You are not logged in.

#26 2007-09-18 22:07:47

Sekre

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Well, Hello once again fellow archers!

Name's Sebastian, aka Sekre aka a numerous other depending on situation.
Started using linux some seven years back, but always been at least dualbooting...bloody games hmm
Have had quite the trip meself,

Slack -> Red Hat -> Mandrake -> Slack -> Mandrake -> Slack -> Fedora -> Debian -> Ubuntu -> Gentoo

and got stuck on gent for 'bout a year or so. But I tend to mess to much with my system, and it's kinda tedious
to have a broken gentoo when you only have one computer. So went on a search and, pretty much random-picked
arch from the mass of distros out there.

And I can honsetly say that I couldn't be happier. Well that was a small lie, I still weep my self to sleep
for the lack of gaming support for linux and the lack of pleasing usability and most of all flexibility of windows.
Too bad if it were not for those reasons I would probably go arch all the way. hmm

Anyway, cheers arch staff and of course, cheers arch community ! cool

#27 2007-09-20 16:35:53

jo3

Heya Archers!
My name is Joey, I have been using Arch for about 2 months now, and Linux for about a year.
I am a network administrator of a 3000 node windows network. That is why I use Linux at home and on my work computer! smile
I came to Arch from Ubuntu, I never had any problems with ubuntu I just wanted full control over my computer and to know exactly what my machine had installed and was running. I love the "Arch way" and I don't see myself using any other distro.
The forums and wiki are great and I want to thank everyone involved in development of Arch and also people involved in documentation.

#28 2007-09-24 00:39:20

Wilson Phillips

Hello Archers! I have been using openSUSE for almost 3 years now. I have heard good things about Arch, and I must admit that I am quite tempted. That said, here I am. I'll go do some reading now. smile

Guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5.

#29 2007-09-30 15:00:28

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Thinking of loading Arch again Ubuntu is sooo out of date making me real lazy, only trouble is I may not have the unix skills to install Arch again.

Of course I miss my friends too

Mr Green

Mr Green

#30 2007-10-05 00:19:43

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

if [ $THREAD != "Arch is the best" ]; then
  echo 'HEYA!'
else
  echo 'HEYA ANYWAY!'
fi

I forgot when I first installed Arch, because I have never re-installed since. Probably less than 6 months that I'm sure because I remember I jumped on it straight after a satisfactory emerge -uvDN of my Gentoo DAW desktop some 5 months ago. I had Sabayon Linux (yes, zzzGentoozzz again, please don't stab me) on my laptop then and wanted to replace it, found Arch to be the best solution after I read Judd's comparisons.

One could probably build up a GNU/Linux system from anywhere and achieve the same results (though I doubt the perfection), but what matters in my case is productivity and time (as for my Gentoo DAW, it's a different story), and Arch is exactly the epitome of such an operating system. The strongest pull factor is the packaging system, because writing a PKGBUILD is a lot simpler than an ebuild or creating a DEB/RPM, and it almost means there is a complete level of transparency when it comes to installation of software (think not finding application x in official repositories/AUR). There is also the jiffy installation, and I do remember that I got KDE up and running in 45 mins at most.

This sounds dangerously familiar to the Arch is best thread lol Anyway, I'm proud to be an Archer (I can now wield a bow and arrow).

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#31 2007-10-15 18:07:48

SilentMan

Hello everyone! big_smile

#32 2007-10-16 10:34:56

a1ex

Hi. big_smile

I started experimenting with linux last year. First gentoo since i looked for something optimized in contrast to windows. It was quite interesting but only a VM installation. So I turned away from problems too fast and stopped playing with it. Later that year I had a look at Ubuntu, just to see how it works (Still VM).  I was quite dissapointed since the gui tools covered the system and I didnt learn how to figure things out myself (just look at the wiki, copy something and yay it works). Next time I reinstalled Windows I left some space for a later linux installation. In February 07 I searched for a good distro again, found arch, installed it and since then i'm a happy linux user smile (well, dual boot for gaming and editing stuff)

#33 2007-11-02 11:01:56

xd-0
Website

Hello everyone smile

Very nice distro (so far wink )
Looks like Im going to run arch for a while, so you have to excuse my bad english.
Anyway, installed it yesterday so it will take some days to get accustomed to the arch-way. But when thats done I hope I can be of some help on the forum.

#34 2007-11-02 17:09:30

Hrisebro

Hello.

Im from the cold contry of Norway O.o

#35 2007-11-03 22:39:51

dimaka
Website

Hello, I use Arch since October 2006 and still enjoy it cool

#36 2007-11-17 07:24:48

jeff777

Arch is exactly what I've been looking for.  I used Gentoo for years, but portage broke on me one too many times.  I went to Ubuntu, but the attempts to be user friendly kept getting in my way.  I went to Debian, which I liked more than Ubuntu, but still . . . what can I say about Debian . . . it's old and weird.  I thought about trying Slackware, but I installed it in a VM once and didn't like it. 

I wanted to stay away from a niche distribution, so I initially didn't want to try Arch.  When my Debian install broke, I figured I had nothing to loose.  So far, I've had far fewer issue with Arch than with Debian or Gentoo.  People in the forums have been really helpful.  My arch install is noticeable faster than Debian or Gentoo as well.  Arch's going to be my primary distribution for the foreseeable future.

BTW, I'm from Vancouver, Canada.  I work as an IT consultant for a medium sized company.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to integrate much Linux or open source stuff into my professional life.  I work mostly with active directory and commercial hardware firewalls.

#37 2007-11-17 08:27:22

mivo

Hi, everyone! smile

Michael is the name, I live in Germany and work for an US-based company in the community management and design field. I switched to Linux a little over two months ago (I had some FreeBSD exposure a few years ago, but this doesn't really count) and used Ubuntu and Fedora. The positive and competent messages on various boards about Arch sounded intriguing (they seemed genuine and without he taint of fanboyism), so I went ahead and put Arch on a spare box. It worked well and was fun, and so it took only another two days before I installed it on my regular desktop machine. I feel confident that I may have found "my" distro. smile

I was originally a little worried about the "for experienced and advanced Linux users" label, because that really isn't me.  I found, though, that Arch strikes a nice balance between "just works" and "challenging". The "pace" seems right for me. I learned quite a bit in the past few days, but never grew frustrated or felt overwhelmed. The forum and the Wiki are good resources.

The strong points for me are pacman, which I started a romance with almost immediately, AUR, and the "rolling release" desgin. The "every x month a new release, get ready to re-install" concept that most other distros use doesn't click with me. I don't need the bleeding edge that still drips and breaks my system twice a week, but the blood also shouldn't be brittle and fall off. I appreciate simplicity, want to know what's on my machine and understand what it is doing. "The Arch Way". Chances are that I'll ask plenty of slightly dumb questions, but I think I'm here to stay. smile

In short: "Hi!".

#38 2007-11-17 15:08:38

delphiki
Website

Hello Everyone! :-)

I started out using linux with slackware (circa 1998? - its been a while so i can't remember exactly) and dabbled around Debian for a year or two as well. I took a test drive of Arch more than a year and a half ago, but didn't actually join the forums and irc until recently. Why? you may ask, did you wait for that long. My standard answer is always this: It's better to get comfortable with a distro/project and to stick with it for long periods of time.

As free software communities go, you guys make Arch feel right at home! :-)

But basically, as far as I can tell, it looks like I am here to stay for at least the foreseeable future.

Glad to be a part of an excellent community,

#39 2007-11-18 10:39:44

lloeki
Website

I'm back. Good to see you again, guys&gals.

Last edited by lloeki (2007-11-18 10:40:10)

To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

#40 2007-11-18 11:34:41

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Lol tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#41 2007-11-24 17:20:48

foxbunny
Website

lloeki wrote:

I'm back. Good to see you again, guys&gals.

Already?! That was reeealy quick. smile

An, btw, welcome back.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-24 17:21:14)

#42 2007-11-24 22:52:29

HM

Hey hey,
I installed Arch a few weeks ago on our home-desktop which I can only access a few times per month since I am a lot up country (Mali) and I have not yet the courage to install it on my work-laptop (that runs Gutsy and virtual XP). Arch is fun but in my case also time consuming although I discover that Arch is in principle very logic and has a simple structure. It is blistering fast on my Athlon amd64 machine (faster than Debian Etch). Many thanks to the people who invested time end efforts in clear and very helpfull Wiki's and guiding responses on the forums.
I believe that the adoption for open source software should be a logical choice for developing countries. Although it's no problem to get cracked and hacked MS software (even the bleeding edge one's) I don't believe that's the way. For instance the modular approach in Grass (discover the richness of Grassaddons.....) could be very interesting to develop specific needs for local institutions. Open source software and free access to satelite data could boost the knowledge base of national institutions.
I am a modest distro hopper since August 2006. I have tried Debian testing (very stable and also fast), Vector, DSL (nice gadget) and Puppy (great on low end machines which are abundant here ....) , Ubuntu (the easy way and quickly productive) Trying out these different distro's was like Mick and Keith once convincingly performed: "you can't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need..." Untill I gave Arch a spin and was immediately fascinated by it's approach and performance.
Keep up the good work! And let's keep the forum a nice place to hang out.

"Munyal deefan hayre"  - patience can cook a stone; Fulfulde proverbe (...and finally a xmonad.hs running smile )

#43 2007-12-20 14:42:50

arctica

hey archers!

my name is isabel, I'm 24 years old and I come from Spain smile
I have been using Debian and Gentoo for a year, and I'm with Arch too since November (only one month, but I am completely in love with Arch big_smile)

my english is very bad, so I don't write in forums, but maybe I will try soon smile

greetings!! wink

#44 2007-12-30 22:41:52

Wilson Phillips

Just to follow up on my post above, I finally had time to do a clean format of my PC and load Arch this weekend. I must say that I am impressed with the speed. I have gotten most things working, including the forward/backward mouse buttons, and all the required daemons loading. Still need to get fstab to automatically mount my NAS share, but I have no doubt that I can make that work again.

Coming from openSUSE, there are a few things to get used to. Pacman is different, but blazing fast, and appears to handle the dependencies with aplomb. Having to edit config files makes me miss YaST, but it is not the end of the world. I know where the files are and it only takes a bit more time.

My hat is off to the developer team. You have created a fine distro. It is very efficient OS and something that you can be proud of. Thanks for all that hard work.

Guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5.

#45 2007-12-31 00:00:37

barry

I'm not really new here, been using Arch for a month or so now but thought I should say hi since I spotted the thread.

I've been using Linux on and off since 1996 and switched exclusively about three years ago moving from XP to Fedora Core onto Ubuntu then to Arch. I switched to Arch as I found that Ubuntu hid a lot of the stuff I should really know and I also wanted to get myself more clued to how Linux works as a lot of the stuff I'm doing at work now is quite technical Linux stuff.

Since switching I've discovered that Gnome and KDE are bloated and that Openbox is fantastic, I've also discovered Xmonad but the xmonad.hs file is my nemesis and the only thing stopping me from switching completely.

#46 2008-01-01 21:17:44

kraluz

Hi there!

I thought this thread deserved the first post . Not really a newbie here: 3 months of Ubuntu 6.06, then 1 year of Archlinux until today (and tomorrow, and after... smile ).

I tried out Ubuntu because we were using Linux in our university (C programming classes). I got hooked on bash in 5 minutes. But after using Ubuntu for a while I started feeling "tied up" (and a bit impatient, as Ubuntu is a somewhat slow, IMHO). So I went distro-hunting.

It turns out that if you stuff google with "linux distro lightweight simple fast" you end up here... smile

keep up the good work.

#47 2008-01-01 22:13:20

xpd259
Website

Hello World
I'm Dick from the UK,

I picked Arch as i need / wanted dm-crypt Luks on root with out the nightmare that is Gentoo and I had run out of other distro's to try ... i've tried 30+ so far sad(

Gentoo I love and used for  long time ( since ver 1.2??) but kept moving off to other distro's looking for that X factor they they all lacked or had but lacked the gentoo-ness i liked
SuSe /Fedora etc etc Dont' like how every thing is set up for you I like to have things as I want
Debian well i got flamed for asking a question so i had no time for that community
so here I am but i have to say
So far so well nothing has said run way yet and things i like are here
e.g having to edit config files to set stuff up and no gui, not having stuff i dont' want installed
big_smile

so keep up the gr8 work devs

#48 2008-01-06 21:13:16

phisphere
Website

So hello everyone then.
I'm from Estonia and I have been using Arch as my main desktop for six months.

I have been a Linux user for four years or so and I have tried different distros, before settling down with Arch.
In Arch I like the see-through system and also the community around this wonderful Linux distro.

Cheers from Estonia.

#49 2008-01-13 09:44:08

sijoku

Seems like a good place for my first post...

I'm an Australian living in Kielce, Poland, working as a engrish teacher, 34 years old, married to a Polish woman and we have a 7 month old son.

I've been with Arch+Xfce for about 6 months, having spent the previous year and a half with Fedora. I eliminated my Windows partition a few months ago in order to stop playing games and whilst life is tough without Civ 4, I'm getting alot more work done. In fact, I've been completely without games ever since!

I love the rolling release aspect of Arch Linux. Fedora was just a continuous cycle of downloading ISOs, re-installing and re-tweaking whereas Arch Linux lets me spend my time more productively, doing things that are important - it's become my new game; sudo pacman -Suy

Time to check for updates...

#50 2008-01-13 13:12:47

Rumor

sijoku wrote:

... and whilst life is tough without Civ 4, I'm getting alot more work done. In fact, I've been completely without games ever since!

Welcome Sijoku! I won't mention that Freeciv http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page is in the repositories somewhere or that FreeCol http://www.freecol.org/ is a *very* good game big_smile

Last edited by Rumor (2008-01-13 13:13:29)

Smarter than a speeding bullet
My Goodreads profile

Board footer