You are not logged in.

#4251 2014-10-30 02:46:26

Kristofer

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

ewaller wrote:

That picture is a bit over sized..  I was going to change the image tags to link tags....... but it can wait tongue

Welcome to Arch Linux Kristofer.

LOL thanks bro I'm pretty stoked to have arch installed and running been tweeking the desktop here and there trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Do you have any do's and don't's as far as what I do to it?

#4252 2014-10-30 03:25:27

ewaller
Administrator

Kristofer wrote:

Do you have any do's and don't's as far as what I do to it?

Sure do, here are are the policies: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_etiquette

They are mostly common sense.  Be good to people.  Don't break the law. Be responsible.

smile

Edit:  Maybe I misunderstood.  Are you talking about what you can or can't do on the forums? Or what you can or can't do to the desktop? hmm

Last edited by ewaller (2014-10-30 03:52:06)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4253 2014-10-30 03:43:56

c.jvr

x33a wrote:
c.jvr wrote:

Hello World,

C is a beginner computer scientist who is about to make the jump to Arch.
He is bringing his brand new Aspire ES1-511-C59V to the great world of broken things and Linux, hopefully, she will converted by this weekend.
Yes, my laptop is a she.

Why is it a she? Is it an ultrabook?

It's something, alright.
Putting Linux (of any kind) on it has been a pain. I had Arch on it for a stint and then it started behaving weird.
It has behaved weird for quite  a while now-- there something wrong with it. I can't tell what.
When I catch a break I'll go full Spanish Inquisition on it and force the Arch way upon it.

c

#4254 2014-11-02 09:21:57

n3p3nthess

Hello, I am Frederick aka n3p3nthess.
Using Arch for over a year now, mainly on my server, running my home automation system and network storage.
I never installed Arch on my Laptop, but planning to do so soon.
I've been using Linux since 2005 (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Slackware).

Registered on this forum because I wanted to become part of the community.

#4255 2014-11-02 13:57:18

jinal

Hi all!!

I've been using linux for about 1 year now as my main os. I still have preference for GUI for many tasks since I am not aware of all relevant commands and fundamentals. I have mostly used Ubuntu derivatives until recently when I installed Antergos. I am really enjoying using Arch. It sometimes seems a little intimidating  as it really does expect you to know what you are doing.

I am looking forward to being a more proficient user.

I LOVE the Arch documentation. It's so extensive! I think that is what makes me use Arch despite my relative noobness tongue

#4256 2014-11-02 17:25:58

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

jinal wrote:

I installed Antergos.

Are you using Antergos or Arch Linux?

#4257 2014-11-03 00:49:33

Kocha
Website

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to learn a bit about Linux, and I thought what better way than Arch.
Already learned alot just by getting it to run, and really happy with that Gnome install.
Greetings

#4258 2014-11-04 05:05:40

justapatsy

Hello Arch Community,

I did it, not only did I manage to install Arch and get most things working but also, as is evidenced by this post, I managed to register to use the forums. It was surprisingly difficult for me to register because my system time was off by 8 hours, which was about how long it took me to figure out why I couldn't get the right answer, but instead of actually fixing that I just switched my timezone on the registration page. I have learned a great many things in this ordeal like why you shouldn't format your ESP partition if you want to keeping booting the other OS's installed on your hard drive. I spent several days recovering from that, but I ended up with rEFInd as my bootloader which is really pretty nice. I still have a lot of work to do, to make everything pleasant and more functional, but its nice knowing that I can boot up and login, for now at least.

#4259 2014-11-04 13:56:39

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

justapatsy wrote:

instead of actually fixing that I just switched my timezone on the registration page.

Clever justapatsy... wink

#4260 2014-11-04 14:59:04

Dennis
Website

Hello World!

(fairly new to linux (tried Ubuntu(recently), tried Fedora & Red Hat(few years ago), tried SuSE(even more years ago) ... trying Arch Linux now...))

#4261 2014-11-04 15:04:48

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

Dennis wrote:

(fairly new to linux (tried Ubuntu(recently), tried Fedora & Red Hat(few years ago), tried SuSE(even more years ago) ... trying Arch Linux now...))

This is the first post I've seen on the Arch Linux forums that is written in valid Common Lisp.

#4262 2014-11-04 15:58:51

Dennis
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome. smile

Thank you. smile

drcouzelis wrote:
Dennis wrote:

This is the first post I've seen on the Arch Linux forums that is written in valid Common Lisp.

So now I have to learn lisp to know what you're talking about (unless you're just marveling at the fact that the opening/closing round brackets are matching up). big_smile

#4263 2014-11-04 16:48:40

ewaller
Administrator

Dennis wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome. smile

Thank you. smile

drcouzelis wrote:
Dennis wrote:

So now I have to learn lisp to know what you're talking about (unless you're just marveling at the fact that the opening/closing round brackets are matching up). big_smile

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function fairly)
  (fairly new to linux (tried Ubuntu (recently) (\, tried) Fedora & Red Hat (few years ago) (\, tried) SuSE (even more years ago) \.\.\. trying Arch Linux n$
  eval((fairly new to linux (tried Ubuntu (recently) (\, tried) Fedora & Red Hat (few years ago) (\, tried) SuSE (even more years ago) \.\.\. trying Arch Li$
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

big_smile

Welcome to Arch smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#4264 2014-11-04 19:14:16

Dennis
Website

Well... I still don't get it. Thanks. smile

#4265 2014-11-04 19:29:00

drcouzelis
Website

@Dennis, are you involved in the Allegro community? Man, I miss it there. Just recently I was digging through some old projects and found a game I was making that I'd completely forgot about, and, to my complete complete surprise, IS ACTULLY A LOT OF FUN!

I think it's time for me to start digging through the Allegro 5 documentation again... big_smile

#4266 2014-11-04 20:15:50

ewaller
Administrator

Dennis wrote:

Well... I still don't get it. Thanks. smile

It is just that that sentence has a remarkable resemblance to actual lisp code.  Here is some 'real' Lisp (well, emacs Lisp, actually)for comparison:

(setq end (progn
                (goto-char end)
                (gnuplot-point-at-end-of-continuation))
          begin (progn
                  (goto-char begin)
                  (gnuplot-beginning-of-continuation)
                  (point)))

vs

So much so, I tried to execute it just to see what it would do.  It turns out that 'fairly is not a defined function and cannot be used as a CAR.  Never mind us, we are just being silly, but our welcome to Arch is sincere.

---

#4267 2014-11-04 21:01:09

raul_l

Hello.

I consider myself ready for Arch Linux now. I am still in the phase of finding the best system configuration but have already solved/avoided some of the problems that I faced with previous distributions. Past experience includes mainly Ubuntu and Scientific Linux. Long ago there was also some OS from Microsoft but this is distant memory now.

Long live everyone involved with this project!

Raul Laasner

#4268 2014-11-04 21:20:07

Dennis
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

@Dennis, are you involved in the Allegro community? Man, I miss it there. Just recently I was digging through some old projects and found a game I was making that I'd completely forgot about, and, to my complete complete surprise, IS ACTULLY A LOT OF FUN!

I think it's time for me to start digging through the Allegro 5 documentation again... big_smile

Yes, I used to hang out on allegro.cc a lot more in the past though and then life(as always) got in the way of things and I abandoned software-development(grew some kind of mental aversion towards it, due to j0rb, still don't ever want to have a dev j0rb again, unless it's open source and in a non-dilbert zone, then maybe, just maybe, I'd consider it) completely for a few years. Currently returning... slowly... to everything (looking mainly into web development right now though, building my own lib in the spirit of allegro(easy of use as the prime directive) but for html/js/webgl). I could probably use existing frameworks but the fun is in developing my own, learning new stuff, doing things my way, etc. smile

ewaller wrote:

So much so, I tried to execute it just to see what it would do.  It turns out that 'fairly is not a defined function and cannot be used as a CAR.  Never mind us, we are just being silly, but our welcome to Arch is sincere.

Ah smile , I do not mind the tech-talk and I feel welcome. I have a feeling my search for the "right" Linux may have ended with Arch. The initial learning curve seems steep but the wiki is excellent and the community seems nice, so \o/. My plan is to setup an old machine, running Arch, for development mainly and to use it until I feel sufficiently comfortable/experienced to also put it as a dev-environment alongside Windows 7 on my main machine and then... long term... see if I can manage to go fully open/free-software-only (would have to replace a lot of good Windows-only software for that though or write my own tools, so that's a very long term possibility which could take a decade or two to make it real).

#4269 2014-11-05 01:23:52

jelieff

Hello,

First, I want to say what an amazing project Arch is, by installing it I'm learning lots.  I started back in 2000 - 2004 using a little bit of Linux and some FreeBSD in an ISP job, but I never really grasped all that I was doing muddling around in /etc.  When that job ended I stopped using any Linux.  Still, any experience was better than none and this year when I returned to trying Linux, it came back to help me muddle around.  I started by downloading ElementaryOS, Mint, and Ubuntu, of these I liked Elementary's looks, but went to Mint since it had more tools pre-installed.

I realized that Mint wasn't what I was after though and began hopping distros.  I landed on #!Crunchbang, I was very pleased by it's openbox implementation  ( I actually had no idea of the difference between wm / de until right then ) and it's light weight feel, they were doing something right ( still are, actually ).  I found Manjaro and played with it on a different PC, but it was quirky and I felt it wasn't quite as stable as #! , despite being very pretty.   A friend turned me to Arch and I've been here ever since. 

Building Arch has given me an understanding of what all the teams who build distros go through, and a realization that the entire Linux community is to be applauded, this is not easy stuff, to make distros that meld well with the apps they chose, with the environments they pick, that's a hats off kind of thing.

While my skills are lacking at duplicating this sort of dazzling environment I pick and choose what I require, using light weight apps to do my bidding, Arch is comfortable and as the introduction described, well laid out, the documentation is second to none.  I have of course hit some road bumps, but I'm making progress, and the Wiki is getting me there one issue at a time. 

So far I've settled on Arch with Openbox as well as Enlightenment using LXDM to get me in.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication.  If I ever learn enough to be useful, I'll be happy to return what I've gotten in any way I can.

Last edited by jelieff (2014-11-05 01:24:50)

#4270 2014-11-05 21:20:33

Dennis
Website

This is just a happy "first post from within firefox running on fresh arch-linux with x and enlightenment". \o/ (Need to celebrate this... it was not easy(==time consuming) to get this far... XD. ) Next... I need to learn to use AUR, so I can install google chrome.

So... Hello World... again... this time from Arch!

#4271 2014-11-05 23:52:08

nomorewindows

Chromium is in the repos.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4272 2014-11-06 02:02:34

paleneutron

Hellow everyone!
I have been fighting for several days with archlinux.
and now I found it quite hard to solve problems by myself,a newbie of linux.

#4273 2014-11-06 14:06:20

nomorewindows

paleneutron wrote:

I have been fighting for several days with archlinux.

Ok, who started it?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4274 2014-11-07 22:55:43

friTTe

Hi guys, new here.
Fredrik,swedish 33yrs old.

Wanna learn as much as possible, so i started with Antergos to get a feel, and i like the AUR and package manager alot.

Will probably lurk around gather knowledge smile

Last edited by friTTe (2014-11-07 22:56:11)

#4275 2014-11-07 23:12:34

irb
Website

Good hello! I'm new to Arch but have been running Slackware on my home kit since 1996 (and various other UNIX OSes as part of being a sysadmin). About a week ago I started looking for a distro for my laptop that would get out of my way but still provide a modern environment. I think I found that in Arch. Systemd (and no syslogd... well sorta) is going to take a bit of getting used to but I'm optimistic. I'm liking the rolling release cycle.

I'll probably have some questions but Arch seems uncommonly well documented, so I'll hold with those for now.

Board footer