You are not logged in.

#4201 2014-10-08 21:27:22

nomorewindows

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

I forgot to name mine.  Maybe that's why it doesn't pay attention to me.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4202 2014-10-09 07:43:08

thond1st

Hi Arch Masters and Newbies,

Just successfully installed ArchLinux last night (2 days). Had some problem with X but got it on the second install (something with Nvidia driver). Installed KDE today (Had some issues with repository that I forgot to update.). Installed Vim, Chromium, Firefox, Alsa-PulseAudio, peppermint-flashplayer and others with no problems.
Have been using Fedora, Ubuntu, and LinuxMint before. Searched for Linux/Unix for developers and experts and I ended up installing ArchLinux. Really liked the no pain on WIFI and networking setup.

I am loving it and happy to be part of the Archers Community.

Great job ArchLinux Developers!

#4203 2014-10-09 13:17:38

x33a
Forum Fellow

c.jvr wrote:

Hello World,

C is a beginner computer scientist who is about to make the jump to Arch.
He is bringing his brand new Aspire ES1-511-C59V to the great world of broken things and Linux, hopefully, she will converted by this weekend.
Yes, my laptop is a she.

Why is it a she? Is it an ultrabook?

#4204 2014-10-10 21:00:21

archego

Hello,

I am a new Arch user, and like most users I have tried many different distros starting with Ubuntu. I am sure I have found the distro that I will be sticking with, very impressed with everything from the installation process to the pacman package manager.  Also I enjoy the great and detailed Arch-Wiki where I can find just about everything I need when it comes to installing programs or troubleshooting them.

0ee6371fab3a2eae54e2bb1d3331dbd9

#4205 2014-10-11 16:21:19

gayanhewa
Website

Hello , there everyone. Noob moving from the lazy world world of Linux distributions. Hope to bother everyone with questions smile

#4206 2014-10-12 14:20:43

szmood

Hi everyone!

Your looking at a total Linux newbie from the northern hemisphere.
Currently running Manjaro with xfce frontend. Right now im just done configuring the basics of my needs and very happy with the result.
Im really excited to move on and configure a pure Arch Linux system on an older computer at home to understand the basics of the Linux system.

Thx for bringing cutting edge software with straightforward documentation!

Last edited by szmood (2014-10-12 14:21:16)

#4207 2014-10-12 15:02:07

drcouzelis
Website

szmood wrote:

Thx for bringing cutting edge software with straightforward documentation!

You're welcome! smile But I'm afraid no one here has developed or written documentation for Manjaro Linux. wink

#4208 2014-10-14 22:29:36

banky

Hello folks,
Longtime intermediate linux user here. I struggle to learn more know-how each day through a near-total lack of focus and data retention, in addition to being a busy dad.  I've been using linux on and off since 2007, always with arch. The wiki is legendary, as is  this great pit of useful searchable prior misadventure, for which I thank you all.

#4209 2014-10-15 16:54:57

daguilera

Hi all!
Latest free software comes rode for many Debian based distros mostly until finally found the home in Arch. I hope to contribute to the great community that is housed here. (sorry about my automagical english - i speak spanish better wink)

Have a nice day...

#4210 2014-10-15 21:23:23

DSK

Just wanted to make my first post and break the ice on this welcoming thread.

Hello everyone.

I got my first experiences of the computer world when I was about 8 years old on an Aquarius machine hooked to the TV as a monitor. I was writing simple code on it back then. Then was an Apple IIc. Then Windows 3.1 and ever since been pretty much in a caveat of Windows and grazing with Mac in only a few instances (parents, schools and jobs all seem to prefer Windows.) Until about 4 years ago, I started using Linux for the first time. I became comfortable with Ubuntu and I think it is a great OS for converting Windows users to Linux because it has that middle ground to it while still being a Linux machine. I went sifting through distros probably about 10 until I came across Arch. It had many great reviews and I like the minimalist clean code ideaology behind Arch. As I have been using it for a couple of months now, I am loving it. Not any real issues with installation of the OS. The wiki is a wonderful resource. Although, at times I thought it overwhelmed me with info. My major problem was with Grub. I got so used to the automated installs doing everything for me. First fully manual install, Arch LVM on LUKS BIOS/UEFI dual boot on an mSATA USB. Looks nice and feels great to have an OS that can and will let me have as much control as I want.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity. See you all around the forums. smile

Last edited by DSK (2014-10-15 21:27:03)

#4211 2014-10-16 18:55:06

gronkmonster

Hiya,

I've been playing with home computers since around 1980. Sinclair, Commodore and BBC back in those days and on to pc's in the early '90's. I've tried a fair few OS's.. Just cos I can! I've been using various *nix over the years, but always seemed to have hardware issues when trying Arch. Discovered the Evo/Lution distros, which really has help bypass all the crap I went through. Finally, I have a working Arch laptop!

Since installing, I've found the wiki indispensable whilst learning about the Arch way. I'm starting to prefer doing things this way too. So much so, I think I'm going to start saying goodbye to the other less involved distros I've been using.

I'm back to enjoying computing once more!

Hope to chat to you guys sometime soon big_smile

#4212 2014-10-16 19:18:01

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. I like your username. smile

gronkmonster wrote:

Discovered the Evo/Lution distros, which really has help bypass all the crap I went through. Finally, I have a working Arch laptop!

I'm glad you got it working. Just remember that since you chose to "bypass all the crap" during installation, neither you nor the people on this forum really understand completely how your computer is setup, so it'll be hard to assist you if you have any issues. hmm

#4213 2014-10-16 20:17:15

mendieta

Hello everyone!
I've registered some time ago but had no internet access since that; I'm really happy to rejoin the forums.
I've been using Arch for maybe 5 years; I started my Linux adventure with Ubuntu and tried some other distros but then I discovered Arch, and since then I did nothing but learn, experiment, break my system and fix it (sometimes)... the adventure doesn't seem to stop.
Hope this is the right place to say 'thank you' to the community, I've learnt so much from the Wiki and the forums and hope I can contribute with my 2 cents someday...
So, thanks again for the hard and good work! See you in the forums...

Last edited by mendieta (2014-10-16 20:20:06)

#4214 2014-10-19 14:39:34

Nisaea

Hello ladies and gents.

Well well.

A couple of friends & colleagues have spent a substantial a mount of time and energy praising Arch and telling me I should really give it a try.

And so I did.

And probably like most people coming from a long experience of user friendly distros (I was on Fedora, still is on some machines), I was violently hit by the unforgiving winds of homesickness when I had to manually set up my networking settings and install Xorg, and so on. I almost gave up when I couldn't get Gnome to work (issue already reported in the forum, not the subject here).

But I hate to give up easily.
And I was really seduced by the "KISS - user-centric - total control over what's going on in your machine" philosophy.
And the Arch wiki is TheBomb.com.
And KDE isn't so bad... smile

So hopefully this is the be the beginning of a new and exciting adventure, and I'm pleased to meet you. Really.

Cheers.

#4215 2014-10-19 17:06:50

C-snake

Hello All

I've been using Arch for a couple of days now and have so far been very pleased.
I have quite a bit of experience with linux, i've been using for around 3 years now, and i've played with a lot of things, mostly debian, however. I decided it was time to find a better go-to OS. I decided on Arch because of
1. Amazing documentation
2. lively user community
3. Speedy on my cruddy old computer
4. The repositories are beyond great
5. I've heard marvelous things about pacman.

Hopefully from here on out Arch will be my go-to favorite linux.

cheers!

#4216 2014-10-19 18:25:10

nomorewindows

C-snake wrote:

Cheers!

I've seen goto on a few electronics, and I'm still looking for the any key.  But my keyboard doesn't have a goto button.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4217 2014-10-19 21:06:58

drcouzelis
Website

nomorewindows wrote:
C-snake wrote:

Cheers!

I've seen goto on a few electronics, and I'm still looking for the any key.  But my keyboard doesn't have a goto button.

Are you a dad? Because that was a dad joke. wink

#4218 2014-10-20 06:01:58

x33a
Forum Fellow

Nisaea wrote:

A couple of friends & colleagues have spent a substantial a mount of time and energy praising Arch and telling me I should really give it a try.

Quite a nerdy company you have wink

#4219 2014-10-20 13:47:38

Nisaea

x33a wrote:
Nisaea wrote:

I know right? wink I love my lab!

My job is IT-related so it kinda figures anyway, I'm pretty nerdy myself in my own weird way.

Edit: I got Gnome to work with the help of our sysadmin (and discovered the existence of PRIME), and I can proudly announce that I'm a happy new Arch user!

Last edited by Nisaea (2014-10-20 13:53:44)

#4220 2014-10-20 20:04:22

nomorewindows

drcouzelis wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:
C-snake wrote:

Cheers!

Are you a dad? Because that was a dad joke. wink

I'm not sure if it helps to have Age Activated ADHD.

Look ma, no mouse.

#4221 2014-10-21 04:58:47

x33a
Forum Fellow

Nisaea wrote:
x33a wrote:
Nisaea wrote:

My job is IT-related so it kinda figures anyway, I'm pretty nerdy myself in my own weird way.

Yeah, but even most IT people are like Linux = (RedHat, CentOS) etc. Most haven't even heard of Arch Linux, even though it has been on 7-8th places of distrowatch for a couple of years now.

#4222 2014-10-21 09:11:11

Nisaea

x33a wrote:
Nisaea wrote:
x33a wrote:

Yeah, but even most IT people are like Linux = (RedHat, CentOS) etc. Most haven't even heard of Arch Linux, even though it has been on 7-8th places of distrowatch for a couple of years now.

Really? I've been using Linux everyday for like 7 years now and I heard about Arch almost right from the start, if only for some info you can find pretty much nowhere else but in the Arch wiki/forums. So I've been aware of its existence for ages but always felt a bit intimidated and way too lazy to try it out.

Last edited by Nisaea (2014-10-21 09:34:39)

#4223 2014-10-21 09:17:09

x33a
Forum Fellow

Well, you live in l33t company tongue, but I am talking about the usual IT folks.

And yes, Arch wiki features very prominently in search results on almost any kind of linux related topic, which is indeed a huge reason for its popularity.

#4224 2014-10-21 09:47:50

Nisaea

x33a wrote:

Well, you live in l33t company tongue, but I am talking about the usual IT folks.

I still have a hard time imagining how you can miss its existence if you ever used a search engine for linux-related stuff. It's like missing a whale in a glass of water! oO

x33a wrote:

And yes, Arch wiki features very prominently in search results on almost any kind of linux related topic, which is indeed a huge reason for its popularity.

And this is really great, given the cumulative amount of work and time it takes to build a documentation this exhaustive and detailed. Something this useful deserves no less.

#4225 2014-10-21 11:28:08

drcouzelis
Website

Stop, you're making me feel like an idiot. It only took me seven years to notice the whale... sad

wink

Board footer