You are not logged in.

#3826 2014-03-18 12:47:02

drcouzelis
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

haydenvr wrote:

I've just installed Arch on my laptop, still in the process of setting it all up.

I'm in my fourth year of using Arch Linux and am still in the process of setting it up. big_smile

Welcome!

#3827 2014-03-18 14:37:57

decryptedepsilon

Hi Everyone,

I can proudly say that I have shifted to Arch Linux for good. My previous choice was Linux Mint. Although, I am quite happy with Linux Mint and Cinnamon, I am particularly not happy with the directions Clem is taking diverting completely from gnome-shell. I mean Cinnamon is a fork of gnome-shell but now they are developing it on their own not incorporating any Gnome love. I should have stuck with Gnome 3 since it's release but since it was so buggy it was very hard to stick with it. Back then, Cinnamon gave me nostalgic feelings about much loved Gnome 2 interface with all the new hot stuff of gnome-shell.

After using Linux Mint from its beginning constantly updating it three times in two years (like to be on the latest software), it seems cumbersome. Thus, I decided to shift to a rolling release distribution. Arch was the perfect choice as it's wiki is insanely detailed and very well documented. The package management and security concerns of the Arch Linux developers and maintainers are praiseworthy. Plus, the satisfaction and feeling when you have build your Linux from scratch is unimaginable and orgasmic. I have successfully set up my Laptop with Arch Linux and I was pretty bumped up when I configured the wi-fi access through wpa_supplicant.conf and then assigning ip using dhcpcd. It was so barebones and so awesome to download the base package and then install whatever I need.

I chose Gnome 3 period. It's modern and it was time that I should stick to something and I chose Gnome and Arch for that. I do like the stability and speed of XFCE but it does not have all the bells and whistles like Gnome 3.

To be concise, installing Arch and then stop worrying about upgrading the distribution is the best thing I have done. Ubuntu community now consists of majority of people who are theoretically, practically and literally newbies without any insights on the core of GNU/Linux whatsoever. I am afraid I was one of them and now am happy to be a Arch Linux user.

It's going to be a great start in the Arch community.

Many Thanks.

#3828 2014-03-18 15:24:07

drcouzelis
Website

decryptedepsilon wrote:

I chose Gnome 3 period. It's modern and it was time that I should stick to something and I chose Gnome and Arch for that. I do like the stability and speed of XFCE but it does not have all the bells and whistles like Gnome 3.

It's sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you've decided which user interface to use. wink It's OK to install GNOME or Cinnamon or XFCE or Mate, even all at the same time! It's easy to try something out and just uninstall it if you don't like it.

...just don't ever install FVWM. Seriously. mad

decryptedepsilon wrote:

Arch was the perfect choice as it's wiki is insanely detailed

That's because Arch Linux users are insane. Welcome to the club! big_smile

#3829 2014-03-18 15:55:37

VanillaFunk
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

Oh good, I'm glad thats common knowladge... big_smile big_smile

archx86_64 : awesomewm
https://github.com/dreemsoul

Remeber to feed the squirrels

#3830 2014-03-18 15:59:27

nomorewindows

VanillaFunk wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

Oh good, I'm glad thats common knowladge... big_smile big_smile

If we start forgetting how to update our systems, then there's a problem. 
But then there's the closed source method: Uh what's the site I goto from time to time to see if any update might be there?  Oh yeah that cleverly named site that is the same as the name of the program.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3831 2014-03-19 02:49:03

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Boy is it good to be back smile

Not sure how many of you remember who I am, but a couple years ago I took a "leave of absence" of sorts from Arch and the Linux community in general. School/work was becoming too much of a nuisance to be able to maintain a working system, and frankly I wanted something that "just worked" without too much hassle. After working as a TU for a few months and maintaining packages here and there, I resigned with the intention of one day coming back to it all.

I slowly drifted away from my interest in computers and programming, and spent an unreasonable large amount of time playing League of Legends. I was, for whatever reason, content with the sluggishness and out-of-the-box functionality of Windows 8. For one reason or another, Arch piqued my interest once again and I'm looking to get reacquainted with the system and the wonderful community that I left behind, maybe even in the hopes of one day reapplying to be a TU and picking up where I left off.

Sorry for the wall of text, it just feels great to be back. Oh, and if you don't mind, could one of you bring me up to speed on what has even happened over the past few years? Last I remember the Gnome community was completely butthurt over Gnome 3, is that still a thing?

#3832 2014-03-19 02:52:00

VanillaFunk
Website

Hey welcome back!! I did not know you as I have joined the community withen the last year but cheers!

#3833 2014-03-19 02:56:06

ewaller
Administrator

Brad,
Damn, it is good to see you back!  How is school going? 
I had always been impressed by you.  What happened to your interest in learning, was it Dutch? Or Norwegian?
Sorry about that winter you've been having up there big_smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3834 2014-03-19 03:01:09

karol
Archivist

itsbrad212 wrote:

Last I remember the Gnome community was completely butthurt over Gnome 3, is that still a thing?

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1394132 + the next post :-)

ewaller wrote:

I had always been impressed by you.  What happened to your interest in learning, was it Dutch? Or Norwegian?

Danish?

Welcome back :-)

#3835 2014-03-19 03:18:07

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

VanillaFunk wrote:

Hey welcome back!! I did not know you as I have joined the community withen the last year but cheers!

Hey thanks, nice to meet you man!

ewaller wrote:

Damn, it is good to see you back!  How is school going? 
Sorry about that winter you've been having up there

Damn it's been too long ewaller, how've you been? smile School's been going well for me, and the weather...well you can thank public enemy #1 for that one.

karol wrote:

Danish?

Ah, the one person I'd hoped would see this post (og ja, du er korrekt). Thanks for the warm welcome! Also... http://i.imgur.com/3LihDCi.png

karol wrote:

So people are just as divided as they were upon release? That's a shame, I just installed it and it feels pretty sleek. :X

#3836 2014-03-19 03:42:23

karol
Archivist

itsbrad212 wrote:
karol wrote:

Danish?

Ah, the one person I'd hoped would see this post (og ja, du er korrekt).

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 41#p972241
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 20#p972720
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 32#p972932

@ewaller
The only Dutch thing somewhat related to Brad I can recall is https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 76#p729876 + https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 93#p730293 :-)

itsbrad212 wrote:
karol wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Actually, I think we are too easy on you. You deserve harsh punishment for leaving us for so long.
ewaller, I think Brad is the perfect candidate for the grand opening of the new forum section we talked about: 'Community Contritions'.
Brad, once the section is up, I expect you to start a thread there and profusely apologize for your unscrupulous behavior.

#3837 2014-03-19 03:49:03

VanillaFunk
Website

karol wrote:

the grand opening of the new forum section we talked about: 'Community Contritions'.

Will there be comfy chairs and soft cushions to use until we confess?

( couldnt resist ) smile smile

#3838 2014-03-19 08:41:32

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

itsbrad212 wrote:
karol wrote:

So people are just as divided as they were upon release? That's a shame, I just installed it and it feels pretty sleek. :X

We all have our preferences. People should use what works best for them. smile

Welcome back to Arch!

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3839 2014-03-20 02:41:00

sashka76

http://www.sashap.net/archlinux.html

Moderator comment. [ewaller] I am not quite sure to do with this post.  Interesting first post, Welcome to Arch Linux.  Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread

Last edited by ewaller (2014-03-20 03:00:24)

#3840 2014-03-20 12:48:45

cafe

Dear ArchLinux Community,

I've installed Arch last month and I've got to say that I'm very pleased with this distro. I've learned so much during the installation and while setting up my computer. The wiki is really great, up-to-date and well organized and that counts a lot for me. As I set up my computer, I try to keep things simple and beautiful at the same time. ArchLinux allows me to do things like having LXDE with the GALA window manager without too much hassle. The AUR is a fantastic community feature and it works great!

I'm particularly interested in the evolution of graphical environemnts for linux distributions. I've been following the devellopment of Wayland and Mir for some time now and I hope we can achieve great things for everyone in the near future. As always, discussion is one essential feature of the community and I hope I can meet the high standards that I see in the ArchLinux forums.

Without any further delay, I'd like to thank all ArchLinux devellopers for the phenomenal work done here,
Cheers,

#3841 2014-03-21 22:43:00

Astroarch

Hello guys,
I am a new fresh user of Archlinux.
Actually this is the second time I try to use it because in the past I was troubling with the installation and the use of it.
Then I passed to some coocked distro based on Archlinux (like Archbang) but, after years, I had the desire to start from the beginning and enjoy the real Arch-Philosophy, then here I am.
Sorry for my username but there was a mistale meanwhile I was registering. Shall I contact a moderator to change it?

By the way, I run an Archlinux over my SONY VAIO. My gnome2 passion pushed me to use Mate (loving it) but the rest is still ongoing to reach the target of the perfect suitable (for me) operative system.
I hope to give and receive a lot from this forum.

Greetings.

#3842 2014-03-21 22:50:59

ewaller
Administrator

Astroarcha114e11267c9a4f,
As you've but one post, I think we can work something out.  It might require more power than I have.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#3843 2014-03-21 23:18:54

Astroarch

ewaller wrote:

Astroarcha114e11267c9a4f,
As you've but one post, I think we can work something out.  It might require more power than I have.

What do you mean? That I need to reach a minimum number of posts to change my user or that you need a lot of effort to do it?
I am sorry for my mistake. Temporarily is not a problem for me (actually my earlier idea was Astroarch), but with time could be.
I think even people from Papua have not such a long name big_smile

#3844 2014-03-21 23:21:25

ewaller
Administrator

No, I meant that your request is reasonable.  As a moderator, I do not have the power to help you.  I dropped a note for an administrator; they have stronger magic than do I.

---

#3845 2014-03-21 23:30:05

karol
Archivist

An admin? Really? How 'bout just some tipp-ex?

Last edited by karol (2014-03-21 23:30:19)

#3846 2014-03-22 00:20:45

frank604

karol wrote:

So that's the real name of whiteout... learning something even in the hello thread

#3847 2014-03-22 00:23:35

karol
Archivist

frank604 wrote:
karol wrote:

So that's the real name of whiteout... learning something even in the hello thread

Nah, both tipp-ex and whiteout are brand names of the correction fluid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correction … ble_brands

EditL Oooops. The brand name is 'Wite-Out'., so you were correct ;P

Last edited by karol (2014-03-22 00:24:33)

#3848 2014-03-22 01:10:27

karol
Archivist

I went through your recent posts and it didn't seem like they were written by a 16 year-old ...
We're the same age, I can't even do simple maths, so I guess I'm past my prime - and definitely past my bed time.

Sorry for the noise and good night.

#3849 2014-03-22 01:17:39

frank604

karol wrote:

I went through your recent posts and it didn't seem like they were written by a 16 year-old ...
We're the same age, I can't even do simple maths, so I guess I'm past my prime - and definitely past my bed time.

Sorry for the noise and good night.

LOL.  You have to imagine my shock when I thought you were 64 years old with so much agility to out post many of us on the forums.  Inside my head I was saying, "rock on grandpa, rock on"

#3850 2014-03-22 01:26:16

karol
Archivist

bernarcher seems to be doing fine: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 76#p975876 and he is ~ 68yo.
And then there's lilsirecho https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 71#p975871

Board footer