You are not logged in.

#326 2009-01-16 09:58:49

Tiberius

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi, I tried Arch a year ago but it was a bit too advanced for me then ,went back to Ubuntu and learned a bit more. I'm back on Arch now and can 'make it' and 'break it' comfortably - well almost! I love the ethos and the way I can have it exactly how I want it.
Cheers to all the Devs and packagers that make this possible.

#327 2009-01-16 11:38:44

nblock
Website

Hi,
my name is Florian and i'm using Arch since August 2008. What can I say? It's great and i am really amazed about the community and the "Arch way" in general. I started using Linux with Debian Sarge and switched to Ubuntu about two years later. A college told me about Arch and i thought - let's give it a try. And i can say that it is the best distro out there. At least for me.

Big thanks to the devs and the community!

cya

#328 2009-01-16 12:30:27

Mogger
Website

Might as well introduce myself.

Hello everyone,

My name is Hans. I haven't become an archer yet, but I plan to install Arch on my Netbook (which I haven't bought yet). After reading the wiki I was convinced that Arch was something for me - I currently use Slackware and love the KISS principle.

I've been using Linux for about 9 years and am interested in FOSS in general and KDE in particular.

#329 2009-01-16 15:42:05

pssd

Hy to all,

i switched from windows to gentoo a few years ago and never did regret it.
But compilling always took so much time and so i wanted to try something else for my laptop. A friend suggested archlinux.
It was relative easy to get a system with encryption and lvm. Even suspend to disk and ram is working. I am really impressed.
Thank You all for developping, maintaining, "wikiing", posting in this forum and so on... . It was really a big help to get my laptop speak "arch".

bye

#330 2009-01-18 06:51:55

Kilz

Hi to those that may have read some of my posts else in other places, and any new friends I may meet.

O My
I wanted to try something Different. Its only been 3 years of Ubuntu and 6+k posts in the 64bit section there since I have tried a new distro.

Well Arch is Different. After getting a desktop up (it only took 3 tries! YAY!) I can honestly say that it has been fun.

I can also honestly say that I would have never been able to do it 3 years ago.

Now the fun begins   smile

I trust Microsoft about as far as I can comfortably spit a dead rat.
Cinnamon is a wonderful desktop
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#331 2009-01-18 08:03:55

Dead Code

Hello everyone.. I am new to Arch.. I have used ubuntu for 2.5 years.. Really had a good experience installing Arch and looking forward for a pleasant ride with Arch.

A really BIG hi to all the fellow Archers! smile

#332 2009-01-18 09:03:41

chillu

Hello everyone!

Coming to Arch from Ubuntu.. Linux has taught me a LOT of things over the years. First I learnt touch typing
so that I can be effective at the terminal. Then UNIX commands [still learning smile]. Contrary to most people
I first started using Vimperator first and then Vim big_smile Now I want to completely let go of my mouse and switch
to a tiling window manager like xmonad/awesome (Question being whether I want to learn Haskell or Lua big_smile)
but still having some issues with Xorg and keyboard/mouse input. Hopefully I'll find my answers here smile

#333 2009-01-18 12:49:27

Aphanic

Hi there everyone!

I'm Alexander from Verín (and Madrid too, both in Spain). I've tried some linux distros over the years (*buntu, SuSE, Fedora, Gentoo, ...) before I came to Arch, and I have to say I love it!

For me it's a perfect distro, you have what you want to have and how you want it. If you want to have something installed from sources you can, I you want to build your custom Kernel with the optimizations you want you can, it's just perfect.

Thank you very much for your work Arch developers, I'm glad to have found it.

Best regards,

- Alexander.

#334 2009-01-19 04:28:39

PatJr

Hello Arch world.
I am trying Arch again only this time in a Vbox install. My computer is kinda old so it does not make the DE's shine.

I had some snages getting it going but so far it's moving along. I really like the way you're told what things are for and why things are done the way they are. Hope it goes well for me.

Best of Luck to all,
Pat Jr

#335 2009-01-21 18:48:26

arn77aud

Hello everyone,

Not really a newbie yet, I'm still using Mandriva but the big jump should happen soon because I want to get a better understanding of what's under the hood and I think after three years using GNU/Linux I'm ready to take the challenge.

C ya!

Last edited by arn77aud (2009-01-21 18:48:53)

#336 2009-01-21 18:58:53

Akshr

hello all, this is Akshay.

#337 2009-01-21 20:41:51

paoloyx

Hello everybody,

my name is Paolo and i'm joining this marvelous community. smile
I'm very in love with ArchLinux. smile

Best wishes to all of you!

Paolo

#338 2009-01-21 23:17:58

azurepancake

Hello!

I've been quite intrigued by Linux for awhile now, and I've actually decided to start working on my Linux+ certification from CompTIA.

For about a year and a half now, I've worked with Ubuntu Linux and it has been a wonderful stepping-stone for me. Gave me some time to understand the basics, and now I have heard of "The Arch Way" and am ready to move on!

This is an awesome community and the wiki is very well documented.

See you next time, Space Cowboy!

#339 2009-01-22 09:17:49

AngryKoala

Hi there Arch Users.

I have been using Ubuntu as my main OS for about 4 months now.  ArchLinux seemed like a step in the right direction, so here I am.  I just got it installed and I got my wifi working, which was a pain, but it's done!  I look forward to contributing to the community and learning more about Linux.

Ciao

#340 2009-01-22 10:25:20

msh

Greetings! I bring Universal Peace and cookies! Well, maybe not.

I've always been interested in learning Linux. Over the last year I've experimented with various distros (Ubuntu and OpenSUSE) but quickly drifted away from either and all - I felt that the desktop installation was hiding details and installed features I neither needed nor was ever going to use for reasons I did not understand. This just felt wrong to me - I'm the sort of person who believes one must understand bits first to work with bytes. smile

Recently I stumbled upon Arch Linux (is it "Arch Linux" or "ArchLinux"?) and after reading about The Arch Way I realized that it was the perfect thing for me! So here I am and looking forward to being part of the community. big_smile

#341 2009-01-23 03:41:28

HashBox

Hello everyone!

I've been using Linux for a few years now, and have recently been using Sidux and/or Debian Sid but decided I'd like to try something new. I was considering trying out FreeBSD as a desktop OS (and still might on another box) but I decided to switch to Arch at the last minute. I have read up about Arch before and I really like the KISS philosophy, and I've also found the forums useful in the past when I've been configuring Xmonad.
So I had a couple of small hiccups in getting my desktop up and running, but nothing a little trial and error couldn't fix. I now have my desktop at the same stage it was with Debian, including all the same applications and themes etc, only now I'm using 14% of my 1GB ram instead of ~30%, although I'm not quite sure why.
I'm also the author of DockBox/HashTWM which some of you might've used before.

Anyway I think that was a long enough introduction, you should see me around here from time to time, probably in screenshot threads most likely! smile

#342 2009-01-23 12:22:34

Tayl

Hello all.

Well, I've used Gentoo and Ubuntu in the past (now when I say past, I really mean well in the past so my knowledge and familiarity with Linux is about as extent as my ability to walk on water), so I plan on reading over this forum quite frequently before I attempt to have a crack at installing this distro. So any help would be greatly appreciated and expect some of the dumbest questions you'll ever read to be posted by myself hehe.

Well, time to get reading so goodbye for now all.

Tayl.

#343 2009-01-24 00:23:02

Alxe

Hello to you all.

I'm Alex, 15 years old. I've not been using Linux Systems for too much time, relative short as an administrator on my own PC and some more time on other computers, like school's, where I had no administrative power. I kinda "hate" Windows, because of all the EXPENSIVE, CLOSED source, and HARD-TO-DEAL software ;_; This computer has two HD, so in one I have a Linux distro (soon to be Arch wink But for now it's Ubuntu) and on other I have Windows, for family, and other issues. In the future I'd like to be a programmer, so where better in a place where I can even see how are the programs made; but for now I've just "studied" some web-oriented languages like PHP. I'll ask some questions in a new thread down there, maybe now, or maybe later, or even tomorrow, but I'm sure I will smile Hope I can have some good friends around here.

Arch64

#344 2009-01-24 18:43:28

lorenzo87

hi everybody, first of all sorry for my english.. i'm using arch from a few months and i think is the best..i used pratically all major distributions but i think that this will be the last one big_smile no more changes

#345 2009-01-25 04:52:52

sio

Hey all.

Name's Sharif, and I'm not really attached to any one particular distro - a different tool for a different purpose, I say. But Arch does seem like a very nice distro - simple and elegant.

#346 2009-01-27 06:23:47

jbusch

Hello fellow archies,

I used Windows for the longest time, but switched over to Linux (Ubuntu) about 6 or 7 months ago.  I decided to venture into another new (and brave) world with Arch Linux about 2 weeks ago, and haven't regretted it yet.  It's been quite a learning experience!

#347 2009-01-27 07:46:18

mikesd
Website

Hi people,
Having been using Arch for probably over a year now. In the past I have used Debian (Great distro but not updated often enough for a desktop system), Gentoo (Fantastic distro but sometimes I just don't want to wait for apps to compile), Ubuntu (Interesting how much they have done in so short a time.) but find Arch the best fit for myself. ABS is a cool system making it very easy to make up custom packages. Would love to one day help out on a distro somehow.

Last edited by mikesd (2009-01-27 07:46:40)

#348 2009-01-27 11:31:10

hvannentir

Hi everyone !
As Aphanic, I have tried many distro ( redhat, mandrake (aka mandriva ), suse, fedora, debian, ubuntu, gentoo, etc, etc ... ).
Yeah I'm a linux fan.

Looking for a light distro for my old laptop, I found Archlinux. Tried it, and fall in love smile

Other distros are, for my use, too specialized. Mandriva and Ubuntu or Suse are too user friendly oriented, and when you want to do something a little more complex it is just a pain. Debian is great for servers, but updated too slowly when you like to play with all new stuff coming out all day long big_smile

Archlinux is "my" distro. I want something now ? I get it. I want to do a complex thing ? Let's keep it simple by editing just little settings files. Want to compile a not yet available package ( dmraid rc15 for example ), use ABS, customize a little and bam you get it. Even Wine is working great and I play windows games under my linux now and so I have put Archlinux on all my PC.

So, to make it short, ( what ? Im flooding ? wink ) , I love you all Archlinux community, you're my familly. wink

Last edited by hvannentir (2009-01-27 11:38:34)

#349 2009-01-28 05:06:29

Jaymes

Hi there!

My first post in this amazing community! I'm currently exploring Arch in VMWare inside of a Ubuntu install and I must say I am completely impressed! The Forums and Wiki are top notch and provide some of the best material available for Linux! I love the philosophy and elegance of this distribution and how in transparency, knowledge is increased and everyone benefits!

I've been using Ubuntu since 6.04 and it has provided a great platform and gentle intro in the world of Linux. Even just using Arch for the week that I have, I have begun to learn an incredible amount of new topics and information big_smile

To everyone that has contributed, thank you for making this a great distribution and for putting many hours into the documentation. I know for sure that shortly I will be changing out from VMWare and into a secondary boot and eventually into the primary boot once I have everything working exactly the way I want it to smile

I'm sure people will see me around adding content and even additional tools. Formal training and engineering helps, so I might as well use it to benefit the community big_smile

~Jaymes

#350 2009-01-28 14:59:52

`dannyb

Hey all! I just wanted to say how much I appreciate both the philosophy and stability of this distro. The documentation is top notch and I am confident I will be able to comfortably stop using Windows and finally adopt Linux. I really appreciate the hard work all of the developers put into this distro, without them it wouldn't be what it is today! Thank you guys for making my new favorite distro!!!

Board footer