You are not logged in.

#3576 2013-12-04 18:02:48

nomorewindows

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

drcouzelis wrote:
mattcheau wrote:

that registration question really set the tone. neutral

And it's not all seriousness here! Sometimes we talk about fun things like eating tacos, or eating poutine, or sometimes even things that aren't about eating! smile

You forgot to bring the grey poupon!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3577 2013-12-05 00:27:05

Taraq

Hi everyone! I'm just starting out with arch, it's been on my desktop for a while, but my friend set up that install, and now I'm installing alone on my laptop.

drcouzelis wrote:
mattcheau wrote:

thanks for that, fellow nutmegger!

Ahaha, it took me forever to figure out what you were talking about! big_smile I've only lived here a couple years but have no plans to leave. Most proud of: Popping into the sound for a swim in the middle of October. smile Most ashamed of: I still giggle when I hear a thick RI accent. sad

Connecticut here too!

#3578 2013-12-05 08:05:46

pmv

Hello everyone and greeting from Finland!

I'm back. Been away from Linux-world for few years, but tonight I'm going to install Arch-linux once more.

Here's a copy of my message from april 2004:

Here's my journey to arch
- Redhat '95 for a month
- Suse '97 for 6 months
- Redhat '01 - '02
- Mandrake '02
- Vector '02-'03
- Arch '03-

And I can add that I stopped using Arch 2007 at home, when I needed to sell my desktop-computer and started using only my MacBook. I still used Arch a little at my work until 2009 when I moved to another job.

So I'm not really a newbie, but I quess a lot has changed since I used linux last time.

I bought a new desktop computer two years ago, but because I used it to play blu-rays on my bedroom I installed Win7 there. Now I don't have my computer on my bedroom anymore, so I decided to come back to linux again.

I will be installing it first as dual boot. And if I'm  happy with it (and my wife too), i'll install it as only os.

Last edited by pmv (2013-12-05 08:06:35)

#3579 2013-12-05 08:50:16

GloW_on_dub

Welcome back.
You can now read BluRay from Linux roll
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

Last edited by GloW_on_dub (2013-12-05 08:50:32)

#3580 2013-12-05 14:06:50

drcouzelis
Website

pmv wrote:

How much buzz is there about the Jolla Mobile Phone? Are you considering buying one? big_smile

#3581 2013-12-05 23:04:18

CarlD

Hello from London.

I migrated to Arch a few weeks ago after leaving the Manjaro Linux Team. Amongst various other duties (e.g. the Manjaro wiki), I was responsible for designing and building the various iterations of their Openbox flavour (big Openbox fan). Now I focus on learning as much as I can and contributing to the Arch wiki; seems I found a good "home" there, as I've already started to recognise the names of quite a few other regular contributors!

Must say I am very impressed with the speed and lightness of a pure Arch system (with Openbox, of course). Seems I've developed a bit of a thing for OS minimalism... tongue

#3582 2013-12-06 00:52:29

Cisse

Hi from Belgium (although currently active in Brazil - more specific offshore in the middle of nowhere yikes)...
I was looking for a distro that has and serves the philosophy I value most: "what ever you do yourself, you most likely will do it best".
Others I've used come packed with features and programs I don't need, and the ones I do need don't seem to install / work very well (admitting it might also be my lack of knowledge in the wonderful world of Linux).
Having said the above; I came across Arch Linux, started some Googleling, looked at articles and reviews, and today I finally decided to download the iso file.
I'll give it a spin, see if it fits and hopefully (I sincerely hoop so) will need to look no more for others.

In summery, just a guy trying to find his way in the distro world on his own (with the occasional help at hand).

KR,

Cisse

#3583 2013-12-06 09:22:17

SanskritFritz
Website

CarlD wrote:

Hello from London.

I migrated to Arch a few weeks ago after leaving the Manjaro Linux Team. Amongst various other duties (e.g. the Manjaro wiki), I was responsible for designing and building the various iterations of their Openbox flavour (big Openbox fan). Now I focus on learning as much as I can and contributing to the Arch wiki; seems I found a good "home" there, as I've already started to recognise the names of quite a few other regular contributors!

Must say I am very impressed with the speed and lightness of a pure Arch system (with Openbox, of course). Seems I've developed a bit of a thing for OS minimalism... tongue

Welcome aboard! Weird, I thought Manjaro was already Archlinux, so what makes it exactly slower than pure Arch?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3584 2013-12-06 12:00:47

CarlD

SanskritFritz wrote:

Welcome aboard! Weird, I thought Manjaro was already Archlinux, so what makes it exactly slower than pure Arch?

Thanks, mate. Only Arch is Arch - the Manjaro team itself emphasised and continues to re-emphasise that point. Manjaro and other derivatives are only based on Arch (hence not being supported in this forum, for example).

I supposed what slows down Manjaro would be the same things that slows down any user-friendly distro: all those pre-installed packages and pre-configurations to make life easier. Even the partitioning scheme used can of course have an impact.

Don't get me wrong - I am still very fond of Manjaro - it was just surprising to notice the differences after building my own (admittedly minimalist) Arch systems from scratch. Speed and weight differences are much more noticable with the XFCE desktop.

But then this is coming from someone who doesn't want to use XFCE after noting it uses 40-50MB more RAM than a configured Openbox environment on a 8GB system, despite all the extras provided!

#3585 2013-12-06 12:11:58

Jojonintendo

Hi from Spain!

I use Archlinux since about 3 years, I really like its simple yet powerful approach. And also I'm reading a lot of threads on this forum, so now I'm part of it smile

M/B: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor GPU: XFX R9 390 DD Black Edition RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 1866 2X4GB SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA 3
CPU and GPU are watercooled by Ibercool kit.

#3586 2013-12-07 00:30:02

p0wder2

Hello future people that will enjoy my presence only after the long periods of frustration dotted with inexplicable moments of insane laughter begin to slowly convince you that I'm actually worth having around friends!

While I fiddled with Fedora a little back in college (years ago) and have used Ubuntu on occasion, I am most certainly a Windows guy and consider myself a complete n00b when it comes to Linux.  This displeases me.  I read about the Arch Way before choosing it and I realize fully that it is not the distro for a beginner.  However, I think it's the best way for me to learn and your documentation looks superb!  I've managed to get it up and running on Vbox VM with a guest additions as well as a couple of optional packages.  Trying to get as far as I can without asking questions, but it seems cron may be my undoing smile

Anyways, I was born in blah blah blah blah blah and I find myself here.  Now that you know my life story, I hope I can begin to learn about yours and maybe even contribute to it and what appears to be an excellent community.  See ya around!

Your companion cube will never threaten to stab you.

#3587 2013-12-07 03:57:45

drcouzelis
Website

p0wder2 wrote:

Now that you know my life story, I hope I can begin to learn about yours and maybe even contribute to it

Are you coming on to me? yikes

#3588 2013-12-07 16:16:50

Tid91
Website

Hello to everyone... big_smile

I'm new to Arch, but not completely to Linux World. I've been a Ubuntu user and a CentOs user.
My all-days OS is Mac OSX and I'm trying to learn arch for university targets (in particular usage of OpenFOAM and Python for Computational Science).

I'm Ruben,
from Milan, Italy, nice to meet all of you! big_smile

#3589 2013-12-07 21:19:35

p0wder2

drcouzelis wrote:
p0wder2 wrote:

Now that you know my life story, I hope I can begin to learn about yours and maybe even contribute to it

Are you coming on to me? yikes

No.  I am happily married to my companion cube smile

Your companion cube will never threaten to stab you.

#3590 2013-12-08 14:09:55

nd7rmn8

hello all

been using arch mostly for a year now.  I've used a lot of distros over the years, started using arch because i heard it is similar to slackware, which was my favorite, and i also kept on ending up at the arch wiki when i had linux questions.  so here i am.

i just cant stop thinking about how much smarter id be if i would have started reading years ago instead of skimming to find the answer...

tl;dr, meh

#3591 2013-12-09 03:31:37

zero_ok

Hello all..
My linux era has come after so many years with Windows.
Of course i didnt start with Arch. I installed Ubuntu first as a more user friendly and suitable for beginners distro. I learned the basic concept about Linux and how thinks work, so it was time to find "my" distro, reading articles and opinions about various distros on the net.
I found an interesting article about Arch Linux and i thought i should definitely try this.
I followed the very good beginner's guide on site and so im here on my new system with Arch Linux.
Nice to meet you, Zero.

#3592 2013-12-10 13:30:57

Nicop

Hello everyone,

I've been using Arch Linux for about two years now, but I just registered on the English Forum. I love pacman and the rolling based packages. I also really like the fact that I am the master of my system, and I can solve most problems by myself, and the ability to easily manage compiled packages with abs and aur. I was a heavy Ubuntu user, but every time I had a problem the only viable solutions was a full re-installation. I'm also using Linux Mint (for the family computer), FreeBSD for my server (for the awesome ZFS) and Debian in servers I don't own. I also tried openSUSE, Fedora and Mandriva. I already have some knowledge in Linux based systems and especially in ArchLinux, so I hope I will be able to help this community.

Nice to meet you

#3593 2013-12-11 05:30:49

JohnShaft

Hi All,

Just switched to Arch from Mint 14 last week. So far I think Arch is great and I don't think there is any looking back for me. The wiki and forums are top notch and I am having a great time building a system tailor made for my needs and learning a lot in the process.

#3594 2013-12-11 12:05:38

SamFor

Hello from Finland.
Even though I've been using different Linux distros from 2001 and learned to use some shell and do some partitioning I consider myself as a noob. I also consider myself as a Nihilist who prefers pay bills safely and I need Arch with its simplicity, i.e. not too much bling-bling nor other fancy stuff(desktop would be ok wink ). Will post questions when I find the appropriate thread.

There must be some kind of codes I ought to follow as I post my hardware info.. I try to find and follow it to burden this forum less. For that I ask your forbearance.

#3595 2013-12-12 21:33:21

G1D3M0

Hi everyone,
I've been using Arch Linux for a few years and it's without a doubt my favorite OS ever. I figured it's about time I joined the forums so here I am smile

#3596 2013-12-13 22:10:44

thund3rpantz

Hello from Norway! will try to set up a arch LAMP smile

#3597 2013-12-14 16:23:46

drcouzelis
Website

thund3rpantz wrote:

Hello from Norway! will try to set up a arch LAMP smile

Hi! Setting up a LAMP server is fun. I used the Arch Linux wiki. I went from "I know nothing!" to "I have my own website!" in just a few hours on a Saturday morning. big_smile

#3598 2013-12-14 21:42:27

willeponken

Good day, been lurking around at archs wiki for sometime and love the distro, so I thought I could join smile

#3599 2013-12-15 02:13:57

PatronMaster

Hi all,

I use the Linux for 4 years but only Debian and Ubuntu.
I think is time to next evolution.
Will not be easy, but you will be rewarding.
I already use Arch for one month and first big problem appeared yesterday.
Let's see if I can solve

#3600 2013-12-15 03:58:40

Roby

Hey,

Just installed Arch for the first time on Tuesday. Until now I've spent an equal amount of time switching between Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian. Because of my work Linux is not my primary machine, but I enjoy using for leisure, learning, and experimenting.
Arch is definitely the most rewarding distro I've used and the most intriguing being a rolling release and highly customizable to be the system I want it to be.
Just saying hi and excited for my Arch journey.

Board footer