You are not logged in.

#2901 2012-12-25 10:17:41

d1on1s
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hi all! greets from Kazakhstan smile

i've been a full-time Arch Linux desktop since 2008, when the first Arch mirror was created in our national local network...
my distros before Arch were: opensuse, gentoo, debian and ubuntu, but Arch is the most simpliest and friendly distro i used))
nowadays it's my recommended OS. thanks to all Arch developers! You're the best!

#2902 2012-12-25 19:59:11

TheTango

Hello all!
Have been trying many different distros, but finally decided to install a full arch. Still a lot to learn, but hopefully i'll get there. smile

#2903 2012-12-25 22:45:06

edeloa

Hey folks,

I've been using Arch for a while now, originally switched over from Ubuntu.  Been creeping the forums unregistered for a while now, but have recently had a bit of time to contribute back - so here I am wink

#2904 2012-12-26 01:26:46

MrDerby

All,

I'm a Newbie and still very wet behind the ears when it comes to the Linux community.   Trying to learn as much as I can so I decided to focus at Arch and lean away from the GUI hand rails big_smile

Using other distros  Ubuntu, Mint, PCBSD I think its really neat to have the chance to setup and configure every aspect of the system and understand the "why" behind it.

Thanks,

Joe

#2905 2012-12-26 01:51:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Welcome to the boards. Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#2906 2012-12-26 02:26:41

WonderWoofy

@MrDerby, I am curious what you thought of PC-BSD.  I am probably not interested in installing it, since using Arch has spoiled me.  But I want to know how you fared with hardware compatibility.  I have pored over the FreeBSD harware page, and have found that my machine is almost compatible (at least with the things I care about).  But last I checked my Intel Centrino 6235 has issues.  So if internets is broken, that is kind of a deal breaker.  But I am still curious how it was for you.

#2907 2012-12-26 18:08:08

d8b

Hello Archers! I'm totally new to Arch, but managed to install it and making it work properly under KVM ... I'm so happy smile For the moment I only wish to thank everybody for the wonderful support you are providing through the wiki and the forum, where I could find the clearest and cleanest answers and best-practise descriptions among all distros I have used wink I really like your project and your philosophy.

#2908 2012-12-27 09:39:52

jackie2feet

G'day,

I used Arch based distros in the past, but in the last couple of weeks I've moved from Windows 8 to Arch as my main OS. I try not to ask any questions I can answer myself with a bit of research, but sometimes questions need to be asked.

I hope you will be patient and I will repay it by helping others in the future.

Jackie.

#2909 2012-12-28 14:24:55

mariobros

Hello everyone, my name is Peter I'm 24 almost 25 in a month,

I've used it for years ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, Lubuntu, debian stable, testing, sid, I used also other distro like opensuse and version tumbleweed and 'just do not convince me much the project tumbleweed repo always having to use third-party called tumbleweed for virtualbox, vlc, etc. and I broke a bit.
Why I switched to bridge and arch? Because finally my laptop is able to detect my internal harddisk idle that he first noted on ubuntu and debian, then because I was sick of debian sid or testing as rolling did not satisfy me as much with new packages! : (I tried arch and then it was love at first sight with this beautiful distro, I also put bridge arch linux based and uses the official repo of arch linux and other linux repo branded as manjaro!. Strategic'm happy hour anchio as you are an archer raga!: mrgreen:
I hope to stay well in this beautiful, beautiful forum and maybe even have friends to know and talk to.

Linux archlinux 3.6.10-1-ARCH
Archittettura:x86_64

#2910 2012-12-29 02:17:04

viralgorithm

Greetings from San Francisco!

I've been using Arch for a while, thought I'd finally quit lurkering and register smile

Last edited by viralgorithm (2012-12-29 02:53:51)

#2911 2012-12-29 08:33:45

SteveHatcher

Steve Here,

Been recently converted to the Arch ways by my friend Jackie2Feet and have taken a great liking to it. Hope to see and help you all in the coming times.

Thanks

#2912 2012-12-31 09:19:15

renegat

Well, 'Hello' there @ All!

I'am another 'depessed hipster' (L)Ubuntu migrant who's intention is to build a stable, lightweight and energy saving desktop system -
without giving root-privileges to cannonical or its self-appointed malevolent dictator for life Mr. Shuttleworth.

My hardware consists mainly of Intel Atom based boards and nettops - my 'Foxconn Q-Box n-270' i.e. consumes about 10 watts only!
But it was my RasPi pointing me the way to Arch!
Also it took me four hours (!) to gather the right information about getting my Arch-RaspPi to mount anything ('udev-automount' - available ONLY for this particular ARM-Arch-Distro!) I felt kinda proud getting it working! Never had so much fun in computer-tinkering since... C64?

The challenge is to get the 'right' information: There is a hodgepodge of wikis, forums and much silly crap according to different versions of Arch. Even in the official wiki there are some hints showing the wrong direction. I've tried to correct some missing ',' in it but could not log in.
To limit searches in the Arch-Wiki to one per 30sec ist really really annoying! Not helpful in any way!
One side telly you have to install software 'X', next tells you, this is totally deprecated (oh, how I do hate this word!) an you must not install it an any circumstances because it conflicts with given software 'Y'. Newbie problems...

Since then I spend my hole time, changing OS on all my PCs (there are about five in permanent use).
Also tried Arch-Bang! but without huge amounts of patience and understanding you will not get very far. BUT: it rocks! And the design is awesome ;-)

Also in Arch-Linux is very much different from Ubuntu I'am slowly looking through systemd and udev - and I like how fast it is: Even on my 'deprecated' Hardware! Boots up on Jetway JC360F33W-B with Intel Atom N270 / GSE945 on 300xCF-Card in less than 10 sec to LXDE. Impressive!

I rely upon the legendary Linux stability and security concept  - is there really any need to install further 'security' software like virus scanner, a firewall or something like 'apparmor' or does this only decrease performance?
All internal networking happens behind a wlan-router with firewall & MAC-Filter (D-Link DI-525).

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me getting right here an would like to wish

A happy new year! to everyone

renegat

#2913 2012-12-31 12:40:40

j0n4t

Hello fellow archers, greetings from Brazil!
I using Arch on my tablet PC Acer Iconia W500 since some months ago and I planning to make an dual boot in my Ubuntu desktop.
Many thanks to the volunteers for the helpful information on the wiki, forums and other means! big_smile

#2914 2012-12-31 15:36:53

nomorewindows

renegat wrote:

Well, 'Hello' there @ All!

I'am another 'depressed hipster' (L)Ubuntu migrant who's intention is to build a stable, lightweight and energy saving desktop system -
without giving root-privileges to cannonical or its self-appointed malevolent dictator for life Mr. Shuttleworth.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me getting right here an would like to wish

A happy new year! to everyone

renegat

I've never heard of a benevolent dictator...it's a contradiction in terms.
Strange, Mr. Shuttleworth has been "spaced out" on the ISS.
Before you mentioned it, I wasn't even sure who ran Ubuntu/Canonical.
After I quit using Ubuntu I started hearing some disdain about Ubuntu/Canonical's later releases.
Reading further...it all makes perfect sense.
Welcome to Arch!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2915 2013-01-01 01:47:47

karol
Archivist

nomorewindows wrote:

I've never heard of a benevolent dictator...it's a contradiction in terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent … r_for_Life

#2916 2013-01-01 02:09:09

notyourbuddy

Oh hallo there.

Started with Kubuntu, hated Ubuntu (Unity), settled on Mint for the last 2-years. Decided it was about time to jump into the deep end of the pool so here I am. I brought swimmies with me!

(P.S. Only been a day so far, but Arch is a lot of fun)

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." - Charles Franklin Kettering

#2917 2013-01-01 18:59:48

henk

Hello everyone, and Happy Newyear.

Started with Linux in June 2012, trying different distros to see which one suited me best. Settled for Xubuntu, which I have installed on both mij pc's and laptop.
After that was finished I made a setup on one pc, adding CentOS, Bridge and ArchBang. Read alot during that time about Arch and installing Arch.
Finally downloaded the CD and went for it. And now after five attempts I managed to install Arch. Learned alot the last couple of days, and I'm very glad to be here.

#2918 2013-01-01 19:11:21

MatejLach
Website

henk wrote:

Hello everyone, and Happy Newyear.

Started with Linux in June 2012, trying different distros to see which one suited me best. Settled for Xubuntu, which I have installed on both mij pc's and laptop.
After that was finished I made a setup on one pc, adding CentOS, Bridge and ArchBang. Read alot during that time about Arch and installing Arch.
Finally downloaded the CD and went for it. And now after five attempts I managed to install Arch. Learned alot the last couple of days, and I'm very glad to be here.

Great determination, glad to see that.
Welcome.

#2919 2013-01-02 15:04:57

godie

Hello!
After searching the best linux distro ever, i have found it ! and with the best support too!.

Archlinux rules!

#2920 2013-01-02 16:52:08

Morn

renegat wrote:

I rely upon the legendary Linux stability and security concept  - is there really any need to install further 'security' software like virus scanner, a firewall or something like 'apparmor' or does this only decrease performance?

I don't think a firewall is necessary. Of course it's a good idea to run "nmap localhost" from time to time to find out which ports are open. But by default all ports are closed on a fresh Arch install.

Don't use the default password on the router (http://www.farisvoice.com/2012/12/02/e- … ck-router/)! And it probably doesn't hurt to install a hosts file to disable connections to malicious sites systemwide, not just in the browser (http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm).

Also, use the 64-bit version of Arch. The larger address space is supposed to help browsers randomize their memory layouts more effectively, making them more secure against hacking.

#2921 2013-01-04 06:53:32

DJTomH

Hello everyone. First of all, I'd like to say that the registration question was a real pain. But after some looking around i finally found the answer.
Anyways, I'm totally new to Arch Linux so you will be hearing alot from me in the "Newbie Corner". smile

#2922 2013-01-04 09:59:59

SanskritFritz
Website

DJTomH wrote:

Hello everyone. First of all, I'd like to say that the registration question was a real pain. But after some looking around i finally found the answer.
Anyways, I'm totally new to Arch Linux so you will be hearing alot from me in the "Newbie Corner". smile

Welcome to Arch. Please make sure you read the guidelines for posting, or else you will be offended quickly smile
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2013-01-04 10:00:47)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2923 2013-01-04 10:51:35

darky

Hello everyone, I've been trying out linux for a few years now, starting with ubuntu used it for some while, moved to debian (Couldnt install it.. ._.) then tried freeBSD and Linux Mint...

Started using Arch mid-late 2011 and been switching from Arch and Windows for the rest of the time, Now i'm running Linux with Windows in a vbox..

Just joined the forums (If you havent noticed tongue)

I'm not good with linux, but i like learning so i LOVE arch ;D

#2924 2013-01-04 12:53:56

fred_151
Website

Hello Everybody!

I'm fred_151, i tried my first linux distribution at secondary school and i fall in love with Linux. I have tried lots of distributions such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Suse, Opensuse, Debian (for 2 year), Puppy, DSL, Chakra, Slackware, Knoppix, Backtrack,Sabayon,Zenwalk and at last Arch! I think that is the best distribution, you can decide all settings of your OS, good wiki and support, but you need a minimum of computing knowledge and it is a positive things, all people would have to know how works the things which use. In my opinion the choice of a distribution it is a personal choice and it is like a journey, you start with simple distribution but when you dig deep in the knowledge you realize that you need more and you will try with an harder distribution till you find your Linux.

I have found my linux distribution and it is Arch Linux!

Thanks

Last edited by fred_151 (2013-01-04 13:22:00)

"No matter. No mind" (G.Berkeley)

#2925 2013-01-05 16:35:27

mhbich

HELLO !!!
I AM MHBICH!!!
and that is all from me!!!
cause 2925 people said everything ......... sad  mad mad mad

Last edited by mhbich (2013-01-05 16:36:13)

Board footer