You are not logged in.

#2626 2012-09-02 02:54:57

Chocapeek

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello from Portugal!

My name is JG, known in several places as Chocapeek and i'm an alcoholic. Oh wait, I meant Arch user. Really.

Like many of you guys i've been trying out Linux in the several distros out there, switching into M$ occasionally due to software (mostly gaming and CAD) restrictions.

I'm a mech engineering student and an anarchist at heart, so Linux and the whole open source ideal fits me like a glove.

I am also willing to help and will try to find out how when I can, being my degree, wife, Judo and jobseeking my higher priorities, not necessarily in that order.

Best regards and thank you all for maintaining this great community and distro!

#2627 2012-09-03 04:20:25

michael.conner

Hi all,

New Arch user here from Texas. Tried to install Arch about four years ago, didn't go very well, but tried out Manjaro last week and liked it enough to try out Arch again for real this time.

I'm actually surprised at how much easier it was than I thought it was going to be. Granted, I went through a pretty big Slackware phase last year, but got the base system installed, no problem, only had a couple of minor mishaps along the way, nothing that wasn't fixable.

Grub didn't work right, but didn't work right with Manjaro, either, just installed LILO and it works fine. Got xorg and MATE installed, touchpad wouldn't work, didn't have the xf86-input-synaptics package installed. Easily enough fixed. /etc/fstab had both / and /home pointing to the same partition, even though they're supposed to be on separate ones -- didn't discover it until I'd already created my non-root user.

Have Compiz/Emerald installed, all is working well and it's fast as hell ;-)

Last edited by michael.conner (2012-09-03 04:21:09)

#2628 2012-09-03 09:25:33

webspider

@michael.conner: Try Syslinux as bootloader.

#2629 2012-09-03 09:44:13

Morn

Hi all!

I'm a longtime Linux user, started in late 1996 on Slackware 3.0. Later moved to SuSE (so I no longer had to compile Qt and KDE myself), then FreeBSD when I became fed up with YaST and RPMs in about 2002. Mostly a FreeBSD user until this year when the latest FreeBSD version turned out _not_ to support my ancient Nvidia graphics card anymore. Tried out Arch, as it was recommended to me, first on the old PC, than got a cheapo new PC which now dual-boots Windows 7 (yuck!) and Arch x64 (yay!).

So far I'm really impressed with Arch; it's a nice cross between the FreeBSD/Slackware simplicity, while at the same time having binary packages that actually work (as opposed to SuSE).

Kudos to the devs for creating this distro! It has actually managed to rekindle my long-lost love for Linux.
Martin

#2630 2012-09-03 21:59:33

robotanarchy

Hi there,

I am not exactly new to archlinux, but as I have just done a fresh re-install on my netbook yesterday, I think it's time to sign up again.

Why fresh installing a rolling-release distro? I've read about a better way to set it up encrypted -- using lvm, so I only have to type in one password for both root and swap -- and also arch has changed a lot in the past 6? months (I used my main computer in the mean time with windows 7). I mean you guys got rid of all the menus on the live CD, now it has zsh as default and the package signing now works properly big_smile

Also I prefer to do a fresh install, because over the time I tend to install packages I don't really need/use and I was using gnome3 previously. Liked the idea and the interface as such, but all the further design decisions I've read about in the news made me install xfce this time smile

And why did I create a new account this time? Well, I've had an account for a few years now, but since I've saved all the passwords in a keepass db, which I can't access anymore, I can't prove it anyway so I won't even mention the username. It also didn't have too many posts, so who cares smile

Oh and I couldn't use Arch without being involved in the community at all. Whenever I find out something arch related after searching/trying for a long time, I feel the need to share it in the wiki and at least give something back that way to my favorite linux distribution.

tl;dr: hello archbbs big_smile

#2631 2012-09-03 22:24:17

unclutter

Hi everyone! Been using Arch, pretty much hassle free, for about half a year now. Haven't had any issue that hasn't been solvable using DuckDuckGo with the search prefixes site:wiki.archlinux.org or site:bbs.archlinux.org, so there's been no need for me to post anything here.

Just wanted to sound my appreciation for this excellent community, and let you all know you have been of great help. Keep up the great work!

Best. Distro. Ever.

Regards,

#2632 2012-09-03 22:44:57

whjms

Hello. After using Ubuntu for a couple of months as my first Linux OS, I thought I would try something new. I was originally a bit fearful of Arch, after hearing about how it was hard to setup and learn. However, the excellent documentation on the wiki and the great people on the forums proved that otherwise. I thank the Arch community for making this project easy to use, and if anyone reading this is on the fence about trying Arch, I highly recommend it. If I could do it, so could you!

It is a good idea to "shop around" before you settle on a doctor. Ask about the condition of his Mercedes. Ask about the competence of his mechanic. Don't be shy! After all, you're paying for it.
--Dave Barry

#2633 2012-09-03 22:51:51

David López

Hi. I've been using ubuntu for 4 years in my PC. Now I've got a wetab tablet since December, and I tweaked ubuntu 11.10 to adapt unity to it (http://ubuntutablet.blogspot.com). However updating to 12.04 was a complete dissaster, I had to move to Lubuntu, but lot's of things in my touchscreen were broken (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147264). A week ago I installed Arch in my tablket, now almost all the problems are gone, my tablet is faster than ever and I have all the control about what is or what is not installed. I've asked a question in the forum and 1 minute later I had the answer (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=148319). Well, I think I've landed in the right place, thanks to all.

#2634 2012-09-04 00:11:38

WesleyDimble

Greetings!

I'm a new GNU/Linux user. After playing around on my school's server through PuTTY for a couple of summers and enjoying how easy doing things was with the command line, I finally decided to get Linux working at home too.

Thanks for making everything so simple!

#2635 2012-09-04 05:12:20

SanskritFritz
Website

WesleyDimble wrote:

Greetings!

I'm a new GNU/Linux user. After playing around on my school's server through PuTTY for a couple of summers and enjoying how easy doing things was with the command line, I finally decided to get Linux working at home too.

Thanks for making everything so simple!

What a great way to start with Linux!

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2012-09-04 05:12:33)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2636 2012-09-04 10:14:43

Deleh

Hello everybody,

I've used different Linux distributions for a few years and finally found my way to Arch smile

Greetings from Germany,
Deleh

#2637 2012-09-04 16:52:28

winebar

Hi everyone. I'm new on the forum  but not with Arch.
As we say in Italy, i know that like my pocket. smile

Last edited by winebar (2012-09-04 17:21:30)

#2638 2012-09-04 19:10:41

franzb

Hi everyone!

Long time linux user here. Coming back to Arch is like coming home! (At work I have to use Ubuntu...)

Great distro, great docs, great community!

Franz

#2639 2012-09-05 14:50:53

SamFinR

Hello, I'm Sam from Finland. Even though I'm not
complete noob with Linux which I've used since 2001,
I am noob with Arch.

My Linux history:
Simply MEPIS versions+ProMEPIS->Ubuntu almost all versions
from 7.04->Crunchbang 8.04 to 11.

I have great difficulties with Arch, I hope you gurus would help
me even to the start.

Sam

#2640 2012-09-05 16:29:24

LyCC

Hi everyone,
i'm Levi, "professional" programer at work, amature at home, gamer.

My Linux history: Linux Mint 11, 12, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint 12, Chakra, now Arch with KDE.
Installed Arch live yesterday, StarCraft 2 working, no source engine based game yet, compiz not yet, neet to read more docs, couldn't figure out automounting yet ... beside this as a complete newbie, i managed to configure everything I wanted (nvidia driver, daemons, KDE, removed pulsaudio, GTK Oxygen themes, autologin, styles&themes - I love the Quartz window theme, which is removed now from almost all the distros or i could not find it anywhere, lib32 stuff, etc).

Arch is the best documented distro i ever seen, and FREEDOME on how to configure your system (what i don't like some distros, i just installed a Mageia 2 for someone, noaveau hardwired in the system, which is no problem, unless you want the Nvidia driver and you can't blacklist noaveau for some reason so both are loaded).

I'm truly sorry i waited till now to install Arch, the basic text mod installer was removed in this time smile but even so, i find it as a newbie easy to install (everything very well documented), but it takes more time.

Greetings Arch community.

#2641 2012-09-07 16:15:54

Sanne

Hi everybody,

it's time to say hello officially. I've been using Arch Linux for some months in a virtual machine to test out if I could handle it, and about 10 days ago I finally installed it on hd. I began using Linux roughly 10 years ago with a Slackware variant that could be installed inside Windows 98, then quickly went on to the real thing with Debian Woody.

After some time I began to wish for applications being less...  stable and went on to Debian Unstable (Sid), but often was too afraid to upgrade, so I looked for alternatives. About that time Ubuntu came along and sounded like just what I wanted, a Debian-based system with newer software and faster release cycles. I stayed with some kind of Ubuntu until recently, but I tended to not doing dist upgrades because of fear of breakage and often ended up *again* with ancient installations and still too old software. smile

Well. I looked again for alternatives, found Arch, loved what I read, was amazed by the excellent documentation and nice community, loved the philosophy, and went ahead and tried it out. So here I am, so far it's wonderful.

Hello to you all.

Last edited by Sanne (2012-09-07 16:37:11)

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#2642 2012-09-08 21:05:17

Shady

Hi everyone smile

I'm coming from the *BSD corner, FreeBSD to be exact.
I still love FreeBSD, but I really wanted to try out Linux, and among every distribution I found Arch to be the one that suits me best.
I'm switching mostly because I wanted more current applications, and better support for the OS by app-devs.
So far I'm positively surprised, installation was super easy, and pacman is apparently a gift from God big_smile

Looking forward to be an active and helpful member of the Arch community smile

PS: Sorry for my English, it's not my native tongue.

Last edited by Shady (2012-09-08 21:05:49)

#2643 2012-09-08 23:12:13

ewaller
Administrator

Shady wrote:

Hi everyone smile... pacman is apparently a gift from God big_smile

Nah, just Allan.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2644 2012-09-09 05:54:49

JokerFMJ

Hello everyone.

I'm new to Linux in general, despite the fact that I've tried to switch from Windows to Linux several times over the past 10 years or so. I really am going to give it the old college try this time, so I decided I should find somewhere for some technical support on my journey. My previous transition failures have come due to lack of knowledge and mounting frustration. Naturally I installed Ubuntu first, but it quickly began annoying me... So I plan on installing Arch tomorrow and giving that a try. From what I have read it's completely customizable (granted knowledge is required for that) and that is ultimately what I want.

So... That's my introduction!

Thanks.

#2645 2012-09-09 20:23:11

archbeast
Website

Hello everyone.

I'm newish to Arch. Have to say though, I have learnt an awful lot in a short period of time, and I have settled on using Xmonad as my window manager. Having used Ubuntu in the past, as good as it was, it doesn't have the fine grained control you have with Arch, and that's what I need.

I'm looking forward to contributing what I can and learning as much as I can from you guys.

Thanks.

Xmonad rocks!

#2646 2012-09-09 23:13:23

jdalink

Hi all, greetings from Guatemala.

I have been using ubuntu for the last few years,but now than i met Arch Linux i feel that i'm rediscovering the whole world of linux. And learning than the best way to do the things it's the Arch Way...

Last edited by jdalink (2012-09-09 23:13:42)

#2647 2012-09-10 01:44:26

kitoper

Hello everyone.
I came from the world of Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago, so I'm still an Arch noob.
I find that with Arch's lightweight simplicity and documentation, I'll probably stick with it as my main distro.

#2648 2012-09-10 16:55:41

LuisHolmes

Hi to everyone in the forum! I'm Luis, from México. I came to ArchLinux about a week ago... i come from Fedora and i want to "jump" the new user barrier and become a developer.

I know my english sucks...

Sorry for my poor english.

Registered Linux User #559855

#2649 2012-09-11 09:02:37

Sanchayan
Website

Hello everyone. Just successfully installed Arch today.

Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 11.10, Ubuntu 12.04, Debian Squeeze, Mint Maya and Fedora are the distros i have tried before. Mainly interested in Linux from an embedded view point, device drivers and system programming.

Wanted more control over Linux so switched from Ubuntu Unity Garbage to Arch. Looking forward to contributing to Arch and being a part of this community.

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

#2650 2012-09-11 21:29:48

dn_nb

Hey all. Arch has been my distro of choice since around 04 or 05. I've been using linux off and on though. Thought I would finally make an account here.

Board footer