You are not logged in.

#351 2009-01-29 12:04:07

skipio

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hi everyone,
i'm marco, 22 years old. just moved here from gentoo. i found that arch is a really nice distro, love the init system.

#352 2009-01-31 17:02:33

vertana

Hi!! Thank for this great distro! I just started using it, but it didn't take me long to get into a KDE 4.2 desktop. You guys did a great job! And the documentation is top notch, even if I didn't know Linux, I could've figured it out with the great wiki pages you have. I look forward to contributing to this community smile  (Ah yes, and I come from Ubuntu/Kubuntu... so needless to say MANY speed improvements!)

Last edited by vertana (2009-01-31 17:03:10)

#353 2009-02-01 19:05:38

Bonner
Website

Hello All!

I'm Bonner, 17,  hailing from Derbyshire England

I've been using Ubuntu since about August last year and after hearing how good Arch was, I decided to give it a shot. My first attempt ended in failure and wiping the partition, but after following the excellent beginner's guide I now have a working system and i'm currently working out the kinks.

Brilliant distro, nice job.

#354 2009-02-02 07:01:50

dannytatom
Website

'elo everyone!

I've been wanting to try Arch for a while but was put off by how hard everyone made it seem.  After reading the forums for a few weeks I got around to doing it, and must say it was a lot easier than people make it out to be.  Only had a small problem with sreen resolution when installing, but that was quickly fixed when I installed the right driver.

Only other distro I've used is Ubuntu (and ubuntu derivatives) and was getting tired of having to uninstall a million things I'd never use everytime I did a fresh isntall.  That, and I didn't like going through synaptic seeing tons of things installed I wasn't sure if I needed or not.  I like that with Arch I know exactly what I install, making it easier to manage and track down errors, and all around funner to use.

Anywho, loving the distro and the community seems to be great as well. smile

Last edited by dannytatom (2009-02-02 07:02:16)

dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

#355 2009-02-05 22:58:00

Manannan

Cheers everyone!

Male, 26 years old, industrial/graphic/interface designer, currently living in Helsinki, drinks too much great tasting coffee.
I'm relatively new to linux, started with ubuntu but I really want to learn how everything works and bring my geekiness to the next level so I'm here wink

#356 2009-02-06 16:33:37

Exitium

Manannan wrote:

Cheers everyone!

Male, 26 years old, industrial/graphic/interface designer, currently living in Helsinki, drinks too much great tasting coffee.
I'm relatively new to linux, started with ubuntu but I really want to learn how everything works and bring my geekiness to the next level so I'm here wink

Woo! Finnish! Suomi Finland Perkele!

#357 2009-02-06 21:05:03

mr4y

Hi people.
Well, for now on I'm not so much newbie in linux aspects apart from the Arch way of doing stuff. Used Mandriva, (U,Ku,Xu)buntu, openSUSE, DSL, Puppy, Kurumin, Sabayon and Big Linux. Not hoping simplycity in Arch, but flexibility and not wanting to wait ages for a install, like happens on Gentoo, Sabayon, Litrix and stuff.

Well, that's it. I'm pretty bad at introducing myself, lol.

Free Software and Open Source ARE NOT the same thing!!!
Proud distro tester.
MR4Y aka Mental Ray

#358 2009-02-07 09:01:50

mikey

Hi everyone.

I installed Arch linux a little while back to see what it was like. I struggeled 2 days to get my vpn to work, it was a hassle but when I finally got it to work i had learnt a lot more about linux and thats what attracted me to this distro. Iv been using linux for about 9 months now, and I want to learn more, I found Arch and I think Ill keep using it.

Cheers and thanks for a great distro smile

#359 2009-02-07 15:44:18

vinicius

After Ubuntu, Gentoo and Debian...

HELLO ARCH !!! big_smile

Hi, everybody.

#360 2009-02-08 05:15:33

ctarwater

Hello all,

xp
    xbox softmodded with xbmc
    linksys wrt54gs with tomato firmware
    nokia n800 (maemo-linux)

eventually led to
xp / ubuntu dual boot (2 weeks)

led to a microsoft free household

led to ubuntu...hmmm...cool, what's this do?  How's this work?  Wait - what do you mean I can't remove ekiga or evolution because of wierd dependency issues?!? (8 months or so)

Led to virtualbox installaion of Arch (2 days)

Led to holy crap, this is amazing!

Arch64+lxde+slim
(blazing fast with Brisbane 4800+ dual core & 2gb ram)

I love it here, thanks for the wonderful support via the wiki and these forums.

Thanks,
chris

#361 2009-02-08 21:56:00

Jboxer

Hello Everybody!!

#362 2009-02-09 13:44:24

Dis

Hello

after, ubuntu was arch the logical next step.

#363 2009-02-10 14:01:48

the.armageddon

In my opinion, Archlinux is the best distribution I ever used: configurable, lightweight and damn fast..

just a sexy linux..

#364 2009-02-10 15:35:55

pseudomatic

Hi,

I moved to Arch from Ubuntu at the weekend, and so far I'm loving it. I got sick of 6 monthly re-installs using Ubuntu and the others and hated the compile from source model of Gentoo, so stumbling across Arch is a real breath of fresh air. I love the simplicity, the speed and the "Arch Way" I don't want the details to be hidden - I want to play with the details...!

Congrats to whoever wrote the installation and beginners guides, btw. They're clear, concise and well thought out. A bit like Arch itself, I suppose... :-)

#365 2009-02-14 04:57:20

Preston C.

Hi everyone, I am Preston. I had been using Fedora since F5 but did not like their release cycle, even used a friends email to tell them. Fortunately, because of that email someone mentioned AL. When I came to the site and saw that I would not have to install the latest OS to get a up to date system, I was thrilled. Hopefully AL will work out for me, :-).

#366 2009-02-14 07:06:59

Ranguvar

Hey all new Archers! Enjoy your stay, hope you find Arch as awesome as we do big_smile

#367 2009-02-16 02:56:21

ZankerH

Hello, I seem to have overlooked this thread when I registered due to more pressing issues at the time such as network timing out randomly and X hating my keyboard.

In any case, I've recently moved my desktop from Debian to Arch. I've been trying out arch in VirtualBox for a while, and the main issue was with hardware compatibility (namely, dual monitors and a wireless keyboard), which turned out to be a non-issue. I'm very much liking the light-weightness of the distro, as well as the control of it I'm given - it must have been years since I've last manually installed and set up grub and xorg. I love pacman, although, being an awesome WM user, while I find the lack of a DE-agnostic frontend dissapointing, I'm managing just fine with the command line.

#368 2009-02-16 05:53:01

urdoll

I arrived and HELLO EVERYONE !

#369 2009-02-16 06:24:18

scyon
Website

Hi, my name is Sam and I've been a Linux user since 2005 (Desktop: openSUSE -> Fedora -> Ubuntu; Server: Debian).

All the servers I administer run Debian and I'm quite happy with it, but I wanted a distro for my laptop with:

- a rolling release.
- more up to date software than Debian testing.
- more stable software than Debian unstable.
- easy install of drivers and codecs.
- an emphasis on simplicity in administration.
- good documentation.
- a knowledgeable user base (e.g. better signal to noise ratio in the forums).

After some research Arch seemed like the way to go. After the better part of a weekend I have a laptop that is speeding along with KDE 4.2 and an assortment of great open source software.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

#370 2009-02-16 06:36:22

neorab
Website

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been using Linux alongside Windows for 8 years or so.  I'm a programmer, doing mostly Windows desktop applications, although I have done a few device drivers both Win32 and Linux.  I'm one of those people that can't stop installing new distributions and operating systems.  One of my friends compares me to a mountain climber, I rarely have a reason to install an OS besides "It's there, might as well try it."  Ubuntu had previously been my stable, day-to-day, use by default distro.  Then one day I found Arch.  I've never looked back.

Arch is now the yardstick by which I judge every operating system.  The simplicity is only one of the reasons I've fallen in love with Arch.  The community is the second.  Linux for me is not a destination, but a journey.  Sure, Ubuntu gives you a (mostly) functioning Gnome desktop in one swoop.  Arch doesn't give you a fish, it teaches you to catch.  By sorting through the wiki, you learn what it is you are doing, not just running every apt-get command anyone gives you.

When people ask me what I think Arch's closest relative is (normally people I've just barely gotten into Linux) I struggle with it.  For me it's the natural extension from my use of Gentoo, only much better.  Where I need/want to compile applications, I have the option.  Mostly I just use the (excellent) pacman to install the precompiled packages.  It's so much faster than anything I've used and in reality is faster to set up.

I am posting now because I was about to post a help request.  I've been using Arch for just over a year now on various systems (I build and sell some custom computers with Linux installed for a few people) and had NEVER had an issue that was not solved by reading the wiki or searching the forums.  I thought I had run into one, but as I was gathering the data and links to describe my problem, it was my lack of reading comprehension.  The problem was clearly in the wiki (it was compositing in KDE with multiple monitors) where I had skimmed instead of reading.

Thank you very much for the very best that Linux has to offer; speed, choice, and simplicity.  A double thanks to what you've given to Operating Systems at large; a yardstick by which to measure the community.  I used to think Ubuntu had a good community, but nobody tops Arch's wiki and forums for being the gleaming beakon of kindness, understanding, and knowledge sharing.

If I can ever contribute in the smallest way, I hope to.  I have so much to repay for all the free and loving help I've recieved without having to ask.

Thank you.

#371 2009-02-16 10:34:18

desm

Hello!
I was an ubuntu user. I still dual boot. But I doubt I'll be going back.
Arch Rocks!

#372 2009-02-16 11:02:44

el_zoona
Website

desm wrote:

Hello!
Arch Rocks!

[humor]For you to know, in Arch you may find a lot of great alternatives to those apps you used to run on Ubuntu. In fact, you can even mount you partition as if it was created by Arch (still in an early development stage, but quite stable and safe)! And be cool, you would still be able to chat with your friends, check you bank account and download photos from your cam.[/humor]

I forgot to say Hi when I get started here, so I do it now:

Hi everyone. Thanks to devs, thanks to forum & irc users for helping a lot (99.9% of time...they leave one of my questions with no answers...I'm still [m|s]ad :-D), anyway. again Hi everyone!

// Send more Chuck Berry

#373 2009-02-16 12:11:23

seppo0010

desm wrote:

Hello!
Arch Rocks!

QFT, exactly my status

Last edited by seppo0010 (2009-02-16 12:12:49)

#374 2009-02-16 22:06:25

Arisna

Hi everybody.  I ended up here after using Fedora, Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD over several years.  I always heard good things about Arch and now kind of wish I'd tried it sooner.  I have all of the features of my laptop working with minimal hassle, yet I've avoided running a bunch of junk I don't want.  Plus, I love tacos.

#375 2009-02-17 02:49:19

hobonix

Hello Everyone,

I found Arch a couple of years ago when noticed that so many of my Google searches landed me in these forums and wiki. I finally took a look; and, honestly I was intimidated. But, look at me now (YAH-HAH!) I'm an Arch user.

Installing Arch is part of my Quest for Linux Mastery, I am also currently struggling my way through The Advanced Bash Scripting Guide.

My ultimate goal is to make jokes in code. I want to tour the engineering college circuit as a stand-up comic. If any one has any suggestions for funny programming languages I would really appreciate them. I think Lisp is funny, double semi-colons and unmatched parentheses crack me up.

I think Lisp is funny, double semi-colons and unmatched parentheses crack me up.

Board footer