You are not logged in.

#2851 2012-11-27 05:13:40

caltac

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everybody, I'm 16 years old and have been a linux user for around three years now.
I had been using Ubuntu, and I found that I started trying to change Ubuntu more and more to fit my standards -- that's when I decided to install arch, because I knew that you could really make it your own OS, and install only the things you need.
I've been secretly stalking these forums for a while, while I was figuring out how to install arch on my macbook pro. Currently I have arch running on my macbook pro, an old macbook, and a custom system build I made this summer.
I recommend it to all of my buddies in the my school's programming club!

#2852 2012-11-27 07:38:22

neosix

Hello Arch world smile

$ArchLinux: ~ make love

#2853 2012-11-27 18:37:43

dk_moore

Just registered & undertaking an installation on a Thinkpad T500.  I've been a linux user for about 8 years, starting on newbie oriented distros, and using openSUSE for the most part in the last 3-4 years.  Never felt like I "learned" linux, and have had a hankering for trying Arch for a year or so, but never had the time to allocate until recently.  I hope not to occasionally contribute even though my skill set is hardly advanced.  If nothing else, I can help editing the already great wiki as I find typos or gaps in hardware info.

I've been RTFMs for the last week and hope the installation goes relatively smoothly.

Cheers,
Dave

#2854 2012-11-28 16:43:12

markobgd
Website

Hello world

#2855 2012-11-28 21:43:22

steady_drop

Heya everyone, what's up? I recently got into Arch and I haven't been this stoked on a new distro since I first tried Suse many years ago. I'm still a linux n00b but not being afraid of the command line makes pacman awesome! Cheers .

#2856 2012-11-30 09:51:41

gui

Hello from Raspberry Pi (pleasant :-) hell!!!

And congratulations for the distro...

#2857 2012-12-01 16:25:07

mpardalos

hello I'm michael and i'm 14 years old.
I started using linux about three months ago, with a red hat based distro, scientifiv linux. Basically the reason i choose arch was because i wanted to learn more about linux and i felt that that distro hided many things from me.

I know that that the mod said not to write things like this but i have to say it:

ARCH ROCKS!!!

#2858 2012-12-02 15:19:15

Lukan27

Hello world! Arch linux got my attention from it's philosophy, which suits me perfectly. Now I just need to dig deep...

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

#2859 2012-12-02 16:22:43

ewaller
Administrator

mpardalos wrote:

I know that that the mod said not to write things like this but i have to say it:

ARCH ROCKS!!!

hmm  Okay by me.  Welcome to Arch.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2860 2012-12-02 19:33:47

discipulus

Hello World.

I installed Mandrake as my first Linux distro in 2002. After that I moved to Ubuntu. After that I went without a computer for a number of years. When I decided to get back into the computer world I got a 2007 MacBook (this was 2010). I used that for 2 years and purchased a gently used 2011 MacBook Pro. After that I decided that I wanted a media server running at my house so I wasn't taking all the hard drive space on my laptop. I had the opportunity to purchase a single core Xeon HP Proliant ML350 with 5x 146gb SCSI 320 hard drives. I started by installing CentOS on it, and played with that for a while. Then I heard about Arch Linux. It sounded like it would fit my flavor of life. I installed it in Parallels on my Mac, with a few problems. After a few hours of playing around, I got them all worked out. Then I deleted it, and pondered on it for a while. I liked it. Then I started reading about installing Arch on a Raid 0 software raid. I decided to wipe the partition tables on my Proliant and give it a try. Now, here I am, with a Proliant ML350 with 5 RAID0 scsi drives, and an operational Arch server box. It's been a wonderful adventure to this point, but I have run into some problems with a specific software that I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out with, and that's why I'm registered here. And of course, as I see problems I can help address, I will.

#2861 2012-12-03 11:55:59

stefo

Hello boys and girls smile I'm Stefan and i recently joined as user to every possible archlinux page that requires registration. I'm glad that i got into archlinux, but im sad that i didn't do it earlier. I can cope with the second one since i have been on the dark side for longer then here (windows ofc.). I'm linux user for few years and i like that i get amazed every day as i'm learning new things and the tricks of trade that linux offers. I used ubuntu at beginning but after they lunched unity, especially the last update i started feeling bad because unity just sux too much, it is slow and stuff. So, i switched to lubuntu for a while because i was seeking for fast lightweight environment but similar to ubuntu because i got used to the commands and utilities. The last one i was running was xubuntu, and i gotta say this one was preaty good and stable till i got into arch. This is little story of my linux tour, and i hope ill stay long time with arch.

Thanks for this greate distro and community, i like that there is so detailed and rich wiki and people that can help around, laterz smile

#2862 2012-12-04 03:12:13

ardagnir
Website

Hey everybody. I moved over to arch because half the time I wanted to do something cool with linux or figure out how something worked, I ended up on the ArchWiki and so decided to try it out when I got my new laptop. It's been amazing so far.

Thanks for all the hardwork everybody's done. I hope that eventually I can contribute some cool stuff too.

#2863 2012-12-06 09:53:03

supatortoiseboy

Greetings arch users

I've used ubuntu for years at varsity and decided that it is time to start making a transition into the wonderful and exciting world of open source, and i thought arch would be the perfect distro, forcing me to learn and still giving me freedom to make my computer what i want it to be. I am making a dual boot with windows for now, have been playing with arch in virtual box for some time.

Thank you for being such an open and supportive community, to the mods thank you.
Arch rocks and so does the wiki (very comprehensive and helpful) and most importantly the community.

Peace

#2864 2012-12-06 13:11:58

blue sea & blue sail

I admire ArchLinux.I admire triumphal arch. And I love Zhaozhou stone arch bridge of China. Arch is very good.

Last edited by blue sea & blue sail (2012-12-06 13:21:03)

Acer TM B115-P5BB | intel video card |Seagate 500G 5400rpm AF 7.5mm | 2GB RAM | 2.5 GHz Pentium N3530 CPU

#2865 2012-12-07 01:30:45

khelar

I had been dual booting Vista and Ubuntu on my convertible-tablet laptop for the last 4 years or so, eventually got to the point where I was mostly using Ubuntu, and just booting into Vista for a few very specific programs (mostly OneNote).  Was beginning to get annoyed with the direction Ubuntu was taking after 11.04, but found ways around most of my issues.

Finally my hard drive crashed.  Something borked pretty bad, because neither Vista nor Ubuntu would boot.  After taking out the drive and putting it in an enclosure, I was thankfully able to recover all of my data (from my separate Data partition).  Probably if I now reformat the drive, it will be fine (I'm sure a bad sector just turned up in the wrong place at the wrong time), but given the drive's age I decided to get a replacement.

My plan was simple:  reinstall Vista using my recovery disk, and then add some new flavor of Linux to free me of my Ubuntu woes.  But it would not be so.  Sometime in those intervening for years, hard drive standards changed:  instead of 512 B sectors, they now had 4 kB sectors.  Vista is old enough that my recovery disk hadn't the slightest clue how to talk to the hard drive and actually install anything.

Naturally, this has to happen after the release of Windows 8, and I'm sure as hell not giving Microsoft any money for that thing, so it looks like I will run a pure Linux setup now.  The only question was:  which Linux?

Coming from Ubuntu, I tried Mint for about a week.  There are some things I really like about Cinnamon.  I didn't actually use Mate very much, although it will be interesting to see where that project goes in the future.  But I still felt stuck in Ubuntu's mindset.  And repositories.

I considered Debian, for some degree of familiarity.  But certain programs I need to use (especially Xournal 0.4.7) are vastly out-of-date in the Debian repos, unless I were willing to run Sid.  It seems Debian would be more suitable if I wanted an absolutely-stable server.

So I looked at Arch.  A little more complicated to deal with, but what the hell, I'll give it a shot, I thought.  Installation was easy and went much smoother than expected.  Setting up Xfce was easy.  Finding the latest versions of all the software I want is easy.  A few things have not been easy (for example, I can't seem to get Compiz to work with Xfce and GTK+ themes), but most things I've wanted to set up have been successful, and learning experiences at the same time.

The Arch Wiki is very informative and complete, it's answered most of my questions.  Previous forum posts have answered most of the rest.  It's been slightly challenging to build everything from the ground up, because I don't necessarily know everything I need (what, you want a volume indicator that responds to your keyboard? Go get packages foo, foo-indicator, and edit /etc/foo/foo.conf).  On the other hand, I have intimate knowledge of exactly what I've installed, and I don't have anything I don't want (like an IM status indicator attached to my logout button...wtf?).

tldr:  Arch rocks.

#2866 2012-12-09 15:46:51

WxC

Hi, after many months of lurking on the Forum and reading Wiki, I decided to create a account. Perhaps I could help someone a day because I've learned a lot with Archlinux.

#2867 2012-12-09 15:57:04

rpmTECH

Hey all,

I'm back to Arch after a long stint away playing with Bodhi, Ubuntu, & Fedora.  Finally figured out the new install system.  It was challenging, but I finally got a working GNOME 3 install!  Hope to be of help here and learn tons more!

#2868 2012-12-09 16:19:45

Maxt3r

Just wonna say hello from Denmark, use Arch on main machine and as VM on laptop

#2869 2012-12-10 06:38:56

DaisyCutter

Hello world!

I've been tinkering with Ubuntu and openSUSE for a few years now, recently decided it was time to step things up and dive into Arch. Hopefully I will eventually phase out Windows with it.
I probably won't post much in the near future as the documentation on the wiki seems more than adequate to feed my brain for quite some time, and I don't really know enough to be able to help anyone else yet.

I am loving what I am seeing so far though. Arch seems incredibly customizable compared to what I'm used to, and I love the philosophy of code correctness over convenience.
Switching to Arch is a lot for me to take in being relatively new, but I relish the challenge. The rewards are certainly worth it.

I'm 25 and live in Sydney, Australia. Hope to see you guys around!
- Paul.

#2870 2012-12-10 12:00:58

jeremyj11

Hi Everyone,

Just joined this forum because I had an annoying PHP problem: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=154418
.. which I've since managed to fix.
I'm a web developer making apps in PHP / MySql / Jquery while travelling around the world... I'm currently living in Estonia but am moving to Poland soon.

Anyway I've always wanted to run Linux in order to learn more about OSes (and crack wireless networks among other things) and have played with a few distros, but have had to go back to Windows for Skype screen sharing... which is now available in Skype for Linux finally smile So looks like I'll be permanently on Linux!

Hopefully I'll be able to help and be helped on this forum!

... just got wireless packet injection working on my Lenovo X200 big_smile

Jeremy

Last edited by jeremyj11 (2012-12-10 12:02:07)

#2871 2012-12-10 16:05:34

iamjerico

Hello all, Justin in New York City.  I'd been dual-booting OSX and Ubuntu (and, later, Mint) on a Macbook Pro for a while.  Then I wanted to move to  a rolling distribution so tried Debian, but didn't care for it as a distro, so I decided to give Arch a go - especially because the wiki and the forums are so thorough and well-populated. 

My dual boot install of Arch on my Macbook was relatively painless.  Then I decided I wanted a new laptop, and didn't want an Apple, so I picked up an Asus UX51 (just yesterday) and plan on dual-booting Arch with Win8).  I just started that little project last night - managed to wipe Windows off entirely (and remove the RAID0 array so I could use 1 drive for Arch and the other for Win8).  Arch is minimally installed, and tonight I need to deal with getting X running.  I'll give the Win8 install a crack later in the week (no rush on that part).  It'll probably take a few attempts to get this all sorted, but don't mind that for the sake of learning a bit.

Love the straight-forward, no BS frame of Arch.  It just makes sense, and I like learning about the machines I use.

Hope to contribute more around here as I learn!

#2872 2012-12-11 17:05:45

Herbb

Hello!

My name is Patrick and I'm using Linux almost since I had my first PC (~2005-2006), but my knowledge about it is still not enough good to solve even half of most common problems.
I started with first Mandriva (first RC version afair), then around 2008 I moved to XtremeOS (Mandriva-based), came back to Mandriva for 2008 release and after 2009 came out I switched to Archlinux.

I'm using ArchLinux on my PC, I'm using chrooted ArchLinux on Nokia N900, and today I have installed it on my *newest* device UMPC (Samsung Q1 Ultra).

I'm using this forum for some time, but I never had to post anything or reply.

I hope that soon I will have enough free time to contribute to the community with own repository, packages and maybe some scripts wink

P.S. Sorry for my English, I know that I made a ton of mistakes... sorry...

Patrick 'Herbb'

#2873 2012-12-11 19:49:44

vivekraj

Hi friends,

Just installed Arch Linux yesterday....and learnt a lot about linux and command line usage....one of the best linux experiences i ever had...

Cheers

Vivek Raj
New delhi, India

Cheers.....

Vivek Raj

#2874 2012-12-12 11:15:58

fivedigits

Hello everyone,

I have been using linux for a few years now. Having come all the way from Ubuntu -> Debian -> Fedora -> Gentoo, i am delighted by Arch's principles and ease of use! The configuration processess took me a while but my workstation is now running smoother than it ever did. I'm gonna try to contribute in spite of my limited technical skill.
Thank you!

#2875 2012-12-12 22:39:26

kunev

Hi! Using Arch for a week now and I'm loving it. I like to think I know a thing or two about linux, though I'm far from being ny kind of guru of anything. For the past little over two years I went through Ubuntu 10.10, Debian Wheezy, LMDE and Mint 13.
The past 6 months or so I used mint just for the ease of installing then got rid of most things I could and just ran a bare X server with awesome wm, using wicd for network management and doing as much as I could in a terminal session. I made a few not quite so successful attempts at installing Arch in a VM over the past months, but last week I decided it's time to man up big_smile
It was quite easier than I expected and really fun. I'm still amazed at how simple things are. I don't think I've had that much control over my machine at such a low complexity level so far, and I think this is awesome! smile

I came here to look for a gelp with a problem I'm having of course, but I hope I'll be able to help out someone along the way as well and contribute at least a little to helping someone enjoy Arch and have fun smile

Last edited by kunev (2012-12-12 22:40:23)

Board footer