You are not logged in.

#5251 2016-03-22 22:43:45

nick@archpi2

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't realized there was a separate forum for Arm support so I have signed up on there as well.

ewaller wrote:

If you are looking to expand your knowledge further, next you should install Arch on an x86_64 system.  smile

I certainly will do when I have some spare x86_64 hardware available smile

#5252 2016-03-23 21:27:14

UltrasonicMadness
Website

Hello everyone. I have been using Linux since mid-2013 when I heard Windows XP was going out of support and I didn't want to buy another time-limited OS from Microsoft. I tried Ubuntu a couple of times many years ago, but the wireless adapter I used at the time didn't work with Linux at all.

I started out using Fedora 19 KDE Edition and used different versions of Fedora (Xfce, MATE, etc) on and off until recently. I enjoyed using Fedora and would still probably recommend it along with RPM Fusion for people who may find Arch intimidating, as I did. The main thing I didn't like about it was updating it twice a year, which I felt was quite a lot for an operating system, so I decided to try Arch Linux because I liked the idea of having a rolling-release operating system which I could completely customise to my liking.

The ArchWiki is very comprehensive, which is very useful for knowing how to configure new software and I also find the Arch Way interesting - although I may not be a strict adherent of it, what with my use of firewalld.

#5253 2016-03-24 03:06:25

ssonicblue

Hey everybody!

I've been using Linux day-to-day since 2012, when I put Ubuntu on a laptop out of necessity more than anything. Currently I'm stuck behind the Great Firewall of China with no computing hardware save for my trusty Acer C720 chromebook.

I recently realized I was spending too much time working on Ubuntu- or Mint-specific software without getting much in return, so I installed Arch. My hope is that this will both increase my understanding of the software running on my computer, and give me back some performance. Both are going along swimmingly so far.

I'm also eager to contribute to anything needing a rewrite. The Arch wiki is one of the most comprehensive sources of information on the internet when it comes to Linux and associated software, and I've used it frequently before (not to mention whilst bumbling my way through the installation process), so I feel like I have a debt to pay back.

Glad to be part of the party smile

Last edited by ssonicblue (2016-03-24 03:06:52)

#5254 2016-03-24 10:50:59

cross0310

Hello everyone nice to join this forum
I've use linux for 1 year or more and tried various distro, and i must admit that arch linux is one of the best distro i've ever used
hope this forum would help me to understand linux better
cheers
big_smile

#5255 2016-03-24 13:34:13

SanskritFritz
Website

cross0310 wrote:

hope this forum would help me to understand linux better

Your hope is justified.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#5256 2016-03-24 13:40:24

zero85

Hi everyone,

i'm testing/working with windows for several years, tested many distros, my servers are only debian. the most time i used debian on my laptops but with my new laptop there were to many problems i couldnt go thru. on my last laptop i had multiboot debian + arch and loved arch, so i tried it on my new laptop and everything is up and running. So, from now on, i'm a great fan of Arch and its my only distro for my desktops smile

greetz

#5257 2016-03-24 18:27:26

linkms

Hey to everyone. Iam new in arch community. I installed ist on my Laptop and my Desktop.
All fine. Arch is great.

#5258 2016-03-25 09:42:32

ghost_shadow

Hello community,

nice to see you all here smile. I am coming from Slackware and I want to check Arch for first time. What I see it's really nice. Good distro with nice community. I hope that we learn much more together.

Thank you,

#5259 2016-03-25 23:24:59

lapsa

hello world

#5260 2016-03-25 23:45:25

Y guy

hey guys,

maybe I release my modified yaourt-gui in here soon

its now much better without the tedious stupid confirmations. quick to switch on or off in bash source

#5261 2016-03-29 16:18:21

andrewj720

Wotcha

I've finally come to Arch after 15 years of 'ready-made' distros. Started  in 2001 with Mandrake, then to Redhat, SuSE, and many others. Settled on Ubuntu desktop (I'm the one who thinks Unity DE is good) in 2007 and not budged since.

Thought it was time to try Arch to see what the hoo-haa is about. Presently running Arch with Gnome in Virtualbox on my Ubuntu server.

Am finding pacman a joy to work with.

#5262 2016-03-29 18:21:22

ArttuH5N1

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Hi everyone. Started from Mint. Moved through Debian, Ubuntu and Manjaro before coming to Arch. So far so good. I like it. Maybe I'll stick around with this one, hah. (That's what they always say.)

Last edited by ArttuH5N1 (2016-03-29 19:32:40)

#5263 2016-03-31 14:28:04

mozzie

Hello There!

Thanks to the short outage of the Architect Linux Repository and a new Skylake PC, i was forced to install Arch the usual way and it worked like a charm.

I have several years of Debian experience (primary servers) and tried a lot of Desktop distros in the past, but Arch seems to be (till now) the best Desktop distro for me. The only issue, everything else feels outdated now.

#5264 2016-04-02 17:53:49

tmiddleton

Hello everyone -

I've been an on-and-off linux user since the early slackware stack-of-floppies install days, but I don't think that I've ever used it as a primary OS.

I've mostly been an OSX user because that has a nice unix-y kernel/shell married to a sensible compositor/graphics stack (ie it doesn't use X11).

I've sort of decided, though, that I'm not going to buy another mac. Mostly because
1. They're very expensive now, arguably more so than they were 10 years ago,
2. I'm not that interested in laptops anymore (and the only macs really worth getting are laptops anyways)
3. Apple has hopelessly complexified OSX with a crazy number of services/daemons for things I don't care about, don't want, and would like to remove but can't because of a web of dependencies (like notificationd, icloud/ubiquity, all the addressbook daemon nonsense, etc). Gone are the salad days of OSX 10.4 and it's beautiful simplicity.

Things that I'm really impressed about with Arch linux so far:
1. pacman is the best package manager I've ever used, by far. It's so much easier to figure out how to do complicated things with pacman than apt-get, like forcing dependency manipulation and tracking changes (a la lostfiles).
2. All roads seem to lead to Arch. Whenever I do a web search for some linux userspace component like alsa, pulseaudio, systemd, NetworkManager, etc, the first or second result is almost always an Archwiki page. The Arch community seems to have an outsize share of technical knowledge about linux.
3. When something in a package seems really broken or wrong, it's crazy-easy to fix/patch it with the Arch Build System. This is just a huge advantage.
4. I have yet to find a weird/obscure package that I haven't found on the AUR. I haven't had to do a bare make/make install to /usr/local yet since using Arch.

#5265 2016-04-03 12:44:37

MarkS

Hi guys,
thanks to everyone involved for the great wiki, hope the forum is just as nice!

#5266 2016-04-04 20:31:59

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

tmiddleton wrote:

I haven't had to do a bare make/make install to /usr/local yet since using Arch.

And especially thanks to the easy to use ABS (that you already discovered) you'll never have to. Package manage everything! smile

#5267 2016-04-04 22:01:58

gwnichol

Hello all, I'm a noob to Arch.. It took me like 20 minutes and searching into the internet just to answer the security question hmm I do really like arch and I hope to rebuild my system into vanilla arch. I will probably also install Arch on my Kubuntu laptop.

#5268 2016-04-05 05:18:56

x33a
Forum Fellow

gwnichol wrote:

Hello all, I'm a noob to Arch.. It took me like 20 minutes and searching into the internet just to answer the security question hmm

This shows that you don't give up easily. You should be fine using Arch with this attitude.

#5269 2016-04-06 04:44:01

zenlogick

Hello everyone, first time poster here!

My GNU/Linux journey started a few years ago with an experiment of trying Ubuntu after facing the need for a 4th recovery of Windows in as many months. I quickly fell in love with Linux, but even as a beginner felt somewhat restricted by Ubuntu's hand-holding. As soon as I had some more free time during which I could risk having an only semi-functional computer, I went through the process of tasting different distros. During this time the Arch Way always appealed to me but I wasn't confident in my knowledge of Linux yet to trust myself with that level of self-determination. I settled on Crunchbang for a while, but my particular laptop faced a well-known overheating and power management bug with in Crunchbang's Debian base, so I went back to Ubuntu until I had some time to try other distros again. Finally, I tried Arch, managed to install and create a somewhat functioning system from following the wiki, but my still relatively limited understanding of Linux kept causing me to hit walls when trying to tweak and optimize my setup, so I gave Archbang a go with the thought of leapfrogging into an Arch-like system with a slightly easier learning curve. After having used Archbang for a while, and having added and removed packages extensively until my setup barely resembles Archbang anymore, I now feel comfortable enough to install Arch from scratch on my recently purchased Lenovo T450 - which is exactly what I will do next week when I have the time and attention to do so.

As for me personally, I study and research the social and political theory of technology and appreciate the Arch Way of emphasising DIY user-centrism and self-determination without sacrificing simplicity, minimalism, and elegance. Although I know that one of the principles of Arch is that it is supposed to be pragmatic rather than ideological, I would be inclined to disagree, arguing that Arch strikes the perfect balance between pragmatism and idealism. The Arch community subscribes to a particular worldview of technology's role in society, of individual responsibility for self-determination existing in the context of community and of minimalist-but-functional technology empowering users to "pay attention to the man behind the curtain", all while adopting a pragmatic commitment to flexibility and bending of the Arch principles if needed to ensure functionality, echoing Orwell's development of 6 rules for writing clear and simple prose, the sixth of which is to "break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous."

Thank you to the Arch community for providing exactly what I have been looking for in a GNU/Linux distro - I look forward to being more involved with and getting to know a community of like-minded Arch enthusiasts.

#5270 2016-04-10 12:02:11

Lizzian
Website

Hai, I'm Lizzian.
First got into Arch through my 2nd Raspberry Pi, Amelius, because I wanted a fast and lightweight distribution.
Second main arch install was on my laptop (Orlin) to replace the (rather unused) Linux Mint install on there that got broken when I upgraded my windows install to 10 from 8.1 (a change I reverted about a week later). I mainly do stuff on the Linux consoles but if I need a gui application (for instance, Firefox to browse the Arch wiki) I can manually start the MATE session.

My newest Arch install is on my main rig (named Moros), it hasn't been set up past basic stuff yet but it'll get there. Too busy playing games smile

I do have plans to move my servers (Janus [vps] & Athar [dedi]) from Debian 8 to Arch because I'm tired of outdated software but I have too much stuff to migrate over so it's gonna take a while.

Also if anyone can guess what I name my devices after you get an imaginary cake

This is a signature!

#5271 2016-04-10 12:05:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Welcome to Arch!

Lizzian wrote:

if anyone can guess what I name my devices after you get an imaginary cake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_c … n_Stargate

big_smile

#5272 2016-04-10 12:16:51

Lizzian
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Welcome to Arch!

Lizzian wrote:

if anyone can guess what I name my devices after you get an imaginary cake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_c … n_Stargate

big_smile

big_smile Your imaginary cake should be with you soon!

This is a signature!

#5273 2016-04-12 04:04:27

defce74

Hi there, I've managed to get an Arch system running w/xfce as a virtualbox guest inside windows 10, on my 8-year old desktop computer. I need windows because I do music production using Ableton, and they currently dont offer a linux version. I chose Arch because it was lightweight and customisable and that I would learn a lot about linux, and I wanted to get back into programming. in the past I've gone with Ubuntu distros, but I find that ubuntu/Unity runs poorly as a virtual guest on my aging desktop. so here I am!

#5274 2016-04-13 16:18:27

Wandrin

Hi guys, i'm new on Arch and i installed it after two years of Xubuntu cause... i wanted a distro with more console and less GUI to learn something new about linux in general.
Well now i feel very good with Arch
Hope to be helpfull and to learn even more

#5275 2016-04-13 18:50:55

Wolfsteinen

Hi, I'm newbie in this distro, but I'll learn fast.

Good afternon.

Board footer