You are not logged in.

#5351 2016-05-26 07:05:17

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

mis wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to Arch. My Linux journey started about ten years ago with debain and gentoo.
After a while I switched to Arch and stayed with it. (it was the 0.7.2 iso, I think...)
For the last three years I was a Windows only user, but now using (Arch) Linux again.

Have a nice day! smile
mis

Woah, I didn't even know that Arch Linux had non year based version numbers!

#5352 2016-05-27 14:14:54

BeerGeekGamer

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to Arch and brand new to Linux in general. Just got my system up and running, and I must say the wiki is awesome. Was able to follow it easily and was able to successfully install Arch and Xfce with out any real issues. I'm excited to start learning Linux and excited to start developing on my new Linux box.

#5353 2016-05-27 15:40:48

Texbrew

Welcome aboard, BeerGeekGamer, from another beer geek. Have fun with Arch Linux.

Cheers!

tex

#5354 2016-05-27 20:41:21

madpierre

I'm not given to posting hello's but in this case I'll deviate from the norm. First and foremost, I'd like to thank all those who've been so generous in sharing their work in the form of high-quality packages. The "unwashed masses" seem compelled to bitch and whine about the void while others roll up their sleeves and selflessly fill it. Well done. Again, thanks. Your efforts are appreciated. Perhaps, in time, I'll reciprocate.

Speaking of Arch specifically and GNU/Linux in general, my skill level lies somewhere between non-existent and wizard; the former being the more likely candidate. During the mid '90's I briefly toyed with Linux. But alas, work as a service technician allowed little time for LFS. Circa 2007 I once again perused Debian and took a look at Ubuntu. Yes, time was still at a premium. Hence, I wasn't moved to pursue either distro. During the dawn of 2014 I became completely fed up with Windoze and Macro Slop. I spent an intense week tearing into roughly twenty distro's, giving them a run for my money if you will. Priorities of the hour demanded as close to plug-n-play as was possible. Linux Mint won, hands down. Some tweaking was, of course, required. Nonetheless, it was the best of Ubuntu and Debian per my opinion. As time progressed, I dabbled with CentOS a bit more as well. Yet, Mint remained the go-to distro. Today, time is less of a factor. Arch now hosts Arch and Mint on my primary machine. LFS may also find a guest spot as well. Only time will tell. LAMP is the current focus of my attention- business endeavor.

My approach is eclectic: the best tool for the job as it were. Hence, I use the terminal as well as a GUI for OS management. My choice of distro's follows the same philosophy.

What brought me to Arch? Nature and gravity.

All the best to one and all.

Last edited by madpierre (2016-05-28 21:41:36)

#5355 2016-05-28 09:34:41

elgambitero

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and currently in a personal quest to explore The Arch Way of life.

Recently switched from Mint to Apricity OS to get a taste of Arch Linux mechanics, and when I feel ready to choose everything, I'll switch to Arch.

I really like the amount of info that is available at the wiki, and the fact that any obscure package is available in the AUR. It is notable too that, even using a "caffeine free" distro variant such as Apricity, I've learned a lot about my computer since I made the switch.

With luck, this can be the beginning of a great friendship.

Greetings

#5356 2016-05-28 16:28:52

spin-spin

Hello!

I recently moved form debian (a year ago, it is a short or a long time?). I like a lot the idea of simplicity and pragmatism of the arch way, is better to have choices.
I am not English-native speaker therefore sometimes I will mix words and grammatical stuff.

#5357 2016-05-29 08:39:08

MiharuRen
Website

Hi i have been using arch for a year or so now i moved from ubuntu to arch because of the arch way, i currently have my arch desktop set up with the gnome desktop and numix icon theme. There is no better distro then ArchLinux in my opinion.

#5358 2016-05-29 13:43:39

crystaldust

I'm new to Arch, but I love it! Feels great working and playing with Arch!

#5359 2016-05-29 13:59:19

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to the forums. smile

Mod note: Merging with the existing thread.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5360 2016-05-29 14:36:21

kelaun

Hello,
Brand new to Arch Linux (installed yesterday) I was using Manjaro Linux for one year, but decided I wanted the real thing.

#5361 2016-05-30 14:34:39

JasonHockeyPuck

Hello everyone,

I've installed Arch a few times before, but this time i want to dive deeper in it. If I wasn't an addicted gamer, I wouldn't even dual boot with Windows.

#5362 2016-05-30 20:00:33

sjaak

Hello everyone,

A classic 'posts-nothing-watches-intensively' kinda guy here, but I wanted to at least introduce myself.

I became interested in privacy and security like 2 months ago and naturally Windows has to go. So I tested Linux Mint just to check things out and how they work. However as time passed and some duckduckgo searches were done, I noticed how amazing your Wiki is. For that reason alone I wanted to switch over to Arch + the fact that I'll learn much more about GNU/Linux here instead of running Linux Mint.

Thank you for making this world a little more awesome with an amazing distro smile.

With kind regards,

Sjaak (Didn't know the username was linked to my username on my linux lol)

#5363 2016-05-31 16:23:22

kiovu

hello everybody !!! up and running arch linux in two different laptops since a couple of weeks and work fine and i m still learning. and the wiki and forums are greats. ciao from italy :)

#5364 2016-06-02 14:17:42

rjpinheiro
Website

Hi, I'm new to the Arch forums, but I'm very experienced using Linux, since 1998. I'm used to so many distros... But Arch became a interesting option. I hope I can help you too.

Ricardo Jurczyk Pinheiro - ricardojpinheiro@gmail.com
Of course it runs Linux!
Unix: Live free or die.

#5365 2016-06-04 16:00:17

SBArch

First post. Been lurking here for a while, have run Arch off and on since last year. I started with Linux in 1995 and was on Gentoo from 2002 to 2008, then did some distro hopping when Gentoo went all to hell organizationally.

The thing I like about Arch is that it is utterly butter smooth and problem free (for me at least) on what I run--an old Acer netbook as i travel a lot and need a secure method of generating work-related paperwork.

I have an old Acer Aspire One with a single core 1.6Ghz atom, 2 gigs of ram and an SSD running LXQT .  Arch boots in literally 7 or 8 seconds to desktop, ready to work.  I tried every-single-one of the other "lightweight" distros, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Antergos with Openbox, Manjaro with XFCE, and many other distros over the past year, and found them sluggish, or in the case of Antergos and Majaro, somewhat buggy,  compared to plain Arch installed from the CD or CHROOTED from a live USB. I have a big battery that will last 9 hours, and its still easy enough to carry the whole thing around in my hand.

I do office work on it, I use it as a wifi hotspot for whatever internet I get where I am working or in hotels, web browsing, watching movies on occasion. Oh theres another thing: On plain Arch I can actually watch a ripped movie with subs below 1080P smoothly --on the other distros there would stuttering and sync problems. etc.

This years upgrade is going to be a Thinkpad with SSD, i5 or I7 and 12 inch screen like an x220.

Edit: actual boot time:
[bob@acl ~]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3.654s (kernel) + 3.423s (userspace) = 7.078s

Last edited by SBArch (2016-06-06 03:52:33)

#5366 2016-06-04 17:46:50

Texbrew

SBArch wrote:

I have an old Acer Aspire One with a single core 1.6Ghz atom, 2 gigs of ram and an SSD running LXQT .  Arch boots in literally 7 or 8 seconds to desktop, ready to work.

This may be the best reason I have read for using an SSD. The fact that it makes a fairly low spec laptop run Arch like a bullet train is impressive to me, assuming the SSD is the reason for the fast boot times you get.

Running Arch 64 bit on a Thinkpad r61 with 2.0 Ghz processor, 2Gb ram  on a "conventional" hard drive, It boots to desktop faster than any other linux distro I have used on any machine, but it takes 30 to 40 seconds to log in, maybe 5 seconds to openbox desktop.

Speed envy may push me to buy an SSD...

tex

#5367 2016-06-04 18:57:57

Ulver

How's everyone doing? I am new to Linux --been an OS X user-- but figured it was time my butt moved over to Linux, seeing how I am a CS major and all. I have already learned quite a bit from the install and I am looking to learn a lot more from the forums and the wiki.

Cheers to all the members of the Arch (and Linux community) for the wonderful manuals and wiki you folks have worked so hard on.

#5368 2016-06-04 21:13:52

SBArch

Texbrew wrote:

Running Arch 64 bit on a Thinkpad r61 with 2.0 Ghz processor, 2Gb ram  on a "conventional" hard drive, It boots to desktop faster than any other linux distro I have used on any machine, but it takes 30 to 40 seconds to log in, maybe 5 seconds to openbox desktop.

Speed envy may push me to buy an SSD...

tex

30-40 seconds is still a while. Even on a HDD with the Acer it didn't take that long.  But the SSD for sure will make a difference. They are cheap enough that it's worth buying to check it out.

Do you have a great many services to get started on boot?

#5369 2016-06-05 02:04:09

chiiidog

Hello. Mid-20s Civil Engineer and long time OS X user here. I'm new to Arch and Linux in general (installed Arch yesterday). My intro to Linux was about a year ago when I got a raspberry pi. Got an old Dell Precision T5500 workstation for free that my company was getting rid of and decided to install Linux on it for fun/as a home server/because Windows sucks. Tested Ubuntu in Virtualbox on my MacBook Pro first and decided I wanted to go a bit deeper than that . Took me about 4 tries to install Arch (disk formatting and bootloader issues), but I finally got it working. Struggling with some VNC issues at the moment but everything else is working well enough.

#5370 2016-06-06 09:47:29

HypicSnoph

This is my first real attempt at using linux of any sort. Still working out the command line, I've been running it off a usb stick for maybe an hour, and I'm still reading through the wiki to learn how to install permanently onto a hard drive. I'm so new at this, I barely worked out what to do with the forum captcha, but after a minute or two of staring blankly at it, and some help from google, I made it here smile

Wish me luck.

And hello to all smile

#5371 2016-06-06 10:56:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Good luck Hypic.  Do expect challenges.  Archlinux is designed for experienced linux users - and may quite likely provide a fair bit of frustration at the start for someone brand new to linux.  However, I persoanlly don't think level of experience with linux is really that relevant - a much better indicator of success (or not) with arch is the approach one has when faced with a novel challenge.  And if some googling turned the Captcha from a complete black box to a solved problem, then you should do quite well here.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5372 2016-06-06 14:42:45

Texbrew

SBArch wrote:

30-40 seconds is still a while. Even on a HDD with the Acer it didn't take that long.  But the SSD for sure will make a difference. They are cheap enough that it's worth buying to check it out.

Do you have a great many services to get started on boot?

I checked again, from grub menu to slim login screen, 30 seconds. After my user password entry to openbox desktop, 5 seconds. Using Debian with Gnome desktop on a machine with the same processor speed, boot times are around 1 minute. I'm happy with the difference in startup times, but your post has me desiring an SSD drive.

To your question of  services to get started, I suppose there are more than necessary. When I installed arch on the r61, I chose to install both gnome-terminal and xfce terminal, as an example. So this Arch install may be slightly bloated. As an Arch newbie trying to avoid omitting some needed package, I installed all optional dependencies. With my next bare-metal Arch install, I will attempt to only install packages which provide the desired functionality. Simply put, see how well things work before going after optional dependencies.

Apologies if my answer includes too much detail, and thank you for your post in this thread.

tex

#5373 2016-06-06 15:05:43

Texbrew

Trilby wrote:

Good luck Hypic.  Do expect challenges.  Archlinux is designed for experienced linux users - and may quite likely provide a fair bit of frustration at the start for someone brand new to linux.  However, I persoanlly don't think level of experience with linux is really that relevant - a much better indicator of success (or not) with arch is the approach one has when faced with a novel challenge.  And if some googling turned the Captcha from a complete black box to a solved problem, then you should do quite well here.

Yes, good luck, Hypic. I think the challenge of getting an Arch install up and running is well worth it.

Personally, I first installed Arch to see if I was up to the challenge. While I still use a couple other linux distros, Arch is now my "daily driver".

I hope you enjoy your Arch experience, and continue to accept its challenges. While you will no doubt find answers from other sources (google searches), I suggest you look at the Arch Wiki first.

Welcome aboard from a fellow newbie - I've been using Arch for about a year, still feel like a newbie. I learn something every day.

tex

#5374 2016-06-07 11:55:07

masolski

Hello All!

I'm new to Arch, quite new to Linux but FreeBSD user for quite some time. I'm impressed with Arch and how light it is. I'm glad I've found a system which is not overloaded by software I don't need. I use it on my laptop with xfce4 and love Arch structure and way it is configured. What I'm missing a bit is just a basic xfce branding but this is something to have fun doing myself.

Marcin

#5375 2016-06-07 15:01:18

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

Is there a reason you decided to use Arch Linux instead of FreeBSD?

Board footer