You are not logged in.

#276 2008-11-19 00:21:27

midniteman9

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello all, Im Midniteman9. New Arch linux user. finally found the end to my distro hopping:D

#277 2008-11-20 20:13:23

PinkFloydYoshi

Evening all. Been using Arch for a while now after a friend pointed me in it's direction and a very successful first install. Having come from a Gentoo, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, rPath and DSL, I think I've found a distro which doesn't give me pet peeves and I can get on with the more advanced set ups without having to look up simplistic things.

Came in search of help, Google doesn't yield anything related and neither does the Wiki so I guess I'll swan off to the appropriate forum. smile

#278 2008-11-21 11:36:12

_matrix_

Just joined and thought I would say hello.

Been using Ubuntu for 2 years and it was recommended that I try Arch now that I am comfortable with Linux.

I have not installed it yet but will provide feedback when I do and start using it.

_Matrix_

#279 2008-11-21 20:36:42

xaiviax

Hi all, happy to have found this distro a couple months ago, the hopping has ceased.

#280 2008-11-23 15:21:28

luggi

hi everybody!
I'm luggi from Berlin, still in school and currently trying to learn linux with this allmost perfect distribution smile
I hope someday I can contribute something to the community!

#281 2008-11-25 13:28:40

kaola_linux

Hello everyone!!!!

Arch Linux of Philippines....Yeah!!!! And I'm proud of it!!!

If there are Filipino's out there go for Arch...Hope we could make a community here on our country soon...

I was a former ubuntu user well for a few months...hehe but didn't learned that much when it comes to Linux.  Trying arch made me learn by doing things manually with the help of the EVER BEST AND UNMATCHED WIKI OF ARCH LINUX AND COMMUNITY

MABUHAY TAYO LAHAT !!!

Last edited by kaola_linux (2008-11-25 13:30:50)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#282 2008-11-25 15:54:35

nuttygamergeek

Hi, everyone!

I've used Arch a couple of times before but been changing distro's quite a bit, converting slowly from windows and been trying a few distro's out.  I'm sticking with Arch now as it gives me a nice balance between binary packages and ports style source installs.

I might flirt with Crux on a laptop yikes.  Unfortunately I still need my Vista install for new games but gonna see what games I can get running under wine.  I must try a few native linux games too!

nuttygamergeek

Last edited by nuttygamergeek (2008-11-25 15:55:34)

#283 2008-11-26 10:30:48

tcoffeep

Hello!

I've been using Linux (mostly Debian/Ubuntu) for about a year now, and have recently moved onto running Arch Linux on my laptop. So far, so good.

Hoping to get into the community here, and get a grasp on both Linux and Arch.

BDKL

=============== Read An Essay ===============
   Distro : Funtoo Linux || Kernel : ckernel-2.6.30-gentoo-r5
Processor : Athlon 64 X2 4400+ || RAM : 2GB || HD : 300GB
========================================

#284 2008-11-27 06:15:44

alejometal

Hello everybody, i'm finally decided to sign up at forums, I don't post so much, but I read it often, I had five days of archlinux and counting, before that, use Ubuntu, and before Windows and before Debian, in recent days I try slax and mint, finally I'm getting in with this 'do it yourself' distro, is amazing the way to learn more and more, and get stuck in trouble and get the way again and so, and so...

I think this learning is so time consuming, but it's the way of learn, yaa, see you hahaha

I want to learn, want to experience.

#285 2008-11-28 01:22:40

jRRYo

Hello everyone!
Best distro. Best Wiki.
Thanks.
j.

#286 2008-11-28 06:37:15

hridi

Hello all,

I'm Hristo and I'm using linux for some years. I've tried Slack back in 1999 and since then used a little RedHat, Fedora, Ubunto, Zenwalk, Frugalware ... I've played with Arch Linux for 3-4 years, but never seriously. Always used Linux as a dummy user :-D

Now I want to learn a little more about Linux and BSD world, but I'm not determined to compile everything from scratch, so I'm returning back to Arch at work and may-be FreeBSD to play here at home (If I succeed to install it).

Very Good distro. Very good to Keep-it-Simple. Thanks for your work guys !

With Regards,
  Hridi

#287 2008-12-03 10:46:23

bcd87

Hi there smile

Been running Arch for a couple of days now, have about a week of experience using Ubuntu before that. I've tried linux way before that too but never really got anything working back then.

Anyway in my week of Ubuntu I figured that distro wasn't really going to learn me too much about Linux so I kinda 'jumped into the deep end' and installed Arch. And I must say I'm really enjoying it (after getting a bit used to pacman) smile

Last edited by bcd87 (2008-12-03 10:54:09)

#288 2008-12-04 06:56:41

Firebird347
Website

Hi,

I've been using arch for just over 6 months now and am thoroughly enjoying it.  It's nice finally getting to see the internals and not worry about things being improperly autoconfiged. 

I love the Wiki but fear that it is omnisicent.
We better watch out for it. wink

#289 2008-12-04 07:40:18

skoder

Hello!
Hello from former ubuntu user smile Arch is so fast!

#290 2008-12-05 23:14:13

absolutezero1287

Hello all, I'm new to arch. I initially switched to GNU/Linux because I would be plagued by errors, slow boot times, and many problems with Windows. (That's just my experience, I'm not bashing the OS). I found out about Ubuntu and then used it as a LiveCD. I later kept it as my main OS. Now I find Ubuntu to be a bit bloated and I'm ready to move on to something a bit more lightweight and DIY.

I researched Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware but decided to use Arch and I'm glad I did. I'm still configuring my keyboard and mouse to work with X but that's alright. I enjoy the learning process.

#291 2008-12-06 00:57:57

piete

Hi all! I'm a three-day-old Arch newbie.

My first linux install was Red Hat something in the beginning of 2000, at that time didn't even know how the bootloader worked, was just glad that it could dual boot my Win98. Didn't have any time to study linux either, so my next install was only in 2004. Of course having to use unix at the uni made me at least linux-literate.

In 2004 I bought a notebook with XP so I thought of having another look at linux world. I found out about "Ubuntu" that I hadn't heard anything back in 2000 (obviously), but now everybody was talking about it so I decided to give it a try. I don't remember if Ubuntu install had a proper partition management back then, anyway I resized my NTFS partition with a separate bootdisk (it was still considered risky back then). The installation went well and I even learned something about partitioning and bootloaders (GAG is still my favourite for multiboot, leaving Grub on linux partition's MBR).

After that I have tried (K/X)ubuntu, Fedora, Opensuse, Debian, Gentoo (couldn't install), LFS, and once again Ubuntu 8.04. LFS was quite interesting, although time-consuming, and I gave it a rest after I couldn't transfer the base system to another partition (this has been successful with Ubuntu, so it has taught me at least something). I have e 500GB external USB hd to use with my own and work laptops, so have some 5 partitions for different distributions.

I was being quite happy with Ubuntu Hardy, but then came October and a new version. I had already broken my (K)ubuntu installations a few times, once it was Xorg, and a couple of times a "rolling" dist-upgrade, but I still wanted to give the dist-upgrade a go. Unfortunately I didn't even get there, since the normal system upgrades rendered my system unbootable (for some strange reason menu.lst was deleted). If I were to stay Ubuntu user, I would probably try to look for help at their forums but just googling already told me that it had not been only my problem.

To be honest, two weeks ago I didn't even know what a "rolling release" was. But it was just what I started looking for after breaking the Ubuntu install the last time (at least I could repair it, in fact I had cloned it to another partition so I booted the original boot partition, edited the Grub commands and ran "update-grub"). Anyway, I wanted to have something that I wouldn't need to reinstall every now and then (it seems that dist-upgrade is no option for me). So I found Arch. Since Debian testing would have been a candidate, too, I had a look at both forums and really started to prefer Arch smile

I just managed to get the base install done and first I of course installed Nethack, which I now play for a change in text-mode smile I don't have much bandwidth (more at office) so bigger installs have to wait for a while. Anyway, I'm anyway really pleased getting even WLAN working from command line, so I already have learned some new things! I have to admit that now I will give a look to other rolling distros, like Gentoo (if I manage to install it, the Live CD would not cooperate with my HP NX7400 notebook), Sidux and LFS. But I'm quite sure Arch will be one of my permanent distros, and it will receive a partition even on the notebook HD.

It has been interesting to follow the opinion wars between different distros. Forgetting package management, isn't it still so that if you are willing to translate from source, it really does not matter which distro you have? Since with that knowledge level you can surely tweak the so-called bloated distributions

Nevertheless, I will be keeping at least one "universal" distro, since what I still like in Ubuntu is the other side of coin for having a longer boot time: when it is on my USB HD, I can use the same install with two different notebooks, and it works just the same, because it keeps all the drivers. So if you look at the different distributions, each have their good points and their place among users. And I really think an Ubuntu-like distribution is bringing a lot of new users to linux world. When their knowledge increases, they can look for a "less automatized" distribution like Arch. Like I did.

A side note: I won't give up on Windows unless somebody makes it possible to run Bruno Marcos's brilliant Star Wars freeware games on linux. Even Crossover could not run them. At least not with my tweaking skills. Hope somebody makes this possible, then it will be farewell to windows (at home).

#292 2008-12-09 12:03:54

AirOnSkin

Wow, quite a "Hello"-post piete. I hope you don't expect the same from me ;D ...

First things first: Hello everyone!

I'm working with linux for about 1.5 years now.  I started with Ubuntu, then went to Debian, then to Gentoo (where I still am) and now Arch. I have different approaches in what distro I use for what. For my business laptop I'll use Arch in the future, on my home system it'll probably be Ubuntu (but I'm really not sure yet - there's to much in it I don't need) and for my servers I use Debian.

I like Arch a lot, still I'm having some issues which I like to solve. That's why I'm joining this forum ... maybe I can help someone as well (after getting some experience).

Cheers

Air

#293 2008-12-10 00:19:43

grimrider

hi everyone.  been using linux religiously for about 2 years now, just started with Arch about a week ago.  supprised myself when i set it up w/o help.  guess i learned a few things w/o knowing it lol.

#294 2008-12-11 22:45:55

monovibe

Helly everyone. Just installed Arch on all my 3 machines (blender workstation, laptop and an old desktop). What a learning experience  tongue   with different hurdles to get over for different machines. But hey, i love this distro!!! Arch has the best wiki info and with some endurance and .....err time to spend i manage to get them all working. cheers  big_smile

#295 2008-12-11 22:52:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

Hi everyone! Welcome to Arch. I started to address you all individually, then I realized that you've come in numbers. Anyway, come on in.

#296 2008-12-12 07:23:25

odradek

Hello smile
I've been using Ubuntu 6.06 year and few months ago, and it worked very well. Then I installed 6.10, then 8.04, and finally, 8.10. On 8.10, my system was so slow, so I decided to change my Linux distro. I wanted to install Slackware, but I heard it's pain in the ***, and Arch looked like good alternative.
My goal is to learn core of Unix, networks, and master C programming... I hope that Arch will help me smile

#297 2008-12-12 08:27:42

DanWA
Website

Hello smile

I'm a recent Arch convert. Mainly for desktop reasons. Have always been a devoted debian user and continue to run it on my servers.

Have been a guest around here for a while and just love the flexibility/KISS.

P.S Ubuntu sucks.

[z0r] E6750 @ 3200mhz, GA-P35-DS3P, 4GB OCZ DDR2, GF 9800GT, 150GB Raptor, Windows7
[666] HP 6730B, P8600 @ 2400mhz, 4GB DDR2, Arch/Windows7
[fatty] E5500 @ 3000mhz, GA-P35-DS3L, 4GB OCZ @ 800mhz, XT1200, Dell Perc5/i, 2 x 320GB WD RAID0, 4 x 1TB WD RAID5, Server 2008
[shed] P4 3.4 @ 3600mhz, GA-P35-DS3R, 2GB OCZ DDR2, GF 8600GT, 150GB Raptop, Arch

#298 2008-12-12 13:35:53

germanomichel

Hello!

I've regularly been trying distros and most of them didn't last a day in my computer, except Fedora, which I've been using for 4 years. Now I found this Arch Linux and I am impressed, really impressed! It might not be as polished and complete out-of-the-box as fedora but it is way simpler and faster. It does not install a bunch o software I don't need.  The installation process is perfect: flexible enough and not too much time consuming (like gentoo etc..). I think I found a new everyday distro.

Germano

#299 2008-12-12 19:48:49

MrAllan

Hello!

I am very new to linux, I just started two weeks ago with Ubuntu. I didn't like it, so I downloaded Arch. So far all I can say is that I like Arch a lot, the Wiki's great and the community's really friendly.

Yay!

Allan

#300 2008-12-13 17:59:40

bigbrovar

hi guys am bobby am installing arch this very mo.  its been a truely learning experience i mean i have been using ubuntu for over a year and a half .. almost exclusively.. yet i have learnt more installing linux than i  ever did on ubuntu.. ubuntu is no doubt a great distro esp for those who just want to use linux.. but if u want to use and learn linux arch is the way to go. great wiki btw.

Board footer