You are not logged in.

#3201 2013-06-05 21:26:20

Marcher

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Greetings fellow Arch users, I come from the land of Ubuntu. I have been using mostly Xubuntu since 12.10 as I hated how slow and bloaty Unity made my machines feel. Same old story?? Anyway I look forward to learning more about Linux and Arch, see you around the forums!

#3202 2013-06-05 21:31:48

ewaller
Administrator

Marcher wrote:

Greetings fellow Arch users, I come from the land of Ubuntu. I have been using mostly Xubuntu since 12.10 as I hated how slow and bloaty Unity made my machines feel. Same old story?? Anyway I look forward to learning more about Linux and Arch, see you around the forums!

Welcome aboard.  You have arrived on the tail end of a storm.  Don't be dissuaded by the turbulence caused in the wake of the recent filesystem update.  I hope your installation went/goes smoothly.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3203 2013-06-06 02:11:25

Pacopag

In light of ewaller's comment about the recent filesystem update, if you want to save yourself some headaches be sure to join the arch-announce mailing list.  If you follow the (always clear and well thought out) instructions from the devs, you'll rarely run into the problems.

#3204 2013-06-06 04:22:41

nelson_mtkwan

Greeting to everyone, I am just another old fans of Ubuntu/Debian (well, I start my linux experience with ubuntu 6.06 LTS...... ) and now migrating to Arch linux now. I found that I really hate constantly re-installing the whole system and the increasing redundancy of Ubuntu. I have tried Gentoo before but I finally find that Arch shall be the better one since I really like the simplicity in the OS and the well-made documentation, of which making my Arch installation completely painless and very efficient (I finished my first installation and configuration of the whole system with LXDE and most of applications I need in just about 2.5 hours), while Gentoo spends me more than 3 days of my holiday to construct a working environment to me. My arch works very smoothly and efficiently in the past few weeks. I would say Arch Linux is very likely the destination of my linux road.

Vox populi, vox Dei

#3205 2013-06-06 05:28:52

whahn1983

Hello all from Houston, Texas.  I am coming from Ubuntu on my personal computer and I also manage a Redhat server at work.  I have been using Arch for a little over a week now.  The installation went super smooth thanks to the excellent Arch Wiki and I am now running Arch with XFCE.  Pacman and the AUR are great and I have found all the software I could ever need.  I am looking forward to working with the Arch community.

#3206 2013-06-06 06:00:43

BrendenD15

Hello, everybody! I'm also one of those people that started out with Ubuntu (11.10 if I'm right). The entire reason that I got it was to help give me a leg up in Google Code-In that year. However, I disliked Unity and found Ubuntu to be too difficult to configure to my needs. So I uninstalled it shortly after Code-In was finished. I did enjoy how easy the package manager was to use, though.

I didn't try Linux again until late last year, a few months before Code-In started again. That time, I did some research and decided upon Linux Mint 14. Mint 14's Cinnamon interface was great to use and being able to use Ubuntu's repositories was a huge bonus. I enjoyed Mint so much that I logged at least double the time than I did in Windows and even considered deleting Windows, but that handful of apps-my games and iTunes-have, and will continue to keep me from completely switching into the foreseeable future.

But, I got restless. I decided that Windows was too boring and Mint wasn't teaching me much about Linux. So I decided to get Arch. I considered a triple-boot option between Windows 8, Mint, and Arch, but my hard drive has a miserly limit on partitions and I would be two short for Arch. Seeing this, my only other option was a virtual machine. And so, after much trial and error, I have managed to create an Arch Install that is perfect for my needs and gets incredible performance(especially for being in a virtual machine on a 4-year-old laptop).

Through this whole process I almost gave up on using Linux, but I've found the set-up that works best for me. In the future, I plan on using Arch for several projects that I have in mind, and to also help give my Mom's old desktop a new lease on life. But for now I'm happy, and trying to figure out all of VirtualBox's quirks. wink

P.S. All of my specs should be in my signature.

HP Pavilion dv7-1448dx
Processor: Dual-core Turion X2 2.2Ghz Graphics: ATI Radeon 3200 HD w/ 256MB RAM Memory: 6GB Storage: 320GB WD Scorpio Blue SATA II
My Arch Install is: in a virtual machine with KDE running on Windows
My Other OSes: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and Linux Mint 14 64-bit

#3207 2013-06-06 08:36:22

GreenTuxer
Website

Greetings from Lisbon, Portugal!

I'm an Open Source Developer and SysAdmin for some years now. I'm a Red Hat Certified Engineer, but I'm not stuck to one GNU/Linux distribution, not on servers, not on desktops.
I've been using GNU/Linux since 1998, when I first met Red Hat 5.1. I've been using many GNU/Linux Distributions since those times. The ones I really liked and used more were openSUSE, Fedora, Slackware and Ubuntu (this is the one I've been using in the last years, as I'm not getting younger and free spare time is not something I usually have).
I made a few installations and tests with Arch Linux in the past, but it didn't stick as I didn't have the time to test it more, but as I have a fascination for Slackware, Arch Linux is also on my fascination list...

In the last few weeks I've been watching Linux Action Show (jupiterbroadcasting) and watching those Ubuntu guys installing and using Arch Linux, made that little insect inside of me starting to tickle me again (I hope this is at least understandable English to you).
So I started to install Arch Linux VMs and I have to admit, some issues are really frustrating (like locale/keyboard issues, specially in X, as I choose Portuguese keyboard and the keyboard there is everything but Portuguese and I can't find what's causing that...), but globally I really like having a system designed specially for my needs.
I like bleeding edge software, but not with sacrificing system quality or performance, so I don't mind waiting a few days for anything. I prefer a balance between speed, stability and bleeding edge.

I'm still fighting to learn those little things in Arch in VMs, like the keyboard issue I said earlier, which I want to get solved in a few days at most (my spare time is really short...).

Right now I just have my work company laptop (HP ProBook 6460b, 14'' 1600x900, i5 2520M, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD with Intel HD 3000), but I hope to get a really good Clevo 15.6'' FHD laptop for me in a few months at most.

I look forward to learning more about Arch Linux and share experience and knowledge with this community.
Cheers.

#3208 2013-06-06 15:21:28

gotjazz

Hi everyone - just dropping in real quick to say hello.

Been using linux in general for something like 4 years now but the night before last I did my first arch install. I knew I wouldn't actually use it much in a vm so I thought what the hey - let's operate on the real patient for practice and so a partition was shoveled free on my main machine.

And what can I say - I love it. My xfce and gnome desktops already look and work better than on Opensuse on my main partition and Ubuntu ppas don't hold a candle to the aur.

Should've installed on mmy ssd right away but I had no idea it'd be that quick and painless - well - maybe I'll move house. I have set up most of what I need already anyway smile
The Wiki (and the android app for it since I don't have a second computer atm) is awesome and I think I already learned a lot about linux.

First I thought "oh what a pain - I really have to set up locales and networks manualy *whine* *whine* *whine*" but it was a lot less work than I'd imagined. Had a little sound hickup but that's handled now too smile

Guess when I have more free time I'll do another install since I did take some shortcuts. (installing grub2 on my root partition since I wanted to keep my opensuse grub, which is configured to chainload whichever bootloader is on my distrohopping partition on sda - didn't think I'd  consider switching over for good. Also I was a lot less careful with pacaur and some package signing problems from the main repos than I'd be on my main install)
Also I want to keep it some time just to play around before making the switch - seeing how easy/hard it is for me to break it after some real updates plus familiarising myself a bit more with stuff other partitions handled for me up to this point (I was semi-aware of some of the stuff but come on - on opensuse you point and click to enable services without ever having heard what an init-system is...)

Anyway - feels good to be here smile

#3209 2013-06-06 15:36:16

BrendenD15

GreenTuxer, if you haven't already, you should try installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions (if you're using VirtualBox). The Arch Wiki has detailed instructions on how to do this the right way here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions

and also check here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e_language

for changing the language and keyboard layout.

Hopefully, this will help you with your keyboard problems and also allow you better integration between your host OS and Arch.

HP Pavilion dv7-1448dx
Processor: Dual-core Turion X2 2.2Ghz Graphics: ATI Radeon 3200 HD w/ 256MB RAM Memory: 6GB Storage: 320GB WD Scorpio Blue SATA II
My Arch Install is: in a virtual machine with KDE running on Windows
My Other OSes: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and Linux Mint 14 64-bit

#3210 2013-06-06 17:11:15

sitquietly

Light_Yagami wrote:

Hello, I have been using Arch for two months and discovered this is the most coherent distro I have ever used. ... in ten minutes I got Arch as a Gentoo, the difference is little in performance ... if you can be patient install Gentoo, dont forget yoga and/or meditation in the process.

I'm a student that the next year will attend University, I think the world is rotten and it could be better.

You have discovered a wonderful secret, pacman is amazingly fast!  I multi-boot Archlinux and Gentoo (actually Funtoo) and love them both for different reasons.  I can only build a light system in Gentoo because it makes it very easy to choose what dependencies to allow.  For example, in my Gentoo system I have complete Gnome 3 and KDE 4 desktops (along with the workhorse xmonad/rox-filer).  I have the same desktop environments in Arch, but in Arch I have to accept mariadb (mysql) and nepomuk in KDE, and scores of other dependencies that I easily keep out of my Gentoo system.  In Gentoo I put USE="-mysql -semantic-desktop" in make.conf and it automatically gives me a KDE that is free of the semantic-desktop libraries and daemons.  It is much easier to use KDE apps like k3b and okular within my Gnome desktop when they are built without the unnecessary semantic-desktop functions.  They behave more like "normal" apps that just do what they do.

But as you say, Gentoo requires more patience.

There is so much room on most system drives these days I would not go to university with only one operating system on my computer.  If you set it up to multi-boot you will always be able to jump into whichever is proving to support you best at the moment.   My choices would be Archlinux, Funtoo, and Sabayon -- all rolling-release.

Many people in the world are becoming a new, better people.  Good stuff is happening.  Good luck. big_smile

--
Sit quietly, doing nothing, spring comes and flowers grow all by themselves.

#3211 2013-06-07 11:27:00

GreenTuxer
Website

BrendenD15 wrote:

GreenTuxer, if you haven't already, you should try installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions (if you're using VirtualBox). The Arch Wiki has detailed instructions on how to do this the right way here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions

and also check here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e_language

for changing the language and keyboard layout.

Hopefully, this will help you with your keyboard problems and also allow you better integration between your host OS and Arch.

Thank you for your help, I already had done that. The issue was just stupid. It was the encoding option in XFCE console, as the X programs had the Keyboard correctly, just the console showed '?' instead of 'ç', and some other Portuguese specific characters that were shown as '?'. Now everything is correct and I have a super fast XFCE VM working with Arch Linux. There are some issues, as I can't install plank dock from AUR (some errors occur which I still haven't got the time to try to solve, but I'll do it whenever I can. Thanks again smile

EDIT:
By the way, I would like to see something enlightened by the more experienced Arch fellows.

I have some things that I don't understand about how Arch Linux works, related to the Arch Way/Philosophy on updated software:

- I like my main software (browser, mail client, spotify, skype, sublime text, Flash Plugin, stuff like that) fully updated. I'm one of those guys who run the update command at least once or twice a day - is it a good thing in Arch or bad?

- What's the philosophy around updating the least important software (for the user, not for the system core), like compilers, libs, security fixes, etc? How does Arch tend to think in order to avoid conflicts? Does Arch updates everything just like the main software for the user, keeping it fully bleeding edge? Are those libs/compilers/etc updated just when needed?

- I know that not everyone likes AUR, but the truth is that many important and usually used software is there. I'm sure you understand that not having software is a big detail for people to change to another Linux distro. Does Arch prefer to advise AUR to not exist entirely, or is it better just to support the more voted (or some other way of select the software with more quality/importance)? What do you think about that?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by GreenTuxer (2013-06-07 18:20:54)

#3212 2013-06-07 19:35:15

Ameyuri Ringo

hey guys, my name is karim from algeria ,23 years old, been using Mint 15 then i found out about archlinux so i decided to give it a try
installation process is quite simple and fast, ofc i faced some problemes cuz i'm a newbie big_smile but after i installled it then installed kde on it, wow, i mean its the best kde experience i even had in a distro, so fast and satble, you guys did an amazing job,thanks to everyone who contribuated to archlinux <3

#3213 2013-06-08 04:51:55

quanta

Hello Everyone!

#3214 2013-06-08 10:46:02

arcon

Hey guys smile
I think it's weird that i didn't post in hello everyone section.
So i am here, hello everyone smile
I joined this community because i don't know where to look for learning about linux and other programming stuff(apart from google) so i choose arch
and arch community to be guide.
Actually i didn't know much about linux though i know little Ubuntu and to know more about linux i with arch now.
I can code in C.
Thanks everyone for having me. smile

The short cuts are only short because they don't actually go anywhere. -- Trilby
Nothing feels better than being understood -- awayand
A pathetic dreamer smile

#3215 2013-06-08 17:09:11

mahesmohan

Hi I am Mahesh.

Planning to launch a new company smile
I have been reading the forum a lot as I have been arch for a long time on my lap. Luvd it smile
Now I'm setting up arch on my pc and guess what, gazzillion problems popped up. Will bw using you guys's help a lot.
TIA

#3216 2013-06-08 17:16:41

yaise

Hi there !

I updated my x220 with some RAM and an SSD a while back and stumbled upon the archwiki while trying to fix an issue on my Ubuntu installation. Didn't take much more than the Arch way to convince me smile
I must congratulate and thank the community for the excellent wiki. I never had to post a question to get anything sorted out !

Time to start participating...hopefully!

#3217 2013-06-10 16:01:27

ares81

hello to everyone! I'm from italy! I am a new user and I find that arch is the best distribution ever! big_smile

#3218 2013-06-10 20:48:57

life_enjoyer

I have been using linux for a year now, hopping between different distributions. I was always scared that Arch would be too difficult to use, but the documentation is VERY good the wiki really helped with the install) and this has helped me out a lot. I have run into issues i couldn't solve in other distributions which caused me to switch around reinstall etc. But so far (since the beginning of 2013) i havent needed to remove arch, even despite amd's lack of x1.14 support... I even helped my friend install ubuntu (he wanted it) and I found that I had a lot more knowledge than before i used arch... Thanks for a great OS!

Last edited by life_enjoyer (2013-06-10 20:51:36)

A R C H
R
C
H

#3219 2013-06-11 06:58:50

frig

Good Morning,
actually my first post would have been an issue with autmuting on a VT1802 codec but fortunately i've found a mailing-list entry which was around my problem (no sound from headphones after kernel-update) which said something about patching the issue in kernel >3.9.10 thus i only have to wait until the kernel is released officially to have the comfort back.

So to actually post a 'Hello'.

I've been using Linux since 2009, more or less to cure some bad habbits on windows-machines and to actually learn what or whatnot a computer realy does (windows on a normal userbase is realy good at hiding that from me somehow) and because it looked cool on most occasions. I used Linux intermittend since 2003 (the time i bought my first OWN computer) but never could get a hold of it, especially not with ubuntu, which is until now a distribution which does everything IT wants.
After around 6 months of openSUSE and a died out laptop i switched to FreeBSD (more or less because i read a ton of articles at how much 'better' it was/is and because i loved the fact to 'learn' something about compiling), used FreeBSD for around 3.5 years on my desktop-machine and my wife's netbook. After i bought myself a new laptop i got problems with FreeBSD, problems in a way that the infamous NVIDIA-Optimus technology wasn't realy working at that time, so i switched back to linux because i'd read that IT actually supported the 'feature'. Now using Archlinux for around 8 months, installing it on my wife's new netbook, on some other notebooks as well (yesterday my mother's new one got equipped with it and she said (using win7/windows at all the years before, and my brother let her think linux is something evil which probably no one except the text-reading would understand) "Oh, i thought it would be way harder to learn, but it realy is just about the looks").
To release you from my text i conclude: I've only tried linux in first place because of the looks and i do now use a i3 setup with mainly cli-applications sacrificing(!?) eye-candy for speed and responsiveness, i've tried Ubuntu,openSUSE and some other distributions on occasion but the one and only love is and will be arch, because it is amazingly easy, it is amazingly on the edge (if i lookup uname i always think i'm in the future), it does what i want, i can run wifi with only wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant.conf, it does not stop on 'tradition' and the documentation is so great, that (even if it isn't uniform or unified) even a idiot like me can install and use linux in a way that others think you're "hacking yourself into the webcam of BND-workers" even if you only want to start mplayer on the hdmi output incl. sound.

I want to thank the whole community  for delivering such an amazing distribution and delivering me with joy and fun on a daily basis.

with kind regards,

frig

#3220 2013-06-11 13:52:45

antiloquax
Website

I have been a member of this forum for a little while, but I have not done a "hello".
I had been a Puppy Linux user for a few years until the launch of the Raspberry Pi. At that point I started using the ArchARM release and liked it so much that I installed it on my desktop machine and previous laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8200, Pentium II, 256Mb RAM).

I've just bought a new laptop (see the signature) and I am happily running Arch on it.
So, that's me!
mark

System: hp pavilion g6 amd E2-1800. 6GB RAM. 60 GB SSHD. Arch x86-64. EvilWM.

#3221 2013-06-13 08:52:12

simplemind

hello everyone. I previously used ubuntu for a long time and opensuse for sometime after watching the LAS arch challenge i was intriguied and put up an arch on my PC it has been sweet .
i like the total control over my pc which arch gives me also i like the arch way.

Last edited by simplemind (2013-06-13 08:55:11)

#3222 2013-06-13 11:04:20

Psykorgasm

Hello everybody, not new just back (3 days ago) after a year or so.
I realized about 6 months ago how much I miss the Arch devs positive attitude to new things and how well they deliver them to us, saying that I am also hoping to have my first "Allan broke it" experience of 2013.
So, big hello and thanks to all in the community cool!

Last edited by Psykorgasm (2013-06-13 12:14:48)

#3223 2013-06-14 03:52:59

MickeyRat

I think I need to provide a little history.  I'm a database administrator.  I work in Linux every day.  However, it's mostly command line and I don't have root access.  At home. I started trying Linux (Mandrake mostly) starting in 2001.  Back then you had to do things like put in timing lines for your monitor.  Dependency hell always drove me away until I tried Ubuntu in 2007.  I stuck with Ubuntu untill Unity (Are you fucking kidding???).  That tore it with me and Ubuntu.  Then I went to Mint.  That was pretty good but. I got tired of reinstalling every 6 months to stay current.  So, I wanted a rolling distro.  LMDE looked like it might fit.  I tried it briefly but, it's not really rolling.  They call it semi-rolling.  Not really what I wanted.  Besides LMDE has a kind of clunky feel.  I decided I wanted a real departure so I tried  Manjaro with XFCE and that was cool!!!  Of course, that made me curious about it's parent.  So, within the space of three weeks I've gone from Mint to LMDE to Manjaro to Arch proper.  I look forward to making your acquaintance and learning more about this OS.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

#3224 2013-06-14 13:23:12

drcouzelis
Website

MickeyRat wrote:

Back then you had to do things like put in timing lines for your monitor.

Those are bad bad memories for me. yikes

Just for fun, I recently installed Slackware 8.1 in VirtualBox to relive the nostalgia of one of my first Linux distributions. And, you know, it was fun. ...until I tried to get X to start, and I remembered that I needed to add all the information about my monitor manually.

I decided I'd had enough nostalgia at that time. smile

#3225 2013-06-15 01:39:44

MickeyRat

drcouzelis wrote:
MickeyRat wrote:

Back then you had to do things like put in timing lines for your monitor.

Those are bad bad memories for me. yikes

Just for fun, I recently installed Slackware 8.1 in VirtualBox to relive the nostalgia of one of my first Linux distributions. And, you know, it was fun. ...until I tried to get X to start, and I remembered that I needed to add all the information about my monitor manually.

I decided I'd had enough nostalgia at that time. smile

I don't blame you.  The timing lines were a PITA.  I did eventually find a program that would allow you to tune it and would spit our the lines.  That made it a little easier but, it still wasn't pretty.   However, it was dependencies that were the deal killer for me.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

Board footer