You are not logged in.

#5876 2017-03-30 16:35:34

Texbrew

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

@MaBoga or Martijn, Welcome to the forum, and Welcome to the other two new members. I hope it goes well with your Windows 10 dual boot install. Many people get along fine with dual boot setups. My experience did not turn out that way. Looking back through the mists of time when I was a linux newbie, a Windows update wiped out my grub menu. After much fiddling I messed things up to the point where Windows wouldn't boot. Eventually, I got that fixed, but it was very frustrating.

My solution was to get a spare hard drive for a linux install on that machine. The Windows hard drive took residence on a shelf. Much later, I reformatted it for another linux install and haven't looked back. The laptop on which I performed this hard drive swap was long out of warranty, so your new laptop warranty is something to consider. Proceed with caution, whichever method you choose.

Another consideration is VirtualBox. There is a learning curve with it, just like anything else, but it is an excellent tool for testing linux systems without risk to your main system, i.e. Windows. If you choose this option, read the Wiki page for installing an Arch guest in VirtualBox. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … nux_guests

I have used VirtualBox to test a number of linux distros. In fact, that is how I first installed Arch. Learning Arch with the help of VirtualBox encouraged me to do a full install on a machine. I now have Arch Linux on three machines. I maintain the one in VirtualBox mainly for the purpose of testing upgrades and software - my cautious way of preventing "breakage".

Happy Arching!

Edit: @MaBoga, I just saw your post in the other thread where you described your boot problem. My advice in this post came too late. You will have to wait for an Arch guru to help you untangle that one.

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-03-30 17:03:13)

#5877 2017-03-31 10:58:39

goumba
Website

Hello hello,

Newbie to the forums here. I am known as goumba over on LinuxQuestions as well.

Long time Debian user - at least 10 years, can't remember exactly how long, going back at least to my hp Athlon notebook and iBook G4.

I've dabbled in Red Hat (started with 4.x waayyyyyyyyyyyyy back), Mandrake, SuSE; and for a period of 3 or 4 years after that had left Linux for FreeBSD.

I love Debian, it's simplicity, and plan to keep using it on the laptop that holds all my media as a 'server' of sorts.

Alas, I've gotten bored. I bought a new ThinkPad and well figured if I was going to install Linux, I'd go for new and more cutting edge. I initially installed Arch, but spoiled by Debian (mostly debconf, secondly the abundance of available packages), I went back for a bit to only using Debian.

Then got bored again, and here I am, with a second install of Arch on the machine. I plan to keep it that way. Surprisingly everything worked first try this time around (well, ok, after I realized nothing in GNOME worked because I had missed creating locale.conf). As part of my learning experience I've also ditched bash for zsh on this laptop (I've tried it here and there under Debian but never got serious).

On the Debian laptop I use OpenBox and tint2, and have gotten to know them pretty well. The ThinkPad with Arch is running GNOME 3 (*gasp*) as it is a 2 in 1, I find GNOME works well with the format. I'd used it before, and have been a supported of GNOME 3 from the start, but it just wasn't what I wanted on a slower machine.

As I get used to the distro, I look forward to being more of a help on here than I am asking for help. I find the wiki excellent and therefore have yet to come here in need of help. Even as a Debian user, I found both Debian and Arch's wikis as indispensable references. Thank you to the guys who contribute to the wiki for your efforts.

That's my long winded intro. wink See ya around.

Last edited by goumba (2017-03-31 11:01:18)

FSF Associate Member #12876
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

#5878 2017-03-31 18:15:36

Texbrew

@goumba, Welcome aboard. I see similarities in our paths to Arch - only your use of Debian is much longer than mine.

I love linux on a Thinkpad! I have Arch running on two of them - both are older machines. This one is a T420, the other is an R61. Last night, I told my wife l may buy a new Thinkpad Yoga, but I really don't need one...

Another similarity is that boredom factor you mentioned. I love Debian and will continue using it, but I too, got bored, and that led me to Arch. It's really more fun to use, and it keeps me on my toes.

#5879 2017-04-01 10:31:10

goumba
Website

@Texbrew, thanks. Yeah, been with Debian a bit. Actually my UNIX experience goes back to high school ('93) where we used AIX workstations... we had these huge, I think 27" monitors, on IBM "X Station"s. I still remember to this day we would smack the side of the monitor just to see the image jiggle.

I didn't need my Yoga either, but, well... Best Buy open box and $600 instead of the $900 retail convinced me I did need it big_smile

#5880 2017-04-02 18:08:54

Type1Guy85

Hello, Arch users! Been using arch for the last few days(coming over from windows 10), and I've gotta say it's pretty awesome. I will not be going back. I will admit it was quite different for me at first but very straight forward. What I'm most impressed about is hardware detection and speed. Boot times on my ancient Lenovo Z575 are around 25 seconds and I'm liking openbox quite a bit. Also, the AUR is pretty impressive. I look forward to utilizing these forums to resolve any issues I may have in the future.

I like beer, beer is good...

#5881 2017-04-02 19:30:53

goumba
Website

@Type1Guy85, welcome! Yeah OpenBox is pretty awesome on lower powered/older hardware. If you absolutely need a panel, use tint2. On my Lenovo Flex I use OpenBox and tint2, things run fairly smoothly.

#5882 2017-04-04 03:43:55

vlamnire0

Hello,

I thought that I never created an Arch forums account before but I suppose that was wrong.  It looks like I created this account about 6 years ago and made a single post.  I don't even remember that anymore.  Well I'm in Wisconsin and I'm a University student studying Information and Communication Technologies and I just cleared Windows 10 and Ubuntu from my school laptop for Arch.  I completely switched to Linux as my main OS this year.  Over the years, since Windows Vista, I gone between Linux and Windows.  I've installed tons of distros before but am deciding to stick with Arch for a while... hopefully I don't break anything.

#5883 2017-04-04 08:54:47

olegabrielz

vlamnire0 wrote:

... hopefully I don't break anything.

Don't despair if you do break something along the way. It's a part of the learning experience for most of us. The first thing to do if you break something is to check out the wiki pages. If that doesn't provide you with answers, search the forums. If you still can't solve it then write a post in the appropriate forums. Read the code of conduct and you will be well suited for doing things in a beneficial way.

Enjoy!

Edit: typo

Last edited by olegabrielz (2017-04-04 08:56:12)

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#5884 2017-04-04 19:00:43

Alchemek

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting in a forum with the intention of visiting the forum on a regular basis. The reason is that I love Arch Linux, but besides that, I want to learn as much as I can about the system above and beyond what I know now.

To speak of, I'm an experienced Linux user from my perspective, but I'm not an expert. I've used Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Fedora, and of course, Arch. Debian was my favorite for a while, but after Windows 10 decided to hose all of my Linux partitions, I've decided to give Arch another try. And I'm so glad I did.

Windows 10 really did hose my Linux partitions, though. It was surreal. It had done so in the following manner: I accidentally destroyed my Windows 10 system by messing up the MSConfig settings. Upon reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch, that's when it decided to render all of my Debian Linux partitions as unpartitioned space. So there's my word of warning to you all intending to install the latest build of Windows 10 on your system.

But I'm glad it happened because now I'm using Arch again!!

#5885 2017-04-04 21:52:31

ewaller
Administrator

Alchemek wrote:

my word of warning to you all intending to install the latest build of Windows 10 on your system.

What is this "Windows 10" of which you spake? wink
Welcome to Arch.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5886 2017-04-05 23:13:05

Texbrew

Type1Guy85 wrote:

I like beer, beer is good...

I kinda tweaked the quote just to quote your signature. Back to that in a minute...

I agree with goumba, I use Arch+OpenBox+tint2 panel on my three bare metal installs. I like the tint2 panel because I like seeing what "apps" i have open at all times.

Back to the top and off topic, Hey, man, you are right over there near where my favorite beer was born - well, an hour or two away. I'm talkin' about Chico, CA and the lovely green label nectar - and all its siblings. I admit I have other favorites from the West Coast, but the green label is the one I reach for most often.

I'm drinkin' black coffee right now, so my comments are not influenced by anything else.

Welcome to the forums, and have fun with your new lightning bolt of a machine.

@vlamnire0, welcome back - that's slightly awkward as I've only been here a little over a year - you said you signed in 6 years back. I'll be brief for a change, the thing I would add to what olegabrielz said is keep your install media handy in the event of the need for an emergency rescue. I don't mean to scare you. Most everything is recoverable. Uh, I said just the one thing, but it's also a good idea to check the frontpage announcements and browse the forum for new problems before you do a system upgrade.

@ewaller, yeah, uh, Windows whuuut? So tempted to put a smiley there, but I won't. 'Cause I just don't.

Edit: typo

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-04-05 23:29:06)

#5887 2017-04-06 14:51:58

equ
Website

Yet another greeting

And the early userspace dawns...

#5888 2017-04-06 15:16:40

Texbrew

equ wrote:

Yet another greeting

Welcome. Oh, come on, tell us a little about yourself. BTW, I sometimes wish I had picked a very short user name...

#5889 2017-04-06 15:42:16

equ
Website

Texbrew wrote:
equ wrote:

Yet another greeting

Welcome. Oh, come on, tell us a little about yourself. BTW, I sometimes wish I had picked a very short user name...

ty.
as of self - withdrawn comp. engineering student, hobbies: photography, martial arts, sci-fi.

#5890 2017-04-06 17:34:54

Texbrew

Do you mean you withdrew from your studies or you are withdrawn as a person? See how I'm trying to coax a wee little bit more from you? Of course, you don't have tell anyone anything more than what was required to register...

Enjoy your Arch Linux!

Edit: Darned typos.

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-04-06 18:00:15)

#5891 2017-04-06 17:54:19

equ
Website

Texbrew wrote:

Do you mean you withdrew from your studies or you are withdrawn as a person? See how I'm trying to coax a wee little bit more from you? Of course, you don't have tell anyone anything more than what was requited to register...

Enjoy your Arch Linux!

ty. both

#5892 2017-04-09 13:13:59

diarselimi92

Hello smile

#5893 2017-04-10 20:32:36

Steven_G

Hello Arch Linux world,

Long time end user trying to kill several birds with one stone:

I have a lot of concerns with the current state of security in the linux desktop in general, but I'm the paranoid type anyway. The stuff that I am concerned about can be solved with a system that gives me more control over the base system and gives me direct access to the newest software in the space that is addressing a lot of these security issues at a very deep coding level that is way, way beyond my abilities to do anything about directly; like wayland and gnome 3.2.

I've been using ubuntu for years. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I am coming to the conclusion that means that I actually don't know a lot about linux. So now I'm trying to learn more about linux to address my security concerns and to hopefully help repair my brain.

I was in a bad car wreck and my head got bounced around a lot. I have been suffering from various neurological issues including memory lapses and difficulty understanding new, and especially new and difficult, concepts and information since the wreck. I used to have a 140IQ, I don't any more. I used to be able to think circles around everyone in the room, I can't anymore.  The injuries that I have are basically like a really bad / semi-permanent concussion and actually involve a lot of shear tears in the various layers and folds of the brain; which causes neural pathways to be physically torn in two but still in close proximity to each other. Supposedly the best way to help rehabilitate this type of injury, and to regain at least some of what was lost, is to "exercise" your brain by forcing it to work hard by learning something new and complex which supposedly forces the brain to repair old / build new pathways. So I choose you, Arch Linux, as my brain fixer-upper-tool-thingy!

I think I know that this distro, even more than many others, emphasizes self-lead instruction; which is good for what I'm trying to do. But, between having my head rattled and being a noob to "real" linux I expect to get stuck from time to time. Please forgive any denseness or slowness on the uptake on my part. Also, please over look poor spelling, punctuation and / or grammar mistakes. They were never my strong suite before the wreck and have only gotten much worse since; although I am trying really hard to improve. If I post something that just flat out makes no sense then please feel free to point out to me why it makes no sense. This will force me to think about it and try to clarify it.

In advance: Thanks for any help. And thanks to the devs who volunteer their time to create such great code. One of my goals is to learn enough and get my brain fixed up enough to be able to contribute something back to the community myself.

#5894 2017-04-11 01:23:01

Texbrew

Welcome aboard. Opinion: You came to the right place. This distro and community does require us to do our homework digging for answers first, then asking questions when we get stuck. No better classroom for learning how linux works. I think you will enjoy the process - it's ongoing.

#5895 2017-04-13 04:28:37

amrsaraya

Hello everyone!
a new archer has just arrived.

#5896 2017-04-13 05:36:15

Texbrew

@amrsaraya, Welcome aboard. Interesting avatar, reminds me of someone - or, maybe it just looks familiar. Enjoy your new Arch system.

#5897 2017-04-14 09:55:44

svnset

Texbrew wrote:

@amrsaraya, Welcome aboard. Interesting avatar, reminds me of someone - or, maybe it just looks familiar. Enjoy your new Arch system.

It's mr. bean smile

After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes,
it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. - Chopin

#5898 2017-04-15 15:43:03

Texbrew

Of course! I should have known that.

#5899 2017-04-16 19:57:57

Julez

Hello! New Arch user here. Just wanted to say hey, having fun so far.  Using Arch as my daily laptop for a month now.

About me - Late 20's,  went from OSP  > Help Desk .> Win Sys Admin. Dream of being a Linux Admin one day tongue.

#5900 2017-04-16 22:17:30

leonstafford

This is how we get ants!

Arch user as of yesterday - had been tempted for a while as I enjoy minimal systems. Debian has been great, though I'd often resort to using an Ubuntu base in order to get Wifi working out of the box. Getting frustrated with a Surface Pro 3 with broken digitizer, I gave it a shot of Manjaro, which was reddit'd to have nice out of box support. I then felt very bloated and stuck the arch iso I'd had gathering dust onto a usb stick.

Boom! Ran live-iso, finally learned how to use wpa_supplicant properly (before realising there was wifi-menu!). Got tmux and lynx running, while trying to follow official install wiki. Munted my bootloader, so did the same to a desktop PC in the room. Now I had 2 non-booting computers, but I'd learnt a few things. Following my parents' advice never to go to bed on a broken OS, I persevered and gleamed some info from this install guide: https://gist.github.com/mattiaslundberg/8620837, which gave me enough ideas to fix the partitioning/bootloader issues I'd been having.

Apparently, you're not an arch user until you tell people about it - so here I am tongue

'Twas maybe 4 or 5 hours of head scratching, but I finally learnt about things I was able to avoid previously:

- EFI
- wpa_supplicant
- chroot (a little)

I'm also pleased to not be running a swap partition!

System is now up and running with usual tools: awesome, vim, tmux, docker, transmission-gtk, chromium

One thing I may be looking to replace from my kit is shutter, which seems to only be in AUR and pulls in a lot of bloat (yes, I know I'm using chromium!).

@archcommunity - thanks for existing - feels nice to enter this expanding corner of the internet. If nothing else, I imagine Shuttleworth will be inspiring more users to make the switch!

Board footer