You are not logged in.

#301 2008-12-13 18:06:24

whordijk
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello!

I've been using Arch for about a week now: I've been using Linux for almost a year; starting out with Ubuntu, followed by Debian. Thanks to the Wiki, the installation process went smooth and was very instructive.

Wouter

#302 2008-12-14 15:18:49

patrickaupperle

I have now been a linux user for about 2 years. I started with Ubuntu. Really easy to install and get going. After that I moved to debian, a littly more advanced. Now finally I have succesfully installed arch linux. After 2 failed half-attempts. I love pacman. Now if only I could have gotten gentoo or a bsd to install. I would have tried most major distros. I have tried many in virtualbox. Anyway, arch is the best so far. Pacman FTW!

#303 2008-12-17 17:53:35

stefanwilkens

ola!

I've started out back when suse was still gui-less and compiling was near obligatory, after a long time of freeloading on version releases I've decided to go back into the more time consuming systems for some fun, looking forward to a long lasting arch experience.

Dutch myself, I've started updating some dutch articles on the wiki. Working on the translation of the beginner's guide into dutch now!

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#304 2008-12-17 23:54:53

AaronJ

hey everyone.

As for posting, I think 1 good post is better than 200 moderate posts. So, I will probably not comment much.

#305 2008-12-18 13:47:35

defrysk
Website

Hi, installed Arch a week ago, after using several distros (also geeky ones), linuxuser since 2001. I think Arch is one of the most boring distro's I ever tried, its fast, solid and easy to maintain, as a distro should be. Maybe Arch is going to stay on my laptop; its ahead of any other distro, by being cutting edge and stable all the time.

#306 2008-12-18 18:42:47

der_joachim
Website

Hi there,

Former Ubuntu user here. When I started using Linux back in 1997 (I feel old), I started with redhat 5.1 . I used SuSE, Slackware, Mandrake (we hates it, preciousss...), Gentoo, Debian and a few I forgot. Anyhoo, back in 2005 I tried Ubuntu and I instantly loved it. However, it has turned from a fresh and snappy distro to something fat and bloated, as if it has been in the water for too long. Something that kept me there though, was its community.
Last weekend I installed arch on my EEEPC and the only thing I had a bit of trouble with, was configuring WiFi. Even Netbook Remix worked instantly. The wiki and forums are great and a big thank you to all. smile

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#307 2008-12-18 18:57:36

nick.stumpos

hey all, been an active linux user for a couple years now, used arch off and on for a while, but never posted in the forums till now, but hopefully will start to do so in the future

#308 2008-12-21 01:25:04

Rokurosv

Hello I've recently installed Arch and I've gotta say it's an amazing experience, the installation taught me a lot of stuff that normally distros do for you when configuring stuff and I love the fact that is a DIY distro so I only end up with what I choose.
I think I've finally found home with Arch big_smile.

Anyways hope to see you around the forums

#309 2008-12-21 02:10:34

merdenoms
Website

Hello guys..i'm also new in forums..great to have a brilliant distro on my laptop. I've printed some stickers written "Powered by: Arch Linux" for my laptop. An excellent distro it is. See you around.

#310 2008-12-21 05:44:43

arch_nemesis

Hi All.

I'll try to keep this shorter than is my habit! smile

Linux first kicked my ass in 1999.  I gave it another go every few months to year after that, trying various distros along the way, but getting very little experience, mostly due to lacking the time to get things up and going.

In early 2007 I settled down with PCLOS for a few months, and weaned myself off of Windows as quickly as I could handle it.  I found myself using Ubuntu 7.10 by about this time last year, then 8.04.  On the day 8.10 was released I hopped to openSUSE.  Since then I'm amazed at the number of distros I've tried.  I've hopped so many times in the past couple of months that it's hard for me to remember them all.  There were things to like about all of them, but none felt like quite what I was looking for.  I'd still strongly recommend that anyone on a similar journey check out openSUSE, sidux, and Sabayon linux as three that are definitely offering something a little bit different than everyone else.

Arch was an "oh yeah, I knew there was one I forgot" moment on my way to heading back to Ubuntu, just because I thought I'd burned myself out on setting things up and fixing things.

2 days of off and on tinkering later, and I'm more or less done setting things up.  About the only thing I have left that I'm hot to get done is compiz, and at some point I'll worry about my Palm TX.

I think this is going to be my home for a good while unless there are some bad surprises in store.  Arch might be stretching my level of experience a bit (which is a good thing, if intimidating at times), but I'm stunned at how fabulous the documentation is.  Plus,  I'm actually **not** "fixing" things.  So far, I haven't had to fix a SINGLE thing, which amazes me.  Yeah, I'm setting things up from scratch, but not a single thing has deviated from the wiki or forum posts in its function or setup.  Every last detail has worked like it's supposed to, and the docs have made it plain how to get to that point.  Amazing!  I'm seriously wondering when the other shoe is going to drop!

A bit of forum lurking has me convinced that youv'e got a great community going here, and I really hope I can be a part of it for a long time to come.  I'm having a hard time imagining why I'd go to any other distro -- how could what someone else put together be better than a regularly updated rolling release containing only those components I want?

So anyway, hi all!  And my thanks to those who have already helped me out!

-- Joe

#311 2008-12-22 11:47:05

stabele

Hi there! I am using Linux less than year (well, I was using Red Hat 5.1/5.2 long ago, but mostly forgotten). Till now I was using Debian (and thanks for that wonderful distro!), but for desktop I am now switching to Arch, reasons are mentioned here about thousand times, so no need to repeat them all. But all of them would not be enough without great Arch community - so thank you all:)

Last edited by stabele (2008-12-22 12:32:57)

#312 2008-12-22 15:08:15

toad
Website

Hi,

I've been in RPM hell, deb heaven but release hell and am still looking for that perfect distro.

So far I have only installed arch on virtualbox and X is not running yet (am a little lost without dpkg smile). Am looking forward to a new set of challenges and getting into the guts of the beast.

Ta!

toad

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#313 2008-12-22 22:10:58

nTia89
Banned

hi to everyone

i'm a new arch italian user

bye

+pc: custom | AMD Opteron 175 | nForce4 Ultra | 2GB ram DDR400 | nVidia 9800GT 1GB | ArchLinux x86_64 w/ openbox
+laptop: Apple | MacBook (2,1) | 2GB ram | Mac OS X 10.4 -> DIED
+ultrabook: Dell | XPS 13 (9343) | 8GB ram | 256GB ssd | FullHD display | Windows 8.1 64bit ArchLinux x86_64 w/ Gnome

#314 2008-12-26 21:07:42

numique
Website

Hi everyone!

My name is Michael and I'm 20. A couple of weeks ago, after several months of experience with Ubuntu, I started my adventure with Arch Linux.
Till now I had a lot of fun with this system and I hope it will stay so or even get better. I also hope to have a lot of fun here, with you guys, with the Arch Community.

Greetings
numique

#315 2008-12-26 23:13:48

viga

I am also new to Arch.  After Suse  and a few other distros.  Arch is the One I am enjoying the most.  Pacman is just great.  I just finished configuring my acer extensa 4420 which I bought for $328 at Best Buy.  I finally configure my broadcom wireless card and it flies.

Cheers!

#316 2008-12-27 12:17:08

punkmikey

Hello from me as well. Been using Arch for just over 6 months now and I have no intention of leaving.

#317 2008-12-27 12:31:29

sirius

Hello everybody!

I'm Sirius, 21, from Norway. I'm an OS freak, started with DOS on my 80286 from 1990 (yes, I was three years old then) - it still works.
I converted to Linux in 2000, Red Hat 6.2 Zoot, been using Red Hat and then Fedora, changed to Debian, then to Slackware, then Gentoo for two years, then a bit (K)Ubuntu and now Arch. I loved Gentoo, but I found it a bit weird to wait 40 minutes compiling some app to show a friend, but now that I found Arch I've found the perfect distro - binary and source ftw!

Keep up the good work!

#318 2009-01-01 22:46:59

mooreted

Just wanted to say, "Hello Arch-type people". Happy New Year.

I started using Linux about the same time Windows XP hit the shelves; funny coicidence wink Someone sent me a bunch of Linux CD's after venting my frustration in a Windows forum. I started with Red Hat 6. Since then I've used Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, openSuse, DSL, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Knoppix.

So far I am very impressed. The install was easy and it didn't install anything I don't want installed. I get to pick what I want instead of installing hundreds of packages I'll never use.

Hardware detection was perfect, didn't have to configure anything. Second Life runs screaming fast. Even the Nvidia driver was a breeze.

Arch is very snappy on my system:

AMD Phenom 9500+
3GB RAM
2GHz FSB
10000 RPM Raptor Drive
Nvidia 8800GT

openSuse was slow and Debian could not deal with my SATA DVD drive. Arch seems to like my hardware.

Thanks for the great distro. I think I'm going to like it here. smile

#319 2009-01-04 05:25:13

elsaturnino

Hi everyone. This is my first day using arch linux. I've been a long time (3+ year) ubuntu user but I got frustrated with the periodic releases and the random wonkiness that often happens after a release upgrade so I thought I would look for another distro. There is a vocal pro-Arch group on reddit.com so that is how I came to try this over the others.

So far so good though. My computer is running faster than ever and the configuration stuff was very easy. Looking forward to a long, prosperous relationship with arch smile

Last edited by elsaturnino (2009-01-04 05:25:41)

#320 2009-01-05 16:57:29

blampars

Hello all.  been reading alot about arch and it all sounds like something i want to be a part of.  i've been using linux now for about 10 months.  installed ubuntu after my windows gave me yet one more bsod and i havnt looked back. lately though i've been feeling as though ubuntu is holding me back, mainly the fact of being forced to upgrade to use new packages or waiting for months for your package of choice to make it in backports.

yesterday i went through the installation guide and got arch setup in virtualbox just to make sure i could handle what i was getting into.  i'm lookin forward to using arch on my system as well as being a part of the arch community.

all the best,
-b

#321 2009-01-05 18:42:07

amwilli

Like so many others in this thread I tried many, many different distros and installed the BSDs too. In about 2002 I installed Red Hat because it was the only name in Linux that I knew. I forget why I didn't stay with it. I installed Slackware but didn't know enough to continue with it. And the Debian installer asked too many technical questions for me to answer. Then I found Knoppix and was saved! That was the first Linux that I really used. Then SimplyMepis came out in August, I looked at it, and when the second released came out in, I think, December I have more or less used Mepis while trying all the other distros for a day, a week, a month, but always returning to Mepis because it just worked. My problem has been that I only used Mepis without digging into the workings of it. The same is true with others that I tried. With the BSDs I learned enough to install them but didn't go further to set them up to be usable. I know that is my failing, not blaming Linux or Unix. Now with Arch I am ready to dig in and learn what I should have learned years ago. All that I have read in Arch and the forum fits exactly what I need at the moment. An old saying that I read decades ago "When a student is ready the teacher will appear" seems to apply with Arch. It will be my teacher.

#322 2009-01-09 05:13:10

hrsetrdr

Hi all,   I've been using Linux distros for going on 5 years, but just in the last couple years have been "serious" about learning as much as I can, to be as proficient[in Linux]as my abilities will carry me.     I mainly use Debian, FreeBSD and have recently install Gentoo successfully; I've still got a long ways to go before RMS emails me for help!   wink

-ht

#323 2009-01-11 13:31:43

ed.resende

Hello, I come from debian and am enjoying much of arch.

very good and neither is it so difficult to install as they say.

Thanks!

#324 2009-01-16 04:13:53

Ronin15

When I start my laptop and log on using gdm and gnome I get a warning tell me that a x server is already running on screen 0. It says select yes to start on a different screen. So, I select yes and a couple of respawns later I log on and everything is fine. Just wondering if anyone has any Ideas on what could be causing this. Any feed back would be appreciated.

"Once you go Arch you will never go back"

#325 2009-01-16 04:24:10

Allan
Pacman
Website

Ronin15;  You would be best starting a new thread for that problem.

Board footer