You are not logged in.

#2826 2012-11-17 10:24:25

siepet

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everybody. I am new to Arch and i have to say, none system never gave me so much fun installing it. Always it was click "Next" in GUI and here, everything was in text, oh god, i loved it. Had some problems, but still - fixing them is so much fun without clicking mouse everywhere! (am i weird?). I installed in on my laptop as just one system, without Windows and it's great. I was using previously Fedora for long time on my PC, and arch is much more faster. I really love it.

So hello again and thank you for making so great system.

#2827 2012-11-17 10:52:28

Dude-man

Thought I'd bloat this thread, and add my hello's

New to Arch, now moved from a VirtualBox install and running it as main machine, and very happy. Learning alot from the wiki, but need to follow a little the forums and meet a few folks to speed up my learning.

Enjoying very much e17 and all the uptodate apps, and actually getting hands dirty to setup and understand things better.

Hello Everyone.

Dude-man

#2828 2012-11-17 13:13:03

anarcho
Website

Hi all,

Just installed Arch 3 days ago, running Xfce4 on it, which works well for me. Mainly used Debian and based distro's in the past with Gnome, but not a big fan of 3. Also hoping to add it to my netbook at some point which is a Asus Eee PC 1215N once I have looked into it more.

#2829 2012-11-17 13:17:27

D4ve

deca wrote:

Hello all you incredibly sexy people.

Most people don't think that nerds are sexy (unfortunately) smile

#2830 2012-11-17 15:53:09

NlightNFotis
Website

I have been here for some time, but don't know how I missed this. So, hello archers smile

Google+ | Github

Hacking: Those who can...do. Those who can't...complain.

#2831 2012-11-17 18:24:11

ruimarto

D4ve wrote:
deca wrote:

Well....... My GF does... lol However, my reply to the security question was "error?" and then "-bash: sha256sum: command not found" (yeah, I'm a Mac user) so maybe I don't qualify as a nerd! lol

Going for my first Arch install ever, so be patient please! tongue

#2832 2012-11-18 07:35:16

deca

ruimarto wrote:
D4ve wrote:
deca wrote:

Well....... My GF does... lol However, my reply to the security question was "error?" and then "-bash: sha256sum: command not found" (yeah, I'm a Mac user) so maybe I don't qualify as a nerd! lol

Going for my first Arch install ever, so be patient please! tongue

D4ve:
whaaaaat.... I contest! These people seem to be quite happy expressing their love for your so-called 'nerds' : http://tinyurl.com/as8tfqp

ruimarto:
Good luck and have fun with your first arch install! See you around smile.

Hi there.

#2833 2012-11-18 08:34:35

buri

Hello Arch world smile
Finally, after ten approaches, I managed to install correctly. Archbang x86 configured after 3 days like my old Debian Sid x64. Why changed distro? => Steam.

Waht can I say more, great forum and wiki big_smile

#2834 2012-11-18 17:41:40

ruimarto

deca wrote:

Good luck and have fun with your first arch install! See you around smile.

It went surprisingly well! Specially since I could never install Ubuntu (and Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Voyager, etc) trough SSH, had to use my HTPC keyboard all the time, which is terrible.

#2835 2012-11-18 22:03:43

ytech
Website

So, Hello arch-world!
I am using this distro for just about a week. I had an awesome time installing since I had an old liveCD distro with glibc-2.14 and had to do some command-line kungfu to get it upgraded. Of course i used pacman -Sf glibc and of course I broke it several times and reinstalled several times.

Glad the archwiki gave instructions on that matter. Got it installed flawlessly after I figured out what was going on.
And about an hour ago I finished the migration to systemd.(almost, still have initscripts and sysvinit installed, but it boots to systemd and thats all I care about at this point)

I have to say I love it. The feeling of freedom one gets when you install that system is undescribable. <- (I am sure this is getting old but whatever.)

Glad to be here.

Don't do this -> /bin/bash shred -fun 42 `ls`
--------------------------------------
.:Blog:.:github:.:Livejournal:.:Pastebin:.

#2836 2012-11-20 07:06:06

browntown

Hi, wanted something lightweight for my aspireone netbok.  Tried Mint, Puppy, full ubuntu, and was immediately unloading all the bloated packages.  Then I found archbang, which has been my crash course in arch.  Steep learning curve for the newbie, but I believe in the elegance of simplicity.

After I work out all the kinks on the netbook, I'm looking to put full arch on my primary rig.  First things first...

#2837 2012-11-20 12:48:51

NlightNFotis
Website

wphred wrote:

Hello out there.
One question: Any thoughts or opinions on a good linux book for administrators? I'm old school and like books, even with all of the electronic media out there. I'll underline, write in the margins and make references to pages in my Moleskine, etc. It will be my security blanket until I outgrow it.

I personally recommend the Linux Command Line if you are a Linux Newbie, or don't feel comfortable with the command line yet, and Unix and Linux System Administration to augment your command line skills with knowledge regarding the administration of Arch Linux.

thisoldman wrote:

UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition), but I thought the book was overpriced, not as useful as its cost would have one imagine.

How is Unix and Linux System Administration too expensive? At 30 euros, or 25 pounds I personally believe it is a very fair price (if not cheap) for the knowledge it provides you with, unless of course, you are already familiar with system administration. But then again, if you are familiar with system administration, you wouldn't buy this book, as it is for starter. Or would you?

Google+ | Github

#2838 2012-11-20 12:52:46

NlightNFotis
Website

browntown wrote:

Hi, wanted something lightweight for my aspireone netbok.  Tried Mint, Puppy, full ubuntu, and was immediately unloading all the bloated packages.  Then I found archbang, which has been my crash course in arch.  Steep learning curve for the newbie, but I believe in the elegance of simplicity.

After I work out all the kinks on the netbook, I'm looking to put full arch on my primary rig.  First things first...

Hello browntown.

The one thing with arch that makes it epic on netbooks, is that it's not bloated (at least in the way that other distributions are), something which allows it to have a very small memory footprint and not require too much computational power to spend on bloatware running in the background.

Also, if you will decide to install it your main rig, you will not regret it smile

Last edited by NlightNFotis (2012-11-20 12:53:12)

Google+ | Github

#2839 2012-11-21 04:08:33

iKersh

Hello fellow 'Arch-ers' smile

"...you miss too much these days if you stop to think..." - 'Until The End Of The World' -- U2

#2840 2012-11-21 08:45:25

amity88

Hello guys, I finally decided to join the forums after running into a problem with my second Arch installation. I decided to check out Arch on my old laptop and it worked beautifully with a fluxbox WM so I decided to stay with the distro. Prior to this I've been using Gentoo for about 4 to 5 years or so, I absolutely loved it but unfortunately time shortages prompted me to shift to a distro that used binary packages for the most part and Arch was the closest thing to home big_smile

#2841 2012-11-21 10:56:22

omicrondelta

I've been a Linux user since late '96. Linux-based computers have been my systems of choice since I got my first PC that had an Intel chip, and now have it running on Intel, PPC, Coldfire, and ARM devices in my household. Throughout those 16 years I've used many distributions, but none have pleased me as much as Arch has. I've been using Arch and lurking these forums for just over a year now and finally today felt the need to come in and thank everyone behind putting together this distro.

Arch Linux best Linux.

Last edited by omicrondelta (2012-11-21 10:57:41)

#2842 2012-11-21 14:16:10

ewaller
Administrator

omicrondelta wrote:

I've been a Linux user since late '96. Linux-based computers have been my systems of choice since I got my first PC that had an Intel chip, and now have it running on Intel, PPC, Coldfire, and ARM devices in my household. Throughout those 16 years I've used many distributions, but none have pleased me as much as Arch has. I've been using Arch and lurking these forums for just over a year now and finally today felt the need to come in and thank everyone behind putting together this distro.

Arch Linux best Linux.

Merging with official hello thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2843 2012-11-21 21:57:44

Sammi79

Greetings from deepest darkest mid Wales!

I have never used Linux before, but after a few days with a new Raspberry Pi and Debian Wheezy I decided to give Arch Linux a whirl. I used to program Z80 assembly back in the day, had a thorough knowledge of DOS and the later windows environments, so I thought to myself, hey, I should be able to figure all this stuff out pretty quick! That was evidently a slight underestimation on my part.

Even so, I really really like it so far, probably not the best place to start out with Linux but being as the RPi is a relatively slow comp it seemed like a good idea to run with the lightweight zero bloat idea.

So I registered here to ask some questions to help me finish off my system (in the relevant forums of course, if I can help it at all!)

Regards,
Sam.

[Edit] Ahem... apparently I will not be posting here as the raspberry pi runs ALARM which is not supported here for good reason. Well at least I learned something.

Last edited by Sammi79 (2012-11-22 01:24:52)

#2844 2012-11-22 23:46:15

op0x179

Hello to everyone,

I came here because I like how you roll.

srsly, thx!

All the meat, he thought, and all it wants.

#2845 2012-11-24 14:30:10

Uncle Spellbinder
Website

Hello everyone! Though I've had more than a decade experience with Linux (mostly Debian and Fedora based distros), this is my first experience with an Arch-based system. I tried many times to install Arch to no avail. Being use to either graphical installers or simpler CLI installers has proven to be a detriment to my Linux experience. I suppose most of you pure Arch users would frown on my choice, but I've installed Cinnarch. I also tried Manjaro, but I prefer the feel of Cinnarch and it's "newness."

I've studied up on pacman and yaourt via several wikis and feel I'm getting a good handle on them. Perhaps Cinnarch can be a good learning experience for me and maybe a starting point to eventually get a true Arch system up and running one day.

Until then, Cinnarch will do for me.

One quick question: Will these forums be of help to me, considering I'm not running an actual Arch install but an Arch based system?

Thanks, all. Hope to be a regular contributor here. And a place I can seek help if/when needed. wink

Last edited by Uncle Spellbinder (2012-11-24 14:31:13)

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#2846 2012-11-24 22:13:56

ataraxia

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:

One quick question: Will these forums be of help to me, considering I'm not running an actual Arch install but an Arch based system?

You won't get support here unless you install "actual Arch". That said, this forum would certainly be up for helping you get past your installation trouble so you can make that happen.

#2847 2012-11-24 23:44:11

Uncle Spellbinder
Website

ataraxia wrote:
Uncle Spellbinder wrote:

You won't get support here unless you install "actual Arch". That said, this forum would certainly be up for helping you get past your installation trouble so you can make that happen.

Much Appreciated!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#2848 2012-11-25 12:19:30

dukeluke

hey all!
i'm new to arch and really enjoy all the options to customize everything!

#2849 2012-11-26 23:47:09

novembrine

Hello everyone! I swithed to Arch a couple of months ago after two years of using Ubuntu. It's my main OS on my laptop beside Win7 for gaming and an OpenBSD install. I have a big interest in security and doing sys admin stuff for a hobby, so Arch seemed like a great way to get closer to more pure UNIX without a culture shock.

I don't plan to post much, except for rare issues I cannot find the answer to or extremely interesting threads.

#2850 2012-11-27 04:15:36

illusionist

novembrine wrote:

I don't plan to post much, except for rare issues I cannot find the answer to or extremely interesting threads.

big_smile
So that means you wont help anyone here ?

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

Board footer