You are not logged in.

#5526 2016-09-08 13:23:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Alad wrote:

You should probably bring this up to the mods directly if you want to change the layout of that thread.

Please feel free.  Though include an explanation.  I may just be a bit dense, but I don't see anything at all unwelcoming there - it is just specifying the scope of this community.  We cannot be everything for everyone - we are an arch linux community for arch linux users.  Simple as that.

But on the above posts two quick notes: I have no idea why BitterCynic's tone/approach/attitude/whatever we're questioned.  I see nothing but the right attitude and approach in his/her posts here (again maybe I'm being dense and missed something).  Second note, this is the "hello everyone" thread.  Say hello and move on.  This is not the place for extended debates.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5527 2016-09-08 15:13:23

Awebb

Trilby wrote:

But on the above posts two quick notes: I have no idea why BitterCynic's tone/approach/attitude/whatever we're questioned.  I see nothing but the right attitude and approach in his/her posts here (again maybe I'm being dense and missed something).  Second note, this is the "hello everyone" thread.  Say hello and move on.  This is not the place for extended debates.

I already told him he has the job, so there is no point in arguing about it anyway.

#5528 2016-09-08 23:00:07

Texbrew

@BitterCynic, Welcome to the forum from another Arch newbie. If I came off as condescending, I apologize. Maybe my use of a few words in bold type had that effect. I would hate to be the guy who turned you away from Arch. Hopefully, you'll carry on with getting your Arch box  to your liking.

tex

#5529 2016-09-10 02:02:53

denali

Hello Arch World,

Im a relatively new Linux user looking to (slowly) make the jump from the world of .NET.  Ive tinkered with different Linux distro in the past, and more recently, Arch (via VM's) ... but now I would like to dual boot my main PC with Windows 10. 

Obviously, am very much a noooooob, but hoping to push through.

:-)

#5530 2016-09-10 05:23:33

neuraltoxin

Been a Mac, PC guy for years. Haven't done any Linux since undergrad.

Mostly using Linux in routers (ddwrt etc.). Decided there wasn't much else to learn and ripped out my home rig and built an arch pc/router from the ground up. So far so good. Might rm -rf * if I get frustrated but I hope not

This could be the start of something fun

#5531 2016-09-10 12:40:30

jumloo

Hi everyone. I'm jumloo and a total newbie. I just installed Arch Linux and have never used linux before.
It took nearly 10 times to get this installed. I was attracted to Linux but working on a windows platform didn't give me time to work with linux. When I knew the best version of linux was Arch Linux. I didn't look back. Even though the installation was manual, I learnt at each where I made mistakes while installing and finally got through... And I knew I would have to be a part of this forum if I need to get my linux up and running.

Thank you for being there and I know you'll be there to help me with my issues.

#5532 2016-09-10 13:10:25

Texbrew

denali wrote:

... but now I would like to dual boot my main PC with Windows 10.

Welcome from another Arch newbie. While dual booting is a valid option many people choose, I suggest you consider installing Arch on a second hard drive if you have room for one in your PC, and have a little money to spend. You can choose which drive to run at startup.

I did dual booting installs when I first started using linux, but eventually removed Windows hard drives from my machines in favor of linux. Those Windows drives now live in anti-static bags resting on a shelf, "just in case". Haven't used Windows in two years, but yesterday I used my wife's Windows laptop to reconnect a wifi printer to a new router. I'm sure it could be done with linux, but for me it was "the path of least resistance" - it just seemed easier. I hate admitting that...

Anyway, enjoy your continuing journey into better computing with Arch Linux!

@jumloo, congrats on your install. I think you will get whatever help you need on this forum.

tex

#5533 2016-09-10 13:18:48

Texbrew

neuraltoxin wrote:

...So far so good. Might rm -rf * if I get frustrated but I hope not

This could be the start of something fun

I'm sure it is going to be fun. I hope your reference to that deadly rm command doesn't cause havoc for the curious.

Cheers!

tex

#5534 2016-09-10 17:12:53

Shimoda

Hi all,
New to arch.
It seems nice.

Thank you :-)

#5535 2016-09-11 00:56:47

denali

Texbrew wrote:
denali wrote:

... but now I would like to dual boot my main PC with Windows 10.

Welcome from another Arch newbie. While dual booting is a valid option many people choose, I suggest you consider installing Arch on a second hard drive if you have room for one in your PC, and have a little money to spend. You can choose which drive to run at startup.

Funny you mention this!

The reason I decided to dual boot, was because I actually have a second (SSD) hard drive in my machine!  The first option was to dual boot off one drive, but after reading somewhere it is possible to keep both drives seperate (boot wise), figured it was safer this route.

#5536 2016-09-11 19:05:32

Texbrew

@denali, I have Arch on an SSD drive in a laptop, it starts up really fast. You're going to love it.

Cheers!

tex

#5537 2016-09-12 17:16:22

1fallen

Hello fellow Archers.
Not really new to arch, but decided to join the fora today.
Cheers

Determine the direction...Applaud the spirit.

#5538 2016-09-13 00:54:24

MissJuna

Hi all,

Thank you to poisonby on the irc btw. had some confusion regarding flooding from pcie error messages.  Made install grr.

Anywho spent the down time i had today putting this box a lil together.

I'm not used to having a newer machine so this is kinda cool.  Still plan to live in tiling window managers.  For now sporting i3 even though I am used to xmonad cause its a little quicker to set up.  so for the momment here we are.

Just wanted to say hi to all.  I dont know how active I will be yet its a pleasure to meet everyone.  xoxo

Juna

This is why we can't have nice things...

#5539 2016-09-13 14:12:15

Texbrew

Hi MissJuna, I really like your signature tag line,

This is why we can't have nice things...

The oft repeated parent's complaint. Our kids are grown and out of the house now, but we still sometimes qoute it, say when one of us spills a cup of coffee or scuffs a piece of furniture.

Sounds like you have a pretty fair handle on using linux, hope you enjoy your Arch machine.

tex

#5540 2016-09-14 04:25:41

nahte

Thought I may aswell join this thread as arch is searching for my best mirrors on australian internet smile

60% of the time, I don't know what I'm doing all the time.

P.S. I'm new so everything I say is probably wrong.

#5541 2016-09-14 17:59:28

agnvs

May our neckbeards grow long!

#5542 2016-09-15 04:40:01

nahte

Finally finished my desktop.... so far.

Last edited by nahte (2016-09-15 04:41:14)

60% of the time, I don't know what I'm doing all the time.

P.S. I'm new so everything I say is probably wrong.

#5543 2016-09-16 23:48:32

KAozdl

Hello everyone!

Im from Uruguay.
I started using Arch two years ago.
I knew Arch from a friend who helped me with the installation.
What i liked so much was that once you got it up and running that installation last forever big_smile
Recently i changed my computer so i decided it was time to install it on mw own and here i am.

Dell inspiron M731R CPU: AMD A8 5545M GPU: Radeon HD 8510G RAM:8GB
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desktop MSI 970 Gaming CPU: AMD FX 6300 GPU: Radeon R9 380 4gb RAM: 8GB

#5544 2016-09-17 03:15:11

alexcord

Hi guys I'm an Old school TI guy new on Linux, tried Ubuntu, Manjaro, Mageia, Mint always got something wrong now I got some skill and courage to install Arch and it is almost ok. Learning a lot!

#5545 2016-09-17 23:01:50

Texbrew

@alexcord, what do you mean "Old school TI guy"? Did you start on a TI computer? If so, which one? My second machine was a TI 99/4a back in the early 80's. If memory serves, it was a cartridge based system similar to the old Atari game console.

Again from memory, I think the 99/4a came with a single cartridge which provided their version of BASIC and not much if anything else. Any other useful software required purchasing other cartridges. A fun but limited machine to learn on.

Arch Linux is better for learning by many powers of ten. I know the comparison is weak, because computers in general are much better.

Anyway, enjoy the Arch experience!

tex

#5546 2016-09-19 14:44:21

utsvadh

Hi,
I am Utsav Adhikari from Nepal. I have been using Arch Linux for one month now and I havent gotten used to it yet. I have used Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint before.
This time I wanted to configure my own OS and put things that I need and nothing else. So far, I am enjoying this distribution but I am facing a lots of bugs.
I hope I will have a great time with Arch Linux. big_smile

#5547 2016-09-19 15:47:43

Texbrew

@utsvadh, you have set a worthwhile goal by installing

things that I need and nothing else.

The fact that you are enjoying Arch means you will probably be able to work out any difficulties. May you continue to enjoy it.

So, how's the weather in Nepal today?

tex

#5548 2016-09-20 19:57:10

skyspi007

Hello Arch Linux. Just joined the community and downloaded my first copy of arch yesterday. I'm excited. smile

#5549 2016-09-20 20:19:37

frank604

For those new to the forums and to Arch, welcome! Many of us who are active here are either old timers with birds in their glorious neckbeards, or new comers such as myself. Yes, I've been with Arch for a few years but I would still like to think of myself as a novice. Above all else, during my stay with Arch I've come to learn and appreciate the community driven aspect of this distro. Sharing pkgbuilds, contributing to the wiki and it's discussion, helping on the forums/irc, and the many apps and scripts and configs shared within our community is amazing.  Hope to see some of you, if not all, get comfortable with your own systems to start contributing back to the community.

I believe there is a popular quote by JFK when he first installed Arch through his time machine that goes something like...

Ask not what your Arch can do for you--ask what you can do for Arch.

#5550 2016-09-21 02:59:25

DrNutz

Hi, folks. Just got Arch installed today and have a few things configured with a long way to go. I can see that this will be a neverending project, but with great rewards. I have used other linux distros in the past, going back to Debian 2.1 and Redhat 5.1 in the 90s. Since then i have been out of the loop for a long time and decided to give it a go. I started up again with Ubuntu, and could not believe how much easier it has gotten. Unfortunately, all of those distros were too loaded down with stuff that just slowed down my poor laptop. Between that and the desire for a rolling release distro, i settled on arch. Thanks to the wiki and the forum, it was not nearly as hard to get going as people make it out to be.  I cant wait to get more comfortable with it so that I can begin to contribute.

Board footer