You are not logged in.

#5901 2017-04-17 00:28:12

kgtuning

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

leonstafford wrote:

This is how we get ants!

Arch user as of yesterday - had been tempted for a while as I enjoy minimal systems. Debian has been great, though I'd often resort to using an Ubuntu base in order to get Wifi working out of the box. Getting frustrated with a Surface Pro 3 with broken digitizer, I gave it a shot of Manjaro, which was reddit'd to have nice out of box support. I then felt very bloated and stuck the arch iso I'd had gathering dust onto a usb stick.

Boom! Ran live-iso, finally learned how to use wpa_supplicant properly (before realising there was wifi-menu!). Got tmux and lynx running, while trying to follow official install wiki. Munted my bootloader, so did the same to a desktop PC in the room. Now I had 2 non-booting computers, but I'd learnt a few things. Following my parents' advice never to go to bed on a broken OS, I persevered and gleamed some info from this install guide: https://gist.github.com/mattiaslundberg/8620837, which gave me enough ideas to fix the partitioning/bootloader issues I'd been having.

Apparently, you're not an arch user until you tell people about it - so here I am tongue

'Twas maybe 4 or 5 hours of head scratching, but I finally learnt about things I was able to avoid previously:

- EFI
- wpa_supplicant
- chroot (a little)

I'm also pleased to not be running a swap partition!

System is now up and running with usual tools: awesome, vim, tmux, docker, transmission-gtk, chromium

One thing I may be looking to replace from my kit is shutter, which seems to only be in AUR and pulls in a lot of bloat (yes, I know I'm using chromium!).

@archcommunity - thanks for existing - feels nice to enter this expanding corner of the internet. If nothing else, I imagine Shuttleworth will be inspiring more users to make the switch!

You definitely can not go to bed with a broken system... I tell my wife that too. haha. But this is when you learn to fix things, at least for me. 11pm to 3 am is the best hours to think and figure out stuff. Today was the first time I've broke X config but manage to fix it quite quickly... All thanks to this site. Welcome aboard.

#5902 2017-04-17 04:19:35

Texbrew

Yes, welcome aboard and welcome to the obsession to both leonstafford and Julez.

#5903 2017-04-17 18:52:41

thevoidwithinyou

Hi, my name is Paul (17yo) and I am pretty new to linux. I used Windows for several years and only tested some live-distros. So two weeks ago I stumbled across Arch Linux and really liked the idea of creatin your own operating system and knowing what really is behind the system you use every day. I installed Arch on a old unused HDD and now I am configuring it. Arch is awesome because it makes you learn so many things smile
Greetings

#5904 2017-04-17 19:43:10

SnowCone

Hi there,

I've just installed Arch Linux for the first time today!

Nice to meet you all

#5905 2017-04-17 22:00:24

Texbrew

Welcome perchslayer, thevoidwithinyou, SnowCone.

@perchslayer, if it's learning you want, Arch will force you to learn. The return on your investment of time and learning is well worth it, in my opinion.

@thevoidwithinyou, it is gratifying to hear when a young person such as yourself takes on Arch Linux.

@SnowCone, congratulations on your install.

Best wishes to all of you on your Arch Linux journey.

#5906 2017-04-18 00:11:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

perchslayer wrote:

Today is Easter Sunday and I reckon I will be wiping this BunsenLabs Debian Jessie Dell X502l laptop within the next couple of weeks and around that time start posting in here [...] I have also learned that, all in all, it is time now for me to move on and take the steps to ready me for begin the path of living the Arch Way

Yay! The system works smile

Welcome to Arch.

#5907 2017-04-18 12:18:21

captber

Hello to everyone,

i used the easter holidays to configure arch on all my devices.

So i'm going to stick around here longer!

And i'm happy about it!
captber

#5908 2017-04-18 13:25:01

adalbertobrant

Hi , new here ! Yes I'm a Newbie ! I hope I could learn more about Arch !

Arch was my first choice because it is simple and clean .

Nowadays I 'm trying to put my wifi to work ! smile

#5909 2017-04-20 12:00:55

Unturned

Hello everybody, new guy here!
I'm a new to Arch but comfortable with various C based languages and the command line.
I picked Arch because I like minimalism and K.I.S.S and Arch just sound like a perfect place for me to start my little tour in the Linux world.
Right now, I am having some trouble trying to install Arch on my Macbook Air 2013.

#5910 2017-04-22 10:21:24

arifur

Hello. 10 years too late. Never too late to start right?

#5911 2017-04-23 03:18:33

Texbrew

Welcome, new Archers. @arifur, I wish I had known about Linux and Arch 10 years ago. Have fun with your new Arch box.

#5912 2017-04-25 08:23:28

LaurentvdB

Hi all,

Having used Ubuntu for several years (from 7.10 and onwards), I installed Arch a couple of days ago due to Ubuntu's switch to Gnome and some outdated packages I need for work (reasearcher, I like python's scipy).

No issues yet, except maybe for the strange things Gnome has by design (I have to get used to that I guess). The latest update of Gnome (3.24) works perfectly here.

#5913 2017-04-25 23:32:25

Texbrew

LaurentvdB, whatever brought you to Arch, Welcome. Hope you enjoy the experience.

#5914 2017-04-28 08:30:02

colonel.fubar

Dear friends,
Greetings. This is my first post on this forum. I am a graduate student of physics. I have a working knowledge of GNU/Linux operating systems thanks to Ubuntu. But I want to gain a deeper understanding of how operating systems work. So after skimming through the web, I decided to experience Arch Linux which demands the user to be self explorative and ability to read and understand manuals. And it is very much the case with me. After stumbling many times, I could install a working base installation including a window manager on Oracle's VirtualBox. I have not gained the confidence yet to make a real switch as I am wary of data loss due to rolling release nature of Arch. I hope to be an active Arch community member.

thanks

#5915 2017-04-29 23:42:33

Texbrew

colonel.fubar, Welcome to the forum. VirtualBox is an excellent tool for getting to know any operating system. It has long been my choice for exploring different distros, and I first installed Arch in VirtualBox about two years ago, more or less.

As best as I remember, the only data loss I have experienced using Arch or any other linux distro was due to my own misuse of the rm (remove) bash command. There is no trash bin or "recycle bin"  to recover files from when the rm command is misused.

That said, I understand your concern. I rely heavily on backups for everything I want to safeguard from accidental loss. Thumb drives, external hard drives, and a large secondary hard drive on a PC are my tools for data preservation. I like Filezilla for quickly sending files to the PC.

Explore your Arch VM to your heart's content. I predict it won't be very long before you install Arch on bare metal.

Two things I have learned; to read the Arch Linux front page for important announcements, and to skim the forum's new posts before I perform an upgrade. If I see anything that's problematic, I wait a few days before upgrading my Arch VM's. If there are no apparent problems, I follow through with my bare metal Arch systems. Also, I use my Arch VM's as lab rats to test any unfamiliar software.

Enjoy your Arch VM.

#5916 2017-05-02 17:51:21

colonel.fubar

Texbrew wrote:

colonel.fubar, Welcome to the forum. VirtualBox is an excellent tool for getting to know any operating system. It has long been my choice for exploring different distros, and I first installed Arch in VirtualBox about two years ago, more or less.

As best as I remember, the only data loss I have experienced using Arch or any other linux distro was due to my own misuse of the rm (remove) bash command. There is no trash bin or "recycle bin"  to recover files from when the rm command is misused.

That said, I understand your concern. I rely heavily on backups for everything I want to safeguard from accidental loss. Thumb drives, external hard drives, and a large secondary hard drive on a PC are my tools for data preservation. I like Filezilla for quickly sending files to the PC.

Explore your Arch VM to your heart's content. I predict it won't be very long before you install Arch on bare metal.

Two things I have learned; to read the Arch Linux front page for important announcements, and to skim the forum's new posts before I perform an upgrade. If I see anything that's problematic, I wait a few days before upgrading my Arch VM's. If there are no apparent problems, I follow through with my bare metal Arch systems. Also, I use my Arch VM's as lab rats to test any unfamiliar software.

Enjoy your Arch VM.

Thank you for the suggestions on backup and Arch Linux System Administration. I will keep that in mind. The practice of testing a software of upgradation in VM then followed by actual installation is good similar to what free BSD offers for server management. I am not into servers but Arch Linux seems like a good stepping stone to setup a server somewhere in the future smile

#5917 2017-05-02 20:38:54

tiripati

Hi all,

Arch user since 2015. Regular GNU/Linux user since 2005. I used ubuntu and debian, and I taste a bit of redhat in 98-99 (I think it was at this period. I used a bit irix on O2 too at this period but that's another story).
I am using zim to keep all the admin things I am doing/learning.
And I am enjoying aur (I think my next move will be to learn how to make a pkgbuild)
Ho I am using my computer mainly for 3D prod with blender, maya, and substance tools.

#5918 2017-05-03 16:02:13

Texbrew

colonel.fubar wrote:

...I am not into servers but Arch Linux seems like a good stepping stone to setup a server somewhere in the future smile

I guess in a way the PC I mentioned could be called a server, but really it's just a Debian desktop with a 2Tb secondary drive. I'm a rather disorganized computer hobbyist, and find it difficult to keep track of which file is on which machine. Hence the use of the PC to back up files which can be accessed from any machine I may be using at the time...

@tiripati, Welcome aboard the forums.

#5919 2017-05-07 12:12:43

ashyggdrasil

Hi all. I've been using linux for 3 years and unfortunately ubuntu yeah tongue (bored of it with cannonical already. I dont' how could I stand for it for 3 years. I see that after switching to Arch.) Well yeah, I'm new to arch but I already love it. so i'm here to learn how to roll this arch os ^^

Last edited by ashyggdrasil (2017-05-07 12:14:49)

#5920 2017-05-11 14:47:13

seTombas

Started out with Ubuntu a year or so back and wanted to make my life difficult a proper light-weight OS for work purposes.

Really impressed with the community support available so far and the learning curve, though steep, offers a fantastic view from the top smile

#5921 2017-05-11 16:02:27

olegabrielz

Welcome to the dark side ashyggdrasil and seTombas

There's been some years since I was playing around with Ubuntu. It was a short lived experience. I went back to debian.. then I went to CrunchBang.. then Arch. Have been here since. Enjoy!!

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#5922 2017-05-12 16:49:52

swamper

Hi folks! I've haunted several different Linux distros since about 2001. Lots of time spent in Debian land along with Ubuntu and a smattering of Arch and Gentoo. I've spent a lot of time in the Arch forums and just never joined. Bout time I guess huh? Lots of good info in the Arch world and I hope to tap into some of it.

#5923 2017-05-13 15:19:32

Errant

Hello everyone!

I am a relatively new Arch user. I have been using Arch for almost half year. I have trouble with things every now and then and I am sure I messed up and keep messing up something basic which causes my problems, specifically with networking. So I'm still a newb. I typically refrain from asking the community questions given the Arch Way, but now that I have a profile, perhaps I will not only ask some (hopefully) good questions, but also be able to help others. That'd be good. :] I am a Computer Science undergraduate currently and I like to understand my tools fully, including my computer.

I grew up using Mac at home and Windows at school. I now have a 2013-ish mac laptop (a mistake imho...) and a desktop build dual booted with Arch Linux and Windows 7. Obviously Arch Linux is my main. Windows is just for those OS exclusive games I do not have time to play.

[EDIT: I forgot that I started using arch in December, while I had my machine it runs on a half a year prior, updated time I started using arch linux.]

Last edited by Errant (2017-05-16 18:32:04)

#5924 2017-05-14 20:09:46

wam7c

Greeting all,

This is my second installation of Arch. I am extremely happy with it. Machine also partitioned for Manjaro, kind of cool, and a recent Ubuntu.

Because of my work I am sometimes forced to run Microsoft Word. Except for that I never leave linux.

My website: uma-tibet.org

system         Aspire R3-471T (Aspire R3-471T_0888_1_03)
/0                     bus            EA42_HB
/0/0                   memory         128KiB BIOS
/0/4                   processor      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz
/0/4/6                 memory         32KiB L1 cache
/0/4/7                 memory         256KiB L2 cache
/0/4/8                 memory         3MiB L3 cache
/0/5                   memory         32KiB L1 cache
/0/d                   memory         12GiB System Memory
/0/d/0                 memory         4GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
/0/d/1                 memory         8GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
/0/100                 bridge         Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller
/0/100/2               display        Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
/0/100/3               multimedia     Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
/0/100/14              bus            8 Series USB xHCI HC
/0/100/14/0    usb2    bus            xHCI Host Controller
/0/100/14/0/2          input          USB Receiver
/0/100/14/0/5          communication  Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth
/0/100/14/0/6          input          Touchscreen
/0/100/14/0/7          multimedia     HD WebCam
/0/100/14/1    usb3    bus            xHCI Host Controller
/0/100/16              communication  8 Series HECI #0
/0/100/1b              multimedia     8 Series HD Audio Controller
/0/100/1c              bridge         8 Series PCI Express Root Port 1
/0/100/1c.2            bridge         8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3
/0/100/1c.2/0  enp4s0  network        RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
/0/100/1c.3            bridge         8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4
/0/100/1c.3/0  wlp5s0  network        QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
/0/100/1d              bus            8 Series USB EHCI #1
/0/100/1d/1    usb1    bus            EHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d/1/1          bus            USB hub
/0/100/1f              bridge         8 Series LPC Controller
/0/100/1f.2            storage        8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode]
/0/100/1f.3            bus            8 Series SMBus Controller

There is no system but GNU,
and Linux is one of its kernels.

#5925 2017-05-15 16:28:44

FasmidoDesdeñoso

Hi all,

this is my first time in Arch Linux, I expect it will be hard but I think I will learn a lot.

Board footer