You are not logged in.

#3976 2014-05-17 12:15:33

drcouzelis
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

ravis wrote:

Arch Linux is giving me pretty much pain starting from installation/grub menu/getting the system up to cracking the painful registration question of ArchLinux forums. I am still struggling and here to get many answers. (I've just finished my installation. Only.)

Arch Linux will only make MORE sense the more you use it, so that's good. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-05-17 12:15:48)

#3977 2014-05-19 12:19:20

encryptolic

Hello everyone!
Just another Arch Linux newbie...

I had been Windows fan  for years until recently, I tried to ubuntu. I was quite impressed with ubuntu, it made me decided to switch completely to Linux. However, only after a few days, it felt slow, bloated for an OS (even worse than windows), not to mention it froze my laptop dozens of time. I then looked for something minimalistic, yet easy to set up. That's how I met Arch, just few weeks ago.

I realized, I felt in love with this OS (and its wiki). To me, it is even much easier to use than ubuntu. In Ubuntu, when something crashes, usually I have absolutely no idea how to fix and probably will give up after a few hours. Same to windows. In Arch, most of the time I know where the problem comes from, because I got to know the system via step-by-step installation, and there are probably not that many packages to look at.

Above all, Arch feels fast! I used Ubuntu on my laptop, currently using CentOS on my headless homeserver. They are sometimes so sluggish that I can lose my patience. Anyways, it's perhaps just my feeling.

#3978 2014-05-21 01:47:56

el_rey

Hello!
Got arch installed on VirtualBox with an Asus G74 running Mint as the host machine (did I word that right? ha). Many, many thanks to all those who contribute to the Wiki, particularly the beginners guide.  I've probably learned more about Linux today than I have in the past six months.

#3979 2014-05-21 20:35:33

m1st3rkr3p

el_rey wrote:

Hello!
Got arch installed on VirtualBox with an Asus G74 running Mint as the host machine (did I word that right? ha). Many, many thanks to all those who contribute to the Wiki, particularly the beginners guide.  I've probably learned more about Linux today than I have in the past six months.

Keep using arch and you will see how much you will learn.

#3980 2014-05-21 23:35:44

bdantas

I'm a medical doctor (pathologist) and linux enthusiast. I used Ubuntu (until Unity) then Linux Mint for a combined total of about 3 years until I got my LPIC-1 certificate earlier this year. The experience of studying for the certification and passing the tests gave me the courage to switch to a rolling-release distro.

I know this is not supposed to be an "Arch rocks!" thread, but I must say that the wiki, repositories, philosophy (the Arch Way), and package manager are all *quite* impressive. Once I considered these, the choice between Arch, Debian Testing, and Gentoo (the three rolling-release distros I was considering) became quite clear and I went with Arch. I installed it about a month ago and am now enjoying my dream desktop system.

I'd like to second el_rey and say a big thank you to the wiki writers and editors. The Beginner's Guide, in particular, was invaluable in its role as a springboard.

Thank you all. I'll see you around in the forums, AUR, and bug reports.

Last edited by bdantas (2014-05-21 23:47:04)

#3981 2014-05-22 00:50:44

nomorewindows

bdantas wrote:

I'm a medical doctor (pathologist) and linux enthusiast. I used Ubuntu (until Unity) then Linux Mint for a combined total of about 3 years until I got my LPIC-1 certificate earlier this year. The experience of studying for the certification and passing the tests gave me the courage to switch to a rolling-release distro.

Are you using the LPIC?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3982 2014-05-22 01:05:57

bdantas

Lots since switching to Arch smile But I'm sure that's not how you meant the question.

Professionally, not at all. The computers at the hospital run Win7 and are locked down pretty good--the most I can get away with is AutoHotkey, some .bat files, and portable apps. It drives me crazy. I run Slitaz in QEMU from a thumbdrive when I absolutely need a linux fix while at work.

I actually studied for the test and got the certificate just for the challenge and fun of it. I wanted to go onto LPIC-2 but my wife won't let me. She actually calls linux my "girlfriend."

Last edited by bdantas (2014-05-22 01:13:41)

#3983 2014-05-22 01:41:48

nomorewindows

bdantas wrote:

Professionally, not at all. The computers at the hospital run Win7 and are locked down pretty good--the most I can get away with is AutoHotkey, some .bat files, and portable apps. It drives me crazy. I run Slitaz in QEMU from a thumbdrive when I absolutely need a linux fix while at work.

Sounds like stuff that doesn't require certs on that job for the MS side of things.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3984 2014-05-23 08:08:10

mlerota

Long time Debian/Mint user. Now Arch fan...

#3985 2014-05-25 08:56:36

xaris

Hi everyone! I am Harris from Greece. I 've been using linux for many years but I am an Arch newbie.. I 've started using Ubuntu (liked the community very much) ... continued with  debian (liked the stability) ...and the last few years I loved the minimalism of Crunchbang. Each linux step is closest in understanding linux and now  probably this is my last step. Glad to be here.

Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability.

#3986 2014-05-28 16:16:36

LastBadgerStanding

G'day all.  I came across Arch when trying to salvage a Debian installation on an ultra-green Pogoplug box.  I was having trouble getting the Debian upgraded to a newer system, then found the Arch support for Pogoplug and installed that instead.  I don't know if it's because of the 3.x kernel or a smarter configuration or what, but the new installation runs a helluva lot faster on that lightweight hardware, and the rolling nature of Arch suggests I might be able to keep this installation running and updated a lot longer.

Since then I've also made my first Arch desktop install and am fighting with a few details (am about to post about one of those issues in the newb section) but am mostly pleased with the sense of "nothing running that I don't want running."

I like a minimal environment: fluxbox, no graphical file manager, all apps tied to keyboard shortcuts.

#3987 2014-05-28 16:26:55

manohar

Hello Everyone

#3988 2014-05-28 22:56:19

rsrsl

Hello all!
This is my first post on the ArchLinux forum... I really think there will be alot more in the next days smile

Have a nice one and see you around!

#3989 2014-05-29 21:58:07

xero
Website

hey!
i'm a 1 y/o linux user. i finally got the courage to install arch on my UEFI laptop today. i took me 5 tries (understanding and setting up LVM was tricky), but i finally succeeded! i got x & awesome to start, so now i need to figure out the AUR and build my perfect system big_smile

thanx for all the hard work from the developers and the community!

install arch linux manually: +1 beard point

Last edited by xero (2014-05-29 21:58:37)

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
http://git.io/.files

#3990 2014-05-29 23:37:55

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I spend most of my Arch time on the wiki, but I thought I'd say Hi.

Before Arch I've used Debian and CentOS in its various flavors; my current setup is a minimal install with i3. It comes as a pleasant surprise what it can do with those few added layers of complexity.

Cheers,
Alad

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3991 2014-05-30 03:08:58

ErdMutter92

Hello Arch Community, I Alexis and I have been a Linux user on and off for the past several years. I'm 22 years of as of posting, and still making my way though college to become a Geologist with a Computer Science background.

Like many newbs to Linux I started out with a Ubuntu install. I've learned much since then, and most of the knowledge I acquired was after I found the Arch Linux Wiki. It was not until much reading did I even attempt to install Arch on my system, which by then was a Macbook Pro 9,2 (mid 2012). It has taken several re-installs to get things working nicely. The reason for the reinstalls many of the times was me being sick and tired of one thing breaking and fixing it to only break another... It was always the little things that messed with me. Even so often I would revert back to Ubuntu (Kubuntu to be exact, because I can't stand unity). It is only now that I have learned enough to feel as though I have gotten mostly everything running smoothly, and feel confident enough to keep my computer running day to day, week to week.

I hope that by becoming an active member in the community that I can learn even more. After all the manual can only take you so far, even one so well documented as the arch wiki.

TLDR: I'm Alexis, i've been using linux for some time now. Took several attempts at Arch to feel comfortable. Learned a lot. Still have a lot to learn.

- ErdMutter

#3992 2014-05-30 14:19:42

hramy

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie Arch user and a potential big fan of it !
I began with Ubuntu and worked with it for about 2years, then i had a hard moment choosing the next distro, 'till i decided to take the risks and try Arch, and it was a pretty good decision !
Hope to learn a lot from the developers here !

See you around

#3993 2014-05-31 04:06:45

Roby

Hello!

My *nix experience has been pretty jumpy. I've been on an off it and switched between a few distros. I've mostly used LMDE, Ubuntu and Debian (shortly).

I had Arch installed a little over a year ago and loved it. I had some network issues that I could not resolve after days of research so I ended up throwing an out of the box distro on my system.

Shortly after distro hopping for a bit, I was hearing some good things about Manjaro. It sounded perfect! It was a lot of the things I love about Arch with an out of the box experience. I decided to give that a go.

A few hours after installing it I began having nostalgia about my old Arch install. It was snappier, less bloated, and the whole idea was cooler to me. I wanted to learn more about linux.

So I decided (last night) to try and install it again. It's probably more than 24 hours later now (minus having to go to work) and I'm glad to say I finally have a working installation. I think I went through the process 3 times and finally am able to boot into my DE. Now I'm just configuring some stuff and downloading missing pieces like a browser etc.

I'm excited to be back!

#3994 2014-05-31 14:58:33

m1st3rkr3p

Roby wrote:

Hello!

My *nix experience has been pretty jumpy. I've been on an off it and switched between a few distros. I've mostly used LMDE, Ubuntu and Debian (shortly).

I had Arch installed a little over a year ago and loved it. I had some network issues that I could not resolve after days of research so I ended up throwing an out of the box distro on my system.

Shortly after distro hopping for a bit, I was hearing some good things about Manjaro. It sounded perfect! It was a lot of the things I love about Arch with an out of the box experience. I decided to give that a go.

A few hours after installing it I began having nostalgia about my old Arch install. It was snappier, less bloated, and the whole idea was cooler to me. I wanted to learn more about linux.

So I decided (last night) to try and install it again. It's probably more than 24 hours later now (minus having to go to work) and I'm glad to say I finally have a working installation. I think I went through the process 3 times and finally am able to boot into my DE. Now I'm just configuring some stuff and downloading missing pieces like a browser etc.

I'm excited to be back!

Welcome back to Arch!!

#3995 2014-05-31 22:19:36

runical

Hey all!

I've been using Arch for almost 2 years now, but I never really needed to use the forums. Most of the time my problems were already on the forums or on the marvelous wiki. Since I have more time on my hands now, I will be posting more often and try to solve the problems of other users.

My linux adventure started in 2010. A friend of mine was running Ubuntu on his laptop and I got interested in linux. After playing around with linux on my desktop and in VMs and enough crashes in Windows (many of which were my own fault, but windows has a tendency to not work the way I like it tongue), I finally decided to install Linux Mint on my laptop. I found that I booted into linux more often than not, but it still didn't work the way I liked it. When a friend of mine mentioned Arch an I tried it, I was sold. Pacman is great, the documentation is great and the system is relatively simple. Loved it and I haven't used a different distro on my laptop since (even though there were a few reinstalls in the meantime. I have a tendency to break things and not always enough knowledge/time to fix them).

So, I hope to see you guys on the forums (and mailing list).

runical

#3996 2014-06-03 17:18:09

omprakash

this is awsome ...

#3997 2014-06-04 09:34:16

barrikad

Hello, my name is barrikad and I am an Archoholic.

Gives me the level of tinkering I want with a philosophy I agree with.

#3998 2014-06-04 19:23:05

nomorewindows

barrikad wrote:

Hello, my name is barrikad and I am an Archoholic.

Gives me the level of tinkering I want with a philosophy I agree with.

Welcome to Archoholics Anonymous!

Look ma, no mouse.

#3999 2014-06-06 07:43:48

caravanlizzy

hye ho everyone,

im lizzy sticking around wiht arch since 2 weeks and its fun, though im still a noob, but i already seem to have the quickest OS ever used...it began with my slow netbook, just need something that made it work well. but now im gonna install it to my big pc too...=)

#4000 2014-06-06 19:08:08

brainwave

Hello Everyone!
I am brainwave. That's not my real name but then, with this bad world, who would want to give the real name anyway. Have been using some GNU/Linux as my primary OS for past four years. But I am pretty new to arch. First install I didn't like it, quit arch. Didn't do it the right way, the Arch Way. The second time, a couple of years of Ubuntu later, I installed it for a second time and this time did it the right way. Now I simply love arch. The primary reason is the amazing user base and the terrific wiki. The OS itself is superb, efficient no bloat and very much under my control. Regarding the forums and the community, it's just like a family out here. Problems get solved in a jiffy.

Just yesterday, did a tricky install of arch on my new Macbook Air and boy Apple makes good hardware. wink Loving the Air and loving Arch on it! An OS I love on a machine that's simply engineered to perfection. Hope to contribute a lot over time to Arch, especially to how it functions on the macs.

So, Hi guys. Hoping to have an awesome time here for the rest of my life.
big_smile

Board footer