You are not logged in.

#3951 2014-05-05 08:19:47

farco

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everybody,

Just ditched Windows for Arch last week. I've had little experience in Linux, except for the times when I chose Linux when I needed a virtual server.
Arch has been a little overwhelming, but it's starting to get better. I know the stuff that I'm installing in my machine, I know why it crashes, and I know how to fix it when it does.

This is such a good feeling. I know I'm years from fully appreciating Arch, but at least I'm already enjoying it now.

Best regards,
Farco

Last edited by farco (2014-05-05 08:20:46)

#3952 2014-05-05 20:09:00

man0riaX
Banned

Hi,

migrated from Ubuntu a few weeks ago and love it so far! Just wanted to say hello. smile

Phil

#3953 2014-05-06 23:18:53

neptune12100

Hi!

Been using Linux for a few years, ever since I found a copy of Red Hat Linux 8 Unleashed at the Salvation Army, I've been addicted.
Decided a few weeks ago Fedora was just too slow, so here I am.
Also, rolling updates are sexy.

Last edited by neptune12100 (2014-05-06 23:21:06)

class Fixnum; def + x; self - x; end; end

#3954 2014-05-07 08:12:01

salafrance

Hello new people!

#3955 2014-05-07 16:23:56

adhocinfinitum

Hi everyone,

Just a quick hello and a huge thanks to everyone who's been working hard on developing and maintaining Arch.

I've now installed arch arm on a raspberry pi and more recently on a lenovo X61 (model number 7675-CTO if you're curious) ultrabook. I meant originally to just have Arch to mess around with, but after a few days of setting it up and customizing, I can't think of any reason other than Microsoft Word (I do professional copyediting that sometimes requires surprisingly subtle formatting, and also rely on the track changes feature to communicate with clients) to keep Windows around.

I'm consistently impressed by both the quality of the material available for beginners like myself on the wiki, and how simple the arch operating system is to administer. I've been a linux dilletante since my mid teens when I inherited a 100s-MHz tower and a RedHat install CD from an older brother.

I'm right now in the middle of a computer science degree, and I look forward to contributing to the community as soon as I figure out how I can help out!

#3956 2014-05-07 17:02:24

kmmcd

Hi everyone, just bought a new T440s and moved from debian to arch.... so far so good, the hardware is pretty new so most things took some configuration before working properly.  Still working the kinks out...

Miles better than the OEM install of Windows 8.

#3957 2014-05-08 18:12:32

nomorewindows

kmmcd wrote:

Hi everyone, just bought a new T440s and moved from debian to arch.... so far so good, the hardware is pretty new so most things took some configuration before working properly.  Still working the kinks out...

Miles better than the OEM install of Windows 8.

What?  You didn't want to have to do a complete reinstall just to update to 8.1?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3958 2014-05-09 13:08:32

p5ych00n5

Greetings from Australia

p5ych00n5 here,hope I can be a very productive member and teach as much as I learn

#3959 2014-05-09 13:24:44

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome!

p5ych00n5 wrote:

p5ych00n5 here,hope I can be a very productive member and teach as much as I learn

You can teach me: In Australia, is a network "router" pronounced "rooter" or "rowter"? As the only System Administrator in the US who pronounces it "rooter" I get teased a lot, even though it's an accepted (maybe even MORE accepted) pronunciation!

Ah, well. Although technically inaccurate, I usually just try to avoid the situation by calling it a "switch". tongue

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-12-22 13:46:07)

#3960 2014-05-10 07:17:34

phantome

Hello from Greece. I switched to Arch last week (although I'm not new to linux). I'm a linux user since before 2000's (around '95) big_smile
Arch seems very sexy big_smile

#3961 2014-05-12 16:41:15

mills.sean

Hello World.

Arch user since around November/December of last year. Converted over from openSuse.
Love it, there is no looking back.

#3962 2014-05-12 16:41:50

mills.sean

drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome!

p5ych00n5 wrote:

You can teach me: In Australia, is network "router" pronounced "rooter" or "rowter"? As the only System Administrator in the US who pronounces it "rooter" I get teased a lot, even though it's an accepted (mayeb even MORE accepted) pronunciation!

Ah, well. Although technically inaccurate, I usually just try to avoid the situation by calling it a "switch". tongue

I hope you know that in Australia, the verb 'to root', does not mean to cheer a team on! lol
While I don't know any sys admins in Oz, based on that I can only imagine they steer clear of 'rooters'... lest they be rooted!

#3963 2014-05-12 17:32:09

drcouzelis
Website

mills.sean wrote:

I hope you know that in Australia, the verb 'to root', does not mean to cheer a team on! lol
While I don't know any sys admins in Oz, based on that I can only imagine they steer clear of 'rooters'... lest they be rooted!

I've got it all figured out:

• If I'm talking to an Aussie, I take a root to Springfield to pick up a rowter.

• If I'm talking to a Brit, I take a root to Springfield to pick up a rooter.

• If I'm talking to an American, I take a rowt to Springfield to pick up a rowter.

• If I'm by myself, I sit in a corner and weep as I think about the state of the English language.

#3964 2014-05-12 17:45:24

ewaller
Administrator

drcouzelis wrote:

If I'm by myself, I sit in a corner and weep as I think about the state of the English language

Ah, don't worry about; just keep your pecker up
tongue

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3965 2014-05-12 17:45:48

nomorewindows

drcouzelis wrote:
mills.sean wrote:

• If I'm talking to an Aussie, I take a root to Springfield to pick up a rowter.

• If I'm talking to an American, I take a rowt to Springfield to pick up a rowter.

• If I'm by myself, I sit in a corner and weep as I think about the state of the English language.

What happens when you login as 'root'?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3966 2014-05-13 21:16:05

ViperDRS

Hello,
I'm installing Arch on an old laptop for fun/education.   It drives me crazy that hardware so much faster, with so much more RAM and hard drive space that we would have thought it to be a product of science fiction, yet the computing experience doesn't feel like it has gotten much faster.  I believe there is a lot of eye candy and bloat with most OS's today. 
I want to learn to create a lean, fast, stable Linux install for myself.

I look forward to people's help.

#3967 2014-05-14 15:32:15

Ailen

My biggest motivator to moving to Arch was poor backup practices under Win7. My hard drive crashed and i didnt have a system image to recover my OEM win7 system on the new harddrive... So I said to hell with it and went hunting for a distro of Linux to use fulltime. I had used Linux Mint and its predecessors while first learning Linux but they definitely had a 'newbie' feel to them. Breezing through the Arch installation, I definitely don't feel like a newbie to Linux (Even though the Wiki explains it so well my grandmother could probably kludge through it with little problem.)

I now have it set up on both of my systems. A desktop I pieced together from online vendors originally running Ubuntu 13.10 and the Win7 Dell Inspiron 15r notebook. Everything about my experience with Arch so far has been encouraging and it's already become my favorite of the linux distros i've used. I can't wait to share my knowledge and experience with the rest of the community.

#3968 2014-05-14 16:02:14

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

Ailen wrote:

My hard drive crashed and i didnt have a system image to recover my OEM win7 system on the new harddrive...

You mean because modern computers don't come with a copy of Windows on a disc? Ooh, that trend makes me so mad!

#3969 2014-05-14 19:07:18

Ailen

drcouzelis wrote:

You mean because modern computers don't come with a copy of Windows on a disc? Ooh, that trend makes me so mad!

Yeah that does make me a bit angry. I paid for the software why do I have to go through a whole song and dance just to reinstall your OS?

#3970 2014-05-14 22:00:47

CSCoder4ever

Ailen wrote:

Yeah that does make me a bit angry. I paid for the software why do I have to go through a whole song and dance just to reinstall your OS?

plus the holy activation ritual, biggest reason I left windows right there.

Desktop: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill DDR4 RAM @ 3600MHz CL16 | 500GB 980 pro NVMe SSD, several Sata SSDs | Arch Linux x86_64 w/ awesomeWM
Keebs: ID75 w/ Kailh Speed Navy's w/ GMK Laser

#3971 2014-05-16 08:32:43

marcm

nomorewindows wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:
mills.sean wrote:

Ha!  As an American (from North Dakota):

• my postal address growing up was "rural rowt 7a"

• I get my kicks on "root 66"

• the Linux superuser is "ruht" (by "uh", I mean the "oo" in "book" or "foot")

• the top of my house is the "ruhf"

Anyway, I'm a long-time Linux user, but new to Arch Linux.  I've just finished a headless install via ssh on my Asus eeePC 901.  I broke the screen a while back, and decided to re-purpose it as a headless server, rather than replace the LCD.  Headless install presents challenges, but, minor inconveniences aside, the Arch Linux install was probably the simplest I've ever done.  With any other distro, I'm sure I'd either still be working on it, or have given up in frustration.  Kudos to the Arch Linux team for creating a simple yet powerful Linux distro, and for allowing me to put my damaged machine to good use.

#3972 2014-05-16 08:39:36

marcm

marcm wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

Anyway, I'm a long-time Linux user, but new to Arch Linux.  I've just finished a headless install via ssh on my Asus eeePC 901.  I broke the screen a while back, and decided to re-purpose it as a headless server, rather than replace the LCD.  Headless install presents challenges, but, minor inconveniences aside, the Arch Linux install was probably the simplest I've ever done.  With any other distro, I'm sure I'd either still be working on it, or have given up in frustration.  Kudos to the Arch Linux team for creating a simple yet powerful Linux distro, and for allowing me to put my damaged machine to good use.

Oops, and also:  a "rowder" is a machine that "rowts" packets.

#3973 2014-05-16 11:26:18

nomorewindows

marcm wrote:
marcm wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:

Oops, and also:  a "rowder" is a machine that "rowts" packets.

Since electronics and plumbing essentially use the same diagrams, what happens when you get a clog?  You call roto rooter.

Look ma, no mouse.

#3974 2014-05-16 12:49:15

Hello everyone,

I'm using ARCH for quiet a while now on my Laptop. It was just to try a new distro besides ubuntu (which was my first distribution) - and it worked/works really well! I'm learning much by using the wiki (which is really great!).
My current project is a mini-server with arch (ARM) on a cubietruck - and its going well, too.

The rest of the time I am a student who got his bachelors degree in physics and is now going towards computersimulation stuff.

#3975 2014-05-17 07:16:15

ravis

Hello everyone.

Few years back I was using Windows. I moved to Ubuntu then. And now it's time to level up!

Arch Linux is giving me pretty much pain starting from installation/grub menu/getting the system up to cracking the painful registration question of ArchLinux forums. I am still struggling and here to get many answers. (I've just finished my installation. Only.)

But I don't think I'm gonna give up on it. Looking forward to Arch!

Cheers.
Ravi

What if the cure for cancer is trapped inside the mind of someone who can't afford an education?

Board footer