You are not logged in.

#3726 2014-02-10 10:19:22

sceox

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone smile

I have done a few Arch installations over the past year or so (on a raspberry pi, as a virtual machine, on a home server), but this week I finally went full-time Arch on my new desktop, and could hardly be happier. It is a really lovely OS and I have never seen such good documentation as on the arch wiki. Glad to be here!

#3727 2014-02-11 05:00:58

ryanjacobs
Website

Hi everyone!

I have been running Arch and other Linux distros on my computers for about 4 years now. I love the CLI interface because it is so well documented, intuitive, and stable. Previously, when I have had problems I refrained myself from shouting out onto the forums or something like StackOverflow. But, now, I think that I have decent grasp on Arch and other things Linux that I could possibly be able to help people now with the experience that I have.

In short, I'll hang around the forums and try to help as much as I can. smile

#3728 2014-02-11 18:12:00

finalfortune

Greetings, fellow Archinites

My quest for technological enlightenment has brought me to this wonderful operating system.  Long have I frolicked within the confinement of the OS that shall not be named.
I have attempted to mix with the Ubuntu commoners, much to my distaste. Not too soon after I was then lured by a Minty aroma, where I found temporary refuge and enjoyed the lack of adversity for some time.
Such comfort only fed the great void that is my curiosity, and so laying victim to that curiosity, I sought out to find the mighty Gentoo.  Having no idea where to begin, I consulted the sage Google, who handed me an ancient text,
transcribed in an ancient language unknown to me.  After some attempts at deciphering, I found my destination, and there was the beast.  I tried the best I could, trying to follow the little I had deciphered, but it was no use. After a moment of conflict,
the beast left me bruised and bloody, walking nonchalantly back to it's lair.  Realising that victory was far beyond reach,  I reluctantly made my way back to my confines.  Just before enshrouding myself in complete ignorance, I decided to consult
the great sage once more.  Understanding my plight, he gestured to a great rainbow engraved into the side of his home, unsure of what he had meant, I sought out a rainbow, which I never found.  It had soon hit me that it was not a rainbow, but an
arch.  An arch I had passed many times.  I quickly made my way to the arch, where a wise man waited.  He took me through the dense foliage, through which we finally came to a great library, a library with all the knowledge I had sought for.  Outside the
library was a vibrant community of true artisans, each one hard at work to make a masterpiece.  Every material and method used was to be found documented in the library. The wise man looked at me enjoying the awe on my face, and told me "this is the Arch way".
At that moment, I knew this is the place I always wanted to be...

Last edited by finalfortune (2014-02-11 18:18:11)

#3729 2014-02-11 18:44:07

drcouzelis
Website

finalfortune wrote:

Long have I frolicked within the confinement of the OS that shall not be named.

Ubuntemort?! yikes

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-02-11 18:47:02)

#3730 2014-02-11 18:59:46

finalfortune

drcouzelis wrote:
finalfortune wrote:

Long have I frolicked within the confinement of the OS that shall not be named.

Ubuntemort?! yikes

lol, no I'm talking about W....... cough, I'm afraid many baby pandas may die at the mere mention of its name.

#3731 2014-02-11 20:27:32

gaweph
Website

Hello,

This is my first post.  I'm about to install Arch over my Mint install.

Wish me luck!

#3732 2014-02-12 00:40:51

gaweph
Website

Success.  Here's a screenshot of me posting this message:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 … 8%3A12.png

I have a lot of work to get everything working, it actually wasn't too tricky. 

DOCUMENTATION IS AMAZING!!!  Thanks!

#3733 2014-02-12 01:24:01

mlightning

Hello,

I too have gone from ubuntu to mint only to land here. Glad to become part of this great family, and to thank everyone who has made this distro what it is!

#3734 2014-02-12 06:28:19

gcb

Hi everyone. long time debian user who started on slackware... whilling to give arch a go since everytime i search how to solve one problem i end up in a arch linux wiki! might as well use the distro smile

one complaint tho... the registration in the forum is kinda over the top... `date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'`? that required me to look up the man page of `date` online, see what %V was for, write Linux next to it and then look for sha encoder and get the first word... "Keep It Simple" uh? smile

a newb seeing that would either: 1) be turned away 2) get the idea that it is OK to just paste any bunch of commands he can't understand into the terminal. There is no good outcome sad

#3735 2014-02-12 06:47:24

ewaller
Administrator

gcb wrote:

one complaint tho... the registration in the forum is kinda over the top... `date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'`? that required me to look up the man page of `date` online, see what %V was for, write Linux next to it and then look for sha encoder and get the first word... "Keep It Simple" uh? smile

a newb seeing that would either: 1) be turned away 2) get the idea that it is OK to just paste any bunch of commands he can't understand into the terminal. There is no good outcome sad

You seem to have prevailed smile  Welcome to Arch!
You may have a point with your second assertion.  We have had serious problems with spam and trolls.  That challenge has been very effective at keeping the riff-raff at bay, really has not kept qualified prospective members away, and has generated more than its fair share of comments here and on the mail-lists.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3736 2014-02-12 09:48:11

x33a
Forum Fellow

gcb wrote:

Welcome to Arch

1) Regarding your first point, I would say if the registration question is able to turn away a prospective Arch user, then that user will probably be turned off by other Arch related things as well. Such as the installation wink, no auto-initialization of services, etc.

2) Again, if the person does this, he/she is likely to burn in the future. Granted that Arch wouldn't have any malicious code as its registration question. But by blindly doing this, the person will probably get callous in the future and start trusting such snippets of code irrespective of the source and potentially mess up the system.

Finally, there is a good outcome. See, you yourself learned a bunch of new stuff in the process.

Basically, you can see it as this: If a person is able to register on the forums and install Arch Linux, then he/she is probably good enough to use Arch Linux.

#3737 2014-02-12 12:27:10

Kux

Heya!

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

#3738 2014-02-12 15:19:08

drcouzelis
Website

ewaller wrote:

That challenge has been very effective at keeping the riff-raff at bay

Allan's still here. tongue

#3739 2014-02-15 16:49:09

HarlemSquirrel
Website

Hello, Arch world!  I begin using Linux with Ubuntu just briefly back in 2008, not knowing st all what the hell I was doing. I came back to it in 2011 as I got more frustrated with Windows and was looking to improve productivity in the school in which I teach. I have been using Linux since then to breath new life into desktops and laptops that were collecting dust in our school closets. I moved to Arch Linux at home in December of 2013 after a lot of reading and virtual box trials. So far I am loving Arch and her speed and versatility!  I am really learning a lot!

"Melody reigns supreme!"
    -J. J. Johnson

#3740 2014-02-17 00:47:46

espurio

Hello little ones,
live in a cage from a wicked witch locked me in it. used a strange spell ... I think "chroot" said.
Now that everything has been taken away vanal I'm happier than a cucumber

#3741 2014-02-17 02:13:17

drcouzelis
Website

espurio wrote:

Hello little ones,
live in a cage from a wicked witch locked me in it. used a strange spell ... I think "chroot" said.
Now that everything has been taken away vanal I'm happier than a cucumber

After 3741 posts I think you've won the thread. O_o

#3742 2014-02-17 22:05:13

Vi

Curiouser and curiouser, so many things to read, not enough time. ah well.

I'm Vi, not the text editor mind you, but a young man who went from windows to ubuntu, from ubuntu to KDE, back to ubuntu, then finally mint.  All within two years of having free reign of my own computer.

Honestly, installing arch took about 10 tries before I got it just right. I managed to destroy my old flash drive (may he RIP) while practicing before the big jump. but it was worthit and I'm getting everything set up as I type this. By the time I'm done I'll be making sure that everything is okay!

Also, running that : `date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g' in a virtual machine is a good idea, that's what I did and it came up with a string of numbers and letters. Didn't get the "Keep it simple" message, but still.

#3743 2014-02-19 02:09:22

mrknify

I love seeing all the interesting comments, the amazing flavour text and imagination that follows. I am about to re install arch for the 4th time. I have been trying different setups, taking time to feel out the different window managers. It has been quite a journey, one that I hope I can continue to learn the many nuances, the synergies of different configuration files and the beating heart of the kernel that drives this creature.

Thank you for being Arch.

LG x110-L.a7b2a9 16g sd card, Arch Linux.(he has xp, oz unity, oz ultimate.)
Asus U36JC plan for duel boot w7 with Arch

#3744 2014-02-19 09:40:59

Jipuf

Hello everybody! I'm Jipuf and it is my first post. I use linux for few years and Archlinux for few months and I hope I will still using the both for years! Arch provide us a limitless numerous of possibilities and I want to try the much I can.

#3745 2014-02-19 10:16:51

telpeloth

Hello, folks!
I am running Arch Linux for several years now, my last install has been done like 3 or 4 years ago and despite changing disks layout, introducing software raid, reverting it, changing root disk etc. has not been reinstalled -- that is the reason I am sticking with Arch, being a local Archolyte:)
I have finally registered on this forum, for I encountered an issue I can't fix on my own.

#3746 2014-02-19 20:36:34

AzizLight

Hello everybody,

I am new to ArchLinux, coming from OS X. I did use Linux distros before (Ubuntu, Mint then CrunchBang), and I even tried to install Arch back in the days (with no success unfortunately). I always wanted to use Arch, out of curiosity, and because I always liked the "cutting edge" philosophy. I finally did it!! big_smile And I'm loving it!

Github: @AzizLight
Twitter: @aziz_light

#3747 2014-02-19 20:50:28

kamelie1706

Hi everyone!

Tried linux from slackware/floppy 20 years ago, never really use once installed
Tried linux from suse/mandrake 15 years ago looked better but never got hooked
Tried linux from ubuntu 5 years ago and bingo became a linux fan!

Now this is time to move to arch and have converted already 2 machine including a 10 years old laptop. Do not plan to fight with install anymore :-)

#3748 2014-02-19 21:34:01

davidmp

Hey guys!

I'm a Debian user. I really love Arch, and have always wanted to try it. I am hoping if all goes well, to slowly convert all my installs to Arch.

#3749 2014-02-20 03:30:00

Gregorius62
Website

Hello. As a software developer, I've used Unix and Linux off and on for years, starting with BSD on a VAX-11/750, but I've only done a few installs. I ran Red Hat a little (in the pre-Fedora days) and I ran the first few releases of Ubuntu. I then got a MacBook about 6 years ago and didn't mess with Linux for a while. I'm now teaching some high school kids about Ubuntu using Virtual Box on the school's Windows PCs, but I want to try Arch to breath new life into my old MacBook. Mac OS is not what it used to be, and the latest software crawls on my old MacBook. I think setting up Arch will be a fun learning experience, although I think it will take a while to get everything installed, configured and working.

#3750 2014-02-20 03:45:15

Gregorius62
Website

By the way, the registration challenge was interesting. It reminded me of the Piers Anthony Xanth books I read years ago, where in order to enter the castle of the Good Magician Humphrey in order to get his help, you first had to overcome some challenge or riddle. That is how he kept the riff-raff from constantly bothering him with questions. Now that I've made it into the castle, I hope I'll be able to get help on any questions I might have.

Board footer