You are not logged in.

#251 2008-10-22 21:30:27

icetonic

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Soo.. Hello smile
I'm coming from Ubuntu as well (after about 3/4 year) big_smile I found it really easy to install Arch... My first (test) install took maybe 4 hours, but after I figured out how to do the WLAN configuration and made my REAL install it went really fast and in about 2 hours I had GNOME up and running big_smile
I thing on the live-cd should be more information from the wiki included about how setting up an internet connection... It was quite annoying to reboot to ubuntu all the time to look everything up... then I had the idea to save the article locally - reading a normal website under links is painful but it worked...
So - and I get to the point - I think Arch is really newbie friendly, but the CD should include a dump from the whole arch wiki (formatted for viewing with a textbrowser) - that would make it perfect

#252 2008-10-23 11:09:57

Nacht

Hello,

I'm a new Arch user AND in fact a fresh new Linux user. I've learned more about my computer the last few days than I ever knew before (ok, I knew basically nothing, so that wasn't hard). I'm even quite proud of actually having managed partitioning my harddrive big_smile (hey, let me enjoy the small victories) less proud of the fact that I was stupid enough to install Arch on the wrong partition (and poof! No more Vista! Somehow it *did* feel kinda liberating), so going through the entire process once more right after running the fancy-smancy complete-recovery-of-factory-settings discs of Toshiba. I did have trouble with the ftp-install though (used core instead, but with a wired 100Mbps connection it seems silly) . The Marvel Yukon 88E8040T PCI-E fast ethernet controller in my shiny new Toshiba U400-136 doesn't seem to be recognized, and I'm too new to all this to know what to do to fix this. I distilled somewhere that a new 2008.10 Arch is going to be released soon which will make the initial instal work with my network card maaaaaybe? I suppose I could wait for that..

I'm pretty good at reading and following instructions (oh teh internets, my saviour!), but even use of the command line is new and exotic for me (and.. err.. fun, in a strange and scary way), so expect me to need some help and ask some extremely stupid questions next week, when I'll have more time to tinker with all this.

Anyway, you guys seem nice enough smile

#253 2008-10-23 18:14:54

dreamwalker

Hello
I'm a new ArchLinux user
I've been using Slackware Linux for last 5 years
Moved to Arch for Pacman :]
I'm interested in python (the language, not the animal :>), guitar and rpg (pen and paper roleplaying games)
I hope i'll like Archlinux.
I don't want to use neither Debian nor Fedora

Last edited by dreamwalker (2008-10-23 18:16:58)

#254 2008-10-24 23:49:37

jamesbannon

Evening all! Just joined. Installed Arch on my machine after running Fedora for years (thought I'd like a little change). Seems to be going OK so far. I have GNOME installed etc., firewall set-up (after a bit of fiddling) and firefox working. Looks like a decent distro, so I think I'll stick around a while.

#255 2008-10-25 23:48:48

tomage

HI everyone,

I've just finished to install a fully functionnal desktop environment (Gnome) after some work but it feel that it was my fastest linux installation ever (I've tried Debian 4 years ago, switched to Gentoo 2 years ago, then to Ubuntu 6 months ago and finally to Archlinux this morning).

What I like in Archlinux for now is the ability I have to choose what I want to install, to understand what I do, therefore to learn a lot about the system... all of this quickly (my last experience with a fully customisable distribution was with Gentoo and I was fed up with compiling and waiting 15 minutes just to test something).

Now, I hope I will be using Archlinux for a long time and become something else than a poor lost newbie ;-)

#256 2008-10-27 04:42:42

dduong

Hello everyone smile

My name is David.  I've been using Archlinux for about a year now and I love it!  I'm currently using it on my laptop (Thinkpad T61p) and on another drive on my main PC.  I migrated over from Xubuntu and never regretted it.

My main goals is to get to know Linux as much as possible and once I'm familiar with it, I will make it my # 1 goal is to join the development side of Arch.

Last edited by dduong (2008-10-27 04:43:03)

David

#257 2008-10-27 05:13:05

renuvio

Hello everyone:

I installed Arch a couple of days ago, sharing the disk with w98 and Puppy Linux 4; "pacman" is awesome and is great all my hardware was detected without any problem.

Very nice GNU/Linux distro, i must say. For me, goodbye Slax (and dynebolic and Mandrake Linux 9, too).

#258 2008-10-28 16:47:34

1cewolf

Hi there! I switched over to Linux in summer of 2007 after Windows XP freaked out on me. My first distro was Ubuntu 7.04. Feisty Fawn was one lean, mean system and I never had a problem with it. Gutsy and Hardy became increasingly slow, bloated, and buggy and Intrepid seems to be continuing the tradition with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I respect what they're trying to do, but clearly their vision of usability is different than mine is. I want control over my system and I want to learn enough about my system's inner workings so that I understand what's going on under the hood without having to ask every time I run into a problem.

I had actually written off Arch a long time ago as old-fashioned and esoteric, but after I gave The Arch Way another look and browsed through some of the documentation, I was impressed and decided to give it a try. I've only installed the base system so far, but the Arch Beginner's Guide has been simply outstanding at explaining how things work and I look forward to finishing things off later tonight. I built my own computer and now I'll get to enjoy building its OS!

Last edited by 1cewolf (2008-10-28 16:48:55)

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect."
-Linus Torvalds
Keeping the side effect going since Summer 2007 smile

#259 2008-10-30 09:29:53

evilgold

Hello everyone. Another new Arch User here. After about 4 years of other distros (fedora>gentoo>ubuntu>debian sid), I finally decided to give arch a look for no real special reason and it turned out to be my dream disto. I cant believe i've gone this long without using arch. To be honest, i've been a very happy user of debian sid for the past 2 years or so, but it tends to be less bleeding edge then i like, and it does break on occasion.  I always loved gentoo as well, but the compiling and other issues i've had with it kept pushing me back to debian. With arch i have a distro thats just as bleeding edge as sid and gentoo, with none of the hassels that either of them gave me. I'm just now finishing backing up the rest of my home folder on my desktop in preperation for switching it over. Thanks to every one of the devs for making this superb disto, and to the community for being so helpful.

#260 2008-10-30 16:56:37

uways

Hello world!

I have been using Ubuntu for the past 2 years and was disappointed in its ever increasing bloat. Quite frankly, none of the recent *buntus are able to run on low spec hardware (re: my computer). I felt that switching over to a lighter desktop environment was an unnecessary compromise I didn't have to make. So I started searching for alternatives. Tried Vector, Gentoo and plain Debian (old/boring!) and then then finally read about Arch Linux in the Ubuntu forums.

Pleasant surprise #1: how easy it was to install. The config files are commented and documented well (unlike Ubuntu) and it was easy to find the file I needed to edit to get things set up my way.

Pleasant surprise #2: Pacman is so freaking awesome! Set up XORG, KDE and KDM with no effort at all.

Pleasant surprise #3: The best part is KDE 4.1.2 running on P3 800 w/ 256mb RAM!!! Coming from Ubuntu, I would never have thought this was possible. (Sure it doesn't run like a dream, but well enough by my standards).

As a Debian user, the Arch paradigm is foreign to me but I hope to learn more and get comfy with it.
I look forward to more pleasant surprises

<cheer> Arch! </cheer>

#261 2008-10-30 21:50:12

HermanChess

hi there. I've been lurking the wiki and the forums for 2 weeks or so, I just happen to post now.

I had my first cup of linux some years ago, with Slackware, I went to windows again, then Mandriva, then windows, then Ubuntu, then linux mint, and now arch.

I'm loving arch, I'm loving the community, I'm loving the wiki, I'm loving rc.conf, I'm loving pacman, I'm loving the problems and I'm loving the solutions, and lately, I'm loving openbox.

#262 2008-10-31 01:21:30

psilo357

Hello all, im psilo and Im brand new Arch user.  Not new to linux though, I have used, kubuntu and ubuntu, pclinuxos, linux mint, and most recently gentoo.  I came here for something between what feels just like bloated windows (ubuntu) and the utter hassle and pain that was gentoo.  Gentoo was my most recent install, and I enjoyed it for a while, but I got so tired of it taking me too long to get a certain application working, or just fixing problems.  It seemed i spent all evening after work for a month just getting my computer to work the way i wanted, and never really just got to sit down and use it.  After some research, i found Arch, and am giving it a whirl.  Got it installed yesterday, without a hitch, and it only took me about an hour, instead of 4 like gentoo...YAY.  So, now as soon as I figure out how to configure everything and how to use this distro, hopefully it will become my home.

#263 2008-11-01 19:29:37

archnildon

Hello everyone,
I've decided to prolong this topic to help it being the longest one in the forum history! :-)
I was looking for distro that suits me best for a long time. Arch won! thanks!
Now I have new and more powerful nick too: archnildon cool wink

#264 2008-11-03 12:51:35

reanimator
Website

Hello everyone, I am Sean, I am from the United States.  I have been messing around with slackware and debian and randomly tried Arch and this seems to have a better philosophy (good organization) than either of the other two.  Also the general setup for Arch is seeming pretty nice, no issues yet.

#265 2008-11-03 13:29:11

al3omdah

Hello Every One

I'm really glad to be here with you guys to learn and share knowledge in the best operating system ever LINUX and specially "Archlinux" I'm new to linux world and trying to do my best to learn and share , finally this is how the science goes ;-)

Thanks,
Emad Mohammad Al-Bloushi

#266 2008-11-05 14:00:36

R45

Hellow !

I joined the wonderful world of open source 2 years ago, with ubuntu. Now I've been converted to Archlinux for 2 months. And finally, I'm posting on this forum for 2 minutes.

Thanks in expectation for all your help wink

#267 2008-11-08 02:09:33

adammichael

Hi, this is my first look @ the Arch forum...

I have to say I'm fairly happy with the distro so far - after coming from Mandrake (my first) -> Redhat -> Fedora -> Slackware -> Gentoo -> Archlinux, I just may have found my distro.   

The "Arch Way" appeals very much to me - as I highly value simplicity and maintainability over "easy to use".  I disliked Mandrake because I could never configure it the way I wanted to, and I disliked Redhat because too much stuff went on in the background (hunting down config file after config file was no fun).  I liked Slackware but something was amiss.  Gentoo took too long before it became useful (in the end, it was just "hobbyism").

I'm not much of a programmer but I am an avid scripter and good at writing docs so let me know if (and how) I can be of any help.

My desktop is XFCE4 + Compiz-Fusion (amazing how simple this was to get working within XFCE4) running on AMD Athlon Sempron 1.6 ghz with 1 GB of RAM & 80GB drive (dualbooting with Windows XP).

#268 2008-11-08 02:53:49

H.Delbrook

Gee Hi Everyone! Isn't this fun? smile
I'm a real newbie with no Linux experience. So I thought to myself "What better way to learn about Linux than installing Archlinux?"
So far it's going ok (sort of)......

"Abby someone... Oh that's right! Abby Normal"

#269 2008-11-08 19:42:07

kgas

Greetings to all. I have finished installing ArchLinux in my Acer TravelMate 291LCi after third attempt not because of the OS but due to my minor mistakes. Still I have to make wireless and bluetooth working. I liked the brick by brick approach to build the system what I want. I am also running Ubuntu in another PC. Bye for now.

#270 2008-11-09 10:45:18

NVS

Hi. First post almost a year after registering. Started using Arch -- and lurking -- back in '04.

#271 2008-11-11 22:41:46

mang
Website

Hi everyone i'm mang
I've been using arch for one month now and have read the forum so i thought i should join aswell and write. yep.
hi:)

#272 2008-11-12 09:06:20

prasetyams

Hi all, I've been using Arch for several months now, but I'm not really active anywhere be it bbs or irc. I always follow some threads and I learn a lot. Hoping someday I can contribute to Arch community smile

Where's my sig?

#273 2008-11-12 19:16:56

Adrimor

I'm a Zed Shaw fanboy who got sick of Ubuntu Studio going apoplectic every other minute. I've fooled around here and there in the command line under Ubuntu a lot, but decided I hated having to click through menus and dialogs whilst fervently praying that the DM would remember my settings this time, and since knowing where the actual config files is highly discouraged on that distro...

Besides which I've heard Arch is much faster--and, having had a Gateway 2000 POS with XP somehow jammed onto it for most of my computer-owning life, I tend to be very stingy with resources even on my fairly recent laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y510)...

There's something I'm forgetting...hmm...ah, yes! Greetings and salutations to all of you!

Last edited by Adrimor (2008-11-12 19:19:33)

I type ~7 times faster than I think. Apologies all around.

#274 2008-11-13 06:31:46

psyodin

a warm hello . < enter usual stuff here>.  well so far so good. been using linux for for a little over a year now. did the usual distro hopping.

i have experienced just the right mix in Archlinux to take the next step in my personal linux schoolin'. very pleased so far with the software, pacman & documentation. real classy me thinks. have a arch linux box running and tweaked to my liking for a few days now, very quick and responsive.

thank you to all yall involved and your efforts

nigel

download>install>configure>enjoy, arch tastes good

#275 2008-11-16 21:09:24

Runiq

Hey there everyone. smile

Name's Patrice. I'm a biochemistry student, I'm more or less grown-up, and I've been using Arch for some months now, having migrated from Ubuntu. Of course I love it so far!

The things I like most right now are the concept of AUR & ABS-and, on top of that, the minimalism of it all...

Hope you'll all bear with me, see ya around smile

Last edited by Runiq (2008-11-16 21:11:07)

Board footer