You are not logged in.

#4126 2014-08-19 17:27:07

undersound

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone,

First time Arch user here. I like the freedom it gives me over my system.
Seeing the hardware info option in the setup menu felt I made the right choice already.

Still some struggles with networking and display but I am here to learn.

Greets
Undersound

#4127 2014-08-19 19:58:20

karol
Archivist

@drcouzelis
His previous post is written in OK English https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1448375 so I don't think he's using machine translation.
I've heard about the Green Hornet, but I don't recall any green spiders.

#4128 2014-08-19 23:20:11

jedi

Hello to the great and wondrous Arch community!  Best 'wiki' ever?  Anyway, I've only been playing with it a few days now and am seriously impressed!
I love that the only packages installed are the ones that I have put there.  I have a T400 Thinkpad with a 256Gb SSD drive and 8Gbs of RAM.  This baby hums right along with the latest Arch installed.  I have Arch installed with Fluxbox.  It is grrrreat!

(on a side note, I have been banned from the #archlinux channel.  I don't believe i've ever even posted in there, and was wondering what I need to do to be able to get in again?  I think they thought I was a "bot")

-- wow it really is broken

#4129 2014-08-20 07:29:03

decoder55

Hey! Hello everyone. I'm very new here and i would like to meet nice people here and learn as much as i can. I joined here because i want to get involved and contribute to some free software and i think Arch Linux is pretty cool.

I'm programmer so i hope i can write some code someday here.

Hello again! wink

#4130 2014-08-20 16:01:10

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

jedi wrote:

on a side note, I have been banned from the #archlinux channel.  I don't believe i've ever even posted in there, and was wondering what I need to do to be able to get in again?  I think they thought I was a "bot"

Have you followed the instructions found here? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IRC_Channel If you still can't access it then please contact one of the IRC administrators.

Also, are you a bot? yikes

#4131 2014-08-21 00:39:23

Rethil

Hello!

I'm full time openSUSE user and recently I was forced by my laptop hardware to search for more 'fresh' distro. So now I'm here, typing on my ASUS powered by Arch Linux. I must say, that I'm really impressed so far. No major problems encountered, wiki is crystal clear and rich, installation was fast and smooth.

English is not my native language so I'm not-too-good english speaker.

Regards.

#4132 2014-08-21 13:52:12

Whiskers

I just spotted a question I might have a sensible answer for, so thought it was about time I registered here  smile

I've been enjoying Arch Linux for some time, gradually building my knowledge and confidence; Mandrake 9 was my first distro, and I still have a fondness for its descendants, but prefer the control and clarity of Arch now that I've outgrown the gentle introduction to Linux provided by Mandr[ake|iva].

Oh, and thanks for all the help in these forums and in the great Wiki - all my questions so far, have already been answered smile)

#4133 2014-08-22 23:24:53

phro
Website

Hello!

I come from the OS X platform; and after a summer job that comprised a *lot* of command line work/ general computer grokking, I wanted to find an operating system better suited towards this. Since, by its very nature, installing Arch Linux requires that you learn about the inner workings of an operating system, I thought it would make a nice next step smile

#4134 2014-08-24 14:09:59

warkanum
Website

Hello Penguin worshipers. I'm an average lazy person when it comes to common tasks, hence the reason I became a programmer. You see, I became familiar with Linux when my school teacher used Gentoo, dd and netcat to load 20+ machines with Linux and Windows 2000 filesystems in one blow. This was something very cool for me back then. So I wanted linux to play with. My very first experience was Gentoo, but it was hard since I had no internet at home and had to wait for school to download the package files I required. I live in South Africa by the way. It took me weeks and I finally gave up, then I got my hand on some OpenSuse discs. My first desktop was KDE with Suse and I started using linux for my projects and school work. Finally when I got internet access later on, I attempted Gentoo again. I learned how linux worked the hard way. Now years later after trying lots of distros, still loving Gentoo. I found Arch and I'm switching to Arch. Well done people, this is a nice distribution and I like it so far. Will see if it replaces my Gentoo/Ubuntu servers some day; my desktops are Arch. Also, I just like to point out that because of the Linux Action Show and jupiterbroadcasting.com I found Arch, the shows managed to convince me to try it.

Thanks,
Warkanum

Perfection. That's what it's about. It's those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to. "Galactica"

#4135 2014-08-24 15:54:40

pathetos
Website

Hi everyone! My name's Rob Vergara, and I've been unsing Gnu/Linux for 14 years, since Debian Potato days. Not the first time I use Arch, but first time I decided to use it as my main OS (Well, I'm actually using Parabola.)
I'm pretty impressed by the quality and simplicity of documentation, and wiki in general, and how simple is to use and administrate Arch.
I have installed in an old EasyNote laptop, used for work (I'm a professor), networking, and amateur live music recording (Band rehearsals, not advanced MIDI).

Greetings from Chile!

#4136 2014-08-24 17:49:34

lachokds

Hi everyone!

My name is Jonathan Villatoro, nick is lachokds, and I've been using Arch since about March 2014 after I finally decided to take a leap of faith into a DIY-focused distro. I've been a GNU/Linux user since late 2006 when I first tried out Kubuntu on a live disc, then actually migrating from Windows to Ubuntu in mid-2007 due to a compilers course for college.

I'm from Guatemala (yes, that country southeast of Mexico where the Mayans lived and prospered) and I'm currently still studying for a degree in Computer Science and Systems Engineering at Galileo University, in Guatemala City. I must acknowledge that time is not one of my greatest allies, since I also happen to have a condition known as Narcolepsy, a sleep disorder that makes me very sleepy due to a lack of a brain hormone that regularly keeps people awake during the day. However, with the help of God, my neurologist and my medication, I'm currently able to live a (somewhat) normal life.

So far, my OS-hopping has been kind of erratic as you can see in the following list: Kubuntu > Ubuntu > Windows Vista > Ubuntu > Windows 7 > Ubuntu > Win7 > Mint > Win7 > Ubuntu > Fedora > OpenSUSE > Debian > Ubuntu > Debian > Fedora > OpenSUSE > Debian > OpenSUSE > Arch

Sick, right? Howerver, during the past months after deciding to go full-on-Arch I've learned so much about my systems (gaming desktop and Acer eMachines laptop) thanks to the Arch wiki, that I just hadn't really needed to post here on the forums. But now, I'm definitely looking forwards to join in with and (hopefully) give back to the community in any way that is possible for me to contribute.

Greetings from Guatemala!

#4137 2014-08-24 20:49:28

Massimiliano

Greetings from Indiana!

Running Arch on my laptop for three weeks and counting--never looking back! Feels like I've learned more in the mere weeks using Arch (including a few test installations before jumping off the cliff) than in the two years using Linux Mint before that, or the two decades+ using Mac and Windows before that, including a CS degree and Microsoft certification. I still retain a high level of respect for Mint, and would recommend that to friends who are less of the "poke under the hood" type. But I've very content now with my Arch + Compiz DE setup!

Now when Weird Al Yankovich sings, "I upgrade my system at least twice a day!" (It's All About the Pentiums), I think to myself, "Hey, I actually do that!" big_smile

#4138 2014-08-24 23:54:05

setsuna88

print "hello Arch Linux community"

My name is Isaiah, im located in North Carolina.  I officially made the leap after talking about it for years and left the world of Windows on my personal computer around three weeks ago. It has been the best decision I have ever made!  I have had training in Red Hat for my job and have worked with it for the last couple years...at home I started out with Linux Mint(Cinnamon) three weeks ago when I happily blasted away my windows partitions (with a smile).  After doing some research and reading about the things you all are doing here with Arch Linux and decided thats what I want to support and hopefully one day I can contribute to this community!

I am currently planning my Arch Linux install but have encountered some issues when booting it from a usb drive I created with UNetbootin. And hopefully can get it to work in the next day or two.

My current system...
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
Mobo: Ausus P8Z68-V
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengence
HDD: Corsair Force GT 90GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint f1 1TB

Anyways nice to meet you all!

#4139 2014-08-25 11:10:58

x33a
Forum Fellow

setsuna88 wrote:

I am currently planning my Arch Linux install but have encountered some issues when booting it from a usb drive I created with UNetbootin.

Unetbootin isn't recommended for installing Arch to a USB drive. Try dd.

#4140 2014-08-26 11:47:16

lawrent

Hello World!

Me and Linux, briefly: I started Linux with Ubuntu 10.04, I switched to Linux Mint 14 when the 12.04 version removed Gnome 2, and now I'm moving to Arch.
I'm a vim user, and I'll give i3 a try.

That's all for now!

#4141 2014-08-27 01:23:40

Eham

Hello. well I've been using Linux for 5 years, probably tried 100 different distros. None satisfied me so I decided to try Arch a year ago, because I could make it exactly what I wanted, been happy ever since.   Finally decided to register here  so here I am!

Last edited by Eham (2014-08-27 01:24:40)

#4142 2014-08-27 05:46:16

maseone

Hi

Started using Arch a few months ago and wanted to say thanks for all the useful wiki articles. I used a few Debian based distros over the past couple years and the wiki articles were an immense help migrating from an apt based system (among other Debian based aspects).  Installed Arch with Gnome3/GDM and love how light weight and fast the system is - even after installing all the packages I need.

Still have a lot to learn about systemd and as challenging as it has been to learn it's one of my favorite aspects since migrating to Arch.

maseone

#4143 2014-08-27 11:20:26

quequotion
Website

warkanum wrote:

my school teacher used Gentoo, dd and netcat to load 20+ machines with Linux and Windows 2000 filesystems in one blow.

That's olde magick.

#4144 2014-08-28 13:41:21

alpenwasser
Website

Hello everyone,

Been using Linux as my primary OS since about 2007 or so, with brief
attempts at it a few times before that, and switched to Arch in spring
2011. Not quote sure why it took me this long to make an account here,
but eh, here I am.

Been very happy with Arch so far, very fond of pacman actually. smile

#4145 2014-08-28 22:36:25

kelsinni

Hello all members...
i new here and even more newbie on Arch...

Hope to learn much here...:)

Thanks all wink

#4146 2014-08-29 00:14:58

c00ter

Howdy, everyone! My name is Ken and I'm an Alaskan (Juneau) currently living in Tacoma, Washington, USA. I've been using Linux full time--no Windows--for 10+ years, but I am totally new to Arch. It's fun; I am learning a lot. smile

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#4147 2014-08-29 04:07:03

xentoo

Hello all...
I've been using Linux since the mid 90's and have been clean from Windows for about 15 years. (Except for the obligatory tech support for friends and family that are reluctant to make the switch.)
So far I'm enjoying the Arch experience as my primary desktop and pacman is simply beautiful to use. I generally run a heterogeneous network with a healthy mix *nix flavours (including BSD, Illumos and Hurd based systems)

Keep up the brilliant work and hopefully I'll find a group of packages to help maintain within the community.

#4148 2014-08-29 04:25:17

ewaller
Administrator

xentoo wrote:

Hello all... I've ... been clean from Windows for about 15 years. (Except for ....

There is always an exception.  Always.  tongue

Welcome.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4149 2014-08-30 03:45:31

Chris1337

Hello! I'm setting up an arch server because a friend of mine said it is nice. I looked at the wiki and it seems simple and lightweight, which sounds good for a server! So here I am. tongue

#4150 2014-08-30 15:05:08

deckedspring67

Hello Little arch fellows U,u

Board footer