Arch.
Arch who?
Arch you glad you came back?

By far the greatest Knock Knock joke of all time big_smile

#2752 2012-10-26 08:45:01

Leo Laursen

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi, all
I just installed Arch for the first time. I love how Arch forces me to learn stuff.

#2753 2012-10-26 11:41:52

akshitbaunthiyal
Website

Hello,
I'm Akshit from New Delhi, India. I'm 17 at the moment (will be 18 next month).
I used to hop distros a lot until I got to Chakra Linux. Loved it but broke the system while trying to switch to systemd. Then got to Arch.
Had heard about it before, visited the forums in the past but never could get it working. But here I am now. big_smile

Shifted to Gentoo.

#2754 2012-10-26 13:12:11

s0lid7

Hello all, was thinking of installing Arch about 1-2 years (had one failled attempt) and i recently installed it. As far as i can say it is by far the most "smoothly" and fast running distro I've ever tried. I love the "clean feel" and the way it "forces" me learning things AND the rolling release smile

Keep it clean, keep it simple, keep learning to us things about Linux

greetings!

Do a pacman -Syu to your brain regularly

#2755 2012-10-30 08:25:04

ndejay

Hi!

I have migrated to Arch Linux for some time now and have been using it on both my desktop and laptop. I think my quest for the ultimate distro has finally come to an end as I am very satisfied with it. It has taught me and is still teaching me much about the way Linux operates. I find the Wiki extremely helpful and I am grateful for that. I will try to become a more active member of the community!

Thank you all for this great blessing.

#2756 2012-10-30 14:00:30

madnerves

Hi!

It's been a while since I'm using ArchLinux on all my "working dedicated" computers (in fact, only one is under Win"goddamnshit" for games (for my wife by the way XD)).

I've never took the time to tell how much I love ArchLinux in every ways (sorry for my bad english) so here it is :
Thanks for your help, your explanation, your attitude, your "keep it simple" mind and for staying simple even if years go by.

Thanks to everybody!
Thanks!

#2757 2012-10-30 14:46:14

ewaller
Administrator

Madnerves,  Welcome back to Arch Linux.

But, as a moderator,  I am obliged to remind you of our policy:

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2758 2012-10-30 15:05:59

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ ewaller, i don't think he came back, he just never posted in the hello thread tongue

#2759 2012-10-30 23:27:11

hituni

Hello everyone!

I've been an avid user of different Linux variants (mostly via SSH) throughout the last couple of years but never really managed to make the 'switch' to arch (or any other distribution) for pure desktop usage. Given that I, back then, already knew the basics of Linux I can't really think of any other plausible reason than laziness.

Anyway, with the insanely large number of incredibly helpful topics in this forum and the wonderful wiki I eventually managed to make the 'switch' and I'm happier than ever with my computer! I started with a minimal installation and now got myself a nice setup with awesome wm and everything else that matters for my girlfriend and me (NAS integration, sound, media playback on our TV over HDMI, Catalyst, a couple of games [some of them via Wine]) and everything feels really great because I have a direct control over what's on my system and especially why it is (or should be) there.

Thanks to all of you (arch team, forum posters, wiki masters)! I'm definitely looking forward to hopefully giving something back to this community as soon as possible!

Last edited by hituni (2012-10-30 23:28:54)

#2760 2012-10-31 11:53:42

basica

Greetings and Salutations smile

Decided I might join the forums as they've been of some help as Iate. I had been playing with Arch in a VM for a couple weeks getting a feel of it before deciding to install it. I have been playing around with Linux on and off for quite a few years but never made a full dive into it as I *always* needed to duel boot and eventually found myself booting mostly into Windows and thus no use for Linux. Now that I don't require Windows apps, I made a complete switch over. Setting up Arch has taken me a little while, but thanks to the documentation most issues I encountered were easily resolved (except for the fact I wasn't getting sound; from what I read it wasn't ideal to add users to the audio group if you've got systemd but I had no sound until I added my user account to the audio group?).

Anyways, hello once again and catch y'all around the forums! smile

#2761 2012-10-31 14:08:24

MatejLach
Website

basica wrote:

Greetings and Salutations smile

[...] Setting up Arch has taken me a little while, but thanks to the documentation most issues I encountered were easily resolved (except for the fact I wasn't getting sound; from what I read it wasn't ideal to add users to the audio group if you've got systemd but I had no sound until I added my user account to the audio group?).) [...]

Where does it say that?
You'll always need to add your users to the audio group if you want to access audio devices, as this is the group that these devices use for their permission management.
Systemd is an initsystem and does not manage audio devices or groups directly, (aside from module and service management), as far as I am aware.

#2762 2012-10-31 19:59:50

basica

MatejLach wrote:

Where does it say that?
You'll always need to add your users to the audio group if you want to access audio devices, as this is the group that these devices use for their permission management.
Systemd is an initsystem and does not manage audio devices or groups directly, (aside from module and service management), as far as I am aware.

It says it somewhere in the wiki, can't seem to find it now but this post here has a quote of the section that I came across and was referring to.

#2763 2012-10-31 20:22:11

FlyingHappy

Says it in the systemd wiki HERE

#2764 2012-10-31 20:31:29

MatejLach
Website

FlyingHappy wrote:

Says it in the systemd wiki HERE

Wow!
I wasn't aware of that.
I guess you'll learn something new everyday.
Thanks for the link.

#2765 2012-11-01 01:06:45

solarised

Hi everyone! I've been using arch for some time, and have finally decided to join you here!

#2766 2012-11-01 01:16:10

WonderWoofy

@MatejLach, systemd does not manage the permissions now, but rather udev does with uaccess tags.  There is a thread about this issue in these forums. There is some pretty good info/reasoning as to why users should no longer use the groups we are so used to doing.

Also, hello solarised!  Welcome and enjoy your stay!

#2767 2012-11-01 18:27:38

davedrowsy
Website

Hi everyone! I'm Dave. I live in Durham, NC (USA) and I've been using Arch for about 4-5 months now and I absolutely love it. It feels so good to be in control of my system, moreso than any other distro I've tried. I've been using Linux for a little over 4 years, and I've learned way more about Linux with Arch than I ever have with any other distro.

I'm currently using Manjaro Linux, a fantastic new (est. 2011, I believe) Arch-based distro with its own repos, which are slightly behind Arch's. Their devs test all the updated Arch packages thoroughly before they end up in the Manjaro repos. I decided to switch after having one too many upgrading mishaps with pure Arch tongue

Like a few others I've seen in this thread, I don't really post much here because if I ever have a problem with Arch, someone else must have had the same problem, so it's just a matter of googling to find the solution. I love Arch! big_smile

#2768 2012-11-01 19:04:22

WonderWoofy

Hello davedrowsy, Just remember that Manjaro is not Arch, so looking for Manjaro help in these forums will probably not work out too well.

#2769 2012-11-02 02:10:49

LordArturito

Hello Arch people!

I've been using this incredible OS for some 5 or 6 months already, it has worked so good all this time using it mostly for development.
Before I used Linux Mint and Windows 7 dual booted, but now, with Arch Linux, I fianally was able to say goodbye forever to Windows, since I hate that OS, im forced to use it at anywhere I go, well... Especially at my office, escaping from exlporer and using cygwin to feel more like at home, but im glad that at least I develop with JavaSE and javaEE and not that .net whatever thing.

Im also a gamer, but a true console gamer actually from the 90'.  And now since I finished my programmer analyst career and have a good job, i'll be getting into game development, still I have a lot to learn.
I've used C++ with SDL quite a lot and Python with Pygame loved that language.

And now with Valve launching Steam for Linux things are going to start getting real tight for gamers on Linux. Besides Unity3D 4 will have Linux exports as native applications, interested to see what's gonna happend.

Well that's all for me, so nice to be in the official forums here cool

See ya guys wink

PD: The question to register was pretty neat, no more 2+2 crap, but being a bash terminal.

#2770 2012-11-02 16:36:37

davedrowsy
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

Hello davedrowsy, Just remember that Manjaro is not Arch, so looking for Manjaro help in these forums will probably not work out too well.

I've actually been able to solve quite a few problems in Manjaro using advice from the Arch forums... Manjaro is really just a customized Arch install with many things pre-configured for convenience. Of course it still pays to learn about how an Arch system works, because (at least most) things in a distro like Manjaro can be configured or fixed using the same config files. We get the same packages, just slightly later than people using the official Arch repos, and (the best part) we have access to the AUR! We can also install current packages from the official Arch repos if we want to, by simply downloading the packages and using pacman locally.

I've had Manjaro for about 2-3 weeks now, and I would say that it's very similar to using pure Arch, with the exception that it's a little less bleeding-edge / more stable, and a lot of things come pre-configured. Of course, an experienced Arch user knows how to configure and maintain a bleeding-edge system in such a way as to keep it stable... I'm not quite there yet smile

Anyway, luckily Manjaro has excellent community support (the developers actively post on the forum and are extremely responsive), so that's where I go first if I have any problems that googling doesn't solve.

Last edited by davedrowsy (2012-11-02 16:37:31)

#2771 2012-11-03 04:30:24

everex

Hi all:
I'm Evie from Argentina. I like Arch for the stability and I installed in my desktop PC.

#2772 2012-11-03 04:45:14

Jristz

everex wrote:

Hi all:
I'm Evie from Argentina. I like Arch for the stability and I installed in my desktop PC.

Hola, bienvenido a la comunidad, me alegra ver a alguen mas que habla español...bueno que lo escribe, llete las reglas o mejor respetalas o te van a dar problemas las reglas

I see you later on the forum and have fun on the distro, bye

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#2773 2012-11-03 09:16:52

adirat

Hi all smile

Congrats for the documentation you have on the distro, it's awesome big_smile

#2774 2012-11-03 18:25:13

rogi555

Hello all, I'm Igor from Poland. Not quite new to arch, but I'd like to practice it a bit more than till now smile Cheers everyone!
PS You've got certainly the most... complex Captha I've ever seen ;D

#2775 2012-11-04 01:22:20

saphire

Hi all!
Running Arch for two years or so. Never had problems and therefore no reason to sign up so far! smile As an electrical engineer, working on Linux is the first choice for me!

Board footer