You are not logged in.

#3701 2014-01-29 10:37:00

Iewicz

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone. I started using Arch a couple of weeks ago. I've used Suse, Ubuntu and latest Gentoo. I liked the "advanced" approach that Gentoo offers but don't have patience for all those packages to compile (I know, there are a few binaries, besides that my pc is not the fastest one).
Love the documentation.

#3702 2014-01-29 19:48:10

i3_Arch

Hey everyone, I started using archlinux about a year ago. Starting out with xfce and now currently in i3 with no DE. I have used several linux distros in my past and Archlinux tops them all. Ever since I begun my journey into the arch world I have been obsessed with customizing my desktop to my liking. I have since installed it on my Desktop, turning it into a full arch machine.

Just stopping by to say hey smile

- i3_Arch

Archlinux + i3 + zsh = winning
Registered Linux User #565414
Blackarch Pentesting Distro
Github

#3703 2014-01-29 20:01:00

Korapus

Hello Everyone!
Roberto, 30 yrs from Italy!
I'm not new of GNU/Linux not even Arch; I use Arch from a few years, but i don't know i i decided to sign up now tongue
I started to use linux with ubuntu 7.04 but I liked it very much and so i was back to winzoz...
A couple of years ago I decided to completely get rid of winzoz, and i started to look at some decent distro. To my delight i discovered Arch!
It was not easy to install the first time, but after several tests I did big_smile was immediately love, I have not left; for me definitely the best linux distro.
I use Arch with gnome shell and i3wm on pc; on netbook i use arch with xfce4.
For now it seems all tongue cya soon!

Last edited by Korapus (2014-01-29 20:02:22)

#3704 2014-01-29 21:52:28

JohnKapri

Hi!
John Kapri here from Bavaria, Germany.
I joined this community a few days ago (allready messing it up because I missed a dot in my mail address. TWICE!).
I used to have Ubuntu as my primary OS and GNOME 3 as my DE. Ubuntu isn't realy known for its up-to-date packages and since GNOME 3.10 was released (that was last year somewhere around September or October) with all its beauty and grace I was realy eager to try it out! Well, not with Ubuntu. I tried getting the beta/preview of 13.10 to work, but that failed hard. I later found out that 3.10 wasn't even in the repos for this version, so it probably wasn't too bad that it didn't work.
However, I was left with a broken Linux (yet again, weee!) and this time decided to be fancy and try something new. A friend has told me of Arch before and so I wanted to try it out. Damn this installation is complicated once you got used to the Ubuntu installer! xD But after some time of "sudo apt-" *damnit* "sudo pacman" mistakes everything was just ... good! Arch is brilliant! I was used to adding PPAs to my packagelist and now? Just a "yaourt red-eclipse" and there you are! No annoying services and daemons one doesn't need, it's personal computing to the max.
Since I installed Arch last year, I didn't boot with Windows anymore btw... tongue

MfG,
John

#3705 2014-01-29 22:04:59

drcouzelis
Website

JohnKapri wrote:

However, I was left with a broken Linux (yet again, weee!)

Oh, gosh... I remember those days. One bad command and... Oops! My installation is broken and I have no idea how to fix it! Welp, time to reinstall again! Arch Linux can be a pain to install, but at least now I know how to do stuff. smile

Welcome!

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-01-29 22:05:18)

#3706 2014-01-31 00:05:14

TadaenSylvermane

Made an account the other day here. Have been on Debian for over a year (my first linux experience). Looking to learn more faster. So hello. I hope I can contribute somewhat now if not in the very near future.

#3707 2014-01-31 23:01:02

nullified

Hello all,

I've been a linux user for years now (ubuntu, mint). I finally decided to check out Arch and I fell in love immediately. I've installed it on my laptop at work and now on my new desktop. I've run into a whole host of problems but the community here is absolutely amazing and I've always been able to find solutions or clues on here or the wiki. I've learned a great deal about linux in general and this excellent distro in particular. I won't be using anything else and after a few months of learning as much as I have I hope to contribute any way possible...paying it forward. Thank you everyone for the hard work and amazing community!

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#3708 2014-02-01 06:10:53

CSCoder4ever

Hello there!

I am a 19yo (20 later this year) Computer Science Major. I am not really new to GNU/Linux, I've been at it a couple years now but have only been using it for a little more than a year as my daily driver.
My Story started when I was about to head to college, I decided to throw Linux mint 13 on my laptop (I had at the time), and it had served me well for that semester. The next Semester I used #! on my other laptop (I had at the time), which also served me well. This semester, I threw Arch on my Current laptop, and it's been doing me well so far!

Hope to Contribute somehow in the future!

Desktop: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill DDR4 RAM @ 3600MHz CL16 | 500GB 980 pro NVMe SSD, several Sata SSDs | Arch Linux x86_64 w/ awesomeWM
Keebs: ID75 w/ Kailh Speed Navy's w/ GMK Laser

#3709 2014-02-01 12:36:16

GloW_on_dub

Hum, what is "#!" ?

#3710 2014-02-01 13:23:52

jvc2014

Hi everyone! I am James and installed Arch about 4 months ago when one of my LMDE boxes died during an upgrade to LMDE 7. I tried Arch because I wanted a fast, minimalist install that I can tailor to what I want it to do. The ArchWiki is really good and getting the system running (thankfully I had a /home partition already) was pretty easy. The only fiddly bit was the usual SSD babycare.

I have been writing software for about 16 years and at home I use Linux for all my projects.

Other distros I have installed and regularly use are Ubuntu 1310 (on a System 76) and Debian on a Seashell Netbook. I have been a long term user of Mint and a happy donator of funds to Mint and Wikipedia smile

Kernel: 3.14.1-1-ARCH (x86_64), Board : 0P301D Dell Inc. , RAM: 4GB
CPU: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
/ : ATA INTEL SSDSA2MH08  ,   /home : ATA WDC WD2500BEVT-2
Video: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV620 LE [Radeon HD 3450]

#3711 2014-02-01 15:23:53

nomorewindows

GloW_on_dub wrote:

Hum, what is "#!" ?

Arch Bang

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3712 2014-02-01 17:08:12

CSCoder4ever

nomorewindows wrote:
GloW_on_dub wrote:

Hum, what is "#!" ?

Arch Bang

Actually I was using Crunchbang, Debian-based Distro. Must admit though I really love Pacman vs apt-get!

Desktop: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill DDR4 RAM @ 3600MHz CL16 | 500GB 980 pro NVMe SSD, several Sata SSDs | Arch Linux x86_64 w/ awesomeWM
Keebs: ID75 w/ Kailh Speed Navy's w/ GMK Laser

#3713 2014-02-01 19:34:58

jpgg

GloW_on_dub wrote:

Hum, what is "#!" ?

I've seen it there.

EDIT : Others were too fast...

Last edited by jpgg (2014-02-01 19:35:37)

#3714 2014-02-01 21:40:22

dboxall123

Hi everyone!

I'm from London and am currently in my first year at uni studying computer science. I've been using Linux Lite for about a year (and before anyone says it, no, I don't mean Linpus Lite, I mean Linux Lite!). Decided to give Arch a try, and so far, loving it. Had a couple of issues with internet to start with, mainly due to me forgetting to install rfkill before I rebooted the system (dammit!) but it's all done now. Pacman seems really good. Building packages is really easy. And the documentation is second to none. Yeh, I think I've found the distro for me :-)

#3715 2014-02-02 09:17:54

Babbzzz

Hello everyone!

I've been on GNU/Linux only for about 6 months now. I've completely removed Windoze from my life. It feels awesome. I feel free.

This is my 4th distro. Linux Mint --> Debian --> CrunchBang and now Arch Linux! I'm loving it! big_smile

#3716 2014-02-03 00:18:38

mrknify

nomorewindows wrote:
mrknify wrote:

line input a$ "hello world"

?SN ERROR
OK

its a basic programming thing.(qb4.5) win95 ish....

LG x110-L.a7b2a9 16g sd card, Arch Linux.(he has xp, oz unity, oz ultimate.)
Asus U36JC plan for duel boot w7 with Arch

#3717 2014-02-03 02:01:46

nomorewindows

mrknify wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:
mrknify wrote:

line input a$ "hello world"

?SN ERROR
OK

its a basic programming thing.(qb4.5) win95 ish....

Oh, wait, I think you mean,

line input "hello world" ; a$

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3718 2014-02-03 15:33:24

zerocored

Hello big_smile
Just anothe arch newbie passing by. I used to have spybuntu, switced to Xubuntu. Now I'm using Arch!
Cheers!

There's no place like ~

#3719 2014-02-06 00:06:12

SimbaClaws
Banned

Hi,

I'm new here. My name is hylke and I just started installing an arch distro on to a friend's dell latitude d531 laptop. Archbang specifically.
I decided to do this because of the limited resources available on this machine, concluding that it had to be lightweight. I am using openbox with LXDE and things are running quite smoothly.
Previously I used ubuntu on my main computer and started learning a bit. I switched desktop environments a few times and learned a bit about using the terminal...
Created my own conky script for retrieving mail from my inbox and displaying it in ascii art windows as if they were mail post messages using python.
I can probably say that I'm still a real newby when it comes to linux since I've only started using it a few months back.

Either ways, I came here to say hi and post a question about my wifi not working.
(Yes I do read the archlinux documentation and I have searched around the forums for an answer before asking).

#3720 2014-02-07 11:57:15

perseus69

Hi all,

After being primarily an Ubuntu/Debian user for several years I decided it was time to give Arch a go.

I just completed my 2nd Arch install last week (1st was on a VM). The process was straight-forward, documentation was great and package management (almost) seamless. A lot less daunting than I first feared.

Glad to be joining the community!

#3721 2014-02-07 13:52:56

nomorewindows

drcouzelis wrote:
JohnKapri wrote:

However, I was left with a broken Linux (yet again, weee!)

Oh, gosh... I remember those days. One bad command and... Oops! My installation is broken and I have no idea how to fix it! Welp, time to reinstall again! Arch Linux can be a pain to install, but at least now I know how to do stuff. smile

Welcome!

No more messages saying Bad command (or filename) just a time to restart.

Look ma, no mouse.

#3722 2014-02-07 20:50:50

MatterCloud

Greetings!

I just switched to Arch from CrunchBang (Mint and Ubuntu before that) and it's going great!  I've got nearly everything set up the way I want it now, and it's a great feeling to know exactly what's running on my machine.  I was a little worried about the install process, so I tried it on a virtual machine first to get a feel for things.  The full install on my hardware went well, and the wiki and forums helped enormously.  I had heard the Arch documentation was good, but I didn't expect it to be THAT good!  It really is unparalleled.  Anyway, I'm super happy to be here and loving Arch so far!

#3723 2014-02-08 22:09:00

saco

Hi all!

I've been using arch for some weeks now and it is amazing, everything is possible and you can do the things in many different ways big_smile
It wasn't easy in the begining, but now I think I now at least a bit of the stuff that is running in the background.

The huge arch-wiki is extremly helpful and there is plenty of documentation about almost everything.

#3724 2014-02-09 15:58:04

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME

Hello everyone!

I've been using Linux for years now. I started with Ubuntu, but soon changed to Debian sid to get bleeding-edge stuff.

I learned that Arch have more bleeding edge stuff than Debian, so I changed again. Been using for ~3 weeks now. It's the best distro I've ever used.

#3725 2014-02-09 20:22:23

jp.garibotti

Hello everyone!

First time posting to the forums. I've been running Arch for a couple days and I'm enjoying it. I've learned more about Linux and OSs in general in these few days than I have in years of working with Windows. Thankfully there are plenty of resources available and the going has been smooth, if a bit slow at times.

I installed Arch because I wanted to write portable programs, and someone suggested Arch as the best for it. I already used mingw on Windows, so I am used to gcc and I already didn't rely on Windows libraries. Still, I had to eventually test things on a real Linux box and see how things worked there.

I'd run Mint for a couple of days before, but I was encouraged to dump it. Overall, I'm happy I did. Getting Arch set up was difficult but rewarding. I'm now running it off a usb stick on my laptop. I was hesitant to pave over the laptop's hard drive, but if everything works out I might move it in permanently. I hope it will run faster from the sdd than it does from the usb stick.

Anyway, hopefully you won't see me asking too many questions around here wink

Board footer