You are not logged in.

#4226 2014-10-21 14:42:20

ewaller
Administrator

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

What whale?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4227 2014-10-21 14:52:06

drcouzelis
Website

ewaller wrote:

What whale?

Can't tell if serious... wink

Nisaea wrote:

I still have a hard time imagining how you can miss its existence if you ever used a search engine for linux-related stuff. It's like missing a whale in a glass of water!

In an effort to add some actual substance to my recent posts... I can't remember exactly what started my interest in Arch Linux. I was using gNewSense at the time, a distribution which had software that was over a year old in it. I had a long time hatred of the "backup, format, install" six month lifecycle of my Linux installations, but I just figured it was something I had to live with. Then I think I read a casual comment (maybe on www.osnews.com) about the concept of a "rolling release" schedule. I started reading more and more about Arch Linux, thought it was perfect for me, and have been using it ever since. But I don't ever remember hearing about Arch Linux before that day in 2011 2009.

...at least, that's how I think it went. I hate it when I rewrite my own history in my head. hmm

EDIT: Hey, cool! I just found a post from me in 2012 where I talk about my Linux history! big_smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-10-22 12:05:38)

#4228 2014-10-21 15:06:04

ewaller
Administrator

Of course I was not being serious tongue   In the spirit of adding content, I actually found Arch as I was a dyed-in-the-wool Gentoo user.  My old laptop died a horrible death and I needed a replacement to be up and running in a hurry.  I did not have a couple days to install Gentoo.  Someone on their boards, which are every bit as good as ours, suggested Arch as a stopgap measure.  That was five years ago.  One heck of a gap, eh?

Last edited by ewaller (2014-10-21 15:07:18)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#4229 2014-10-22 08:19:44

WalrusTheSailor

Hello everyone.

I'm a young hacker that has been using Linux for the past two years. Installed Arch Linux on the Raspberry Pi two weeks ago and fallen in love with Arch Linux since then. Arch Linux has only made me smile since then, I love the simplicity, the documentation, the rolling releases, and much more.
I had a home server running Debian, but made the switch to Arch Linux yesterday. I'm mainly interested in C programming, which can be combined perfectly with GNU/Linux of course.

#4230 2014-10-22 08:42:59

lucke

When I found Arch, it was 20-30th in Distrowatch's rankings and Arch's Wiki was in its infancy. But I did manage to find it somehow! Yay! *fanfares*

Afterwards I was sometimes mentioning it in comments on osnews.com and whatnot, because I did not want people to miss out.

#4231 2014-10-22 09:20:26

Nisaea

drcouzelis wrote:

Stop, you're making me feel like an idiot. It only took me seven years to notice the whale... sad

And there goes another chance for me to shut up big_smile

drcouzelis wrote:

I had a long time hatred of the "backup, format, install" six month lifecycle of my Linux installations, but I just figured it was something I had to live with.

Well so did I until I adopted Fedora, and I was surprised how well their upgrade software works (preupgrade then fedup). A little bit of work to clean the dust left behind and your OS is as good as new. My PC at home has not seen a fresh install since f13 and it's happily running a f20.

drcouzelis wrote:

...at least, that's how I think it went. I hate it when I rewrite my own history in my head. hmm

I know that feeling...

ewaller wrote:

What whale?

lol

#4232 2014-10-22 11:30:58

x33a
Forum Fellow

drcouzelis wrote:

But I don't ever remember hearing about Arch Linux before that day in 2011.

And yet you registered on the forums in 2009!

#4233 2014-10-22 12:37:27

drcouzelis
Website

x33a wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

But I don't ever remember hearing about Arch Linux before that day in 2011.

And yet you registered on the forums in 2009!

Whoops! Good catch. big_smile I was reading my computer history and misread the date: it wasn't 2011, it was 11 (Nov) in 2009.

I'll be blogging about our five year anniversary next month. (I mean me and Arch Linux. Not me and x33a...)

#4234 2014-10-23 12:34:18

marshall

Hello everyone!

I'm a Linux beginner, I've been using Arch Linux for 4 months and I'm very happy with it.

I want to thank everybody who contributes to this community especially the PERFECT wiki.

Sorry, for my poor English. sad

#4235 2014-10-23 13:52:50

x33a
Forum Fellow

drcouzelis wrote:

I'll be blogging about our five year anniversary next month. (I mean me and Arch Linux. Not me and x33a...)

lol. Anyway, my five year Arch anniversary is already over tongue

#4236 2014-10-24 18:30:47

swano

Hey everyone. I used Arch exclusively for a couple years, bought a macbook pro retina and instantly regretted the switch. Now I'm moving back to Arch and thought I'd actually create a forum account this time.

Installed on my desktop and it already feels better. Man I missed pacman.

#4237 2014-10-24 18:32:17

swano

marshall wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm a Linux beginner, I've been using Arch Linux for 4 months and I'm very happy with it.

I want to thank everybody who contributes to this community especially the PERFECT wiki.

Welcome Marshall. That's one of my favorite things about Arch as well. The wiki is superb. I regularly used the Arch wiki even when I was running other distros. It is a great resource.

#4238 2014-10-25 18:53:07

mindcrime

Hey fellow Arch users.

After trying Manjaro for a few weeks, I got fed up with a system that was pre-configured and went for full-fledged Arch. I installed it using the Evo/Lution AIS installer in August and finally (I'm so proud) I installed it *The Arch Way* about a week ago. Super happy with it.

Arch wiki = Jesus.

Arch user since August 2014.
Currently flirting with BSPWM ~\\~ CLI enthusiast.
Also currently building an Arch desktop PC. Suggestions welcome!
Please excuse occasional beginner questions.

#4239 2014-10-25 20:10:48

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

mindcrime wrote:

After trying Manjaro for a few weeks, I got fed up with a system that was pre-configured and went for full-fledged Arch.

I'm not making fun of you, but us Arch Linux users sure are a funny bunch: "I got fed up because my computer wasn't nearly difficult enough to configure..." wink

#4240 2014-10-26 11:14:19

AnodizedHull

Hi there, Arch veterans!

I'm a happy newbie currently experimenting with Arch Linux + Awesome window manager on Virtualbox on Windows. I was drawn to linux by the continuous arguing of a number of friends about what the better operating system is, Windows or Linux. I grew up with Windows, but had experimented with Ubuntu and Elementary OS before. I didn't really enjoy using either and lost interest, but this discussion renewed it, so I went ahead and did some research on the different distro's (admittedly something I should have done earlier).
I looked at the distro's these friends are using, Manjaro and some form of Gentoo, but I thought that the way they set up their system was too reminiscent of Windows. So I started looking for distro's that offered customization that didn't need to evolve into something like Windows. That's when I stumbled across the highly customizable Arch Linux. Since then I've given KDE a go, xfce and now I'm looking at installing just the bits and pieces that I need rather than a whole desktop environment, which brought me to awesome.

Having said all that, I'm still very inexperienced with Linux and haven't been able to install it alongside windows on my laptop... Mostly because I was too stubborn to just reinstall Windows and tried shrinking the partition (what a disaster, lol). Anyway, I figured I should come in and say hi since I've been using the wiki a lot and wanted to thank those who maintain it. So, if any of you read this, thank you. I really appreciate your effort and am looking forward to learn more about Arch and Linux in general.

Cheers!

#4241 2014-10-26 13:35:05

nomorewindows

AnodizedHull wrote:

Hi there, Arch veterans!

I'm a happy newbie currently experimenting with Arch Linux + Awesome window manager.

Awesome combination!

AndoizedHul wrote:

Mostly because I was too stubborn to just reinstall Windows and tried shrinking the partition (what a disaster, lol). Anyway, I figured I should come in and say hi since I've been using the wiki a lot and wanted to thank those who maintain it. So, if any of you read this, thank you. I really appreciate your effort and am looking forward to learn more about Arch and Linux in general.

Cheers!

Gparted: just when you wanted to shrink the partition more than Windows will allow you to. 
You could almost fit that VB image right into a partiton.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4242 2014-10-26 17:50:45

mindcrime

drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome. smile

mindcrime wrote:

After trying Manjaro for a few weeks, I got fed up with a system that was pre-configured and went for full-fledged Arch.

I'm not making fun of you, but us Arch Linux users sure are a funny bunch: "I got fed up because my computer wasn't nearly difficult enough to configure..." wink

You have no idea... Hahaha!

Thanks for the welcome! smile

Arch user since August 2014.
Currently flirting with BSPWM ~\\~ CLI enthusiast.
Also currently building an Arch desktop PC. Suggestions welcome!
Please excuse occasional beginner questions.

#4243 2014-10-28 07:58:25

trkulhan

Hello World.

#4244 2014-10-28 15:59:18

browniesrgut

Hello everybody,

I'm a 4 months old Archlinux user (former ubuntero). I've discovered Achlinux just before summer was seduced and migrated right away my home computer, an old Eee-netbook-thingy I use when I'm on a trip. Recently acquired a brand new Lenovo G50-30, whacked the original OS for some exclusive Arch-pleasure...

What a wonderful world !

Have a nice day everyone smile

#4245 2014-10-28 23:28:20

Kristofer

Hello all just installed Arch Linux with Xfce4 on my eee pc 900 using the Evo/lution installer I tried the regular method and failed miserably each time sorry to disappoint you. I've only had it installed for a day now and so far I love it, makes my eee pc feel so much snappier and responsive. Before arch I was using Kali Linux so I am some what familiar with linux in general.I look forward to learning as much as possible from this site and you all. Is there any stickies or threads I should read post install or tips you guys have to help me on my journey? I'm mainly interested in arch for entertainment...and hacking. here's a screenshot of my DE set up so far.

Screenshot-10282014-042236PM_zpsad6a86dd.png

#4246 2014-10-29 02:14:37

ewaller
Administrator

That picture is a bit over sized..  I was going to change the image tags to link tags....... but it can wait tongue

Welcome to Arch Linux Kristofer.

---

#4247 2014-10-29 02:36:00

nomorewindows

ewaller wrote:

That picture is a bit over sized..  I was going to change the image tags to link tags....... but it can wait tongue

Welcome to Arch Linux Kristofer.

That almost belongs in one of those show your desktop enviroment threads.  But anyhow.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4248 2014-10-29 03:52:18

pyrogoggles

I'm new to Arch Linux, and to be honest, I'm kind of a new Linux user. I've used it PLENTY of times, but never really took the time to get accustomed to it. I've got Arch in a virtual box right now, but when I finish the Linux Bible and I feel comfortable, I might just use it as my full OS. It's really a great operating system.

Just an amateur who likes Arch.

#4249 2014-10-29 17:26:36

swano

pyrogoggles wrote:

I'm new to Arch Linux, and to be honest, I'm kind of a new Linux user. I've used it PLENTY of times, but never really took the time to get accustomed to it. I've got Arch in a virtual box right now, but when I finish the Linux Bible and I feel comfortable, I might just use it as my full OS. It's really a great operating system.

Hello and welcome, pyrogoggles. The arch wiki is also another really good source to not only troubleshoot issues, but learn more about how the system works in general. Definitely worth browsing.

#4250 2014-10-29 20:50:14

pyrogoggles

swano wrote:
pyrogoggles wrote:

Hello and welcome, pyrogoggles. The arch wiki is also another really good source to not only troubleshoot issues, but learn more about how the system works in general. Definitely worth browsing.

Yeah, I've used the wiki plenty of time just installing it in VirtualBox. Network device wouldn't start, but I tried to do it without the wiki with a Vbox, and it worked  perfectly the easy way.

It was odd, but weird stuff always happens with VirtualBox. Also, for the wiki, I've got an Arch Linux Wiki app on my phone, so when the day comes and I am installing it, I've got a wiki in my pocket.

Just an amateur who likes Arch.

Board footer