You are not logged in.

#5126 2016-01-05 16:23:21

drcouzelis
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Lumiette wrote:

I mean, if there's one thing that doesn't go according to plan when following that guide, e.g. I get an error that wasn't accounted for in the guide, then that stalls the whole process -- I'd have to live-boot look up and remember or write down a possible answer, which usually doesn't fix things right away, so I'd have to reboot and repeat the process at tedious length.

The live Arch Linux installation ISO comes with the web browser Elinks, which means you can access the Arch Linux forums and the Beginner's Guide at any time. ...hmmm, that should probably be better documented somewhere... tongue

I personally really like "man archlinux", but that might only be useful after getting used to the Beginner's Guide. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2016-01-05 16:23:54)

#5127 2016-01-06 13:35:22

Lumiette

drcouzelis wrote:

... you can access the Arch Linux forums and the Beginner's Guide at any time.

That works, if the failling step isn't getting LAN to work. (This happened to me several times)

drcouzelis wrote:

I personally really like "man archlinux", but that might only be useful after getting used to the Beginner's Guide. smile

I again didn't know that was a thing! I knew about man, but not that the topic 'archlinux' actually gives you a comprehensive list of where you might start looking. Thanks! big_smile

#5128 2016-01-08 05:11:17

hamidi

Hello, I am SiaSwar Baloch
I using linux for 7 years on my laptop. I tested many distros. So far I enjoyed Debian and xubuntu. I installed Arch for first time. I am a none working totally alone programmer. I uses linux as a home user so I do not know much about it.

#5129 2016-01-08 13:08:00

irishwoody

Hello all,

Quick hello to say "I've just moved to arch" ... it was a long process ..
I started with playing with ubuntu gutsy gibbon in 2007 ... then dual boot windows and linux for a couple of years until I was sure I could work fully with linux (and vmware worstations for those windows based apps I require).
Then moved to linux mint mate edition (when unity came to ubuntu in 2011);  Switched to mint kde for past 18 months or so;
For arch - I tested installed arch in vm last autumn and got all software I required installed before I finally took plunge over xmas break to flaten my machine and make arch a the machine OS.
Lots of learning along the way, the wiki is really superb - probably don't need to stray too far from it to get a full set of "how to"s - big thanks to all wiki contributors.
So today have system pretty much as I like it - plasma 5, vmware workstation, firefox, chrome, telegram, thunderbird, wine, luckybackup, timeshift, teamvierwer, remmina, zim, okular, gimp, vlc, radiotray, libreoffice, ms office(under wine), filezilla, keepassx, sublimetext, kdeconnect, ssh, cups printing, moc, mc  .... all working in arch  !
I have a couple of very minor niggles 
a. tray icon for remmina, skype, teamviewer) not showing or not showing correctly.
b. windows decorations dissappear on occasion (about once per day until yesterday)
I can live with these for moment and no doubt they will be sorted as plasma 5 gets full traction resulting from more users switching from 4 and disros using plasma 5.
Its been great to do the upgrade and find all the software I use in repos or  bu using aur - no other sources used.
Irishwoody

#5130 2016-01-10 05:29:18

baarok

Hi All

I just switched to arch linux 2 weeks ago after 2 years using ubuntu, i'm really impressed for using arch linux i didn't found any crash report since my first install and after installed many application in arch linux , by the way i'm is a systems and network engineer and i want to deep learn about linux since linux is more secure than windows

I hope i can learn from other who more expert in linux

Warm Regards

Yusron

#5131 2016-01-10 08:07:55

hermesJ

Hi everyone

I'm about to transition to Arch, but currently running on Mint. I decided to transition to Arch mainly because of the kickass wiki. I've been trying to set up a decent virtual windows environment for my university work which involves adobe suite and solidworks. I keep jumping in between incomplete guides/tutorials and I've had enough. I keep hearing how good the Arch community is and I have a lot to learn, hopefully the move will prove fruitful.

regards,
J.

#5132 2016-01-10 13:01:55

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

drcouzelis wrote:
Lumiette wrote:

I mean, if there's one thing that doesn't go according to plan when following that guide, e.g. I get an error that wasn't accounted for in the guide, then that stalls the whole process -- I'd have to live-boot look up and remember or write down a possible answer, which usually doesn't fix things right away, so I'd have to reboot and repeat the process at tedious length.

The live Arch Linux installation ISO comes with the web browser Elinks, which means you can access the Arch Linux forums and the Beginner's Guide at any time. ...hmmm, that should probably be better documented somewhere... tongue

Right now, the BG only mentions elinks as a way to access captive portals ... haven't come up with something statisfactory yet. Feel free to contribute. smile

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5133 2016-01-11 05:16:33

MrGrim

Hi All,

I'm using Arch as a learning tool to get to know the nuts and bolts of Linux.  I've been using Linux for a few years but never dug too deep into the system, other than learning how to do basic things.  I've been lurking the forums for a couple months now and wanted to join up.

#5134 2016-01-11 12:08:25

fromminttoarch

Hi everyone,

some kind of linux is running on my laptop for a few years now. I started with Ubuntu and made the switch to Linux Mint just before 12.10 -- no shopping lens for me thank you. From early on the arch wiki helped me from time to time with its high quality articles and soon I became interested in Arch Linux itself. Before moving from Linux Mint to Arch Linux, I tested it on my old laptop for a couple of weeks. Since mid-December 2015 I am now running Arch Linux only. My main practical reason to make the transition was the rolling release model. But the Arch Way really convinced me. Hopefully, arch will be easier to maintain in the long run compared to standard release models. And along the way I hope to learn a few things about linux in general and Arch Linux in particular.

Best regards

#5135 2016-01-15 21:37:48

bokakob

Hello, everyone!
I joined because I like Arch Linux philosophy. 
I also like using it to keep me constantly busy instead of updating stable distro
once every two or three years...
Best regards to everyone!

Trolls are deceitful often using ambivalence as a method of covertly insulting, intimidating, or inciting a person or persons for their own sadistic pleasure. They pick their words very carefully and are therefore able to defend their masked attempts at creating unrest, frequently redirecting the blame onto the community and its supposed failure to understand them properly. Trolling is prohibited.

#5136 2016-01-17 12:44:36

xtrusion

Hello all!

I have been using Linux Mint for a year but I decided to change to Arch Linux in order to learn more about how Linux works, so I have taken it as a challenge. Other reason why I switched to Arch Linux is because of the great community it has. So I am very pleased to could say hello to all.

Best regards!

#5137 2016-01-17 14:11:15

Cradow

Hello everyone!

I have been using Linux for almost 5 years, but only the past 2 years more actively (before that, it was just in the dual boot and that was it, lol). My brother brought me a few years ago to Linux. My name is Fabian and I started at frist with Linux Mint version 9 or so. After a while it got boring, so I decided to try around and install a few distros (first in a virtual machine, later a real installation).
For two years I have been using Arch Linux, I'm still using it and will continue to use it. I decided to use Arch Linux because it is very lightweight, gives you very system level control over your system and you can do whatever you want. Also the fact that it is a rolling release distribution convinced me to use it. With Arch Linux I learned how to handle some things (e.g. errors), how (parts of) the system works and how to abstract that knowledge to other systems (esp. Windows and other Linux distributions). At last, the really overwhelmingly big wiki, the community and forums and the very big amount of packages in and out of the official repos are a big reason to join here and to stay.

Kind regards,

Cradow

P.S.: Besides, I like the Arch Linux blue very much :-D

Last edited by Cradow (2016-01-17 14:12:38)

#5138 2016-01-17 14:21:36

Simurgh

Hello dear community,

Currently I am studying Mathematics and hope to get my Bachelor's degree this year.
I used Ubuntu/Debian/Mint for about 6 years and helped out in administrating a 50 Users/Engines network (Ubuntu-based) for a year.
Somehow I found some minor things in Ubuntu unpleasing and furthermore I wanted a bit of a challenge system wise.
And Arch Linux sounded very promising to me.
My "favorite" problems are the proprietary AMD driver and Secure Boot.
My mother tongue is not English but I am trying hard to write understandable sentences.
My native language is C++ and my favorite coding projects are in the numerical analysis / algorithmic field.
Mostly I use applications like pdflatex, gcc and various IDEs besides the standards.
Furthermore I am interested in Steam/Games on Linux.

Besides tech I like doing sports, especially Karate, and good things, like good food, good books, good weather.

I hope Arch works well for me and a good community I can contribute to.

See you in the Newbie Corner.

Signature is WIP

#5139 2016-01-17 17:40:51

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Simurgh wrote:

I like doing sports, especially Karate

Boy am I glad I was nice to you in your thread big_smile

Welcome to Arch!

#5140 2016-01-18 17:57:58

4c3d14

Hello everyone!
I've been using Arch for nearly a year by now, and I hadn't joined this forum as...well, Arch is my third distro after Mint and Neptune, and I had used both Mint and Neptune for ~2 months before I decided I wanted to tinker more. By now, I have probably gone through 5+(:D heh, I keep breaking something and learning something new) reinstalls of Arch, sometimes Cinnamon, sometimes Cinnamon+Openbox, and now KDE+Openbox.

So...yeah, I'm a Linux newbie and an Arch newbie as well.
I'm new to BASH scripting(my first script, albeit a copied one, gave me much to rejoice) and I like minimalist environments.
The one thing I hate most in my use of Arch is that the catalyst driver NEVER seems to work on the latest kernels.
I'll probably lurk about this forum after my post, but lets keep that for the future, shall we?

#5141 2016-01-19 04:39:26

sgtbigman

Hello all,

I've been using Arch Linux for over a year now, so I felt it was finally time to start participating on the forums (we shall see if said participation continues)! tongue

I just wanted to take a chance to thank the countless number of people that have helped, and continue to help,  provide such an awesome distro and tool to everyone willing to accept The Arch Way.

#5142 2016-01-20 14:43:44

Oinkium

Hi!  I'm John and I've just started a PhD in Computer Science at the University of Bath in the UK under Jim Laird and Alessio Guglielmi (who is the former supervisor of Arch developer Tom Gundersen). 

My love affair with Arch Linux started this summer.  I'd used Linux before - Centos and Red Hat - and I'd bought my current laptop specifically in order to be able to dual-boot Linux on it.  I like to mess around and customize things, and I can't stand huge applications that do nothing but slow down your system, so Arch was a natural choice for me.  I bought a USB stick and used it to put Arch on my laptop.  Since then, I've become obsessed with installing Arch on any piece of computer hardware I own - so far I've installed it on USB sticks, on my Raspberry Pi and on my locked-down Windows 7 University computer (which was practically unusable out of the box). 

I like Arch because it's let me build a completely minimal system very easily so I can get on with important things as quickly as possible.  I use i3 on all my Arch installations, and it's become a pain trying to use anything else.   

Oh, and sorry to all you Emacs-ers out there, but I've been using Vim for years and I wouldn't dream of using anything else.

#5143 2016-01-20 15:13:25

nomorewindows

Oinkium wrote:

I like to mess around and customize things, and I can't stand huge applications that do nothing but slow down your system, so Arch was a natural choice for me.  I bought a USB stick and used it to put Arch on my laptop.  Since then, I've become obsessed with installing Arch on any piece of computer hardware I own - so far I've installed it on USB sticks, on my Raspberry Pi and on my locked-down Windows 7 University computer (which was practically unusable out of the box).

Hold on there a minute.  Join the rest of us who have had to enlist in the Archoholics Anonymous, and sit down and have a drink.  Oops, now we'll also have to join Alcoholics Anonymous.  Don't drink and compute!  Maybe we should have tacos instead.

Sounds like you'll fit in around here. 

I still haven't been able to get Arch on my kerosene powered cheese grater, but I'm still hoping!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5144 2016-01-20 15:19:51

ewaller
Administrator

Oinkium wrote:

Oh, and sorry to all you Emacs-ers out there, but I've been using Vim for years and I wouldn't dream of using anything else.

Welcome.  It's okay... According to RMS, "Using a free version of vi is not a sin but a penance."

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5145 2016-01-21 16:38:11

JollyRoo

Hi everyone,

I have been using Arch for nearly a year now. Kept trying out news distros but none ever satisfied me, until I tried Arch. I won't be going anywhere soon, I guess.

Even though I never registered on the forum, I've spent quite a lot of time here. I'm probably not gonna stop hanging around any time soon, so I thought I might as well finally create an account and say hello to everyone.

And by the way, just wanted to say thank you to the countless people around here who have helped me solve my issues (even if they don't know it). smile

#5146 2016-01-21 18:57:45

djh712

Hello, Arch Community! As my first thread on this forum, I just wanted to say thank you to all the wiki and forum contributors (and, of course, the software developers as well). I've been running Arch on my laptop for a little while now and on my desktop for a few weeks. Arch is my first Linux distribution (switching from Windows) and, though certainly a challenge (with respect to installing/maintaining/customizing other operating systems), the process of setting up Arch has been fairly painless thanks to the two excellent resources, the forums and the wiki. So thanks, Arch community, for all your help.

#5147 2016-01-21 19:07:13

djh712

Hello, everyone. I've been using Arch for a little while (on my Laptop and more recently on my desktop) and thanks to the wonderful Arch wiki and forum archives, I haven't yet come across a problem that required posting something here. Thus, I am creating an account to say hello and see if there isn't something I can contribute to.

#5148 2016-01-21 19:38:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5149 2016-01-23 00:37:41

Mach_Juan

Hello All.

I'm not sure I belong here.  I'm not a programmer or sysadmin anywhere.  Just a guy who likes to fiddle around with technology.
I started playing around with linux back when Red Hat first hit the mainstream news around 1996-7.  I got it up and running soon enough, but it was just too unpolished yet for my needs.
Over the years I've checked in from time to time and installed various distros to see what the state of things were, but with kids in school who needed things to work and be compatible, I still couldn't justify the jump.

Anyways, all that has changed now.  My computer is 100% mine now and I've finally had it with Microsoft.

So, I decided on Arch because its just plain vanilla linux and wont try and update my desktop look and feel on me or load a bunch of crap Ill never use on it.
So, I got my system up and running in dual boot.  I solved several issues along the way just reading the wiki.  I still have a couple persistent things I'm trying to fix like my dhcp service not starting consistently on boot up...
Anyways, I'm on a mission to transition from dual boot to booting into arch with windows 7 on a vm by the end of 2016.  I still have a couple windows apps I just cant leave behind, but they are few.  Might look into wine.

The only thing on the horizon that might make me keep windows around longer is I'm going to be getting into cnc stuff...3d printing and probably a laser cutter...I haven,t played around with the linux cad software yet, but reviews make it seem pretty rough.

So, Im probably in over my head here, but im confident Ill catch up fairly quickly.  Ill try and not noob it up in the forums.

#5150 2016-01-23 23:24:05

MohseN-r

Hello everyone,
i`m not a developer nor a professional programmer i`m just working on statistical computational algorithmes, because of that i found linux OS very fast and useful. i`v been using linux for two years, ubuntu -> mint -> opensuse -> fedora  -> arch it`s been six month that i`m using arch linux on my laptop and i feel it`s the most complete and sophisticated distro. thanks to awesome and well categorized arch wiki i`v learned so much about linux world until now. smile
nice idea opening this thread thou big_smile

Board footer