You are not logged in.

#5776 2017-02-04 01:44:10

itractus

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi guys,

I'm a 21 year old guy from Belgium, love adventure and IT.
My first contact with Arch was a year or 2 ago when I stumbled on the wiki (which is amazing documentation, it must be said!) during an IT project. I installed it a month or so later in a VM, to try it out. Turns out it was just what I've been looking for. Been using it ever since.

I never made an account for fear of asking dumb questions and wasting peoples time, which I really don't want to do. So I put off making an account until today.

I hope to learn a lot here

See you around!

W H Y    Do    We    .  .  .

#5777 2017-02-08 00:56:13

reisiger

Hello everyone,

I am new to Arch, but not really to Linux.  I have to say that I'm so glad to have finally made the switch from Ubuntu and its derivatives to Arch.  I think my first introduction was by way of Manjaro, but I was seriously blown away by the way package management was handled.  The more I looked into it, the more I found that I liked.  I had always been told that Arch installs are difficult, but I appreciate that you really learn the fundamentals and inner workings of Linux. 

There is a lot to be said for the community as well, whether that be in terms of development or support.  The thing that blew me away was that there is a philosophy behind Arch.  That blew me away.  I know that there are some people who are critical and call it elitist, but I don't think it is at all.  It's just a coherent and intelligent approach; and it makes you learn as you go. That to me is the difference between mastery of a thing and consumption of it.   

So that all happened. Thanks for reading!

#5778 2017-02-08 01:48:34

Saitohs

Hello everyone!
I've used arch for 2 years, i study computer science engineer. I'm from colombia and i have a very bad english, so i don't write a lot.

#5779 2017-02-08 02:26:04

Texbrew

reisiger wrote:

I know that there are some people who are critical and call it elitist, but I don't think it is at all.  It's just a coherent and intelligent approach; and it makes you learn as you go. That to me is the difference between mastery of a thing and consumption of it.

Well said. I think you have a good grasp on a few of the things that set Arch Linux apart from other distros.

With that, it's time for me to once again offer my unofficial welcome to all new forum members. Enjoy your Arch experience and the forums.

tex

#5780 2017-02-08 13:33:30

reisiger

Texbrew wrote:
reisiger wrote:

I know that there are some people who are critical and call it elitist, but I don't think it is at all.  It's just a coherent and intelligent approach; and it makes you learn as you go. That to me is the difference between mastery of a thing and consumption of it.

Well said. I think you have a good grasp on a few of the things that set Arch Linux apart from other distros.

With that, it's time for me to once again offer my unofficial welcome to all new forum members. Enjoy your Arch experience and the forums.

tex

Well hey thanks very much!  I understand the philosophy and the distinction.  Now I need to work on proficiency!  Have a great one, and like Pink Floyd says: and if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

R

#5781 2017-02-08 15:32:53

allsts

Hi all! a newbie comes to town...
Spanish, linux user from a few years ago, but new to the arch world (Antergos).
Hope to learn a lot with you guys!

#5782 2017-02-08 19:31:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

allsts wrote:

new to the arch world (Antergos).

Erm, have you considered trying Arch itself?

#5783 2017-02-08 23:03:09

Awebb

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
allsts wrote:

new to the arch world (Antergos).

Psssst! You can't just give away that moment, when somebody writes a long post with an elaborate question and somebody else asks for for uname -a.

#5784 2017-02-09 08:29:52

allsts

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Well... maybe next time, step by step.

Awebb wrote:

Psssst! You can't just give away that moment, when somebody writes a long post with an elaborate question and somebody else asks for for uname -a.

lol lol lol It rings a bell...

Last edited by allsts (2017-02-09 08:32:03)

#5785 2017-02-09 09:38:15

Injall

Hi every one
I'm an engineer student from France. I used Arched for more than two years but never post anything since the wiki is amazing.
I hope I'll enjoy Arch for many years

Injall

When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.

#5786 2017-02-09 15:34:04

Texbrew

allsts wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Well... maybe next time, step by step.

Awebb wrote:

lol lol lol It rings a bell...

Head_on_a_Stick and Awebb gave you a couple of subtle hints. Here's what I think they are not saying. A major rule of the forum is this: support is provided for Arch Linux only (not Antergos or any other distro). If you need help, can't find answers and need to ask a question, you need to be running Arch.

I understand that spinoffs of Arch can be easier to install. I have Manjaro one one machine, other distros on other machines. If I were to ask a question about those distros here in the Arch forums, I would be told to ask my question in whatever forum the other distro provides. Some find that rule to be harsh and unwelcoming, but it makes sense.

tex

#5787 2017-02-09 15:41:22

Texbrew

Injall wrote:

I hope I'll enjoy Arch for many years.

I can think of no reason why you can't. Welcome aboard.

tex

#5788 2017-02-09 16:52:02

allsts

Texbrew wrote:

Head_on_a_Stick and Awebb gave you a couple of subtle hints. Here's what I think they are not saying. A major rule of the forum is this: support is provided for Arch Linux only (not Antergos or any other distro). If you need help, can't find answers and need to ask a question, you need to be running Arch.

I understand that spinoffs of Arch can be easier to install. I have Manjaro one one machine, other distros on other machines. If I were to ask a question about those distros here in the Arch forums, I would be told to ask my question in whatever forum the other distro provides. Some find that rule to be harsh and unwelcoming, but it makes sense.

tex

Ok, appreciate your explanation Texbrew, message understood sad

#5789 2017-02-09 17:12:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You are welcome to participate in discussions here though.  I see you are contributing to ongoing discussions of issues that affect arch and antergos - this is certainly welcome.  I'm glad to see you are up front in those situations that you are on Antergos.  We do have members here from several other distros beyond arch-spin-offs (debian, etc).

The forum guidelines restriction applies to opening new support threads.  If you have an issue with your system, there is really no way to know if it is a general problem or an antergos specific configuration.  As we don't know how Antergos works, we aren't even equiped to identify which it is.

The rule also serves another purpose: it encourages Antergos users to contribute to the health of the Antergos community.  Users of "arch-based" distros periodically say they'd rather seek help here than on their own forums because their forums are not as active.  But asking here instead of there really just perpetuates that problem.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5790 2017-02-09 19:54:26

allsts

I already posted my cifs related issue on Antergos forum before register in this forum.
But looking for solutions on google, I found Vizitor topic and write there my first post on this forum. After that, decided to say "hello everyone" here.
I understand and really appreciate your time and explanations Trilby, but I am not asking for help, only want to participate or find solutions on this forum because is bigger and more active than antergos forum, that doesn't means I will not ask my questions there before (as I did).
Anyway, I am a newbie, come from ubuntu/mint world and maybe will say a huge stupid thing but... I thought Antergos was like a "pure" Arch distribution with a GUI installer, but the same heart inside (same packages, kernels, repostiories...), not like Manjaro.

Now, lets forget this bad start and introduce myself again:
Hi all, greetings from Spain, I am not an Arch User, use Antergos, but sure I can learn a lot here reading your post and maybe participating to solve shared issues between both distributions.
Nos vemos!

#5791 2017-02-10 02:36:24

Texbrew

@allsts, I'm really glad you read Trilby's message after reading mine. Once again batting cleanup, Trilby has cleaned up my mess, and provided excellent points of clarity. Great job, Trilby.

I actually look for ways to welcome newcomers to the forum, though I'm just a fellow user myself. It was not my intent to make you feel unwelcome...

It's my view that all new linux users should be encouraged, whatever distro they choose, so enjoy using your linux machine.

tex

#5792 2017-02-10 03:13:31

olegabrielz

No worry allsts. You'll soon be running pure arch anyway. Won't you..?? wink

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#5793 2017-02-10 08:36:18

allsts

Texbrew wrote:

It was not my intent to make you feel unwelcome...

Oh, You didn't! you gentle clarify what I wasn't able to read between lines from other messages. Thanks Tex.

olegabrielz wrote:

No worry allsts. You'll soon be running pure arch anyway. Won't you..??

lol Sure!

#5794 2017-02-10 17:01:10

Awebb

allsts wrote:

Anyway, I am a newbie, come from ubuntu/mint world and maybe will say a huge stupid thing but... I thought Antergos was like a "pure" Arch distribution with a GUI installer, but the same heart inside (same packages, kernels, repostiories...), not like Manjaro.

The question is not what kind of files you have on your disk, it's how you installed your system and how capable you are in determining, whether a problem with your system is an actual Arch problem or a problem with your installer or with your lack of knowledge, what this installer does and what not. A user, who used the official installer, is likely to know what's going on on the system without needing us to dissect all the log files. If we didn't have this rule, a lot of people would expect the minimum learning threshold to be the ability to use a third party installer and they would ask questions that could be solved with a certain degree of research, based on the abilities one is required to have to install Arch with the official installer and the install.txt on the medium or the installation guide on the wiki.

People call this elitist. We are being motivated by things that interest us. Free software is not a charity (although a F/LOSS lifestyle can foster charitable behavior), we all want to get stuff done and we all want to get our jollies from time to time. If the signal to noise ratio gets too high, the more capable people will leave the barrens for lusher pastures, because they too rely on peer interaction to improve their skills and knowledge and will not gain much from holding some n00bs' hands and stare them in the eyes so it slips better on the bog.

It's just one approach to insure quality, one among many. It has worked fine for us so far.

#5795 2017-02-10 18:48:48

danielld

Hello everybody from Spain!

I been using Arch since a year..and I have to say God save  the Wiki maker! and all those that help in the Forum.. Really Thanks!

I use Debian and Arch but Arch is my Linux School!

#5796 2017-02-11 17:05:04

Texbrew

danielld wrote:

I use Debian and Arch but Arch is my Linux School!

Love Debian. Love Arch. I use both every day. Debian was my linux school when I started about 6 years ago. I think Arch has taught me more in 2 years than I learned from Debian in the previous 4 years.

Welcome aboard.

tex

#5797 2017-02-12 23:45:33

danielld

Texbrew wrote:

Welcome aboard.

Thanks!

There is not better linux literature than the ArchWiki. Is there any prize like the Nobel for this people?

#5798 2017-02-12 23:54:19

jphall

Hi all,

I've been using arch as my daily driver for about a month now after installing on old junkers here and there. Awesome distro, awesome docs.

#5799 2017-02-13 00:40:50

Texbrew

danielld wrote:

There is not better linux literature than the ArchWiki. Is there any prize like the Nobel for this people?

No prize to my knowledge. Just an ever-increasing number of linux users who are aware that the arch wiki is the best linux documentation available anywhere.  This may be the real prize. The wiki alone has led many people to install arch. The performance of Arch keeps many of us using it.

#5800 2017-02-13 01:25:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I think there should be a prize.  A big cash prize ... like all the money every arch linux user has paid to purchase their OS.  Oh, wait.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer