You are not logged in.

#576 2009-08-14 01:46:11

tallmtt

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello World!

I am new to the forum but have been running Arch for ~3 months now.  I love it!  I wish I had sooner.  System is Acer AspireOne with upgraded memory to 1.5Gb.

I run KDE on it which runs great.  I use compiz with emerald window decorations.

I have used everythign from Slackware to Gentoo to Ubuntu and Debian - I absolutely love Arch.  Strong work to all the developers and users out here.  Hope to join the developer/documenting ranks as Abel to.

Cheers

--MR

#577 2009-08-14 04:03:14

jgomo3

I liked to do LFS for Linux learning and work use the results as my distro, but i have only one machine. I thought archlinux as a good choice for this purpose and i was right. Between all other linux distro candidates i picked archlinux because i now two friends using it.

#578 2009-08-14 07:03:40

wonks

Coming from Ubuntu, Arch is truly amazing. It makes me feel that I am in control of my system again, editing rc.conf, mkinticpio.conf etc. Enjoying my experience with Arch.

Last edited by wonks (2009-08-14 07:04:09)

#579 2009-08-14 09:09:24

sistematico
Website

Hi all! big_smile

Lucas Saliés Brum
blog | medium | vk | twitter | github | .share
Forgive the spelling and grammar, English is not my native language.

#580 2009-08-15 13:38:54

Captain Tux

Greetings, Arch Linux users! First ever post... and I know it wont be the last. I'm still new to Linux, and obviously Arch, but I'm learning my way around... my hope is to be proficient in its use and one day help others.

Semper Fi!

Rookie Arch User

#581 2009-08-15 22:48:53

matty

I'm new to Arch, but not to Linux, I've been a disciple of the Penguin for about 10 years. I'm a refugee from Fedoraland and this week made the decision to move across.

Thus far I'm very impressed. smile Installation and configuration has been straightforward. I've learned a lot about the internals of a Linux system. Special thanks to those who compile and maintain the Wiki - particularly the beginners guide.

Excellent stuff.

Cheers,

Matty

#582 2009-08-16 04:43:03

x33a
Forum Fellow

hello folks, like a lot of arch users, i too have migrated from ubuntu.

I moved to linux a year back (hardy, intrepid, then jaunty). i thought about giving arch a try, a few times in the past, but could not make up my mind.

but with the release of 2009.08 i gathered the courage and finally installed arch linux. the only problem i had was with getting pulseaudio to work, i have removed it for now, but might try again later. everything is working good and doesn't feel too different from ubuntu (since i love gnome).

well, i hope arch will impress me, like it has impressed a lot of people.
smile

Last edited by x33a (2009-08-16 04:43:20)

#583 2009-08-17 03:05:58

lda-daemon

Howdy,
Been playing with Arch for about two weeks now... good stuff. The wiki is awesome, the only thing I'm having issues with is wireless (wpa_supplicant has always been my kryptonite). Been using live distros mostly for a number of years. Had OpenSuSe up and running for a while. Can't remember how I got to archlinux.org, but I liked what I read and here I am.

As a side note, if anyone needs a beta tester/debugger I would like to get into development.

Cheers!

#584 2009-08-18 03:19:56

garand555

Hello,

I've been using Arch for about a month or so.  I didn't read through the whole thread, but it seems that I'm different from most people.  I didn't switch from Ubuntu.  I came over from Gentoo.  Updates started breaking too many things and I got tired of tracking down the problem or patching ebuilds/source files.  I messed around with Ubuntu for a few of days between leaving Gentoo and coming here.  I didn't like it.  I'm a person who likes to tweak things and I quickly found out that fixing Ubuntu when I broke it wasn't as easy as fixing Gentoo when I did something bad.  I decided to look for another rolling release distro.  So far I think Arch is pretty slick.

Jesse
Albuquerque, New Mexico

#585 2009-08-18 04:49:10

rubix

Hello everyone

Just came back to linux after I havent used for a couple months. Of course i chose my favorite archie smile. I'm triple booting so I had the other choice of debian(I was using my vista partition). Decided to join up here and hopefully learn alot and try to help out with any knowledge I can pass around.

So yeah, hopefully I can learn/help alot big_smile

#586 2009-08-19 21:14:40

Raws

Hello all!

First of all, forgive any misspeling. I´m not an English Speaker. Forgive, also, if I´m posting on the wrong place, I'm still not familiar with forums.

About a year ago, I´ve swiched to Linux (using Ubuntu and his derivatives like Mint, and SuperOS), after almost 20 years of MS oppression (since DOS 2.0).

Recently I´ve read a lot of articles and news about Arch, and I loved its concept.

This weekend, I pretend to take the challenge of installing it on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5738-6922 - Centrino 2 - C2D E6400, intel vídeo, 3GB RAM, 320GB HD) or in my Desktop (Core 2 Duo e4500, Asus P5k SE, 2GB ram, GF 8800GT, 2.5TB in 3HDs). 

Both are running Super OS 9.04 (ubuntu derivative with multimedia codecs) in dualboot with Windows (XP on the laptop, Vista on the Desktop).

I was inclined to install it on the laptop, as it is suffering with the intel video Bug (as the kernel and driver of ubuntu are outdated). On the other hand, I´m a little concerned if a laptop install would be much more complex than a desktop one. 

So, as it is impossible to be more Noob than me in Arch (at least, I'm eager to learn, humble, and do know my limitations). Are there any recomendations for the upcomming install?

Thanks for any feedback,

Raul

#587 2009-08-20 15:05:20

Archvenian

6 month use archlinux,,and its rock

hello everyone!

#588 2009-08-20 17:02:08

Toonzee

Hello everybody,

I'm 46, assembling my own PCs since about 1993, I've been a PC flight-sim fan for about ten years. I came to Linux by installing Debian in spring 2007, but, as I wanted more up-to-date packages, I switched to Arch two years later. So far, i like its simplicity, even though living on the bleeding edge implies that sometimes you have to get your hands dirty to make things work. But it's part of the fun!

#589 2009-08-21 14:59:16

jhvid

Hello everyone!! lol

My name is Jonas and im from Denmark.
I've just switched from Kubuntu to Archlinux and kdemod smile.

Last edited by jhvid (2009-09-05 18:02:12)

GCS d- s-:+ a12 C++++ U++++ L+++ P--- E--- W+++ N+ o K- w--- O? M-- V? PS PE
Y- PGP? t? 5? X? R tv b+++ DI+ D- G++ e++ h! !r !y

Please ignore me... I'm pretty weird...

#590 2009-08-21 22:32:52

fossil

Hello everyone,

I'm certainly new to the unix/linux world, but determined to learn all I can about it.  I've tried Ubuntu in the past, but that was just too easy wink  At the suggestion of a colleague I've decided that Arch is a good place to start really learning linux.

#591 2009-08-23 11:22:46

lumpy

G'day all,

Just wanting to submit my first post and this seems like an ideal place to start.

come from a non-IT background,
become disgruntled with MS,
flew an Ubuntu flag for a while (since dapper),
dabbled with a few distro flavours,
nothing seemed to scratch that itch,
read many happy Arch'ers comments,
gave it a whirl
now on the Arch bandwagon for five months,
And enjoying the ride
and satisfied! 

big big cheers to Arch, its developers and those that contirbute

#592 2009-08-24 09:36:47

ffuentes

Hello, my name is Francisco and I`ve been using Arch Linux from... yesterday xD

Arch is a great distro.

Cheers Archers!

From Santiago, Chile

#593 2009-08-25 05:43:15

Hermano Arco

Well, officially hello to everyone!

My path with linux till this point started way back with Redhat 4.2 in -98 (yes, I'm pretty old). From the early days I went thru Mandrake, Debian, Vector, Gentoo and Ubuntu to reach this point. I have been settling in with Arch for a week now, and I feel pretty comfortable with it.

I used Gentoo for about three years until I got sick of compiling and fixing stuff. Then I spent another three years with Ubuntu. While I really liked .debs, I missed the overall control I had with Gentoo. And then of course my Ubuntu broke every six months tongue

Arch feels like compact and agile distribution that doesn't hide things from me. I currently have it installed on both my desktop and laptop.

Big thanks to all developers and contributors!

#594 2009-08-25 07:40:07

bdjnk

Greetings and salutations!

I've just started using Arch Linux and I love it. This is exactly what I was looking for almost seven years ago when I first scrapped XP and attempted to install Gentoo at the tender age of nineteen. Of course I failed miserably three times despite weeks reading and rereading mounds of documentation.

So nixing that idea I went in search of an easier distro, and after many adventures (isn't that what you call a miserable time in retrospect?) I finally settled with PCLinuxOS because I found it to be absolutely perfect. It's a rolling release so there is no need to constantly reinstall. Everything works out of the box. Nothing every goes wrong.

It was quiet, a little too quiet. I felt like I was running Window minus the viruses (and registry). Everything was hidden from sight and I wanted to get my hands dirty. I wanted to know what was going on at every level of my system. That was why I chose Gentoo in the first place. That was why I chose Linux!

Thanks to some lovely people on the PCLinux forum I heard about Arch. So I read about it, contemplated it, then installed it. Now I've got the awesome wm with vimperator in one tag and mrxvt in another with three instances of vim and a half dozen man pages open, all to try and customize the whole thing to my liking. Whee fun!

This is Michael, hailing from Seattle, and wishing everyone the same grand ol' time I'm having. Go to it!

#595 2009-08-26 05:07:09

regeya

Howdy.  Popping over here from Ubuntu.  Kubuntu left me cold, I went searching for what people recommended as a great KDE4 distro, saw a few recommendations for Arch + KDEmod, and here I am.

I started with Slack back in '96, mostly stopped using Linux in '98 when I switched to being a liberal arts major ;-) then went to Red Hat, then Mandrake for KDE (seeing a pattern here? ;-) then a variety of distributions including long stints with Gentoo and Ubuntu.

So far, I'm very impressed with what I see.  smile

#596 2009-08-26 20:18:11

tsvensson

Hi all!
I'm a new Arch Linux user. Actually I'm quite new to Linux as well, < 1 year experience.
My main reasons why I'm testing Arch is:
1. Wanna try something new
2. Tired of Windows, crashes, reboots and so on. However one has come to used with these obstacles...
3. I like the KISS-principle
4. Ubuntu is easy, but it does not satisfy my curiosity of how things really work in Linux :-)

I've been running it for a couple of weeks now, and I really like it!
Hopefully I can switch almost entirely to Linux. I'm planning on running Windows in a Virtual Box for special needs.

Torbjörn

#597 2009-08-27 05:42:31

wojox

Hey everyone,
Brand new to Arch. In fact it's still synchronizing. Core is up to date.
I've only recently ( four months ago ) join the Linux community.
Heard lots of good input from the Ubuntuforums site, which was my first and only distro, about Arch.
Look forward to being a part of the Arch community.

“Simplicity is the key to brilliance.” - Bruce Lee

#598 2009-08-29 07:54:54

zrl1986
Website

hello everyone

#599 2009-08-29 17:21:12

some-guy94

Hello, I've been using linux for 4-5 years now, I needed a more poweruser-aimed distro, and switched to archlinux.

#600 2009-08-30 08:22:08

NEscalona

Hi all. I approve of Arch philosophically, and would like to get to know it better. I am familiar with both Windows and Mac, and first tried Arch a few months ago.

Board footer