Ubuntu to Arch and I was so taken with it that I installed it on my Desktop too smile
I really like it, the wiki is awesome and the IRC people are friendly as well - I'm here to stay wink

#2559 2012-07-26 08:16:23

VInze

Hi all!
My name is Vincent, 23 years old and running Arch Linux since last week.
In the past I have been trying to build a nice system from scratch with Arch but after many failed attempts I installed Ubuntu.
Recently I had some trouble with Gnome on Ubuntu so I decided it was time to give Arch another shot.
Now running Arch Linux with Openbox and it's blazing fast compared to Gnome3, got some minor stuff I can't get done and that's one of the reasons why I registered.
Cya!

#2560 2012-07-26 11:29:02

scy22

hello everyone,

I have been using linux for 3 years and am windows free since about a year now.
I have tried many linux distros before installing Arch on my netbook and after 6 months with it I have to say that it give me the control I was looking for over my system.

#2561 2012-07-26 18:42:23

laithor

Hello everyone,

I've been using Linux for about 3 years at home (still have to use windows at work).  I started with Puppy Linux then Vector then moved to Arch.  I've also played around with Salix and Bhodi Linux but nothing can beat Arch IMO.  I use an old Dell laptop, so I focus on small and lean distros.  I love Arch's simplicity, total lack of bloat, and the rolling release.  I love how Arch allows me to completely tailor my system to what I need it to be.  Freedom at last!

#2562 2012-07-27 11:35:35

Rem

Hi everyone,

I have been using Linux for around 10 years now. Started with Mandrake and Red Hat and moved on to Debian and Gentoo. I am looking for a distro which is customizable like Gentoo is, but without the source packages. That is why I decided to try ArchLinux. A colleague uses ArchLinux and recommended it to me. Hope it will be a productive, stable system and I hope I can be of help on this forum to others using ArchLinux.

Main interests for my work are simple things as mail, working in a GTD (Getting Things Done) with tools like remember the milk and other stuff that can be done in the browser, but I also use a lot of office tooling (spreadsheets) and database editing/analysis. See you around!

#2563 2012-07-29 02:13:22

highway

first installed arch in 2008, and went back to ubuntu for a bit after selling that computer.

EDIT: started with gentoo in 2004, then went to ubuntu. have been on that for 99% of the time since then from 4.10 forward. hate the new stuff with unity so it was time to leave that all behind.

i really thought i had an acct here from then, but i can't find it with any emails i have etc. so i made a new one tongue

i expected it to be this username . . .

anyway, a friend got me back on arch, have a vbox install going until i get my laptop ready for the plunge . . . (hardware issues)

excited to be here, and hopefully i will post a bit tongue

Last edited by highway (2012-07-29 16:15:31)

#2564 2012-07-29 09:27:07

yxol

33, Stockholm/Sweden

Started using Linux Just before Redhat 5.1 came out. Moved to FreeBSD because of work related issues. Since then i have used a number of different distributions before arriving here.

Installed Arch on my Asus Eee 1000h about a week ago to test it out and was pleased with the result. After compiling/tweaking the drivers/xorg the speed differance was even more noticable. I can now play most 720p movies on what basically is a small, affordable but until now hopelessly underpowered netbook. The AUR suppliments what i liked most about FreeBSD's ports. The rolling release solves most of the constant hunt for up to date software. Waiting & hoping that there will be an update soon that gives basic functionallity you need now isn't good enough. The configuration is intuitive and straight forward, more of what i liked about FreeBSD. The Wiki and BBS is great for solving problems and finding solutions.

Have a stationary PC that isn't stable enough to game on under Vista so it didn't get used much. Installed Arch on it too a few days ago. Just after Arch dropped its old installation UI script. Had to learn how dm-crypt/luks & lvm works to configure it manually. Took some time but it works great. Only real problem has been audio, but that works now too. \o/

#2565 2012-07-29 14:24:50

gjemt

Debian user looking to switch to Arch. I've ran Arch before, but I was suggested to use Chakra, but never ended up using it. I'm coming back now looking to compile from source and use Awesome WM as my WM. So, if you have experience with that, please let me know.

#2566 2012-07-29 15:00:47

avinash.verma.hbk

Hi Guys,
  Avinash from India, been using slackware and ubuntu since 2005, shifted to archlinux yesterday just for fun and learning more. Also i've been looking in to shift to something that is more bleeding edge and has good manuals.

Caution : I can go Geek to N00B in a microsecond

#2567 2012-07-29 16:14:03

highway

welcome guys tongue

Last edited by highway (2012-07-29 16:14:32)

#2568 2012-07-29 16:29:50

ewaller
Administrator

gjemt wrote:

Debian user looking to switch to Arch. I've ran Arch before, but I was suggested to use Chakra, but never ended up using it. I'm coming back now looking to compile from source and use Awesome WM as my WM. So, if you have experience with that, please let me know.

Welcome to Arch.  You will want to read the articles on the Arch Build System (ABS) and on the Arch User Repository (AUR)

Out of curiosity, you did not mention Gentoo.  It is a fine distribution as well and is the build from source distribution (If you don't count LFS).

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2569 2012-07-29 17:05:32

gjemt

ewaller wrote:
gjemt wrote:

Welcome to Arch.  You will want to read the articles on the Arch Build System (ABS) and on the Arch User Repository (AUR)

Out of curiosity, you did not mention Gentoo.  It is a fine distribution as well and is the build from source distribution (If you don't count LFS).

I was considering Gentoo as well, and I may end up going with Gentoo. I tried out their live disk and I saw a lot of functionality. I'm just really here to get a better feel of the distros to find out which I would want to go with. I do want to do a LFS build eventually, so I may do that instead.
I think overall, Arch is another stepping stone to get myself versed enough to be linux competent to the point where I can build from source or build from scratch without overwelming myself. Once I understand the OS enough though, I'm definitely going to end with my own LFS flavor to run.

Besides all of that, Arch has a nice community. (´・ω・`)
I have even thought about going with Open BSD, but I've been deployed for the last 7 months. 7 months of X11 when you want to read pdfs, watch movies, or listen to music is straight up masochistic. Then again, I was using Arch with only X11 for a while, eventually something screwed up and I decided to take the Debian path to linux. If it doesn't break, then you won't learn, so it's time to learn more.

Last edited by gjemt (2012-07-29 17:08:22)

#2570 2012-07-30 15:06:48

palomaamatias

Greetings Archers!

My name is Matias Palomaa, 21 years old and an open source supporter from Sweden.
I've been using this robust distro for about a month now and I'm very pleased with it.

This is of course not my first experience with Linux and I've been in a big distro hopping just like most of you.
My ultimate objective is to have a fully functional work-/media-station that is easy to configure for all my needs.
I'm mostly into programming / music production and I know that Linux has great potential for it. (e.g. Emacs, Jack)

So far I've set up the foundation of my system i.e. hardware configurations and a clean desktop environment.
It took a while before I made up my mind and tried out Arch because it seemed to be too complicated.
But it was considering all the good reviews I could not help but join the trend and yeah the beginners wiki
gave me really good instructions through the whole installation process.

Thanks to the developers and to everyone who keeps this awesome distro alive!

See ya!

Last edited by palomaamatias (2012-07-30 15:33:01)

#2571 2012-07-30 17:08:51

Braintrash

Hell-o all,

I just joined this forum because I wanted to gather some information about Arch Linux.

I am a Mac user for my desktop needs, and sometimes have to mess with Windows, which I really dislike, especially the 8 which I believe to be the right way to go wrong.

As for Linux, I learned it by setting up a distant server with Ubuntu Server, using only the command line. I also tried Ubuntu Desktop, but I never got hooked with it.

For my next project, I wanna set up a MAME box for my arcade cabinet, as part of my digital KISS home (ie. keeping and using all my digital stuff on server, and keeping and not using my physical stuff (CD, DVD, arcade boards, etc.) locked in warehouse.

And for this MAME box, I think that Arch Linux should be the way to go, having a bare system with SDLMAME and a frontend, connected to my server with my ROM. Hence my presence here.

Glad to meet you!

#2572 2012-08-02 11:42:24

qinohe

Hello guys ...and galls,
Greetings to you all from Eindhoven Netherlands,

Using Arch for a couple of months now starting on an old laptop (1999).
This did run very well even with Openbox, but the laptop broke!
So now running Arch on  i7 laptop (main), and I'm very impressed with it.
In the case of Arch I really am just a noob, but by reading reading and reading some more I manage to keep a running sysytem, without big problems.
Now computers are a hobby for some time , this is the first OS that gives me that 'playing with LEGO' feeling.
I really like it that way, for me it's the best OS for learning (and playing) linux inside out. Thank you Devs wink

See you around

#2573 2012-08-02 14:43:47

D4ve

I'm running arch since 9 months, so i'm not really new, but today i ran into problems i couldn't solve myself.

So, Hello everyone smile

Usual praise: Arch is really great. I used most time of my Linux-life Ubuntu and for almost every problem theres a graphical solution (so boring). Arch is something you can really control 100 percent from commandline. And everything is so easy, just edit a config-file and problem solved.

First i used Arch on my Homeserver, because Ubuntu Server was too slow. Now i'm using Arch on every device that can run Linux.

I think theres nothing more to say how much i love ArchLinux (at the moment, maybe some day i will change my mind)

#2574 2012-08-03 15:47:57

WonderWoofy

Hello everyone!

My name is Curtis, and I reside in California's Silicon Valley.  I am an OSX convert, having now been on Arch for about three months or so. 

I had always liked the file structure of OSX and the stability when compared to Windows was amazing.  Having the increased security was not such a horrible thing either.  So I thought, since OSX was ultimately a *nix based system, why not break free of the chains and find a system that allows me to truly make it what I want it to be.  First I started with Ubuntu, which was admittedly a great place to start.  That lasted about two weeks before I started distro hopping.  I tried Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, and many others.  With every one of those I felt like I was installing the same gnome with a different wallpaper.  So I looked into minimal installs (such as doing an Ubuntu net install and building it that way), searching for info regarding that lead me to Slackware.  I did like it, but the lack of dependecy resolution (and me still being a noob) drove me to search for something with a more "advanced" package manager.  I finally found Arch and the hopping has ceased.  I liked it so much, within a week of use I started making donations (the first donations to a distro).  I guess since I had been paying for operating systems all my life I felt like it would be good to "pay" for something I truly appreciate.

My old computer was a late 2006 MacBook Core2 1.86.  It worked, but the 32-bit EFI forced me to use the BIOS emulation for 64-bit Arch, so I saved a bit of money for a more GNU/Linux friendly system.  A week ago my new Thinkpad was delivered!  The first thing I did was check for BIOS updates and then started my Arch install.

So I have been diving into the community with both feet, head first and have been loving every minute of it.  I think the best part really is the quality of information/documentation.  Not only is the Wiki top notch, but in the forums, there is intelligent discussions leading to real solutions.  I had become a bit dismayed by the Ubuntu forums and the lack of quality answers there (not to mention the lack of quality questions, or quesitons asked in a smart way).  But here there are real experts willing to help non-help-vampires.

So hello everyone, and thank you all for being the best online community I have found to date!

#2575 2012-08-03 19:49:26

hairwire

Hello everyone. This would be my very first post here. This is my first venture into the world of Arch. I'm employed as a system admin and mostly in day-to-day operations, I'm dealing with HP-UX Systems. But recently, we have a new project that involves mostly using Red Hat Linux. Researching for resources to troubleshoot problems made me stumbled into this great world. Installing the system for the first time, I ran through a lot of hiccups but I've managed it in the end. So far, it has been a great journey and I wish I can contribute more for the community in the future. This community looks great and I think I will learn a lot here.

So, Hello Again! See you guys around! :-)

Last edited by hairwire (2012-08-03 19:58:05)

Board footer